Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > How To Put Together A Team
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlky
Drawmaster

How To Put Together A Team

I am looking for some feedback from other people/clubs on how they help beginners set up a team to go to a 5 & Under bonspiel. Here is my hypothetical situation.

A team of beginners curlers who have curled for 1 year would like to go to a bonspiel. They are all of relatively similar skill, and experience at any position. These 4 people come to you and ask, how do we decide which of us should play which position in the upcoming spiel?

How would you help then to decide? Don't be politically correct in your answer here, more interested in yoru thought process. Things I would like to know, which position do you put your worst player at? How do you decide which skills are best for each position. And reminder, assume all players have played each position a similar amount, meaning they have the same amount of broom holding experience and sweeping experience.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-27-17 12:38PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

First you ask who wants to skip. While they all may have spent time in the house you may only have one player who actually wants to throw last rocks and call the game. You also don't want to push someone to skip that doesn't want to do it.

Then ask everyone else what they want to play. At this point is more about being comfortable and having fun than making strategic lineup decisions.

I would put the player least comfortable hitting at lead, most teams will have their weakest thrower playing lead, so any lead rocks in play are good and if they can find consistent guard or draw weight you'll be playing from ahead a lot.

For second and vice that's more individual preference, I'd lean toward the more consistent thrower at third, but the preference of sweeping vs holding the broom is more important.

If they don't have strong preferences then just plan to mix it up during the spiel. I don't know that the team that plays that way often winds up with the biggest trophy, but sometimes those teams look like they're having the most fun.

If this team stays together for a few spiels positions will naturally work themselves out.

Old Post 01-27-17 01:13PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

important that lead has access to a mini van and high limit credit card

Old Post 01-27-17 05:20PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

The beauty of throwing lead for a 5 and under team is that the other players don't know what the lead's real responsibilities are.

Old Post 01-27-17 06:19PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shrike
Hitting Paint

If possible, put the strongest sweepers at lead and second.

It might take a little time to find out who can do what, and you might have to try a few combinations before you find the right fit, but once you do, stick to it.

Every position has its own unique qualities and its important all the players on the team buy into the position they end up in. No disgrace to being the lead!

There's also the option of having a Ferbey arrangement where the last rock thrower doesn't call the game. Or having another person besides the third rock holding the broom. Personally I've had teams where the lead is holding the broom when I throw last rocks.

Last edited by shrike on 01-27-17 at 07:29PM

Old Post 01-27-17 07:24PM
shrike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shrike Click here to Send shrike a Private Message Find more posts by shrike Add shrike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squireoh
Knee-Slider

Last season I was in the position of playing in bonspiels for the first time. Most of the advice giving here is solid, especially the part about changing the lineups until the right one reveals itself.

The thing I want to emphasize is don't be afraid to try something completely different. When our team found the best lineup the skip threw lead, and the curler who threw skip stones wanted nothing to do with strategy and decision making. It wasn't the traditional way of doing things, but it worked best for us.

So my advice would be to find out where each curler's talents are maximized and put them there. If it means the curler throwing skip stones is neither the skip nor the vice, so be it.

Old Post 01-27-17 10:19PM
squireoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squireoh Click here to Send squireoh a Private Message Find more posts by squireoh Add squireoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NieveHopkins
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by gmay48
important that lead has access to a mini van and high limit credit card

To create a team you should deal with a lot of problems.First you need to clearly outline the purpose and goals of your sports team. Whether it's for recreational purposes, local competitions, or professional leagues, having a clear vision will guide your decisions. Research and apply for grants or funding opportunities provided by local sports organizations, government bodies, or private foundations. These can significantly alleviate financial burdens. Or try to find something like advance cash app that can support you with money via phone and via the internet. Create and sell team merchandise such as jerseys, hats, and other items. This can be an additional revenue stream to support the team financially.

Old Post 02-28-24 09:32AM
NieveHopkins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NieveHopkins Find more posts by NieveHopkins Add NieveHopkins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NieveHopkins
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by NieveHopkins

To create a team you should deal with a lot of problems.First you need to clearly outline the purpose and goals of your sports team. Whether it's for recreational purposes, local competitions, or professional leagues, having a clear vision will guide your decisions. Research and apply for grants or funding opportunities provided by local sports organizations, government bodies, or private foundations. These can significantly alleviate financial burdens. Or try to find something like advance cash app that can support you with money via phone and via the internet. Create and sell team merchandise such as jerseys, hats, and other items. This can be an additional revenue stream to support the team financially.

I can say that it is a right thing to do, so you better remember what I have said here.

Old Post 03-07-24 11:28AM
NieveHopkins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NieveHopkins Find more posts by NieveHopkins Add NieveHopkins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeliaSchwanke
Harvey Hacksmasher

Great read! I've never considered prostadine this perspective before.

Old Post 03-31-24 04:43AM
DeliaSchwanke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeliaSchwanke Find more posts by DeliaSchwanke Add DeliaSchwanke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote