Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Stats Question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Stats Question

For the life of me I can't find the answer to this question.
I see lots of places where these stats are simply explained)....but, I feel like they leave out a key description of the calc.

I guess it boils down to this.....in ends that are blanked, do those count as 'possible ends' for any of the stats SE, HE and FE?

If you didn't have the hammer and the 'possibility' was there to steal and you didn't....does it go into the calc?

So, if the hammer team in the first end pulls 3, the next 8 ends are blanked and the other team pulls 2 in the 10th...it seems wierd to say that teams A+B both had 100% HE (by not counting the blanks). Same for the 'force'. I know it's 'fluid' and it may not be that the team 'forced' the blank...and, by the same token, they didn't manage to steal...so, does that count against them there?

Geurts? help?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-15-15 02:50PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

From My Book , End Game.

CurlingZone Team Statistics
Those crazy CurlingZone guys have made other contributions to the game of curling. In the first edition of the self-published book The Black Book of Curling, they explained several statistics that were brand spanking new (unless you had previously read their web site). More on the Black Book in Chapter 10. A description of the once new but now a little older curling stats.

Game Statistics:
Points for and against per game (PF/G and PA/G) and ends for and against per game (EF/G and EA/G). An "End For" is simply an end where the team counted a score. Blank ends per game (BE/G) is the last per game stat. The per game stats are based on a 10 end game. This is calculated by multiplying the
totals by 10 and then dividing total number of ends played.

End Statistics:
Points for and against per end (PF/E and PA/E). PF/E is calculated by number of total points for divided by ends in which points were taken by the team. PA/E is points against divided by total ends scored against.

Efficiency Statistics

Hammer Efficiency (HE) is the percentage of time a team takes 2 or more
points with hammer, in ends which are scored. All ends in which a team has hammer and the result was not a blank are included in the calculation.

Force Efficiency (FE) measures the ability of a team to force their opponent to one point. Calculated by taking number of ends in which the opponent took 1 point with hammer and divided by total number of ends against without
hammer. Stolen and blank ends are not included in the calculation.

Steal Efficiency (SE) is the percentage of ends in which a team is able to steal. It's calculated by dividing ends for without hammer by the total ends played without hammer, Blank ends are included in the calculation.

Steal Defence Efficiency (SDE). The ability for a team to limit the number of stolen ends surrendered. Calculated by number of ends stolen against divided by ends with hammer. Blank ends are included. Unlike the previous 3 metrics,
smaller is better

Old Post 02-18-15 04:22PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

For Force Efficiency, should a team with hammer that scores 1 point in the 10th end or extras have it count against them, if they only needed 1 point to win the match?

Old Post 03-05-17 11:47AM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote