Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

The reason that canadian team wanted the win today, CTRS points!!

The 1st place finisher gets a spot into the trials in winnipeg. That'll be Jennifer Jones, but she has already qualified. So the 2nd place finisher will get the spot. I guess the CCA will give that team 25 or 30 pts for their 3rd place finish. They'll have around 140 pts and firmly in 2nd. I think only s middaugh can catch nedohin whose 3rd. Middaugh would probably have to win the players championship while nedohin would have to miss the playoffs.

Couple of things

-Not sure i like 2nd place finishers getting a spot in the trials.

-CTRS points being handed out at a world championship.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.53.180.216

Old Post 03-25-12 07:16PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Fantastic world final and a fantastic final shot by Mirjam.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-25-12 09:30PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

What a game and what a shot!!! She almost touched their own rock too far.

Congrats Switzerland!!!!

Old Post 03-25-12 09:33PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pep

Congrats to the Swiss Miss! Helluva a shot to win a title mens or womens and a great curling game from start to finish. Shows what the ladies can do when they understand strategy.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.150.172.221

Old Post 03-25-12 09:33PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Huge Congrats to team Switzerland. Fantastic shot by Mirjam for the win and a fantastic couple of shots by Carmen Schafer to set that up.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-25-12 at 10:38PM

Old Post 03-25-12 09:37PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Women's curling at its best. Can't call her "dreary miss Miri" anymore ML!

Many will be trying that tick in club play tomorrow.

Old Post 03-25-12 09:38PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Man are both of the two teams in the final tonight at a level quite a bit higher than the rest of the teams at the Worlds. Both the 1-2 game and the final tonight were classics!

Old Post 03-25-12 09:42PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up Gold ROCKS Too

Another great game, congratulations ladies.

Old Post 03-25-12 09:48PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to Team Switzerland! What a game! Both teams played so well it's disappointing that one of them had to lose. It was a great game that came down to the very last shot, that's what finals should be!

Old Post 03-25-12 09:48PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Women's curling at its best.

I couldn't agree more, that was a great game to watch. It was especially interesting in the last two ends with the mulitiple strategy sessions and great shots.

Congrats to Team Schweiz and especially Mirjam for finally winning a world title!

Old Post 03-25-12 10:05PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The reason that canadian team wanted the win today, CTRS points!!

The 1st place finisher gets a spot into the trials in winnipeg. That'll be Jennifer Jones, but she has already qualified. So the 2nd place finisher will get the spot. I guess the CCA will give that team 25 or 30 pts for their 3rd place finish. They'll have around 140 pts and firmly in 2nd. I think only s middaugh can catch nedohin whose 3rd. Middaugh would probably have to win the players championship while nedohin would have to miss the playoffs.

Couple of things

-Not sure i like 2nd place finishers getting a spot in the trials.

-CTRS points being handed out at a world championship.

Looks like Heather will have 142.+ pts after 30 are added for her 3rd place finish at worlds. In theory Cathy O, as well as Sherry could still pass her. In Cathy's case she would have to win the Players, and Heather not win more than 2 games. For Sherry a bit more realistic. Could finish 1-3 if Heather really bombs out. I wouldn't put money on either of those scenarios.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.103.29

Old Post 03-25-12 11:16PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Congrats to Miriam and her team..well done .

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

Super shot by Super Miri!
EXTREMELY Very well played game by both teams...exciting!

Too bad Maria Prytz didn't have draw weight. Must be heart breaking for this Swedish team just to always come up short in the finals.

wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Very good game. Excellent to see it won on a made tough shot,

Old Post 03-26-12 02:01AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I'll be watching for a video clip of the final shot I've heard so much about. Am surfing for that now. All I know is it was a difficult chip and lay for two. If you see a clip, please pm me or post it here. Tnx.

update: found it on TSN.
update: thanks biterbar. Got a sense of Mirjam's ecstasy. Hard earned well deserved.

Last edited by nelski on 03-26-12 at 12:49PM

Old Post 03-26-12 11:20AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Biterbar

You can see the shot in the video portion of this website as well.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.196.96.198

Old Post 03-26-12 11:52AM
Unregistered

Well played game. Fantastic final shot. Congrats to a long deserving champion in Ott. I was really pulling for her in 10, after both her last 2 stones in 9 hurt them more than helped them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.25.39.22

Old Post 03-26-12 02:44PM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

A time of reflection...

First off congrats to Miriam for winning the WWCCs first for Switzerland since 1983. To make the gusty shot in the 10th shows that this team was playing for keeps that Sunday evening.

That week was a significant wake up call for the Chinese ladies let alone for me. I had some interesting observations over the last 10 days.

Before Lethbridge, both Chinese Teams were bunkered in Morris, Mantioba to train with the Hambleins. There was a call out for competitive teams to play against Team Wang and Team Rui before going to Grand Prairie. If there was a time to tinker with the lineups that would have been it...

In Grande Prairie, the lineup tinkering continued... It came out that Susan (Yue Qingshaung) was benched in favour of Lisa (Liu Jinli) and Sherri (Sun Yue).

In Lethbridge, we saw for the first time since 2002, Jenny (Zhou Yan) holding the broom at Vice for Betty. Coach Raphael menioned in the Curling Show once that he despised how the Chinese Curling Association ran practices making Jenny just throw draws, guards and picks as she was Lead while the others did other drills.

Now, NO ONE other than 1 unregistered poster had the ladies finish in the bottom 4. Heck they finished worse than the predicted 4 and 7... But none of those 8 losses were more than 2 points, with the infamous "7 to 5" showing up 6 times!!!

Betty's % was actually 4th in the WWCCs while Jenny played exceptionally well for Vice including 1 perfect game against Denmark. Lisa was shaky at Second while Sherri did okay at lead.

People in China think that Susan was hurt and could not play. I hope that she's okay but personally I think her pride took a beating when the mainstay at 2nd got sent to the bench and was pulled after 2 ends in the Sweden matchup.

Everyone here and in Betty's post game interviews talked about Liu Yin coming back. She is now a new mom (baby girl) with a husband and studying/possibly living in the USA. I would rather find another Liu Yin to replace her at vice.

I though that the 2010 PACC lineup the Flowers went with was good to go in Lethbridge. Susan remained throwing 2nd but would hold the broom for Betty. Sherri threw 3rd stones while Jenny and Lisa split Lead duties.

I am willing to go into a 2012-2013 season with this lineup...

5th: Lisa (Liu Jinli)
Lead: Sherri (Sun Yue)
2nd: Susan (Yue Qingshaung)
Vice: Jenny (Zhou Yan)
Skip: Betty (Wang Bingyu)

There are Jr. Women Curlers like Zhang Chung Mei, Jiang Yilun, Wang Rui, She Qingtong & Liu Sijia who can pickup the torch and continue with fight with the other senior curlers.

Howeber, maybe it's time for the Chinese Curling Association to split this squad. Have Susan form a team with some jr. curlers and give Betty a run for her money.

I spoke to Betty and she felt bad about what happened. Her team had the bad breaks and each opponent capitalized on them. The Ladies have Provincial and National tourneys left to finish their season.

That's my .02, hope the Flowers learn from this and rebound next season.

Old Post 03-29-12 03:05PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Where were you hiding during the worlds CS?

Old Post 03-29-12 08:47PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Where were you hiding during the worlds CS?

Licking my wounds... Watching the WWCCs, getting annoyed with the 7 to 5 results. I have to admit that I could have turned off the tv and curlcast like I did in 2010 when it was reported that Betty "did not" want to play against Eve.

I'll will say this about the Flowers, their will is stronger now and I think they will rebound next year. I spoke with Betty yesterday and she is not dwelling on the result. They'll learn from this.

Old Post 03-30-12 10:17AM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

the chinese team has gotten horribly inconsistent since that 2008/2009 period

2008- silver
2009- gold
2010 - 7th
2011 - bronze
2012 - 11th

I am sure they will be extremely motivated to come back next year and do well however they basically have to medal if they have any chance at all of getting to the olympics directly. A top 5 finish wont be good enough if the top 7 teams of this year can at least finish somewhere close to the positions they did this year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-30-12 10:38AM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

quote:
the chinese team has gotten horribly inconsistent since that 2008/2009 period

2008- silver
2009- gold
2010 - 7th/ Bronze in Vancouver
2011 - bronze
2012 - 11th

I am sure they will be extremely motivated to come back next year and do well however they basically have to medal if they have any chance at all of getting to the olympics directly. A top 5 finish wont be good enough if the top 7 teams of this year can at least finish somewhere close to the positions they did this year.

A little omission there Unregistered...

I wonder if the ladies are intimidated playing at the worlds in Canada. Other than the 08 Silver, they have never finished higher than 5th.

Let's see how they do in Latvia...

Old Post 03-30-12 11:05AM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

The problem with the Chinese womens team is they seem to regard Jennifer Jones as unbeatable. They lose virtually everytime they play her, and admit in press conferences they are afraid of her. Yet Jones is nowhere near being the best in the World currently. So if you already set yourself below someone who is far from being #1, that puts you even further away from it, and pretty far down the list. Once they accept a team like Jennifer Jones is not that good and they should be beating her like so many others already do, they can set their sights on moving up on the many better teams.

Old Post 04-03-12 05:26PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

WCF Curling Profile: Bingyu Wang

Funny that someone else found this before me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3euV94jOcE

She's openly honest and it's hard not to like her. Well I'm biased but better that she was profiled over "Jessica" Kim.

My favourite line from Betty, "I enjoy being the skip, because it's umm don't need sweep. I just standing there and hold the broom and call the line..."

Betty's never going to be that stereotypical Communist proletariat and that's what I enjoy following her curling career.

Old Post 04-04-12 10:05PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

I think its hard for Curlers to be objective when assessing world events. Personally, I'm guessing Canada wins a bronze medal this year. Roughly speaking, I think they have a rollercoaster week, scratch their way into the playoffs, and lose one of their playoff games. So anywhere from silver to losing a tie break. In other words, I'm less confidant in this team then most Canadians. I personally think they haven't nearly peaked yet in terms of their potential.

I would say if they catch some breaks they might win gold, but I also think they could miss the playoffs. They just don't have the track record to really know.

I'm also predicting Glenn Howard wins the Brier and dominates the world championship, ending all the talk about poor results.
Not many players could match that world event record if he succeeds.

If I'm wrong, so be it. I though J. Jones would win the Scotties but I never expected K. Lawes to lose her game at the end.

Nine Ender

BINGO. Glenn wins gold after dominating the RR, Heather gets bronze after a rollercoaster RR.

Old Post 04-10-12 12:01AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote