Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > 2012 Ontario Scotties Tournament of Hearts
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ssrulle
Swing Artist

2012 Ontario Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Zones playdowns begin on Friday with a total of 7 Zones beginning competition. The first set of Zones will run from December 9th to 11th.

The following are a list of Zones and teams participating to move forward to regional playoffs.

Zone 1
December 10-11 at the RCMP Curling Club, Ottawa
* Rachel Homan (Ottawa Curling)
* Jenn Hanna (Ottawa Curling)
* Jennifer Harvey (Cornwall)

Zone 2
December 9-11 at the RCMP Curling Club, Ottawa
* Christine McCrady (Rideau)
* Lauren Mann (Rideau)
* Laura Payne (Rideau)
* Tracy Samaan (Rideau)
* Marla Weinberger (Rideau)

Zone 3
December 9-11 at the Pakenham Curling Club, Pakenham

* Teams TBA

Zone 6
December 10-11 at the Sutton Curling Club, Sutton West
* Lesley Pyne (Annandale)
* Susan McKnight (Uxbridge)
(Only two teams entered, and will move directly to regionals)

Zone 10
December 10-11 at the Barrie Curling Club, Barrie
* Sherry Middaugh (Coldwater)
* Heather Marshall (Orillia)
* Lynne Middaugh (Orillia)
* Sarah Picton (Stroud)
* Kristeen Wilson (Midland)
* Julie Truscott (Parry Sound)

Zone 12
December 9-11 at the Elmira & District Curling Club, Elmira
* Tracey Jones (Arthur)
* Sheri Smeltzer (Fergus)
* Anne Dunn (Galt Country)
* Karen Sagle (Guelph Curling)
* Courtney Hodgson (Guelph Curling)
* Suzanne Frick (Guelph Curling)
* Janet McGhee (Guelph Curling)
* Kathy Ryan (K-W Granite)

Zone 16
December 10 at the Chatham Granite Club, Chatham
* Marika Bakewell (Highland)
* Katie Lambert (Ilderton)
* Lisa Moore (Highland)

Zones 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14 and 15 will host playsdowns the weekend of December 16th.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-04-11 04:55PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

Large Reduction in Team Signup!

I was quite surprised to see the number of zones without teams entered, 1 team entered, 2 teams entered and 3 teams entered.

The OCA just updated the Zones draw schedule and here's what has come up.

Zone 3 had No Entries!
Zone 4 had 1 Entry!
Zone 11 had 1 Entry!
Zone 14 had No Entries!
Zone 15 had 3 entries!

Add this to what was already posted,

Zone 1 had 3 entries!
Zone 6 had 2 entries!
Zone 16 had 3 entries!

Comparing this to last year;

Zone 1 had 3 ~No change
Zone 2 had 6 ~ -1
Zone 3 had 1 ~ -1
Zone 4 had 2~ -1
Zone 5 had 4 ~ [No Draw Information Reporting on OCA]]
Zone 6 had 3 ~ -1
Zone 7 had 6 ~ +2
Zone 8 had 2 ~ [No Draw Information Reporting on OCA]]
Zone 9 had 4~ +1
Zone 10 had 5 ~ +1
Zone 11 had 2 ~-1
Zone 12 had 6 ~ +2
Zone 13 had 2~ [No Draw Information Reporting on OCA]]
Zone 14 had 1 ~ -1
Zone 15 had 2 ~ +1
Zone 16 had 5 ~ -2

Right now with 3 Zones not reporting teams there is an overall of -2 teams compared to last year, which doesn't seem like a lot, but 5 zones had an increase in team signup while 7 had a decrease in team sign up, which is big when you have two zones without any teams signing up!

Is this a sign that it's time for a change in the qualifying process?

Old Post 12-06-11 07:05PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Yes it is a sign for a change in the qualifying process. I have heard that in a few years, Northern Ontario may get their own entry into the Scotties - so more teams for the South.

However, with the lack of interest in some zones maybe it is time to have a different criteria for qualification:

Last year's winner, top 3 in CTRS, Top 3 in OCT...I am sure the tall foreheads at the OCA can figure something out.

Old Post 12-07-11 10:15AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

In my opinion Northern Ontario does not need their own spot at the Scotties. Right now there are no direct berths into Ontarios, possibly one of the only provinces that has not added this to their process. As for the numbers: Northern Ontario has seven teams entered for four spots and the South has fifty-three teams for six spots!!!! Even for those that are not good at math know that this does not make sense.

Suggestion...one less spot for the North and give it to CTRS or even defending champ unless they are from North but not sure you can stipulate that. Cannot see increasing number of teams unless format gets changed to a triple or two pools but then ranking needs to come into play, and the OCA ranking process for the challenge round is a joke.

Definitely need a change.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.117.60.117

Old Post 12-07-11 10:26AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

The Canadian Mixed Championship did the test this year where every province was represented, including Northern Ontario. I think it was a great idea to include Nunavut into the mix. I don't agree with how they begin with 14 teams and will only have 12 return next year, where the bottom 4 provinces/territories will compete next year for a spot in the CMCs. So next year Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Nunavut and Yukon have to compete to return to the game. That's the worst thing to do! If you look back to the 2010 Scotties, the bottom 4 teams were Alberta, NWT/YK/ Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. Had there been 14 teams at the 2010 Scotties, and this picking an choosing who will be there and who wouldn't for 2011, what would that have meant for Heather Smith Dacey and Shannon Kleibrink if Nova Scotia and Alberta were eliminated from the 2011 games based on poor performance from the teams who went the previous year!

I personally think the Northern Ontario teams should not get direct entry into the provincials. Northern Ontario should act like a zone and advance them to Regional playoffs. To change the model, I would look at Manitoba's process and develop from that. Specifically the Women's model, as the Men's qualifies 32 teams to the provincials which is ludicrous. I think increase the number of teams in the provincials, Have a Defending Champion Entry, CTRS Entry, scrap the zones and have regionals which would include the north, turn the challenge round into a berth bonspiel and maybe have a bonspiel where the top ten ontario seeds compete for a berth into the provincials.

Old Post 12-07-11 12:27PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: How does it Happen

quote:
Originally posted by UpYerKilt

Excellent..

Rachel Homan should be auto berthed as Def ON champ.
Sherry Middaugh should be auto - CTRS
Krista McCarville should be Auto - North CTRS

So HOW can this ON movement into the modern age happen??

The OCA staff and board of directors needs a complete shake-up first before anything will happen. Look at the names on the board of directors- same old same old. They leave the board for
one year and are then reappointed. Ever try to get the CEO to return a phone call?? Zone results are never updated even after the event is over . You need to wait until the regional draw is posted or (more likel) will turn to CZ.
Change in Ontario - don't count on it for a long time. (I really hope that I am wrong!)

Old Post 12-07-11 12:44PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Some excellent ideas here. With many events in Southern Ontario now, the club curlers and B-level teams go to compete elsewhere. A brave few try their luck at zones and regions.

I do like ssrules ideas but sadly I have to agree with Decade, gettingt he OCA do to a revamp of the Scotties will be tough and NOCA won't be willing to give up their "auto-berths" either to the Provincial Scotties.

Zones are a thing of the past at this level - let's do go to regions and instead of a challenge make it a last chance bonspiel.

Old Post 12-07-11 12:50PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

The other thing that bugs me is they introduced the Defending Champion berth in the Men's Tankard and have 11 teams, what's the problem doing the same with the women's?

Old Post 12-07-11 01:12PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: How does it Happen

quote:
Originally posted by decade

The OCA staff and board of directors needs a complete shake-up first before anything will happen. Look at the names on the board of directors- same old same old. They leave the board for
one year and are then reappointed. Ever try to get the CEO to return a phone call?? Zone results are never updated even after the event is over . You need to wait until the regional draw is posted or (more likel) will turn to CZ.
Change in Ontario - don't count on it for a long time. (I really hope that I am wrong!)

It is always easy to complaint but never step forward. I was approached but the OCA about joining the executives but a new job forced me to step back. To me this showed that they are looking for new blood.

Have you volunteer to be on the OCA executive? If not then why not offer to look after contacting the zone reps after each event and then updating the website?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 199.166.15.229

Old Post 12-08-11 03:06PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up OK.. that's a start

Ontario:

OCA: http://www.ontcurl.com/

OCA News: http://www.ontcurl.com/News.aspx

OCA Zone Reps: http://www.ontcurl.com/about-the-oc...sentatives.aspx

Northern Ontario Curling Assoc: http://www.curlnoca.ca/

Old Post 12-08-11 04:08PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by ssrulle
The Canadian Mixed Championship did the test this year where every province was represented, including Northern Ontario. I think it was a great idea to include Nunavut into the mix. I don't agree with how they begin with 14 teams and will only have 12 return next year, where the bottom 4 provinces/territories will compete next year for a spot in the CMCs. So next year Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Nunavut and Yukon have to compete to return to the game. That's the worst thing to do! If you look back to the 2010 Scotties, the bottom 4 teams were Alberta, NWT/YK/ Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. Had there been 14 teams at the 2010 Scotties, and this picking an choosing who will be there and who wouldn't for 2011, what would that have meant for Heather Smith Dacey and Shannon Kleibrink if Nova Scotia and Alberta were eliminated from the 2011 games based on poor performance from the teams who went the previous year!

You're forgetting that Y/NWT would have two teams, Nunavut would have a team as well. I don't see any of the contending provinces having much to worry about. This relegation idea is great, it allows more opportunities for teams and gives everyone a fair chance to win it all every year.

quote:
I personally think the Northern Ontario teams should not get direct entry into the provincials. Northern Ontario should act like a zone and advance them to Regional playoffs.

You're not going to be able to "take-away" from the North. They have their 4 spots and they're not going to accept any deal to take them away, let alone make them a regional.

quote:
To change the model, I would look at Manitoba's process and develop from that. Specifically the Women's model, as the Men's qualifies 32 teams to the provincials which is ludicrous.

Manitoba's Men's system works VERY well for them to run the event. It allows them to sell the event to organizing committees and they make money off of it. Sponsors are willing to step up when they know there's 32 teams coming to town.

quote:
I think increase the number of teams in the provincials, Have a Defending Champion Entry, CTRS Entry, scrap the zones and have regionals which would include the north, turn the challenge round into a berth bonspiel and maybe have a bonspiel where the top ten ontario seeds compete for a berth into the provincials.

OCA wont change anything until the CCA finalizes their plans for the Nationals, and it sounds like the Men's and Women's will be aligned to have the same formats. A returning champion, teams from Northern Ontario and each of the Territories being represented. Once this is done, there will be a lot of discussion of a provincial format for the southern Ontario women.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 12-08-11 04:16PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

You're not going to be able to "take-away" from the North. They have their 4 spots and they're not going to accept any deal to take them away, let alone make them a regional.

I never said anything about 'taking away' I said why should they get direct entry into provincials when no one else does? Looking at the CCA website, In this history of the Scott/Scotties there was never a Northern Ontario team at the event. There were 11 teams until 1986 when they introduced team Canada. Prior to that, according to information provided on Wikipedia in 1962 the "Diamond D Championship" had ten teams, none of which were Northern Ontario and excluded the territories. So as to why they are obligated to award 4 teams to Northern Ontario is up for question. So what is wrong with integrating the teams into regional playoffs? 6 teams from the south have to qualify out of regions, and the north should have to qualify as well! 1 Northern Playdown is not enough especially when some teams are going through zones, regionals and the challenge round to try and get a spot.. How fair is that?

Old Post 12-08-11 04:40PM
ssrulle
Swing Artist

Zone 8

Kelly Cochrane (High Park)
Ashley Waye (Royals)
Cathy Auld (Mississaugua)

Zone 8 has one additional entry vs 2011

Old Post 12-08-11 04:49PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

And this is exactly like those people at our clubs who say: why change- we have done it this way for _ years. (fill in your own number). The format at the mixed is a good start to reform.

Old Post 12-08-11 05:02PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

Zone 5 & 13

Zone 5

Angie Melaney (Lakefield)
Jaimee Gardner (Peterborough C.C.)
Julie O'Neill (Lindsay)

Down 1 team from 2011

Zone 13

Chrissy Cadorin (Glendale)
Lorna Howarth (Hamilton Victoria)
Sharon Lederman (Hamilton Victoria)
Katie Lindsay (Welland)
Michelle Fletcher (Burlington Curling)

Up 3 teams from 2011

Old Post 12-08-11 07:17PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by decade

And this is exactly like those people at our clubs who say: why change- we have done it this way for _ years. (fill in your own number). The format at the mixed is a good start to reform.

Change is good, and I'm not suggesting to leave the system as is. You just need to understand that any Ontario provincial on the Women's side needs to be an agreement between the North and South. I don't forsee the North deciding to say, "We're ok with only 2 or 3 spots." So you need to get creative and come up with other ideas.

As for change, like I said earlier we wont likely see much until the CCA finalizes their Nationals plan going forward, which I'm looking forward to seeing.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 12-08-11 07:35PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

Northern Ontario Provincials

The Northern Ontario Championship kicked off today, which saw Krista McCarville lose her opening game to Laura Pickering out of the North Bay Granite Club. Tracy Horgan captured a win, as did Marlo Dahl.

Draw two is currently in progress.

Old Post 12-09-11 03:51PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Question Is there a link

any link avail that you are using for results

Wow.. Pickering has been rising up ..but didnt expect her to knock off Krista..

Old Post 12-09-11 03:59PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

Re: Is there a link

quote:
any link avail that you are using for results

Wow.. Pickering has been rising up ..but didnt expect her to knock off Krista..

the results are on playdowns.com

Old Post 12-09-11 04:06PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up Thanks

appreciate your work on so many of these playdown threads

cheers

Old Post 12-09-11 05:12PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

McCarville lineup

Did you notice that they have moved Sarah Lang up to the second position

McCarville
FORT WILLIAM CC
Skip: Krista McCarville
Third: Ashley Miharija
Second: Sarah Lang
Lead: Liz Kingston
Fifth: Kari Lavoie
Coach: Rick Lang

Old Post 12-09-11 05:16PM
ssrulle
Swing Artist

Re: Thanks

quote:
appreciate your work on so many of these playdown threads

cheers

Not a problem at all!

Old Post 12-09-11 09:58PM
ssrulle
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by GloveTopShelf
I heard Kari Lavoie (MacLean) is pregnant, probably the reason she's now listed as the 5th on the team.

Yes she is!

UYK
I think Liz normally plays lead so it was easier to move Sarah to second!

Old Post 12-09-11 09:59PM
bearbells
Harvey Hacksmasher

Quit yer griping!

OCA needs to look at their association, before dragging up the very old and very tiresome argument re Northern Ontario.
Terrible web site, no postings for womens zone play, all the same old stuff on it. Get your house in order before interfering in others.

Old Post 12-10-11 11:04AM
bearbells is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearbells Click here to Send bearbells a Private Message Find more posts by bearbells Add bearbells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

N.Ont Scotties

Draw four has finished with an undefeated Marlo Dahl sitting at 4-0, Krista McCarville won her second game in a row joining Tracy Horgan at 2-1 Louise Logan fell to 2-2. Laura Pickering lost her second in a row falling to 1-2, while Ashley Kallos moved to 1-3 defeating Pickering. Sandra Lahti still looking for her first win sitting at 0-3

Currently the top four teams are:

Dahl
Horgan
McCarville
Logan

Top four advance to the Ontario Scotties Provincials

Old Post 12-10-11 11:38AM