Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > The Pit > Corn Curling Brooms
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Skarmal
Knee-Slider

Corn Curling Brooms

Hey all,

I'm a 21 year old curler from Toronto who throws with a tuck delivery (I'm a huge oddity at my club). I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I could get my hands on a corn broom to slide with like most tuckers do. I've been given a few suggestions, like the Hamel broom place in St. Jacob's, but I'm still awaiting an email from them. If anyone has any ideas as to how I could get one it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-01-11 11:44PM
Skarmal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skarmal Click here to Send Skarmal a Private Message Find more posts by Skarmal Add Skarmal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Re: Corn Curling Brooms

quote:
Originally posted by Skarmal
Hey all,

I'm a 21 year old curler from Toronto who throws with a tuck delivery (I'm a huge oddity at my club). I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I could get my hands on a corn broom to slide with like most tuckers do. I've been given a few suggestions, like the Hamel broom place in St. Jacob's, but I'm still awaiting an email from them. If anyone has any ideas as to how I could get one it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Can't help you with the corn broom. (Seems to me I used my last Roadrunner to sweep water up in the basement during the last great flood.) But I can give you a word of advice.

Start checking out titanium knee replacements. In about ten years you're going to need one if you continue with the tuck.

Old Post 02-02-11 08:26AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gito
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Corn Curling Brooms

quote:
Originally posted by dinorock2005
Can't help you with the corn broom. (Seems to me I used my last Roadrunner to sweep water up in the basement during the last great flood.) But I can give you a word of advice.

Start checking out titanium knee replacements. In about ten years you're going to need one if you continue with the tuck.

The tuck hurts some in the long run. But isn't bad for others.
I threw flat footed for the first 25 years I curled. Had a sore knee 75% of the time. Switched to the tuck delivery and have NEVER had a sore knee.
There are a few curlers from manitoba that competitively curled into their 50's (so far) with no problems.

Old Post 02-02-11 10:14AM
gito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gito Click here to Send gito a Private Message Find more posts by gito Add gito to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

I won't get into the tuck or flat foot argument in view of the successes of the McEwens, Stoughtons, Burtnyk, et al, but I will mention that Dakota Curling Supplies in Langdon ND has some corn brooms for sale -- $39.95 US$ while supplies last (http://www.dakotacurlingsupplies.com; 800-256-0009).

But you don't need 'new' corn to throw with a tuck; most use 'brooms' which are little more than a handle with duct tape holding together what little corn remains. Should be able to get a few of those by just putting up a note on the club bulletin board.

Last edited by chapnlie on 02-02-11 at 12:21PM

Old Post 02-02-11 12:18PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Corn Curling Brooms

quote:
Originally posted by gito

The tuck hurts some in the long run. But isn't bad for others.
I threw flat footed for the first 25 years I curled. Had a sore knee 75% of the time. Switched to the tuck delivery and have NEVER had a sore knee.
There are a few curlers from manitoba that competitively curled into their 50's (so far) with no problems.

If the tuck worked for you I won't argue against it.

But I think that how you manage your weight over the course of your curling career may have something to do with less stress on the knee, and being able to maintain the tuck over the years.

In my own case, when I started curling in my teens I was a Lanky 6'3'' and weighed 175 lbs. Had to run around in the shower to get wet. The tuck came naturally and was not a problem. When I was Skarmal's age I was probably 185. Still not much of a problem. But by 30 I was carrying 205, (Late growth spurt), and I had to change. Now I am carrying 230, (funny but people still tell me I need to run around in the shower to get wet), and the tuck is verbotten. Which is too bad, because I know having to change my delivery mid-point of my career, (as it is and was), hurt my game.

Back on subject. I wish I had saved a few of those old straw jobbers. Seems to be quite a demand for them. (I wonder if Midwestern Broom is still in business, and if they still manufacture the odd straw.)

Old Post 02-03-11 10:22AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

But to get back on subject and help you out.

On E-Bay.ca

Two vintage straw curling brooms.
Current bid $35.00 USD. (Shipping a killer at $21.80 USD)
One is a Charger.
One is a Harvey Mazinke Special. (Interesting!)
Bidding ends Feb 4 at 22:45:38
Good luck

Old Post 02-03-11 10:43AM
Jafo
Knee-Slider

I have about 5 corn brooms left. I bought one of the last boxes that Asham had in their warehouse a few years back.

I'm in the Toronto area and you can reach me at:

cary@infive.ca

Cary

Old Post 02-19-11 01:05PM
Jafo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jafo Find more posts by Jafo Add Jafo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OneShot
Hitting Paint

Good luck with finding corn brooms. There are extremely rare nowadays. They have been out of production since about the year 2000 or 2001 now.

As for the tuck slide, for the person that said they slid flat footed for 25years and then made the change to the tuck, I have a question for you. How the hell did you accomplish that? I tried doing the tuck the last two years to see if my knee would feel better. Been curling for 23 years flat footed. I CANNOT get my slider foot's heel to even come off the ice a 1/4 inch.

Old Post 02-21-11 08:40AM
OneShot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OneShot Click here to Send OneShot a Private Message Find more posts by OneShot Add OneShot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boback

I just found some online. I was looking to provide a little history to our club members. We are a paper club (we convert a hockey rink to 5 sheets every Friday evening from October to May) and 35 of 40 club members are new to the sport and have never seen anything but a brush. I've been playing since 1975, and I was hoping that I could give them an idea as to why a skip will yell so loud to sweep!

My father taught me how to sweep with a club broom and make as much racket as you could with a Rink Rat! I could go through 4 to 5 pairs of gloves per season playing as a teen. The brushes may be effective, but they also killed a part of the energy around the sport.

George at the number below said he has about 10 left. I'm probably gonna take two off his hands.

Dakota Curling Supplies 800-256-0009
http://www.dakotacurlingsupplies.com/

Good Luck
Randy Boback
Quincy MA

Attachment: dsc00068.jpg
This has been downloaded 208 time(s).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.60.12.27

Old Post 02-22-11 03:07AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I am 64 and have a tuck deliver and no knee problems. There is a company in North Dakota.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 72.38.34.23

Old Post 03-29-12 11:49AM
Skipman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Try this email for Hammel brooms:
hammelbrooms@hotmail.com

They do not have brooms in stock. They make them to order. I have attached a photo.
joe@hoglinecurling.com

Old Post 03-29-12 05:02PM
Skipman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skipman Click here to Send Skipman a Private Message Visit Skipman's homepage! Find more posts by Skipman Add Skipman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skipman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Try this email for Hammel brooms:
hammelbrooms@hotmail.com

They do not have brooms in stock. They make them to order. I have attached a photo.
joe@hoglinecurling.com

Old Post 03-29-12 05:12PM
Skipman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skipman Click here to Send Skipman a Private Message Visit Skipman's homepage! Find more posts by Skipman Add Skipman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I am 64 and have a tuck deliver and no knee problems.
We need to save your DNA for research purposes.

Old Post 04-03-12 12:10PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vega

I throw with a corn broom and had the same problem. Purchased 5 from the North Dakota site this a couple of winters ago.

A week after they arrived I was in St Jacobs and the local broom maker and he makes them to order. Really nice too and price was about $20 less then buying from North Dakota.

jt@golden.net for more details.

john

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.93.10.51

Old Post 07-13-12 11:25AM
Unregistered

RE: Tuck Delivery Been a tuck deliverer for ALl my curling years. 38 of em! No knee problems...why? It's very simple..the weight is not on the knee..it is actually on the ball of my foot. I see lots of flat footed sliders who have knee problems.

Those flatfooted sliders who criticize the tuck delivery people..why would you. Sometimes I get the feeling that flat-footed sliders think they are superior curlers...and in rea,lity..nothing could be further from the truth.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.92.65.171

Old Post 07-13-12 02:43PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
RE: Tuck Delivery Been a tuck deliverer for ALl my curling years. 38 of em! No knee problems...why? It's very simple..the weight is not on the knee..it is actually on the ball of my foot. I see lots of flat footed sliders who have knee problems.

Those flatfooted sliders who criticize the tuck delivery people..why would you. Sometimes I get the feeling that flat-footed sliders think they are superior curlers...and in rea,lity..nothing could be further from the truth.

Agreed!!I started as a tuck curler. Never had knee problems. Switched to flat foot, as that was the "in" thing to do. Had such a sore knee and hip that it was impossible to throw. Switched back to tuck, against all the informed advice.Have had NO problems what so ever. I'm older then dirt.

Old Post 07-13-12 03:03PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote