Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Stoughton skipping team at Elite 10
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Stoughton skipping team at Elite 10

this team sounds like a winner to me:

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...-auto-elite-10/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-06-17 02:07PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

I give credit to the Slams coming up with new ideas and I love the exhibition type curling that this event appears to be attempting. Homan was in it last year and I thought it created good interest. But, can they not come up with a legitimate team that has earned an "Elite" status? Throwing together retired players doesn't seem to support a series that always boasts of having the best teams in the world.

Old Post 03-06-17 05:35PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I give credit to the Slams coming up with new ideas and I love the exhibition type curling that this event appears to be attempting. Homan was in it last year and I thought it created good interest. But, can they not come up with a legitimate team that has earned an "Elite" status? Throwing together retired players doesn't seem to support a series that always boasts of having the best teams in the world.

I understand some of the "legitimate" teams are off earning CTRS points at an event in Scotland

Old Post 03-06-17 06:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingfan5
Harvey Hacksmasher

To me it seems like the grand slam organizers missed a golden opportunity to throw an invite to one of the rising teams. They hold a tier 2 event and boast that it's a way to allow an up an comer the chance to experience a slam then they throw together a random team of retired guys??? Sure, they likely will throw a scare into some teams and may even win a couple but this is a waste of an entry.

They should have taken this sponsors exemption and offered it to a young team like Adam Casey or tyler tardi and give them a chance to get experience.

Old Post 03-06-17 08:47PM
curlingfan5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingfan5 Click here to Send curlingfan5 a Private Message Find more posts by curlingfan5 Add curlingfan5 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingfan5
To me it seems like the grand slam organizers missed a golden opportunity to throw an invite to one of the rising teams. They hold a tier 2 event and boast that it's a way to allow an up an comer the chance to experience a slam then they throw together a random team of retired guys??? Sure, they likely will throw a scare into some teams and may even win a couple but this is a waste of an entry.

They should have taken this sponsors exemption and offered it to a young team like Adam Casey or tyler tardi and give them a chance to get experience.

I fully agree.
Lost opportunity for a deserving team.

Old Post 03-06-17 10:02PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

What's wrong with inviting the top team qualified not yet invited. Or even better, the highest ranked local team like they did in NO for the slam there. You might get more people in the stands.

Old Post 03-06-17 10:20PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:

Don't forget that Sportsnet wants eyeballs/ratings and are entitled to do whatever they want with any entries that the top 10 teams declined. They filled two slots with K. Koe and Peter de Cruz who were next on the list....the next team would have been Bottcher. Sorry but Bottcher/Casey/Tardi do not move the needle in any way. I am far more interested in Stoughton and company and I suspect most casual curling fans would rather see a blast from the past then any of the other teams that could have got this entry. Inviting Team Homan last year was great and I applaud this year's creative entry as well.

Old Post 03-06-17 10:44PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Three

Don't forget that Sportsnet wants eyeballs/ratings and are entitled to do whatever they want with any entries that the top 10 teams declined. They filled two slots with K. Koe and Peter de Cruz who were next on the list....the next team would have been Bottcher. Sorry but Bottcher/Casey/Tardi do not move the needle in any way. I am far more interested in Stoughton and company and I suspect most casual curling fans would rather see a blast from the past then any of the other teams that could have got this entry. Inviting Team Homan last year was great and I applaud this year's creative entry as well.

exactly, can hardly wait to see Stoughton curl again. Can only wish Burtnyk was in that mix!

Old Post 03-06-17 10:46PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I have no problem with these guys forming a team and playing this event. I quite like the idea, actually.

Although, if they're looking for decent curling quality and drawing the attention of fans, sending an invite out to Guy Hemmings to join the team would have been good...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 03-07-17 02:09AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingfan5
Harvey Hacksmasher

If this is the case and the slams are created for viewing eyes rather than the best competition, there is way too many oom points being given to the grand slams. The whole purpose of the slams was to create better competition and to give the top teams more exposure and grow the sport.

Seems a shame to cost a team that may have been potentially on the pre-trials bubble the chance to gain some points just so stoughton can attract some fans

Old Post 03-07-17 02:17PM
curlingfan5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingfan5 Click here to Send curlingfan5 a Private Message Find more posts by curlingfan5 Add curlingfan5 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
If this is the case and the slams are created for viewing eyes rather than the best competition, there is way too many oom points being given to the grand slams. The whole purpose of the slams was to create better competition and to give the top teams more exposure and grow the sport.

Seems a shame to cost a team that may have been potentially on the pre-trials bubble the chance to gain some points just so stoughton can attract some fans

I am pretty sure there are no OOM points given out by the Elite 10 since it is not a real curling event. The scoring is skins format therefore no OOM points can be given. I suppose a shot to win and get into the Champions Cup is at stake where points could be garnered.

Old Post 03-07-17 04:57PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Second2
Knee-Slider

Super Excited to see Stoughton out on the ice again, and I think having a "creative" entry into an event this late in the season is a great way to boost viewership in person and on TV. I'm gonna be watching for sure.

Old Post 03-08-17 07:52PM
Second2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Second2 Click here to Send Second2 a Private Message Find more posts by Second2 Add Second2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

No Order of Merit or CTRS points awarded at the Elite 10 as it uses Match Play format.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-08-17 09:31PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeliaSchwanke
Harvey Hacksmasher

Great insights prodentim and well-researched content!

Old Post 03-10-24 05:07AM
DeliaSchwanke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeliaSchwanke Find more posts by DeliaSchwanke Add DeliaSchwanke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote