Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > The Pit > Belgium
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Belgium

I think that I speak for all curling fans, as well as all men and women in expressing our deepest condolences to all victims and their families.

I don't know how many of you have visited and experienced the beauty that is Europe. In light of this tragedy and the problems that people in North America are experiencing in tracking down friends and loved ones who may be in Belgium, I think it's time to re-think the ease of travelling from country to country over there. It's easier to drive from France to Spain than it is to cross the Peace Bridge from Ontario to Buffalo-in other words, it like driving from Ottawa to Hull, Quebec. With the advent of bar code passports, I would suggest that at the very least there should be checkpoints at borders where passports could be scanned. That way a country would know where its nationals are when outside the country. I know that this might be considered to be "infringing" on freedoms, but in this day and age, and given the fact that we have the tools at our disposal...

I hope I wasn't too political.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-23-16 at 06:16PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-16 01:59PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Belgium

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
I think that I speak for all curling fans, as well as all men and women in expressing our deepest condolences to all victims and their families.

I don't know how many of you have visited and experienced the beauty that is Europe. In light of this tragedy and the problems that people in North America are experiencing in tracking down friends and loved ones who may be in Belgium, I think it's time to re-think the ease of travelling from country to country over there. It's easier to drive from France to Spain than it is to cross the Peace Bridge from Ontario to Buffalo-in other words, it like driving from Ottawa to Hull, Quebec. With the advent of bar code passports, I would suggest that at the very least there should be checkpoints at borders where passports could be scanned. That way a country would know where its nationals are when outside the country. I know that this might be considered to be "infringing" on freedoms, but in this day and age, and given the fact that we have the tools at our disposal...

I hope I wasn't too political.

No, not at all Jim. Sometimes we need to go outside our family to vent our frustrations or just share some news that has us rethinking our own problems. It breaks my heart that peoples lives are being taken. It's also heartbreaking that so many people have been injured. Hopefully it won't be long before checkpoints at borders is the norm, as you say, that way each country will know where their nationals are either vacationing or whatever. Thanks for opening this thread. I also hope we don't get any negative feedback here.

Old Post 03-23-16 04:24PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I don't discount what you say but I also do not think CZ should be the forum for such a discussion.

Old Post 03-23-16 05:08PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
I don't discount what you say but I also do not think CZ should be the forum for such a discussion.

Read the sticky at the top of "The Pit"...this is exactly the kind of post the pit is made for. Almost every forum on the interweb has a general "other stuff" directory where people can post pretty much what they want.

Old Post 03-23-16 05:17PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Sorry. Guess I read the name of the website. Silly me

Old Post 03-23-16 06:24PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote