Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Ontario New Teams & Rumours
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Ontario New Teams & Rumours

Just announced: Greg Balsdon is no longer with his team: Aaron Squires is stepping in as vice with Mark Bice moving up to skip.

Skip Mark Bice, vice Aaron Squires, second Steve Bice/Tyler Morgan, lead Jamie Farnell.

https://twitter.com/teammbice

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-12-15 07:28PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Balsdon to join Bowser, Beuk, and Chadwick

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.112.204.246

Old Post 03-12-15 09:05PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Clancy Grandy has left her team and joined Alison Flaxey as third

Old Post 03-13-15 07:17AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Clancy Grandy has left her team and joined Alison Flaxey as third

Was it Katie Cottrill that left Alison Flaxey's team?

Old Post 03-13-15 10:36AM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TDR

Was it Katie Cottrill that left Alison Flaxey's team?

Yes, along with Kristen Foster.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.190.75.20

Old Post 03-13-15 11:54AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

jen hanna and krista mccarville returning next year means the competition in northern ontario will be feirce

david mathers leaving team kean to play 3rd for team casey. its interesting that one. i dont believe that david has ever played 3rd and a big part of that is being able to call line in the house.

no word on who mark is getting to replace him

Old Post 03-24-15 12:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
jen hanna and krista mccarville returning next year means the competition in northern ontario will be feirce

david mathers leaving team kean to play 3rd for team casey. its interesting that one. i dont believe that david has ever played 3rd and a big part of that is being able to call line in the house.

no word on who mark is getting to replace him

Jenn Hanna competes out of Ottawa doesn't she? So I think it is Rachel Homan who had better watch out.

Old Post 03-24-15 01:08PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Talking

Jenn the curling vigilante Hanna back, the vigilante is back. Jennifer Jones, be afraid. Ok, that's enough WWE for one day.

Old Post 03-24-15 06:59PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
recboy_131
Hitting Paint

jenn hanna is playing along with her sister and has picked up brit o'neil and Karen sagle. should be a pretty solid squad.

Old Post 03-24-15 08:21PM
recboy_131 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for recboy_131 Click here to Send recboy_131 a Private Message Find more posts by recboy_131 Add recboy_131 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Jenn is now one of the "senior" skips (she'll be 36 next year). Hope time hasn't passed her by.

Old Post 03-24-15 08:49PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Adam Casey retweeted
Team Casey @teamadamcasey · 10h 10 hours ago
We are thrilled to announce that @dmathers123 from Ottawa will be joining our team next season!

Did anyone see this announcement today? Team Casey is letting Josh Berry go and bringing David Mathers on board. Adam will not let up! So will he be moving back to PEI soon? It has to be a bit challenging living in St. John's, still registered at Dalhousie and curling in PEI. THose are long distances to cover. they had a good run at the Brier. Looking forward to seeing them over the next few years.

Old Post 03-24-15 08:57PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
Adam Casey retweeted
We are thrilled to announce that @dmathers123 from Ottawa will be joining our team next season!

Did anyone see this announcement today? Team Casey is letting Josh Berry go and bringing David Mathers on board. Adam will not let up! So will he be moving back to PEI soon? It has to be a bit challenging living in St. John's, still registered at Dalhousie and curling in PEI. THose are long distances to cover. they had a good run at the Brier. Looking forward to seeing them over the next few years.

yeah, we saw

have to wonder who mark will bring on board. will he try and get back jansen? will he maybe go for a free agent like maybe mapletoft?

im most interested in seeing how david does in managing the house and calling line on adam's shots.

Old Post 03-24-15 08:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

move? hardly

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
Adam Casey retweeted

Why move when you can make it look like you live somewhere? Casey lives in NL, Carmody and Doherty live in PEI, Josh Barry lives in NB, even curled for UNB, and Mathers lives in ON. Casey must be on the 7 or 8 year plan online at Dal, must be running out of time soon. Just more curlers thumbing their noses at the so-called residency rules. Why bother pretending, just come out and say I live in another province and I don't care about the rules.

Old Post 03-24-15 10:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonren
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: move? hardly

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Why move when you can make it look like you live somewhere? Casey lives in NL, Carmody and Doherty live in PEI, Josh Barry lives in NB, even curled for UNB, and Mathers lives in ON. Casey must be on the 7 or 8 year plan online at Dal, must be running out of time soon. Just more curlers thumbing their noses at the so-called residency rules. Why bother pretending, just come out and say I live in another province and I don't care about the rules.

I can confirm that Josh Barry lives in an apartment in Charlottetown, took UNB courses online.

Old Post 03-25-15 09:39AM
jonren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonren Click here to Send jonren a Private Message Find more posts by jonren Add jonren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
josh berry tweet makes him look pretty disappointed .. his tweets indicate a bit of partying ...

has a link @robbiedoherty showing doherty interviewing glen howard and others in the briar patch

I thought that brier patch video was great!

As to the residency thing, John Morris and Pat Simmons I believe were the first to push the envelope. In Pat's case he had an established practice and family that is hard to move for curling which does not pay the bills on a regular basis. Morris could be a drifter but he has a great job in a great community. So now we see more and more shifting of players to meet the olympic goal. Casey's family is still in PEI so he will always have an address there.

As a fan of the game, I like how new combinations are making for some amazing play. eg Fry being dumped by Gushue and moving to Jacob's team.

The only thing I don't like is now the players are being dumped on a regular basis. Casey dumped last year, now dumps someone else. All for that elusive gold medal. Gushue not dumping someone this year?

Teams are a business now. But not enough of one so that the players can curl full time and not have to work. Finding that balance between a job that allows you the freedom to take a lot of time off during the curling season and playing the game you love is a huge challenge.

I honour those who find the balance and provide me with many hours of entertainment.

Old Post 03-25-15 12:14PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Teams changing personnel is a fact of life now . There are many reasons for this but I thonk the top top two would be- not a team player/good fit or a lack of consistent curling skills,
IF elite curlers want to be treated as pros then they need to accept "dumping" , just like other pro sport athletes have to do.

Old Post 03-25-15 03:21PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

you dont have to shop around provinces to put together a team to compete at the top though and so i think thats what bothers some people.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-25-15 04:00PM
JMK
Knee-Slider

David Mathers is moving to PEI in May.

Old Post 03-25-15 04:08PM
JMK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMK Click here to Send JMK a Private Message Find more posts by JMK Add JMK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Balsdon to join Bowser, Beuk, and Chadwick

Sounds like a good law firm.

Old Post 03-25-15 04:19PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshbarry92

Re: move? hardly

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Just for everyone's information: I was likely the only one in the country who actually moved to their respective province and had legitimate residency. I lived in Charlottetown at my own apartment since August and paid monthly rent at. I paid a full-course load's tuition at UNB which was why I could curl for them. If you have any other concerns about my residency after you've spent over net $12,000 out-of-pocket to curl, I'd love to answer your questions!

Josh

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 156.34.75.156

Old Post 03-25-15 08:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: move? hardly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joshbarry92

Just for everyone's information: I was likely the only one in the country who actually moved to their respective province and had legitimate residency. I lived in Charlottetown at my own apartment since August and paid monthly rent at. I paid a full-course load's tuition at UNB which was why I could curl for them. If you have any other concerns about my residency after you've spent over net $12,000 out-of-pocket to curl, I'd love to answer your questions!

Josh
[/QUOT

Thanks Josh

First off sorry to hear you're no longer curling with Casey. You were among the few that do actually move rather than just get the required documents rubber stamped to play for another province. As a doubter for the rest, i wish the provinces would be much more stringent in the residency requirements as for the most part it's just paperwork, not physically moving.

Good luck for next year and I'm sure you'll get picked up by another team if you haven't already.

Old Post 03-25-15 09:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by joshbarry92

Josh

Good luck. Your curling was impressive.

Old Post 03-25-15 10:45PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by joshbarry92

Josh

You helped PEI qualify and the fans should be grateful. You know you did a good thing. I hope the experience will open doors for you in the future. You will be the player others want.

I believe that Ryan Fry also fully moved to NL to play with Gushue for those years and then to the Sault to play with Jacobs. Moves are expensive and only the single with flexible jobs can do it. All for the love of the game. Certainly not for the fame and fortune.

Best wishes Josh.

Old Post 03-26-15 02:00AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Jenn is now one of the "senior" skips (she'll be 36 next year). Hope time hasn't passed her by.

You and me both, "decade"!

I certainly hope that my bum hip holds out for the whole season or else I may have to revert back to throwing with the stick again. Damn my old age.

P.S. I think I'll head out and have some Botox done this weekend.

Jenn Hanna

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.103.153.7

Old Post 03-26-15 10:41AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

You and me both, "decade"!

I certainly hope that my bum hip holds out for the whole season or else I may have to revert back to throwing with the stick again. Damn my old age.

P.S. I think I'll head out and have some Botox done this weekend.

Jenn Hanna

Hilarious!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.224.100.196

Old Post 03-26-15 03:31PM