Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

Great hit and roll by Diana Gaspari to force Heather to a single

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-22-12 01:44PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:

2. Is that same awkward device -- the "micrometer" (thanks Vic!) or competition measure or dial reader or whatever -- is that used to make this last-stone drawn measurement? Or is there another device?

No. The device all curlers are familiar with (not awkward to use at all. Perhaps a little awkward to carry around!) isn't used.

They use something like this:

Some clubs have simply jerry rigged a hardware store tape measure to a piece of wood with a little spike to fit in the tee.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-12 01:55PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congratulations to Italy on their win over Canada. I think it's Diana's first ever so that's great for her.

Switzerland also hangs on and scores a crucial victory over Korea. That locks five loss teams out for sure

so as ManitobaLegend would call "the princes"Eve Muirhead is out of the picture. However with nothing left to play for but pride I think Scotland will prove to be very dangerous for Canada tonight so they better be on their A game

Old Post 03-22-12 01:58PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
If Italy actually held on and won here would this be the country's first every victory over Canada?

As far as I know, it is at the Womens Worlds. Italy beat Brad Gushues team at the Olympics. Don't know about the Mens Worlds.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-22-12 02:09PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by celtichound
Team Canada is reminding me of that Molly Hatchet song "Flirtin' With Disaster" today. Better turn it around.

Now it's the song Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)

Last edited by Guest on 03-22-12 at 02:31PM

Old Post 03-22-12 02:28PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

If Canada's going to win this event, their second has to get her act together. Rolling your hits out of that position isn't going to get the job done.

The big advantage they have is they have tiebreak advantage in most situations now. So beat Scotland and your in a good spot. Lose, well, that's not a good option at this point. Its basically a playoff game.

I predict they'll win tonight; Muirhead's probably not in a good place right now.

Old Post 03-22-12 02:29PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender
If Canada's going to win this event, their second has to get her act together. Rolling your hits out of that position isn't going to get the job done.

The big advantage they have is they have tiebreak advantage in most situations now. So beat Scotland and your in a good spot. Lose, well, that's not a good option at this point. Its basically a playoff game.

I predict they'll win tonight; Muirhead's probably not in a good place right now.

Muirhead is going to be extremely dangerous. She has curled much better ever since her game against Switzerland and if Canada is not firing on all cylinders they will lose.

Tonight should be interesting. I don't know but i would not want to be team Canada having to play Eve when she's playing for pride and ranking

Remember that Jessica still isn't feeling 100% so her shot making is suffering. It might be smart to call Amy in for the game tonight

But lets be honest here people this team has not looked that good this week. Heather has had to win games by herself a lot of the time and it's been that way since game one. I hope the rest of the line up wakes up for playoffs because if they dont Canada will not be winning anything let alone gold

Last edited by valkyrie svy on 03-22-12 at 02:40PM

Old Post 03-22-12 02:36PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

Swiss played their norm game this morn and left it all up to Mirjam in 10... both teams played real well and it was a scrapy game with each team making super shots throughout. I wouldn't want to meet either of these teams in the playoffs.

Not sure what happened to SWE in the last two games... definitely not the team that showed up in the first 8 games as they showed absolutely no offense and I thought I was watching GER for awhile. They aren't going to win this thing if they keep running scared. The US played decent and really had only about three good ends which won them the game... other than that they showed nothing.

China played real well but their week has been way too hot and cold... some great shots but also some duds. Wow, that second, Lui, is the best and would make any team better. Bingyu still fighting herself more than the opponent.

What can you say... CDN let another one go and it is never a good sign when you don't win the games you're supposed to. Just not good enough in the middle and both players are not executing good enough... although Beth did make some pistols this morn. I definitely wouldn't want my future left up to the last game as you might have to run the table just like the Scotties. Eve is due for a good game.

Old Post 03-22-12 02:58PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Team Canada is going to be super-motivated to win this evening, not just to bounce back from this morn's loss but to get a good placement in the playoffs. They're lucky that the other top teams also lost, and of the other 3, Sweden is the only one they lost to. Not sure about Eve. Normally I'd think Scot would be dangerous, but from the little they've shown us, they're definitely subpar this week. TC hasn't had 2 bad games in a row so far. I don't think this evening's game will change that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.103.29

Old Post 03-22-12 03:31PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
That old American Pride is starting to rear its ugly head. USA third and skip are tops in the stats dept. USA lead and 2nd are in 2nd place. WOW!!!

I'd be terrified of facing the Americans if I was Korea, Canada, Sweden, Suisse...... none of those teams have the horse-power the americans are now displaying!

Guess they better all win and make it a mute point!!!

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-22-12 04:55PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
That old American Pride is starting to rear its ugly head. USA third and skip are tops in the stats dept. USA lead and 2nd are in 2nd place. WOW!!!

I'd be terrified of facing the Americans if I was Korea, Canada, Sweden, Suisse...... none of those teams have the horse-power the americans are now displaying!

That is an over statement. The United states has great numbers because they are playing simple shots and the other teams are allowing them too.

they have been let off the hook a number of times by oponents as well dont forget. They nearly gave 3 to both russia and italy and had that see-saw game against germany.I dont know why but sweden was lulled into a defensive game against them today.

They are curling better but they are definately beatable and all four of the teams you mentioned above can do it for sure

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-22-12 05:05PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Now it's the song Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)

Rick Derringer....love it!!! I certainly hope not, but like I posted earlier, this is a team that seems to riding that thin edge. They haven't been overly bad, nor good. A lot of their wins on "unforced errors" by their opposition (yes, I acknowledge it's part of sports ), compounded by poor play and strategy on their part. They just haven't the grabbed bull by the horns (rock by the handle??)......so to speak. I certainly hope they can get it going.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-22-12 05:09PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

Sometimes I'm wondering if you are just being overly dramatic for effect or you truly believe these exaggerated opinions.

The Americans have done well for themselves, but in reality I would bet the house any of these teams would rather play them then any of the other teams. You might be terrified of them, but in reality this is a severe overreaction.

They rely far too heavily on their skip. It only takes one miss and their journey will end. They were extremely fortunate against Sweden that Pottinger bailed them out in the extra end.

Korea is far more dangerous in a one game situation.

Old Post 03-22-12 05:17PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gavinboy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm not 100% sure but I was at the worlds in Winnipeg back when the men and women played together and I am pretty sure the 15 year old Italian girl Diana Gaspari may have beaten Team Canada's Colleen Jones in the round robin? If she didn't beat her, I think Colleen might of drawn the button for the win, it was a very close game from what I can remember. It was the year when Deb McCormick beat Colleen for the title!

Old Post 03-22-12 05:22PM
gavinboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gavinboy Click here to Send gavinboy a Private Message Find more posts by gavinboy Add gavinboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

That is an over statement. The United states has great numbers because they are playing simple shots and the other teams are allowing them too.

they have been let off the hook a number of times by oponents as well dont forget. They nearly gave 3 to both russia and italy and had that see-saw game against germany.I dont know why but sweden was lulled into a defensive game against them today.

They are curling better but they are definately beatable and all four of the teams you mentioned above can do it for sure

Exactly. I'm not sure where he gets these ideas from. Might be instructive to note he was still touting China for top 4 long after the point where it was obvious they were a train wreck.

Old Post 03-22-12 05:23PM
gavinboy
Harvey Hacksmasher

In response to you ML, the hottest female curler of all time would have to be Geri-Lynn Ramsey, gorgeous, gorgeous girl!

Old Post 03-22-12 05:25PM
gavinboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gavinboy Click here to Send gavinboy a Private Message Find more posts by gavinboy Add gavinboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by gavinboy
I'm not 100% sure but I was at the worlds in Winnipeg back when the men and women played together and I am pretty sure the 15 year old Italian girl Diana Gaspari may have beaten Team Canada's Colleen Jones in the round robin? If she didn't beat her, I think Colleen might of drawn the button for the win, it was a very close game from what I can remember. It was the year when Deb McCormick beat Colleen for the title!

Canada won in an extra end, 10-9.

Old Post 03-22-12 05:43PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Sweden railroaded Denmark 7-2

that ends the danish hopes and cuts one way for the United States in off

Old Post 03-22-12 05:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Now that Sweden has decided to stop being Germany (and put the Danes away), EuroSport2 has turned their cameras to Russia -- who apparently just kicked a hornet's nest.

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/...mpionships.html

Old Post 03-22-12 06:02PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
If Korea continues to win over Russia, I can't really see Miri Ott going down to Russia tonite so all American hopes rest with Princess Eve Muirhead to make tonite's game vs. Canada their gold medal game and thrash Heather N.

If Canada gets thrashed by Scotland and America wins their last game, then Pottinger and Nedohin will contest a fourth place tie-breaker!

I said before that Korea was the bigger threat to take down Switzerland and give them a fourth loss than Russia. In my oppinion Russia would need to hope for Mirjam to throw in a stinker and it looks like she did that against Korea this morning. Stats show it was her lowest game yet at 74%

The entire Swiss team has looked very consistent all week and Mirjam is the top skip for a reason. I wouldn't count on two off games in a row from her if I was Russia

The chances of the US depends on what Denmark shows up. The one that played Switzerland and Canada that doesn't miss a thing or the oneat played Sweden that misses everything. If Denmark is on the US will have their hands full

Old Post 03-22-12 06:21PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
The chances of the US depends on what Denmark shows up.

The team that used to be Denmark just shook at the end of six.

Judging from the looks on their faces, I'd be shocked to see any passion or effort a few hours from now...

Old Post 03-22-12 06:27PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Well Sweden and Korea took care of business and both finish at 8-3.

we'll see what happens tonight now with Switzerland and Canada

Old Post 03-22-12 06:33PM
Unregistered

Italy just let Scotland off the hook. Had a shot for 3 and the win but Gaspari rolled out

Old Post 03-22-12 06:55PM
North60
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

The team that used to be Denmark just shook at the end of six.

Judging from the looks on their faces, I'd be shocked to see any passion or effort a few hours from now...

why so quick to write Denmark off? Lene got out curled by 30%. They've done well and had a shot so it's understandable if they were disappointed. i've seen 'better' teams lose worse and still show heart afterwards.

no passion or effort against the U.S.? i have a suspicion Pottinger is going to be in tough against the Danes.

Old Post 03-22-12 07:13PM
North60 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for North60 Click here to Send North60 a Private Message Find more posts by North60 Add North60 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
If Korea continues to win over Russia, I can't really see Miri Ott going down to Russia tonite so all American hopes rest with Princess Eve Muirhead to make tonite's game vs. Canada their gold medal game and thrash Heather N.

If Canada gets thrashed by Scotland and America wins their last game, then Pottinger and Nedohin will contest a fourth place tie-breaker!

What parallal universe are you watching ? The Scottish team doesn't speak Korean ( and vice-versa ). I'm actually thinking Switzerland could choke if given a chance, but more then likely there is a 4 way tie for first.

Old Post 03-22-12 07:17PM