Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Peoples thoughts on Stopwatches
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Stopwatches Are Already Illegal!

It's time that the use of stopwatches is reviewed. They should be banned now as there are already rules in place. Consider the following, excerpted from the CCA rules of Curling for General Play:

I will play the game with a spirit of good sportsmanship
..pine tar, corked bats, hockey sticks either too long or with exceptional curves, and stopwatches, all examples of poor sportsmanship.

. ..interpret the rules in an impartial manner, always keeping in mind that the purpose of the rules is to ensure that the game is played in an orderly and fair manner.
If one team is using stopwatches and the other is not, this would be an obvious example of an unfairness.

Section 14-2 Measuring: No physical device to aid visual observation shall be used in measuring prior to the last stone delivered in the end coming to rest except as provided for in Rule 12(7) and 14(4) .
This last rule is key. A stopwatch is a physical device, is aiding visual observation and is used to measure(time, velocity and acceleration) The rule is already being violated. It's just that nobody has yet enforced the rule.

Finally, it's only a matter of time that technology overtakes the rulebook, making a mockery of fair play. Here's an example:

CCA rocks have an "Eye on the Hog" electronic sensor built into each rock. There is also a magnetic strip embedded into the hog line. It would be fairly easy for someone to create a device(or even an app) that senses the point that the rock crosses the line, measure the velocity, then update the sweeper with the exact point where the rock will come to rest, giving updates every half a second or so(Patent Pending, watch for me on Dragon's Den:-). Does anyone else see where this is leading to?

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 01-18-14 at 12:03PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-14 11:34AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

Er um no. Just no

You're completely mis-citing the rule. That rule is about measuring the position of a stationary stone.

Those sensor handles are a giant pain. I have played enough games with them to really not like them. I doubt the magnetic strip in the ice (which is actually a few inches past the hog line) could be a reliable data collection method.

Old Post 01-18-14 08:54PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Er, um, hear me out..

Perhaps that chapter needs a clarification whether it refers to stationary stones or not. In any case, whether the intent of the rule was for stationary stones or not, the spirit of the rule is that a team or player cannot use a physical device as an aid, and therefore an advantage over their opponent.

Here's a portable device that can calculate acceleration with an accuracy of .1 mS:

http://www.pasco.com/family/smart-timer/index.cfm

Unlike split times on a stopwatch, it goes the extra step and will basically calculate where the rock is going to stop.
This is the potential future of our game. Does anyone still think this falls within the spirit of good sportsmanship and fairness?

Old Post 01-19-14 09:57AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

Re: Er, um, hear me out..

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
Perhaps that chapter needs a clarification whether it refers to stationary stones or not. In any case, whether the intent of the rule was for stationary stones or not, the spirit of the rule is that a team or player cannot use a physical device as an aid, and therefore an advantage over their opponent.

Here's a portable device that can calculate acceleration with an accuracy of .1 mS:

http://www.pasco.com/family/smart-timer/index.cfm

Unlike split times on a stopwatch, it goes the extra step and will basically calculate where the rock is going to stop.
This is the potential future of our game. Does anyone still think this falls within the spirit of good sportsmanship and fairness?

I use a stop watch all the time as a skip to keep track of the weight of incomeing rocks so I can get a sense of if the ice is changing or if there are heavier spots in the ice. Since every one is allowed to use a stop watch I think it's fair, and you'd be a fool not to.

However, I completely agree with your logic that we're all using an electronic device to aid our skill in the game. Golfers (in the PGA at least) certainly aren't allowed to use a range finder. Part of the skill of golf is judging the distance to the hole. Part of the skill in curling is judging the weight of the rock. I'd be all for banning stop watches ... as long as it's fair for both sides. The only problem I can see with this is you would have some coaches timing rocks and there would be nothing to prevent them from relaying this information.

Old Post 01-21-14 11:12AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Er, um, hear me out..

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey
However, I completely agree with your logic that we're all using an electronic device to aid our skill in the game. Golfers (in the PGA at least) certainly aren't allowed to use a range finder.

Too bad, it might speed the game up.

Old Post 01-21-14 11:59AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Er, um, hear me out..

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

However, I completely agree with your logic that we're all using an electronic device to aid our skill in the game. Golfers (in the PGA at least) certainly aren't allowed to use a range finder.

Slightly off topic, but the USGA will be testing this out at a low key event this year. If it gets positive reviews, you might start to see range finders in competitive golf soon.

Old Post 01-21-14 01:00PM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngrperformance
Harvey Hacksmasher

Commercial Offices

Commercial offices are vital spaces designed to meet the needs of businesses, providing the infrastructure required for productivity and collaboration. Whether you’re a startup or an established company, Commercial Offices offer the facilities and professional environment necessary to operate effectively. The right office space can enhance workflow, foster teamwork, and create an atmosphere that supports business growth.

The oil catch cans function to captures excess oil and relieve pressure in the crankcase. Oil catch cans also filter oil and other harmful contaminants from building inside the intake, thus hurting fuel economy and horsepower.

Old Post 08-16-24 03:45PM
ngrperformance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngrperformance Visit ngrperformance's homepage! Find more posts by ngrperformance Add ngrperformance to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote