Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2023 Mens Worlds
Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Curling Canada has a published policy that Scotties and Brier finals are 10 ends played minimum. If teams keep violating that policy and concede early, how do you think TSN and other broadcasters will react? What will that do for TV contracts, which are important source of revenue for the sport that obviously needs the money?

Curling needs to grow. We can't keep clinging on to the familiar past forever. We have to embrace whatever it takes to take the sport to the next level.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-23 12:33AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
The problems with Curling are a result of general economic decline and can't be fixed with "changing the game for the sake of change"

On the contrary, it should be obvious by now that there's a problem with curling with regards to broadcasting it on television. That's why there's a huge debate between 8-vs-10, getting rid of extra ends, thinking time per end, etc.

I'm putting all of those existing proposals aside for now and I'm brainstorming for ideas on how we can make curling compelling in the 10th end even when one team is ahead by a big margin. We still want the team that is ahead to be the favorite with smart play and good execution, but we also want to have something worth watching/televising for all 16 stones if possible.

It's a problem for broadcasters when teams concede early. That's why we have various policies regarding minimum number of ends played. In WCF, it's minimum 6 round robin and 8 for playoff. Canada goes hardcore and says minimum 8 round robin and 10 for playoff.

So obviously that's what they want. So let's make it happen. Let's make it so that Jennifer Jones down by 6 points against Kerri Einarson in Scotties final doesn't feel compelled to concede in 9th.

Old Post 04-10-23 02:48AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

I can't believe this forum is actually getting worse.

Old Post 04-10-23 07:32AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

While the 3rd end was the key, there were lots of other half shots. Did you hear Brad's comments to the front end as they stood on the side in the 8th waiting Mouat to throw his last rock? Brad said "sorry boys. embarrassing "" This loss was 90% his to own and he did. Class act.

Old Post 04-10-23 10:09AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Just shows how funny this sport is too. Retornaz was an inch away from making the final yesterday. Now he ends up with nothing .

Mouat and Retornaz get to play each other again in 24 hours time!

Crazy there isn't a bigger gap to the players championship but the slams have to fit round the world mixed doubles.

Old Post 04-10-23 10:23AM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1

Gushue said in post game interview that the ice was straighter than he expected.

Blatantly meaning that it changes from practice.

Thats an accusation of corruption....what else can it possibly be?

Maybe Scotland was so perfect because they had perfect real time insider knowledge of ice, while Gushue was left to guess.

Thats what Gushue said over and over gain throughout the tournament.

I suggest that CurlingWatcher1 figures out the specific person who fixed the ice.

With that kind of fine grained control over the conditions they are clearly the greatest ice maker in history and we should send all other ice makers to learn at their feet and get pebbled with their brilliance.

Old Post 04-10-23 11:07AM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by bpm

Either gerry needs to invest in proper software and moderation or shut it down. Because this is just so painful to even watch. It's like a farce. The spam bots aren't even the worst thing any more.

Old Post 04-10-23 12:25PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by bpm

LMAO. It is really a joke now. I went away for most of the year, came back to talk Scotties/Brier/Worlds and now I'm done for good.
Happy trails to all the real curlers out there, may the oligarchs and the silly rulemakers leave you be to just play the game.

Old Post 04-10-23 02:33PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

From what I understand, league curlers can barely play 7 ends within the timeslot allotted. More often they can only play 6 ends, and only the fastest most efficient club curlers can play 8 full ends.

In other words, if we change the rule of curling so running opposition out of stones is now illegal, it won't affect how most club curlers play anyway, since it doesn't seem like they ever had enough time to play enough ends to actually run their opposition out of stones.

Old Post 04-10-23 02:57PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Here's an example of a stalemate trap in chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaFAUwdv1jw

Black's army is overpowering White, and it seems like a win by Black is inevitable. Realizing that White is going to lose, White set up a stalemate trap and put themself in the corner defenseless with absolutely no legal move.

Black was one move away from a win by checkmate, but instead Black blundered and the game ended in a draw because of stalemate.

Imagine if we can do that in curling. Einarson is up by 6 vs Jones in 10th end of 2023 Scotties final, and Jones tries to set up traps for Einarson, who must be careful not to make illegal takeouts, and at the same time not to give up a 6-ender. That would be so entertaining to watch.

Curling is a cerebral sport, so watching the 10th end with this rule would be so much better than watching it under the current rule where Einarson just has to hit-hit-hit mindlessly bang-bang-bang to win.

----------------

Here's an Eric Rosen compilation video of his famous stalemate trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB_LLivPlY8

Today, this is an accepted part of chess. Most experienced chess players wouldn't say that the better player with the larger army is being "punished" when the game ends as a draw due to a stalemate. It's not a "punishment" when the clearly superior side still has to think and execute carefully to earn the win.

Historically, stalemates had been a win, a loss, or outright illegal, and today most people believe that making it a draw when you run your opposition out of legal moves makes for the best most cerebral form of chess.

I would argue that making it illegal in curling to run your opposition out of stones also makes for the best most cerebral form of curling.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-10-23 at 04:28PM

Old Post 04-10-23 03:40PM
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not sure where you've heard this from, but completing 8 ends of curling in 2 hours is very doable and very normal.

Contrary to what most people believe, its the late starting (starting to walk onto the ice @ the top of the hour vs throwing the 1st rock) and slow front ends that I find slow down game play, not the skips ...

The lead of who's team scored shouldn't be helping to clear rocks. He finds his 1 rock and gets into the hack, ready to throw...

There's sooo much time wasted between ends in league play.

Old Post 04-10-23 04:06PM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lixit74
Not sure where you've heard this from, but completing 8 ends of curling in 2 hours is very doable and very normal.

That may be true. If it is, then yeah, I guess this proposed rule would affect most club players.

But that's not so bad. Russ Howard invented FGZ and made certain takeouts illegal because the game was dumb once a team is up by 2, because they can just hit-hit-hit and bang-bang-bang for the win. They invented FGZ so the game becomes more cerebral, more fun to play.

Right now, the game is dumb once a team is up by 6 in the 10th end, because they can just hit-hit-hit and bang-bang-bang for the win.

I would argue that my proposed rule would also make the 10th end when you're up by 6 more cerebral, more fun to play, even for club curlers. You have to play smart, avoid traps, make good shots to defend a 6-point lead.

Even if no one is televising your game, that should be more fun than playing the 10th under the current rule.

Old Post 04-10-23 04:22PM
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would argue that making it illegal in curling to run your opposition out of stones also makes for the best most cerebral form of curling.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-10-23 at 03:58PM

It’s really too bad that you (Clips)don’t actually Curl. You see in the curling world probably about 95 % of the population are really good people and many,many of them become lifelong friends. On the other hand if you are a jerk and do not fit in the phone does not ring in the fall when teams are being formed so ultimately the bad apples are weeded out. This is where you come in…you wouldn’t last a week around the club with your absolutely insane insistent on changing the rules and ridiculous views on a game you do not even play.We used to have “Manitoba Legend” posting crap before but at least he curled and knew the game.Please take up another sport you may be more knowledgeable about…just think you could eliminate 2nd base in baseball or fix the kick off returns in the NFL..all kinds of possibilities..and please no 8 page comebacks..no one cares.

Old Post 04-10-23 04:33PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I can also justify making it illegal to run your opposition out of stones using Spirit of Curling, which says "Curlers play to win, but never to humble their opponents".

I would argue that winning by running your opposition out of stones is basically humbling your opponent, so we should make it illegal because it violates Spirit of Curling, which is arguably the most important principle of the sport.

There! Simple as that!

Here's an illustrative example. We all know that the gold medal game at World Men's must be played to a minimum of 8 ends. Even if the score is 20-0 after 7, that 8th end must still be played to its completion, since WCF rule R11(a) does not allow teams to concede earlier.

Did you know that R11(a) explicitly also doesn't allow early concession even if the team is out of stones? Go look it up!! R11(a) says that even if the score is 30-0 after 7, that 8th end must still be played to its completion, even though there's no mathematical chance to tie the game, since you can only score a maximum of 24 points in 3 ends!

How is that not the utmost humbling of your opponent to run them out of stones and force them to play the 8th end even though they're already mathematically lost? How is that not a violation of the Spirit of Curling???

That's why I propose that we should make it illegal to run your opposition out of stones!

So if you're up 23-0 with hammer in 7th, it's now illegal to score a deuce. You can still take a single, but a deuce would put you at 25-0 with 3 ends to go. That would mean that your opposition will be out of stones, but must still play the 8th end anyway due to R11(a). That is humiliating, a violation of the Spirit of Curling, so let's not do that, and let's make it illegal to score a deuce.

You can still score your one, so now you're up 24-0 without hammer in 8th. Now, for the rest of the game, you're not allowed to take out any stone, and must defend a 24-point lead using guards, draws, freezes, and taps to prevent an 8-ender.

If you can prevent an 8-ender without using takeouts, you win.

I would argue that this is what Spirit of Curling really means. I would argue that scoring a deuce in 7 to run your opposition out of stones is a violation of Spirit of Curling.

Old Post 04-11-23 06:12AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The more you try and make every single game look similar by limiting possible outcomes the less compelling the sport will be. There is a reason essentially all sports allow close games and routs: variety. Micro-managing any sport so that every game must conform to a narrow range of possible outcomes won't make it more exciting. I think we are seeing this with mixed doubles which has not blown up in viewership popularity the way people thought in 2018...and I think it's because the games are too similar and boring. But beyond that, a curling game doesn't exist in a vacuum any more than an end does; it exists in the context of a tournament, a season and a career. Brad Gushue getting blown out in the world final didn't make for the most exciting game but it makes his history more interesting.

Of course there's an even more obvious answer: you can't grow a sport where the rules are so complicated no one can follow them.

Old Post 04-11-23 01:09PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
you can't grow a sport where the rules are so complicated no one can follow them.

I agree with that statement 100%.

However, I will say that my proposal in its principle is actually not that complicated, since it's based on existing premise, "running the opposition out of stones" (RTOOOS).

Right now, RTOOOS means mathematically guaranteed victory. I'm just changing it so that RTOOOS is now illegal. That's it, ultimately.

Yes, that does lead to complex consequences once you think about it (nothing wrong with that for a cerebral sport), but the principle itself is simple.

It's similar to the hammer rule: simple, but has complex consequences where sometimes teams may prefer to not score, or even to give up steals.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-11-23 at 02:50PM

Old Post 04-11-23 02:45PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

As a small aside, here's a fun clip of the greatest chess player of all time Magnus Carlsen falling into a stalemate trap made famous by Eric Rosen, who is the person commentating. It's a wholesome content even if you don't know chess, and it also show how a simple principle like "stalemate=draw" can create interesting ways to play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFiim8lFS2A

Despite having a clearly superior army, Black did not win. White, left with only defenseless King on the board, set up a stalemate trap, and Black falls for it and the game ends as a draw.

If chess had kept to its old ways and says "stalemate=win", the game would become dumb and less cerebral.

Old Post 04-11-23 03:00PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
The more you try and make every single game look similar by limiting possible outcomes the less compelling the sport will be. There is a reason essentially all sports allow close games and routs: variety. Micro-managing any sport so that every game must conform to a narrow range of possible outcomes won't make it more exciting. I think we are seeing this with mixed doubles which has not blown up in viewership popularity the way people thought in 2018...and I think it's because the games are too similar and boring. But beyond that, a curling game doesn't exist in a vacuum any more than an end does; it exists in the context of a tournament, a season and a career. Brad Gushue getting blown out in the world final didn't make for the most exciting game but it makes his history more interesting.

Of course there's an even more obvious answer: you can't grow a sport where the rules are so complicated no one can follow them.

re: Mixed Doubles
I'm still confused how regular mixed curling did not make it into the OG yet mixed dubs did. I was never a big fan of doubles, but have grown to find it somewhat watchable (but only if it is involving players from teams i know/watch are participating), but it is very samey, every end. You'll still see great, crowd invoking shots, but to me, it seems so few and far between. Maybe that is a good thing, I don't know, but it's basically a snoozefest for me.

Old Post 04-11-23 03:05PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
I'm still confused how regular mixed curling did not make it into the OG yet mixed dubs did

Supposedly it was due to logistics with number of athletes. 4-person mixed has 2 more athletes per team than mixed doubles, and that's not something that they're willing to deal with.

Personally I love mixed doubles more than traditional curling, but I had the fresh perspective of being a fan in 2018 and watching both sports for the first time simultaneously. I can understand why older fans of traditional curling would hesitate to embrace the newer mixed doubles, but for me, they were both new.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-11-23 at 03:31PM

Old Post 04-11-23 03:26PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

What do networks do when Tennis matches end early/rain delay etc: They show either a) other matches happening that day or b) previous matches. Since they have access to this.
Baseball games: Other games, highlights of other games, previous days sports highlights...lots of options.

I'm not sure this incessant need to come up with completely ignorant and asinine "ideas" if we can even call them that.

It's pretty simple. Let the game grow and develop through a more natural pathway, as it has and continues to do. If a game ends early there are multiple options of what to do within the time slot. Unlike other sports, curling will NOT go over their allotted time slot, we can thank the time clock for this. No need for this 'not allowed to run teams out of rocks' nonsense.

Old Post 04-11-23 03:27PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
No need for this 'not allowed to run teams out of rocks' nonsense.

Well, people said the same thing against FGZ in the '90s. Curling didn't need FGZ for centuries, but the game was becoming dumb when a team is up by 2 points since they were just hitting every stone out of play, basically running the opposition out of stones all the way to victory.

It's not nonsense to use that same principle and apply it to the entire game. Running the opposition out of stones is dumb, and FGZ isn't enough to prevent that, so let's make it illegal.

Old Post 04-11-23 03:38PM
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

I personally don't like the tick rule, even though it is needed for the top level of the sport. Just look @ Edin in the quarter final against Gushue. He elected to try a raise triple blank attempt rather than draw the 8 foot for a point. Scoring would have put him down 2 without playing 8. The goat felt that the tick rule wouldn't allow his team to outscore the opponent 3-1 in a 3 end game. (give up 1, blank, take 3, steal 1.) @ that top level, its still game over. He essentially ran out of rocks when he was down 2 points after 7 ends...

Ultimately, the decision making process has to do with what the fans want vs what's best for the curlers... The fans want every game to go down to the last shot with no certainty of outcome. The players want the opposite. The game is a very different animal @ the top level vs the club level...

I've heard an idea of giving 2 points to a stone that's touching the button for scoring... This idea would all but eliminate blank end and it allows teams to come back from 2 down with for a win. It would also be VERY easy to adopt @ the club level. Drawing the button for most club teams is an event all in of itself...

This being said, until the game changes to 8 ends for championship play, nothing else should (or will) change. This is the next logical step for the game for the next Olympic cycle.

Once this happens, the Grand Slams will try out the next rule change & we'll see what happens from there...

Old Post 04-11-23 03:49PM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Agreed - 8 ends is the way to go, for all events. And no stupid Curling Canada rules that force teams to play all 8, even though they don't actually enforce it at all.
I'm not anti-no tick rule. I just think it's silly to punish teams/players for being too good at shots. I get it, i'm just indifferent to it.
If they wanted to make it more difficult for teams leading at the end to still win, instead of the no tick rule, they could have just made it that no rock can be removed from play until after the 5th rock has been thrown similar to mixed doubles.

Old Post 04-11-23 04:11PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
they could have just made it that no rock can be removed from play until after the 5th rock has been thrown similar to mixed doubles

We can also step it up a notch where we make it absolutely mandatory that the first 5 stones of the end must stay in play on the ice. No more throwing away lead stones to the board. No more ticking corner guard and rolling your shooter out of play.

Penalty for not putting your shooter in play is the non-offending team gets to hand place that stone anywhere they want on the ice.

Note that even mixed doubles doesn't have this rule. Right now, you can throw away your shooter to the board and that's perfectly legal. I want to make that illegal, with serious consequence for violation.

So with your proposed rule and mine combined, every end is guaranteed to start with all 5 stones in play after the first 5 deliveries, no matter what.

If the sweeper burns a lead stone before the hog line, opposition gets to handplace it wherever they want. If the lead gets a hog line violation, opposition gets to handplace it wherever they want. If lead violates FGZ and makes an illegal takeout, reset the stones to where they were before, and instead of kicking the shooter off the ice, the opposition gets to handplace it wherever they want.

So the beginning of every end now becomes super tense and high pressure, and viewers are guaranteed something cerebral and watchable no matter what happens.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-11-23 at 04:57PM

Old Post 04-11-23 04:29PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

^ Please stop quoting me. If I could stay permanently logged in here, I would never see your posts. However, sadly, this isn't the case.

Old Post 04-11-23 05:03PM