Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > 2012 Manitoba Scotties
Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kyoh
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
it was a good shot but your being over dramatic about the quality and difficulty level.

Considering all the pressure and what was on the line, plus the fact that she was facing 2 Carey rocks biting the button, and considering she had to hit the rock in the right spot to just get it to outcount the other rocks, I'd say it was a pretty good damn shot.

edit: Sorry, just read ML's post; yeah, in no way was this shot harder than the one she made in 2005. Kinda agree now with what you said misty lol

Last edited by kyoh on 01-29-12 at 08:12PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-12 08:08PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Last 2 shots of the game

Carey
https://www.facebook.com/video/vide...372208452805908

Jones
https://www.facebook.com/video/vide...372035112823242

Old Post 01-29-12 10:42PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by kyoh
Last 2 shots of the game

Carey
https://www.facebook.com/video/vide...372208452805908

Jones
https://www.facebook.com/video/vide...372035112823242

It was a nice shot by Chelsea, however she was leaving that tap for Jones, that really wasn't that difficult of a shot...

It's tough to see the angles for sure based on the camera angle, however I'm kinda surprised she didn't play the runback on the one Jones eventually tapped.

It looks roughly like a nose hit (or slightly outside of nose)... If she makes it, she still lays for shot and Jones might not have anything.

However, it's tough to see if Jones would have had the double tap on the yellow guards into the red on the four foot to sit shot. Or hit it with weight and maybe double the two reds in the four foot. If either of those shots were there, then Chelsea really did all she could.

Old Post 01-29-12 11:24PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

ML, I love your enthusiasm but you've got to take a step back and relax on this one.

JJ's last rock in the Swiss bonspiel they played recently did not sail through the house; by all accounts the team controlled the play in the 10th end and left JJ a wide-open draw to the 8-foot against 2 counters, she threw it well, but the rock picked and ground to a halt.

And Jones has certainly made some winning shots since last year's Scotties final - don't forget they won the Player's Championship last April and the Canada Cup in November.

I don't see Jill's possible sub-par game in the final as evidence of some continuing decline that's happened since last year's national final. Players have off-games from time to time without it being part of some general trend.

Old Post 01-30-12 12:36PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Let's give credit where credit is due - that was a superbly executed shot. And a special shoutout to Kaitlyn Lawes for coming up big, big, big on that lovely line call when her team most needed her!

This is what makes curling so much fun to watch - it wasn't just Jen's throw, but it took Dawn and Jill's judgement of weight and Kaitlyn's sweep call to send them to back to the Scotties. Every teammate had a hand in making that shot! If that shooter curls just another inch, the raised stone runs through and you'd be slobbering all over ChelsC.

Tough loss for Team Carey. Sometimes all you can do is make it as tough as possible for the other skip. It hurts now, but if you are going to lose having the other team make a good shot with their last is the way to do it.

Old Post 01-30-12 01:08PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Great article

Winnipeg Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-138310184.html

Old Post 01-30-12 01:20PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Some interesting quotes in the Winnipeg Free Press from the players after the game

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-138310244.html

Old Post 01-30-12 02:30PM
ManitobaRulz
Harvey Hacksmasher

I still can't believe she won this! How does she do it??

5 straight do or games. Trailing 4-1 in one of them, then capped off with a very difficult shot under pressure in the finals.

Furthermore, according to Wiecek a flash camera went off just as Jen was coming out of the hack, causing her to reset. Wonder who pulled that stunt? Plus Carey was glaring at her from the far hogline and sulked after she made the shot. Have some class!

Jennifer Jones just makes it look so easy. These pressure moments come as a routine for her. I truly belive she just enjoys playing the game so much. It really isn't all about winning for her. If she had missed, she would have handled it all with class.

It's unfortunate that some people continue to downgrade her accomplishments for no good reason.

I am so happy to see her represent my province again!!!

Take a bow Jennifer!!!

Old Post 01-30-12 03:39PM
ManitobaRulz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ManitobaRulz Click here to Send ManitobaRulz a Private Message Find more posts by ManitobaRulz Add ManitobaRulz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tookthetrip
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
Let's give credit where credit is due - that was a superbly executed shot. And a special shoutout to Kaitlyn Lawes for coming up big, big, big on that lovely line call when her team most needed her!

This is what makes curling so much fun to watch - it wasn't just Jen's throw, but it took Dawn and Jill's judgement of weight and Kaitlyn's sweep call to send them to back to the Scotties. Every teammate had a hand in making that shot! If that shooter curls just another inch, the raised stone runs through and you'd be slobbering all over ChelsC.

Tough loss for Team Carey. Sometimes all you can do is make it as tough as possible for the other skip. It hurts now, but if you are going to lose having the other team make a good shot with their last is the way to do it.

Amen!

Old Post 01-30-12 07:42PM
tookthetrip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tookthetrip Click here to Send tookthetrip a Private Message Find more posts by tookthetrip Add tookthetrip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Well I am certainly happy that Ms. Carey didn't win after watching the post game interview on CTV. Every second word out of her mouth was a swear word, and I'm no prude, but knowing when to hold your tongue would go a long way for her. She showed absolutely no class at all.

I have watched a lot of curling and seen a lot of teams interviewed. I have never seen the loosing skip speak like that. I am sure many would like to speak like that, but have more class. I am sure she is disappointed, but she must do a lot of growing up and maturing.

Old Post 01-30-12 07:54PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hasbin
Harvey Hacksmasher

I disagree with Carey not being classy. I have watched this team a lot and Chelsea is very classy....raises her broom when other team makes a good shot, compliments the opposite team member when a good shot is thrown, and interviews very well. In fact, I think it was totally classy that she said Jones was the "best team in the world"....and... jj was fortunate to make that shot as well.... I had a good view of it and it looked wide....and was definitely heavy....and "grabbed" before the hog, started to move hard and a lot of weight came off of it. So...the disappointment of a second year in a row losing a final.... And some "honesty " in her answers ... Is not to be mistaken for a lack of class. In fact.... Much more enjoyable to hear her interviews than the jj "sports psych" babble of " we really don't care if we win.... We just love the game and each other so much".... Please....

Old Post 01-30-12 10:44PM
hasbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hasbin Click here to Send hasbin a Private Message Find more posts by hasbin Add hasbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ManitobaRulz
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hasbin
I disagree with Carey not being classy. I have watched this team a lot and Chelsea is very classy....raises her broom when other team makes a good shot, compliments the opposite team member when a good shot is thrown, and interviews very well. In fact, I think it was totally classy that she said Jones was the "best team in the world"....and... jj was fortunate to make that shot as well.... I had a good view of it and it looked wide....and was definitely heavy....and "grabbed" before the hog, started to move hard and a lot of weight came off of it. So...the disappointment of a second year in a row losing a final.... And some "honesty " in her answers ... Is not to be mistaken for a lack of class. In fact.... Much more enjoyable to hear her interviews than the jj "sports psych" babble of " we really don't care if we win.... We just love the game and each other so much".... Please....

Man do those grapes ever taste sour...

Old Post 01-31-12 01:30AM
ManitobaRulz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ManitobaRulz Click here to Send ManitobaRulz a Private Message Find more posts by ManitobaRulz Add ManitobaRulz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hasbin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Your tag line at the bottom is the exact advice I would have for how Carey should treat your comments.

Old Post 01-31-12 08:47AM
hasbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hasbin Click here to Send hasbin a Private Message Find more posts by hasbin Add hasbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hopefully this link works... here's the interview from CTV...

Yes Carey said 'best team in the world' but she doesn't feel it, 'absolutely not!', haha, but that's OK, she's just disappointed right now, it's understandable.

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...innipegSpecial2

I love how over the moon thrilled Jennifer is to be back at the Scotties, as am I!

I pretty much thought this would be a semi year off for the girls with Jill starting a family but here they are winning Manitoba, after winning the Canada Cup!!

All right let's have a rematch with Holland and get those jackets with the maple leafs on them back!!!! WOOT!!!!!

Old Post 01-31-12 09:49AM
Marvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin Find more posts by Marvin Add Marvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i can obviously understand chelsey's disappointment. 2nd year in a row losing the final..and a very close one as well

it was a final that she had every chance to win..you just wonder how big that missed 3 in the 6th end really was. If she makes that suddenly she's 2 up instead of 2 down with 4 ends left to play..maybe she has the hammer in the 10th end

i think she really did think this was her year and to be honest i did too.

Old Post 01-31-12 10:24AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Location: down the street from psychotic right next to oblivious

Chelsea will win a provincial title, but it won't come until she stops thinking she deserves it, or thinks its her time to win. She had a chance to take the lead and let it slip by. Chances to beat the top teams are there. The reason they win so often is the teams they play against can't make that "BIG" shot when it is called upon them.

Old Post 01-31-12 10:59AM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Well I am certainly happy that Ms. Carey didn't win after watching the post game interview on CTV. Every second word out of her mouth was a swear word, and I'm no prude, but knowing when to hold your tongue would go a long way for her. She showed absolutely no class at all.

I have watched a lot of curling and seen a lot of teams interviewed. I have never seen the loosing skip speak like that. I am sure many would like to speak like that, but have more class. I am sure she is disappointed, but she must do a lot of growing up and maturing.

She made one hell of a shot and until I win one of these damn things will I not feel good about reaching the final. Not exactly what I thought when you said swearing every second word.

Chelsea speaks her mind and from what I see is nothing short of giving Jones credit for being a great team. Lines like the Kevin Martin of Women's curling come to mind.

As for Jones, her comments about being ecstatic to be going back to the Scotties shows how much it means to her to still be winning after all these years. Surely doesn't downplay her drive for the game or anything like that. Great to see the hunger is still there.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 01-31-12 11:42AM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I don't see how ChelC could have assumed this was 'her year'. Both Jones and CC were amazing on the circuit, Jones even better and Jones was doing it with Joelle Sabourin and Jenny Clarke sitting in for Jill Officer. I suspect CC looked at Jones gassing her last rock at the Swiss and feeling Jones would have a let-down and knowing that in her heart of hearts Jill Officer couldn't lug the heavy water, coming off her late Decemeber pregnancy....

Despite the adversity, Jones came thru. SHe actually came shining thru. Two losses in the round-robin, both to mopes and a tie-breaker spot, having to win 5 in a row or it was all for not.

Looking forward to the scoot nationals, now!

yes they were amazing on the circuit but look what that got cathy O.

i think chelsey went in there with confidence..which you have to do and truly believed it was her year to have her break through. She had a very good year on the cash tour last year and lost a tight final in provincials. she's been close before, she believed that she knew what it took to so i can see why she thought so.

i dont think she was wrong to think it was her year because i dont think that is saying she deserves it i think she's saying she has the confidence to win.

Old Post 01-31-12 11:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

The only team that deserved to win Manitoba this year, based on the playoff round was Jennifer Jones. Carey can feel she 'deserves' the thing as much as she wants but in the end, she crapped out early in the game (gassing a shot, allowing Jones a 3-ender) and watched helplessly as Jones fateful last rock made its way down the ice!

dont give me that crap about jj being the only one who deserved to win

if chelsea had won it would have been equally as deserved

Old Post 01-31-12 06:27PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Everybody feels they deserve to win. Everyone can take an arrogant attitude like CC Carey.

However, no denying it. Jones earned her stripes this week. She was wearing a huge target on her back and all the typical Manitoba Roadkill curlers got 'juiced up' playing JJ. Look at what happened early, Boetcher beat her. Even Spencer shook JJ's world in the round-robin before succumbing to the superior squad when the playoff clock struck 12.

nothing arrogant about chelsey's attitude at all. She hoped she was it her year, nothing wrong with that at all

and a couple blown chances for her to possibly win that final or atleast put herself in a more favorable position to do so

Old Post 01-31-12 06:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I equate entitlement to arrogance!

in an interview chelsea said that she didnt think anyone was beating cathy the way she played in last years final. It was her year and she said she hoped that this year was her year

there was no sense of arrogance there, no sense of entitlement

Old Post 01-31-12 08:09PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
There's only two female curlers who could have pulled that final shot Jones team executed.

1. Jones (obviously)

2. Amber Holland (when she's on her game and trying to save ends for her inferior players.

Maybe I should add Sandra, too. She was fearless.

But I don't think the following girls could have come that close.

Laliberte, Colleen Jones, Kleibrink (she's already failed much easier shots trying to win Canadian titles), Bernard (she came up tense in vancouver, costing canada a gold medal), Kelly Scott, Susan Seitz, Alison Goring, etc.

When you want someone to get the job done, you call Jones!

now thats not to say it wasnt a nice shot but to say the jenniffer jones is one of only 2 curlers who could have executed it at that time proves just how far you have your head up her ass

connie, kelly, cheryl, colleen, and shannon all could have made that shot. i dont know those other 2 ladies well enough to say. But just because they may have missed easier shots in the past doesnt mean they couldnt have made that shot. I remind you jenniffer has missed easier shots than that hserself..and yes to win finals

Last edited by misty1 on 01-31-12 at 09:01PM

Old Post 01-31-12 08:11PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

now thats not to say it wasnt a nice shot but to say the jenniffer jones is one of only 2 curlers who could have executed it at that time proves just how far you have your head up her ass

connie, kelly, cheryl, colleen, and shannon all could have made that shot. i dont know those other 2 ladies well enough to say. But just because they may have missed easier shots in the past doesnt mean they couldnt have made that shot. I remind you jenniffer has missed easier shots than that hserself..and yes to win finals

Any saturday night industrial curler could make that shot. It was a 5' raise to the effin 4" for ****** sake. She had to be within 3" of the broom and within 10' of the right weight. She also had backing, which she needed. My god M.I. makes it sound like it was a Hackner or a Koe shot. It doesn't come close to all the great shots that have been made. Just say good shot Jen no need to be over dramatic. Carey's shot before that was way tougher.

Last edited by guido on 02-01-12 at 12:24AM

Old Post 02-01-12 12:13AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
How could I forget?

Another blast from the past who could have made that shot?

Elisabet Gustafson, the great swedish champion!

Don't ever put Shannon Kleibrink and Cheryl Bernard in the same breath as Jennifer Jones!

I agree. Jones has never had a sniff of an Olympic medal.

Old Post 02-01-12 12:15AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

ML is spot on. Sure any of could throw that weight and hit that broom, but doing it when your season is all in is another matter.

Curling.ca has been running athlete profiles where they ask for their "shot to win the Olympics". Most answer draw, throw-through, or anything my skip throws. Not even the biggest jokester has said "Please rgimme an out-turn raise of 7 feet to the lid facing 2"! Maybe soon

Gotta give JJ credit for big shots and successes over her career.

Old Post 02-11-12 09:17AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote