Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World juniors 2023
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

World juniors 2023

I don't know how many are paying attention but it's bad for canada. Women are 1-6 and I'm fairly sure relegated again. Men are 2-5 and need help but are very likely relegated too. You need a top 6 finish and with dsv and h2h with other teams in this situation. I dont think it's possible for canada to stay safe.

I never thought I'd see the day when canada got relegated.vit happened last year and it stunned me. This year it could and likely will happen to the men and women and I don't know what to think.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-01-23 11:16AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

This is on CC; they need to up the age to 21 and send the current year winner.

Old Post 03-01-23 12:30PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I wouldn't worry too much about relegation in juniors because (i) calendar means you can get promoted in same season, and (ii) combined men's & women's means that Canada can secure next year just by being host country.

This is very different than relegation at Pan-Continental & Europeans, which is in fact devastating.

Old Post 03-01-23 12:58PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I am disappointed for the teams from Canada that are there. However your record is what is it is as they say. I believe it is a reflection that Canada can no longer think that there are just some years that are not good but a turnaround will happen the following year. Again I want to emphasize that I feel bad for these young curlers as no one ever wants to be the team that puts your country in a relegation scenario.

Old Post 03-01-23 01:04PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I wouldn't worry too much about relegation in juniors because (i) calendar means you can get promoted in same season, and (ii) combined men's & women's means that Canada can secure next year just by being host country.

This is very different than relegation at Pan-Continental & Europeans, which is in fact devastating.

Next year's is in finland so I'm.not sure what you mean there

Old Post 03-01-23 01:07PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Next year's is in finland so I'm.not sure what you mean there

Ah, yes, they just announced that today.

https://worldcurling.org/2023/03/wj...t-announcement/

It's still the case that Canada can qualify for 2024 World Juniors no matter what happens in 2023, due to how the junior calendar works.

Not all relegations are the same. Relegation in men's and women's are devastating, but in juniors it's not a big deal because you always have a chance to play in every year.

I prefer to frame it as pre-qualifying vs normal qualifying. No one would say that GBR women's was ever relegated for 2022 Olympics. They just didn't have enough points to pre-qualify, so they had to go through the last chance qualifying event.

It's the same with juniors: you either pre-qualify based on result from previous year, or you play in qualifying event like everyone else.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-01-23 at 01:26PM

Old Post 03-01-23 01:19PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Yes that's true but rhe fact is they have to play a qualifying to event to qualify. So yes they could be relegated and then qualify but what 8f they don't get a top 3 in that B qualifier? . Unlikely but possible and so there is a slim chance there is no canada at the 2024 world juniors

Old Post 03-01-23 01:26PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
there is a slim chance there is no canada at the 2024 world juniors

That's the new reality for Canada now. Putting the hosting agreement aside, Canada doesn't get auto-berth for pretty much anything in curling anymore. Pan-Continental means Canada has to play to qualify at Worlds. Growing worldwide competition in juniors mean they might have to qualify along with the rest of the world. Gold medal at 2018 Olympics mixed doubles means absolutely nothing for qualifying in 2022.

Old Post 03-01-23 01:32PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

That's the new reality for Canada now. Putting the hosting agreement aside, Canada doesn't get auto-berth for pretty much anything in curling anymore. Pan-Continental means Canada has to play to qualify at Worlds. Growing worldwide competition in juniors mean they might have to qualify along with the rest of the world. Gold medal at 2018 Olympics mixed doubles means absolutely nothing for qualifying in 2022.

Yes , I know this. But it didn't seem like canada would ever be in this situation. It's just shocking to me . I never thought I'd see this

I mean. Specific to this event Canada is very lucky not to be 0-7 in the women right now if not for a stolen win over Scotland. Did we ever invision that ?

Last edited by misty1 on 03-01-23 at 01:39PM

Old Post 03-01-23 01:37PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Specific to this event Canada is very lucky not to be 0-7 in the women right now

As a fan of curling, I'm rooting for host country Germany women's (2W-5L) over Canada (1W-6L) to make it to top 6 this year. That's how you grow the sport worldwide.

Next year we should all be hoping that host country Finland makes it to top 6.

Old Post 03-01-23 01:53PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Well then you'll need to hope Germany wins its last 2 and Korea loses its last 2 for them to get top 6. I have no idea how the hell germany lost to Japan. They really should have won that one. Had control and last shot was simple

Old Post 03-01-23 01:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm glad Canada women's stole 10th and 11th for the win against Germany. I was rooting for Germany, but that was a good extra end Canada played and they deserved the win.

Old Post 03-01-23 03:58PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Just wondering if the junior teams were unprepared for the level of competition? Last year the men qualified I believe they got bronze. The women of course had to qualify through B.

Who from Curling Canada is ensuring they are prepared? I have a friend who curls at the same club as the jr men and indicated they don’t curl together just for cashspiels etc…

Old Post 03-02-23 02:36PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I don't think it's any coincidence that CC makes changes to the juniors including how they qualify and suddenly you ho from always or 9/10 times competing for a medal to bouncing In and out if the elite tier.

Go back to the way things were. Because, yes the world is getting g better but it's like I said above. I refuse to believe that the state of canadian curling in juniors has dropped off this much in a short time

Old Post 03-02-23 02:49PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Both USA & CAN "relegated" (if you want to call it that) in juniors, both men's and women's. What crazy times we live in.

I have high hopes both will be back in next year, though.

Old Post 03-02-23 05:13PM
andree23
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's really subway surfers interesting how the author can make connections that other people would overlook. This essay is a master class in original thought.

Old Post 08-09-23 05:46AM
andree23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andree23 Find more posts by andree23 Add andree23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lime82930
Harvey Hacksmasher

Different types of surfaces require different types of dust cloths. For instance, delicate surfaces like electronics screens and glass tables may require a softer, lint-free cloth to avoid scratching, while sturdy furniture and hard surfaces might benefit from a more abrasive cloth for effective dust removal. https://cleanhomeview.com/

Old Post 08-10-23 04:59PM
Lime82930 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lime82930 Find more posts by Lime82930 Add Lime82930 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote