Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

Soooo...Draws are up for next weekends action. Yet another sad state of affairs from a "number of entries" point of view. 106 in total for an average of 6.6 teams per zone. Zone 13 wins the Old School award for the highest number of entries with oddly enough 13. This is just 3 more entries than my club had alone for Men's playdowns back in the late 90's.

Is it time to yet again discuss how we can fix this? I hope we all do. I'll also add my predictions for this year.

Prediction #1 - The Howard reign is over! Not for any reason other than all dynasties must have a hiccup. This will be the year. A loss in the semi-finals for the crew and a renewed energy for their ROTR push.

Prediction #2 - A Purple Heart for the Epping crew. There you go John et al. The "kiss of death"...handle it like professionals. See you at the Brier.

Prediction #3 - A playoff spot for Team Gardner. Ya, they'll make it for a fifth straight year and play in at least one playoff game. Another rung in the ladder for a promising young rink.

Please feel free to also add predictions. All winners will receive some complimentary Pez

JH

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-12 07:14PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Soooo...Draws are up for next weekends action. Yet another sad state of affairs from a "number of entries" point of view. 106 in total for an average of 6.6 teams per zone. Zone 13 wins the Old School award for the highest number of entries with oddly enough 13. This is just 3 more entries than my club had alone for Men's playdowns back in the late 90's.

Is it time to yet again discuss how we can fix this? I hope we all do. I'll also add my predictions for this year.

Prediction #1 - The Howard reign is over! Not for any reason other than all dynasties must have a hiccup. This will be the year. A loss in the semi-finals for the crew and a renewed energy for their ROTR push.

Prediction #2 - A Purple Heart for the Epping crew. There you go John et al. The "kiss of death"...handle it like professionals. See you at the Brier.

Prediction #3 - A playoff spot for Team Gardner. Ya, they'll make it for a fifth straight year and play in at least one playoff game. Another rung in the ladder for a promising young rink.

Please feel free to also add predictions. All winners will receive some complimentary Pez

JH

so im guessing you see team epping will fair better in playdowns this year to spite not even making it last year.They've also cooled down considerably since the start of the season..I would love to see them at the brier myself but im kind of concerned they are going to flop again like last year and not even make it

Old Post 12-02-12 07:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

so im guessing you see team epping will fair better in playdowns this year to spite not even making it last year.They've also cooled down considerably since the start of the season..I would love to see them at the brier myself but im kind of concerned they are going to flop again like last year and not even make it

That playdown flop was before winning the Charlottetown Slam. I also don't know if you are including the 3-3 Canada Cup record as part of the "cool down", but a .500 record with that kind of field only proves IMO that they are deserving to be considered in the elite. My cash is on them.

JH

Old Post 12-02-12 09:17PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

And I fear the Middaugh foursome on the Ladies side may cool as well especially as it seems Homan and gang are gaining momentum! Perhaps Epping - as long as Ontario can get two good reps at the Brier & Scotties this year who have a good chance to make the playoffs - I will be a happy broad...

Old Post 12-02-12 09:19PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:

That playdown flop was before winning the Charlottetown Slam. I also don't know if you are including the 3-3 Canada Cup record as part of the "cool down", but a .500 record with that kind of field only proves IMO that they are deserving to be considered in the elite. My cash is on them.

JH

Yeah, it was during a cool period for them. Im just kind of concerned because this season is like a repeat of last year. They were really good at the start and then they entered a period where they struggled to win matches. It wasnt that bad this year but you got to admit their results have kind of tailed off since their red hot start.they have only qualified in 1 of their last 4 events.

They managed to pull a 3-3 record at the canada cup which is opbviosuly a good accomplishemnt, your right.

Epping is one of my favorite young teams to watch and i do want them to do well..they are my pick to who i'd like to see win ontario

but last year no one saw their flop ath the playdowns coming so im a little cautious.

Last edited by misty1 on 12-02-12 at 09:57PM

Old Post 12-02-12 09:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
And I fear the Middaugh foursome on the Ladies side may cool as well especially as it seems Homan and gang are gaining momentum! Perhaps Epping - as long as Ontario can get two good reps at the Brier & Scotties this year who have a good chance to make the playoffs - I will be a happy broad...

I think sherry will be okay. She's not winning everything like she was but she's only really had 2 bad events all year, it justr happened that this was one of them. She has a QF at the slam before this. I think she's still got a good shot . Her boiggest obstacle will be rachel but she's got a good record against her

Old Post 12-02-12 09:55PM
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:

Is it time to yet again discuss how we can fix this? I hope we all do.

JH

I've stressed about this decline for years. I too remember the huge club playdowns which then generated more interest in the zone playdowns at the club level. Not sure I agree, but everyone tells me we can't get that back...
As you've pointed out, there are some real inequities in the entries by zone. Two teams have to survive a zone of 13, others a zone of only 4 teams.
Instead, what about a 3KO regional, held over two weekends? None of the regions have over 32 teams at this point. It's a simple matter to qualify 8 of 32 (or less) the first weekend. Very similar to now in that it still takes two weekends but much more equitable.
And I know someone is going to talk about additional travel, but it's equally ridiculous now. Zones 1 and 2 are already being played in the same place, and many teams are already parachuting into other regions (see zone 4 (Loonie), or do all you guys actually live in Elgin, lol?)

PS. Yes, I get the irony that I'm not playing in the region I live in, either... but it speaks to the point I'm making doesn't it?

Old Post 12-03-12 04:08PM
CoachBrewer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CoachBrewer Click here to Send CoachBrewer a Private Message Find more posts by CoachBrewer Add CoachBrewer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Oh how you all pine for the old days of club playdowns.

Well, we have a wonderful new creation called the Domionion playdowns. See an opportunity here?

Why not bring back Club playdowns, and make it a pre-cursor to Zone playdowns, but ALSO make it your tournament to determine the rep for Dominions.

I guarantee teams will show up to try and make the Dominion, and each club will then have two teams to send to zones like the old days. Won't that be the perfect situation? Way more teams at zones! Meaningful club championship! Four-game Sundays and bar sales abound!

Queue the rebuttals, including:
- but then competitive players can't pursue both
- but how do you accomodate migrating players who don't play in a league all year
- this is a logistical nightmare
- are you out of your mind

But let's get this ball rolling anyway - the OCA needs fees people!

OR we could all accept that declining entries in competitive zone playdowns accurately reflects the changing nature of competitive curling (not to mention declining participation in curling overall), and that most teams would rather pursue speils at the many other appropriate levels available (i.e. support local speils anyone?)

Your thoughts - go!

By the way I apologize in advance for my light-hearted sarcasm and hope it isn't taken the wrong way. I intend only to contribute to the discussion in a humorous way, and fully respect the people who work hard to keep these kinds of discussions going with the intent of increasing participation and keeping the grassroots of our game strong. Seriously I mean no offense!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

Old Post 12-03-12 05:03PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Oh how you all pine for the old days of club playdowns.

Well, we have a wonderful new creation called the Domionion playdowns. See an opportunity here?

Why not bring back Club playdowns, and make it a pre-cursor to Zone playdowns, but ALSO make it your tournament to determine the rep for Dominions.

I guarantee teams will show up to try and make the Dominion, and each club will then have two teams to send to zones like the old days. Won't that be the perfect situation? Way more teams at zones! Meaningful club championship! Four-game Sundays and bar sales abound!

Queue the rebuttals, including:
- but then competitive players can't pursue both
- but how do you accomodate migrating players who don't play in a league all year
- this is a logistical nightmare
- are you out of your mind

But let's get this ball rolling anyway - the OCA needs fees people!

OR we could all accept that declining entries in competitive zone playdowns accurately reflects the changing nature of competitive curling (not to mention declining participation in curling overall), and that most teams would rather pursue speils at the many other appropriate levels available (i.e. support local speils anyone?)

Your thoughts - go!

By the way I apologize in advance for my light-hearted sarcasm and hope it isn't taken the wrong way. I intend only to contribute to the discussion in a humorous way, and fully respect the people who work hard to keep these kinds of discussions going with the intent of increasing participation and keeping the grassroots of our game strong. Seriously I mean no offense!

No offense taken...can I simply paste your rebuttals and insert them here cuz that's pretty much the argument against what you are saying

Your proposal again might have worked 15-20 years ago because many club teams also participated at the zone level. IMO now that we are in the parachute era, that simply won't fly for either event.

JH

Old Post 12-04-12 09:38AM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

While we are at it, I should clarify prediction #3 from my first post. Brian Cochrane is technically skipping the Gardner team and throwing lead stones. I still stand behind my prediction for the "3/4's" young team. No offence Brian!

JH

Old Post 12-04-12 09:41AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I think the days of zones are gone with parachuting happening at all levels - I agree a TKO of either 32 teams or 16 teams is a good idea. Scotties entries are pretty low as well. The good club curler may want to take a chance but likely many would rather go to a bonspiel and have fun.

Myself - I wouldn't mind playing in a Scotties zone - but others tremble at the thought.

Old Post 12-04-12 10:21AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think it's just a trend in the sport in general. I couldn't tell you the last spiel I entered that wasn't scrambling to get teams.

Back in the day, average club teams would go in to spiels and playdowns just to get some experience playing against some better teams. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be that same level of interest.

What people are forgetting, this is the only sport in the world where you have a chance at playing against a world class team and actually have a chance at beating them or at least giving them a good game (anyone can beat anyone...even if it's a lucky pick, a rub off a guard to the pin, etc, etc).

Some of my favourite memories are playing against some "TV" teams, even if I got my butt kicked. Just sitting with them after the game and hearing some of their stories is pretty cool.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.254.78.133

Old Post 12-04-12 10:35AM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Some of my favourite memories are playing against some "TV" teams, even if I got my butt kicked. Just sitting with them after the game and hearing some of their stories is pretty cool. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you whole-heartedly! My first experience with this was Ed Werenich many, many, MANY moons ago. He beat us pretty bad and we spent the next several hours and drinks hearing his war stories. I'll never forget his classic line when I saw him the day after when he lost his Sunday morning game to be eliminated. I asked him how he did and he replied "Well, we had a late night...so...it's GOODNIGHT!".

JH

Old Post 12-04-12 11:52AM
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

3KO Tankard Proposal

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I think the days of zones are gone with parachuting happening at all levels - I agree a TKO of either 32 teams or 16 teams is a good idea.

OK. So, I took the idea of a 3KO Tankard Playdown and ran with it, with the following parameters:
-Allow for 32 Teams per Region
-One or Two locations depending on ice for the first stage (zones)
-One location for the Regions
-3 Game guarantee (3KO) to encourage entries, add games and revenue for the host club, encourage a 'spiel like' feel, and give the best teams the best opportunity to rise to the top.
-Seed the Region according to OCT Money Rank.
-Why parachute if you could play this seeded format in your own region?

For the heck of it, I took the existing 29 team Western Region (where under current OCA format some teams can make regionals with two straight wins, others four straight - no seeding).

For fun, I've attached the sample draw
With 29 teams, the Byes (OCT Money Rank) would go to Ferris, Higgs and Corbin. Only 15 teams were ranked on the OCT site, the rest were chosen at Random so don't get concerned about the 16-29 seedings...

Maybe someone can take this idea and run with it/improve on it...

Is anyone having trouble opening the attachment? There may be an issue with the fact I created it in xlsl and saved to xls. I can try another method.

Attachment: 3ko tankards proposal region 4 example.xls
This has been downloaded 62 time(s).

Last edited by CoachBrewer on 12-05-12 at 12:32PM

Old Post 12-05-12 09:54AM
CoachBrewer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CoachBrewer Click here to Send CoachBrewer a Private Message Find more posts by CoachBrewer Add CoachBrewer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

I really dont think that there is anything wrong with the Ontario Tankard playdowns as it currently stands. Other than the fact that some zones have more entries than others which creates lop sided draws for some. The point is to determine the best 10 teams to play for the right to represent at the Brier. Reality is that only maybe 5 teams have a legitimate shot at this and who are we to say that they need to be from the same club let alone the same area of the province. I'm not one of them and I have no issue with it, although we do enter each year just in case we get hot on a couple of weekends. Curling has changed folks!
The OCA has created the Dominion Club Championships for teams such as myself and this is the championship that will become the money maker for the OCA (as far as entries go). Once this competition catches on I dont see why any club champion would not want to enter as it is a great representation of club curling at it's best.
In conclusion leave the Tankard for what it is: The chance to play for the greatest trophy in curling (the Brier), only a few get the chance and only a few really have the right.

Old Post 12-06-12 11:55AM
RyanRowe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RyanRowe Click here to Send RyanRowe a Private Message Find more posts by RyanRowe Add RyanRowe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by RyanRowe

In conclusion leave the Tankard for what it is: The chance to play for the greatest trophy in curling (the Brier), only a few get the chance and only a few really have the right.

I can agree with the provincial format remaining status quo, but I also agree with the notion that the current qualifying format has to adapt with the times. Simply put, it's a waste of money to have clubs hosting five teams (or less!) for a playdown. The 32 team regional 3KO format is intriging. It would be big enough to spread the big names around and still leave room for an upset or two. Good idea! Would be sad to see the zone badge go though.

JH

Old Post 12-06-12 09:27PM
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I can agree with the provincial format remaining status quo, but I also agree with the notion that the current qualifying format has to adapt with the times. Simply put, it's a waste of money to have clubs hosting five teams (or less!) for a playdown. The 32 team regional 3KO format is intriging. It would be big enough to spread the big names around and still leave room for an upset or two. Good idea! Would be sad to see the zone badge go though.

JH

As an old-timer, I respect the zone badge greatly. I wanted the new proposal to still generate the same number of zone badge winners (8) across the region.
The 32 Team TKO format I drew up generates 4 "A" zone winners from the A Side at 3-0, and 4 "B" zone winners: 2 each from the B and C Sides at 5-1, 4-1, 6-2 or 5-2.

Old Post 12-07-12 09:36AM
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

The combination of the 32 TKO regions and the awarding of zone badges for the top 8 teams is a really intriguing idea! Logistics would have to be worked out of course. That's alot of 10 end games to fit in over 2 weekends. I hope that the OCA gets presented with something like this and takes a serious look at it. The positives far out weigh the negatives. I believe you would have clubs jumping at the chance to host this event as it would be a money maker instead of a burden (4 team zone).

Old Post 12-07-12 10:22AM
RyanRowe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RyanRowe Click here to Send RyanRowe a Private Message Find more posts by RyanRowe Add RyanRowe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by RyanRowe
The combination of the 32 TKO regions and the awarding of zone badges for the top 8 teams is a really intriguing idea! Logistics would have to be worked out of course. That's alot of 10 end games to fit in over 2 weekends. I hope that the OCA gets presented with something like this and takes a serious look at it. The positives far out weigh the negatives. I believe you would have clubs jumping at the chance to host this event as it would be a money maker instead of a burden (4 team zone).

Thanks Ryan, I'm glad you're on board. I wasn't sure after your earlier post... I agree with your points about the clubs jumping at the chance to host.
Interestingly, there are actually fewer games the first weekend in this proposal than used to be played when we had sixteen team zones play down to 1 winner in the old days. There will be a few extra games the second weekend under this format at Regionals but again that's good for the host club and there's plenty of ice for that.
I will ensure that I get a copy of this to the OCA.

And, hey - good luck this weekend in Zone 4.

Old Post 12-07-12 11:19AM
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks! We'll need it!
I thought your idea was great. My original post was more guided towards the people who think that teams shouldnt be "parachuting" to an outside zone.

Old Post 12-07-12 11:31AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Any updates?

Old Post 12-08-12 03:16PM
Unregistered

So far i only know that the zone 12 winners have been decided:

Rob rumfeldt through A and Peter Mellor throug B

also via their twitter Team epping has qualified for the A final in their zone and play tommorrow

as for the ladies:

Kristy Russell
Tiffany Anjema
Courtney Hodgson
Taylor mellor
Jill mouzar

are the list of zone winners so far

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 12-08-12 05:32PM
curler_bill
Hitting Paint

Corner vs. Robertson A final in zone 8

Old Post 12-08-12 05:43PM
curler_bill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler_bill Click here to Send curler_bill a Private Message Visit curler_bill's homepage! Find more posts by curler_bill Add curler_bill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

zone 11 Jeff Thomson wins A final

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.61.140

Old Post 12-08-12 08:28PM
Unregistered

Why doesn't the OCA post results over the weekend!
Very disappointing that they do nothing

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 67.71.144.87

Old Post 12-08-12 08:42PM