Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Has anyone noticed how insanely high the %'s for all teams/players have been for the first 8 draws?

Doesn't add up at all.

Yes, I mentioned this yesterday. Its absurd. They need to change the whole system of scoring.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-20-12 12:36PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

on the other hand if a team does have a fantastic game they deserve to be rewarded. The numbers are not always inflated.

everyone on the canadian and danish teams had high numbers last night and deservedly so, it was a great game

i know numbers dont always tell the truth so you have to go from eye witness reports. Trust me some of those teams are that good

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-20-12 12:40PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Have they mentioned why Jessica isnt playing this morning?

She is sick with the flu.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-20-12 12:47PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Call me crazy, but I still have doubts about Germany. Way too early to establish much important to one game. I've never seen them play, so I am prepared to be surprised, but not expecting it.

Not so crazy apparently. Germany drifting down the standings.
Rather similar to Nova Scotia at the Brier in every way.

ps No disrespect meant to either team, both young teams
pulling off some nice wins early in the events, and
remaining competitive in most games.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-20-12 at 01:36PM

Old Post 03-20-12 12:57PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
on the other hand if a team does have a fantastic game they deserve to be rewarded. The numbers are not always inflated.

everyone on the canadian and danish teams had high numbers last night and deservedly so, it was a great game

i know numbers dont always tell the truth so you have to go from eye witness reports. Trust me some of those teams are that good

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Curled far too long and understand the game far too much to buy the absurdity that is how Curling games are scored these days.

Ignoring Amy Nixon's excellence as a sub, Canada had plenty of misses in their game yesterday. This is further illustrated by the amount of points they gave up and the fact they needed to steal two to get to an extra. Yet what was their team percentage after 9 ends ? Their second was not well; she missed numerous shots, what did they score her at ? I'm afraid to look really.

Old Post 03-20-12 01:22PM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Not so crazy apparently. Germany drifting down the standings.
Rather similar to Nova Scotia at the Brier in every way.

They had a nightmarish schedule to start the event though. That they even won 2 games out of that without Andrea is an accomplishment. Really they could be 3-2 right now but Mirjam made a fantastic angle raise through a hole with her last to get the win last night. I don't expect them to make playoffs but with some lighter games coming up lets see how they finish

Old Post 03-20-12 01:24PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Curled far too long and understand the game far too much to buy the absurdity that is how Curling games are scored these days.

Ignoring Amy Nixon's excellence as a sub, Canada had plenty of misses in their game yesterday. This is further illustrated by the amount of points they gave up and the fact they needed to steal two to get to an extra. Yet what was their team percentage after 9 ends ? Their second was not well; she missed numerous shots, what did they score her at ? I'm afraid to look really.

The numbers were definately not accurate for everyone. I agree with you because Jessica was graded at 90% and that is WAY off the mark. However they also had Lene Nielsen graded at 77% and Heather Nedohin at 81% which are fairly accurate numbers. Lene is actually probably under scored in my oppinion, I think she deserved at least to be scored at 80%

Old Post 03-20-12 01:35PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

I forget who it was, but someone posted,(in the Brier thread I think), that they had worked as a scorer. Apparently they were instructed to score "generously". I think we can safely say that most, if not all percentages are somewhat inflated.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-20-12 01:56PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

At the end of the day scoring is so difficult that I don't see any point in it at all. There are so many things to take in to consideration.

About this morning:

Germany mounted a spirited come back against the US and only lost on a measure. I think they can definately grab some more wins now that their schedule gets a little lighter

Scotland is now at 2-4 and with games against Sweden, China and Canada to come you have to think they have no choice but to run the table now

5 losses is looking alive. There are way to many teams at 4 losses for 5 not to be looked at at this point. I expect Canada, Switzerland and Sweden to finish clear of 5 losses.Canada and Sweden will each probably have around 2 or 3 and Switzerland will either finish 8-3 or 7-4. I am not sure about Kora. I don't know enough about them to know if they can keep things going. Denmark is very inconsistent and them finishing with 5 losses is very likely.

Old Post 03-20-12 02:07PM
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie svy

They had a nightmarish schedule to start the event though. That they even won 2 games out of that without Andrea is an accomplishment. Really they could be 3-2 right now but Mirjam made a fantastic angle raise through a hole with her last to get the win last night. I don't expect them to make playoffs but with some lighter games coming up lets see how they finish

Light sched... heavy sched, it really doesn't matter if you don't try some offense. When was the last time you saw GER throw a guard to start an end??? I watched and worked many of the games and I agree they are 4 very talented throwers, but you need some strategy to win games.

Old Post 03-20-12 02:12PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad

Light sched... heavy sched, it really doesn't matter if you don't try some offense. When was the last time you saw GER throw a guard to start an end??? I watched and worked many of the games and I agree they are 4 very talented throwers, but you need some strategy to win games.

True enough but keep in mind both the situation and the person you are asking to call an aggressive game. Also keep in mind the strategy these girls have been mentored on.

Old Post 03-20-12 02:14PM
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound
I forget who it was, but someone posted,(in the Brier thread I think), that they had worked as a scorer. Apparently they were instructed to score "generously". I think we can safely say that most, if not all percentages are somewhat inflated.

All of these events are going to be similar... the CCA has one guy who goes to all events and he oversees the stats and that is his only job. We volunteers simply do the scoring, as per general rules, and each pers is going to score differently... although it will along the guidelines set out by the CCA dude. As to how 'generous' you may see, it will depend on how much experience the scorer has... and if they are actually a competive curler so they understand the consequences of each shot.

Last edited by curlingmad on 03-20-12 at 03:33PM

Old Post 03-20-12 02:33PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

This just came on-line:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/...mpionships.html

It's Euro Sport's coverage of this tenth draw. Looks like we have Italia v. Deutschland. (And pop-up ads and obtrusive and loud audio overlay -- but it's live and in the third end.)

(Add: If anyone does tune in, do you know what language the host speaks?)

Old Post 03-20-12 04:36PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter
This just came on-line:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/...mpionships.html

It's Euro Sport's coverage of this tenth draw. Looks like we have Italia v. Deutschland. (And pop-up ads and obtrusive and loud audio overlay -- but it's live and in the third end.)

(Add: If anyone does tune in, do you know what language the host speaks?)

Thx as it seems to be working great and the pic is even a lot better than the TSN VOD. They are definitely German commentators but hey, you don't need to understand them to know what is going on.

Old Post 03-20-12 04:47PM
Unregistered

TSN live streaming

Anyone know where you click on the TSN site to get the live streaming of the afternoon draw? Their broadcast schedule indicates there is live streaming.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.53.226.166

Old Post 03-20-12 04:57PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad

Thx as it seems to be working great and the pic is even a lot better than the TSN VOD. They are definitely German commentators but hey, you don't need to understand them to know what is going on.

Well, they are not speaking german here. The language sounds very slavic but has a Romance grammar structure. I'd bet it is Romanian.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 95.91.27.31

Old Post 03-20-12 05:05PM
Unregistered

I clicked on link3 of the Euro Sport streaming and it has English commentary.

Old Post 03-20-12 05:20PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

*shrugs* - i'm lookin too. :-(

Old Post 03-20-12 05:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

Re: TSN live streaming

quote:
Anyone know where you click on the TSN site to get the live streaming of the afternoon draw? Their broadcast schedule indicates there is live streaming.

Anytime you go to the TSN site and select curling... you will ge the direct link to VOD if it is available... if not, then you won't see a link. Pretty sure there is only VOD when CDN is playing so no link this aft. If you use the link to the European feed in a previous post... you can at least watch the GER/ITA game which is on now. Just be careful not to select any of the numerous popups that show up and just use the video feed.

Old Post 03-20-12 05:31PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie svy
At the end of the day scoring is so difficult that I don't see any point in it at all. There are so many things to take in to consideration.

About this morning:

Germany mounted a spirited come back against the US and only lost on a measure. I think they can definately grab some more wins now that their schedule gets a little lighter

Scotland is now at 2-4 and with games against Sweden, China and Canada to come you have to think they have no choice but to run the table now

5 losses is looking alive. There are way to many teams at 4 losses for 5 not to be looked at at this point. I expect Canada, Switzerland and Sweden to finish clear of 5 losses.Canada and Sweden will each probably have around 2 or 3 and Switzerland will either finish 8-3 or 7-4. I am not sure about Kora. I don't know enough about them to know if they can keep things going. Denmark is very inconsistent and them finishing with 5 losses is very likely.

Denmark vs Korea has huge playoff implications. I suspect Korea drops back if they lose this one ( wheels could start coming off ). Denmark is very impressive in some games but its almost as if they don't believe they can win these events.

Old Post 03-20-12 05:43PM
Unregistered

The TSN site says "TSN.ca has live streaming of all weekday morning and afternoon draws." Which is not the same as VOD. But obviously, there is no live streaming of the afternoon game. Glad we can pick up the English commentated Euro Sport live feed.

Old Post 03-20-12 05:45PM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Well, they are not speaking german here. The language sounds very slavic but has a Romance grammar structure. I'd bet it is Romanian.

Link 2 on that page, I'm pretty certain, is German -- but I'm still confused on what language they're speaking on Link 1. (My money's still on Swedish.)

Glad to see a few of you get to put eyes on the game at any rate.

Old Post 03-20-12 06:12PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

Link 2 on that page, I'm pretty certain, is German -- but I'm still confused on what language they're speaking on Link 1. (My money's still on Swedish.)

Glad to see a few of you get to put eyes on the game at any rate.

Yeah, I didn't realize there were diff languages on the links... I used #2 and it was German... will try #3 for the English... good to know...thx

Old Post 03-20-12 06:24PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Crucial wins for Russia, Germany and Scotland today.

Old Post 03-20-12 07:03PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

<--Korea's Rockin'

Wholly Crow! EE Victory. Serious mental majesty happening here. Go Korea! PyeongChang here I come!

Old Post 03-20-12 07:28PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote