Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canada Cup
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Netz
Swing Artist

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere but I can't find it.

Why only 7 Men's teams ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-06-18 12:33PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Did I just see a split screen during the commercials? Wow. Did TSN read this board and heed the advice?

Old Post 12-06-18 12:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Netz

Why only 7 Men's teams ?

I "Think" there's an additional ladies team because the last 2 teams were so close in points they were essentially tied. It also happened at the pretrials.

Old Post 12-06-18 12:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Netz

Why only 7 Men's teams ?

https://www.tsn.ca/curling-season-h...tevan-1.1218554

"The fields for this event will have an odd look to them because there will be seven teams on the men’s side and eight on the women’s. Casey Scheidegger, Kerri Einarson and Darcy Robertson finished in a virtual three-way tie for the final two spots in the qualification standings last year, meaning each squad received an invite to the Canada Cup."

Old Post 12-06-18 12:55PM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Vic has always played the "Stupid Announcer" role on curling casts. He's done it well and for a long time. He's approaching 65 but still seems viable as he's seldom used on other TSN properties.

If anything he was trying to be super-bright Vic this a.m. He usually doesn't get tagged with morning games so he may have forgotten his role.

Jacobs - Kennedy Gang?

WOW - JUST WOW!!!

Old Post 12-06-18 01:03PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

i think vic is great

everyone on all networks doing a good job

not easy to be positive for three hours 3x a day for 5 days x 6 x a year

especially when sheidigers sweepers brush all the way and tie point then rolls out

for ml and 2 others - if not swept she ties it

Old Post 12-06-18 01:32PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BG95
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
i think vic is great

everyone on all networks doing a good job

not easy to be positive for three hours 3x a day for 5 days x 6 x a year

especially when sheidigers sweepers brush all the way and tie point then rolls out

for ml and 2 others - if not swept she ties it

Were we watching the same game? That rock needed to be swept, it over curled. Hit it more on the outside and she ties it up! Good sweeping but not good enough.

Old Post 12-06-18 02:08PM
BG95 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BG95 Find more posts by BG95 Add BG95 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Homan vs. Jones

Lead to 3rd, teams pretty even. Dawn & Lisa a wash off. Courtney & Joss fairly even except Courtney twice as strong brusher as JP; Kaitlyn & Emma take turns tormenting each other - too close to call.

Only category that has big differential = SKIP

Jones can no longer stand up to Rachel Homan; Homan far more accurate hitting the broom, throwing massive weight and generally tossing games 10 to 15 pts. higher than Jones.

Jones still the superior offensive mind but if you can't complete the shots it really doesn't matter.

If Homan is on her game - this match should be shaking around end 8 or 9.

Old Post 12-06-18 08:24PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Other factors in Jones vs. Homan:

Jones forces her players to play increasingly difficult shots with high degrees of difficulty. Homan generally plays a simpler, more defensive game.

Homan's training is paying off, too! Jones often pays little attention to ice conditions or swing. She simply makes more mistakes than Homan.

Line calls and weight also favor Team Homan as Kaitlyn & JJ seldom on same wavelength - creating mass confusion for front end.

Jones is now running in the 60 to 72% area - simply not good enough to take out the top teams!

Old Post 12-06-18 08:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Vic has always played the "Stupid Announcer" role on curling casts.

I have to admit I do enjoy Vic's "humour" at times, with the US spellcheck.... come on Gerry, but I'd rather listen to the on ice players more than the in the booth commentators. I've said it before many times and I'll say it again, less is more. PLEASE let us hear the on ice discussion of the players, with or without the cursing. There is nothing wrong with ice level silence.... let us hear the game , instead of opinions of years gone by, waaaaay by, Why do "They" think we'd rather hear Howard, Bernard, Martin, Mike I won once Harris in 98 or Joan I was on one of the best teams ever as an average player McCusker. Of all of them Martin is the most credible but has fallen into the listen to me, sportsnet makes me spew for 2 hours at a time but sorry they pay me. Shut up and let the players call and comment on the game. At the VERY END, let Vic count them up. I think he can still count. And he's still funny.

Old Post 12-06-18 08:33PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Jones forces her players to play increasingly difficult shots with high degrees of difficulty. Homan generally plays a simpler, more defensive game.

Homan's training is paying off, too! Jones often pays little attention to ice conditions or swing. She simply makes more mistakes than Homan.

Line calls and weight also favor Team Homan as Kaitlyn & JJ seldom on same wavelength - creating mass confusion for front end.

Jones is now running in the 60 to 72% area - simply not good enough to take out the top teams!

no, you are right, she can't stand up to Homan - lol

I would think you would know by now, she is the best at coming back...never count her out.

Old Post 12-06-18 09:22PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

And she is up 8-2 over a struggling Homan...yep certainly being outplayed...not

Old Post 12-06-18 09:35PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Right again ML, hand shakes in eighth.

Old Post 12-06-18 10:20PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Other than her weak effort at the Olympics I can't remember Rachel Homan delivering such a putrid performance.

Jones curled up a storm - got to 78% herself but her front end were both in the 60s and the only real battle was at 3rd were Kaitlyn & Emma engaged in a real mid 80s battle.

Homan going south in Estevan is a huge surprise to this reporter.

Jones & Einarson haven't been setting any houses on fire but they'll probably both make playoffs.

After a sluggish start, Scheidegger has emerged as the team to beat.

Obviously, teams like Walker, Robertson, Carey, Flaxey were basically loitering. But Homan soldiering on with a limited completed shots is a bit of a shocker!

Old Post 12-06-18 10:41PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

This event clearly shows the state of women's curling in Canada. Only 3 provinces represented. And Homan the only upper echelon team in Ontario for the foreseeable future. This trend is not new but have and have not provinces/territories are wide apart.

Old Post 12-07-18 10:08AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
This event clearly shows the state of women's curling in Canada. Only 3 provinces represented. And Homan the only upper echelon team in Ontario for the foreseeable future. This trend is not new but have and have not provinces/territories are wide apart.

Very much agreed. Not having a comparable team in Canada to challenge her has made Homan a bit vulnerable - as getting skinned by a declining Jones last nite illustrates.

Old Post 12-07-18 10:22AM
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by bpm

https://www.tsn.ca/curling-season-h...tevan-1.1218554

"The fields for this event will have an odd look to them because there will be seven teams on the men’s side and eight on the women’s. Casey Scheidegger, Kerri Einarson and Darcy Robertson finished in a virtual three-way tie for the final two spots in the qualification standings last year, meaning each squad received an invite to the Canada Cup."

Thanks for that, figured there was something somewhere, it just seems that 7 is an odd number to have, thought maybe someone could not make it at the last minute so they decided to go with 7 instead of 8.

Old Post 12-07-18 10:30AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The women's side seems clearly a mess. With Homan seemingly disinterested and somewhat distracted from curling it seems Scheidegger might be the dominant team this week (and one of only 2 teams to legit challenge Homan once Homan gets her mojo back)

On paper Einarson seems the clear #3 alternative - but Kerri still misses way too many open shots and is still getting used to having Val in the saddle.

Jones has 3 powerful curlers in front of her - of that there is no question. Kaitlyn might be the best 3rd in the game but she's wasted playing for a skip with as many warts as JJ. JJ TKO'd a distracted Homan last nite but can just as easily have major disturbances vs. a lower tier team like Flaxey. Her percentages are way down from where they should be!

Carey seems almost a write-off. Far more nervous and scattered than Jones.

Early projection for STOH this season - TOP 3 should feature: Homan, Scheidegger and either Fleury, McCarville or Einarson. Jones is already there, I acknowledge but based on what I've seen she'll be fortunate to challenge for a tie-breaker before bowing out - and could easily finish up the track somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4

Old Post 12-07-18 10:32AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Praise from the Mountain Top

Some great praise from the Mountain Top being heaped upon Team Jacobs by Saint Kennedy. Here's a clip taken from a CBC interivew:

Kennedy feels the team's chemistry is strong in his first event with Jacobs.

"You get into that inner circle and you see what makes guys tick, what gets them up, why they play, their love for the sport, their values, their morals, their ethics," said Kennedy.

"I've been beyond impressed with what I've seen, and a lot in common with them, to be honest — more so than I ever thought. I think we've meshed together pretty well."

This could really be the start of a "SUPER TEAM". No question they were very good w/ Fry in tow. But with Kennedy's superior leadership, statesmanship and personality they could be right up there to challenge both Gushue & Koe. Bottcher is the only other Brier team I see giving these 3 a challenge. Epping & McEwen are probably Brier bound but don't have the shots & demeanour to contend for gold or silver!

Old Post 12-07-18 10:45AM
Netz
Swing Artist

There have been some good and bad rules introduced into curling in the recent past, one of the bad ones is the timing by end. Had enough of it already.

Old Post 12-07-18 11:25AM
Ajay
Swing Artist

Every athletes performance declines in their 40's and that includes curlers. While I’m not as analytical as ML, I have followed curling and ML's reviews for many years and know that she and her team have won lots and lots of games/tournaments since ML wrote her off , including Olympic gold (undefeated), whereas Homan didn’t make Olympic finals. I can see, eventually he will be right as years go on. I acknowledge the Homan team is/has been good and will no doubt win more.
Since most sports fans are homers, I suggest we have been provided with more enjoyment cheering on our Manitoba team, than perhaps any other Canadian province.

Old Post 12-07-18 11:31AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Sometimes you can have the most talented curler on your team, but if the chemistry has disappeared or was never there, you can only last so long.

This event is where I’ve seen Jacobs with a big smile on his face for the first time in a long time.

Old Post 12-07-18 05:53PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

They have played under those rules at the Elite 10 and World Cup in the past. This is not the first time for timed ends.

I've been working as a timing official for the CWC in Omaha and from my viewpoint, I kind of like it. Teams have adjusted well to the format. Haven't seen a team reach zero yet.

No time outs either so teams have to stick to the game plan and be disciplined. Works well and I believe it's for the benefit of TV.

Old Post 12-07-18 11:46PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Sometimes you can have the most talented curler on your team, but if the chemistry has disappeared or was never there, you can only last so long.

This event is where I’ve seen Jacobs with a big smile on his face for the first time in a long time.

Agreed - Brad never looked happier. Kennedy is a keeper. They'd be idiots to return him to sender. Kennedy seems to enjoy having an assertive skip to work with.

In the meantime I know a Manitoba team that could use the services of a hot-shooting, Manitoba-born 3rd. Name is Ryan Fry. Yes, he's a bit of a pain in the a - but he can shoot the lights out - and surely wake up the sleepy personalities of Reidorama & Magic Mike!

Old Post 12-08-18 12:29AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Agreed - Brad never looked happier. Kennedy is a keeper. They'd be idiots to return him to sender. Kennedy seems to enjoy having an assertive skip to work with.

In the meantime I know a Manitoba team that could use the services of a hot-shooting, Manitoba-born 3rd. Name is Ryan Fry. Yes, he's a bit of a pain in the a - but he can shoot the lights out - and surely wake up the sleepy personalities of Reidorama & Magic Mike!

Interesting to see if Jacobs drags Kennedy out of retirement....

Old Post 12-08-18 01:15AM