Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > The Pit > Statistics for Wins With Hammer
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
weldit
Harvey Hacksmasher

Statistics for Wins With Hammer

Would someone out there have the statistics (and be willing to share them) for percentage of wins by teams that have hammer for first end. I would be interested in receiving that data for this Brier as well as any previous Briers that might be readily available.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-06-15 07:44PM
weldit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for weldit Click here to Send weldit a Private Message Find more posts by weldit Add weldit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Re: Statistics for Wins With Hammer

quote:
Originally posted by weldit
Would someone out there have the statistics (and be willing to share them) for percentage of wins by teams that have hammer for first end. I would be interested in receiving that data for this Brier as well as any previous Briers that might be readily available.

Looking at Brier, Worlds, Trials, Slams, Provincials, Olympics and WCT events, it's just below 60%.

Old Post 03-07-15 12:01AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Women are around 56%

Old Post 03-07-15 12:02AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weldit
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thank you Milobloom, I was expecting the number to be considerably higher but I suppose when you consider the numbers would be skewed somewhat as often the top seeded team(s) would defeat he lowest seeded team(s) regardless of who has the hammer. Still 56 or 60 percent does indicate a significant advantage in having the hammer for start of game!!

Old Post 03-07-15 07:57AM
weldit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for weldit Click here to Send weldit a Private Message Find more posts by weldit Add weldit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

If hammer is decided by draw to the button, statistically the better team will also win the draw to button, hence getting hammer in the first place, no?

Old Post 03-07-15 09:21AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think your stats for starting with the hammer are way out.
A random check of a couple provinces and a couple teams in the Briar.

BC Scotties the women starting with hammer won 90% of the games and the men was 69%

In Saskatchwan the women was 67% and the men 63%

Jacobs has won every game with the hammer 100%

Jamie Koe's only won the hammer 3 times this week so teams against him would be 72%

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.67.83.105

Old Post 03-07-15 02:05PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think your stats for starting with the hammer are way out.
A random check of a couple provinces and a couple teams in the Briar.

BC Scotties the women starting with hammer won 90% of the games and the men was 69%

In Saskatchwan the women was 67% and the men 63%

Jacobs has won every game with the hammer 100%

Jamie Koe's only won the hammer 3 times this week so teams against him would be 72%

That's the problem with small sample sizes. If you want more reliable numbers, you need more data.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-07-15 02:37PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I have been checking the stats for hammer wins for several years now and I have yet to find an event where the teams were
fairly evenly matched that the hammer hasn't won at least 60% of the time. So I'm sure the average would be much higher.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.67.83.105

Old Post 03-08-15 03:40PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote