Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > Slow Play and Timeouts in Regionla Play
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
douchebaghater
Knee-Slider

Slow Play and Timeouts in Regionla Play

The MCA is going to need to address the timeout issue that seems to have arisen first during a Safeway Berth spiel earlier this season and arose during Winnipeg Men's Regionals.

Most of you reading this will be aware that Mb Berth and Regional games consist of 10 ends or 2hr 15min bell where you finish the end you are playing and then play one more. So begin the 9th end, before the bell rings 2.25 hours after the start of your game and you get 10ends in. In a perfect world without strategy challenged, narcissistic short term thinkers, this would not be a problem, however somewhere along the line, The MCA decided to allow 5th end breaks and timeouts during Safeway qualifying games and some teams appear to be abusing these breaks/timeouts.

No doubt there is a place for 5th end breaks and timeouts in all Juniors and perhaps womens curling, but is it really needed or fair in Men's curling at a regional level, when we are not using thinking time, but shared time???

There are more than a few, fairly high profile, very slow teams in Manitoba. I would like to think they know who they are, but more than likely not, right Mr. S. Sigurdson, Mr. W. Lyburn, Mr. Grassie???

Slow moving people, or those that are chronically late tend to be lacking a self awareness gene. I am aware of at least three occassions where slow playing Men's teams have utilized a 5th end break, or called a timeout in the 7th or 8th end of a tight game they might have control in, especially if it the 9th end will be the last. In my opinion, that is a douche move, penalizing the opposing team and needs to be policed.

Yes I am putting a slow playing teams and those that slow play a bell on the same boat... cause or cause and effect... same boat.

I do not have any issue with 5th end breaks or timeouts during Provincial events as Thinking time is in use and there is no penalty to an opposing team.

To make this long story shorter, The MCA needs to do one of the following to eliminate abuse of this policy, in my opinion:

1. Do not allow timeouts or 5th end breaks during belled
Safeway Berth or Regional games.

2. same as number 1.

Take this for what it is worth, I am sure slow playing teams can always justify there inabilty to foresee there next shot because of a peanut allergy or dyslexia.
I would like to think I am not alone in making this rant! Its time to call out those that play slow and and those that are slow playing douchebags

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-13 06:55PM
douchebaghater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for douchebaghater Find more posts by douchebaghater Add douchebaghater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cameroon2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Don't think Sigurdson or Grassie were in regionals this year. Sounds like someone got burned by the current rules?????

All these teams mentioned had no issues on the MCT or WCT this season and the games are 8 ends with no time outs and no complaints were heard.

Sounds like someone had some sour grapes for lunch. Nice user name by the way, very classy.

Old Post 12-19-13 09:04PM
cameroon2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cameroon2 Find more posts by cameroon2 Add cameroon2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I kinda like the username...but I'm not from Manitoba and shouldn't be sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.

Sour grapes or not, timeouts in a game ruled by a bell sound pretty stupid to me. The answer is probably simple: No timeouts after the fifth end by the team that is leading.

I, too, hate douchebags. I just really doubt there are very many of them curling in Manitoba. From my experience, if a Manitoba curler did something douchie, they weren't aware of what they were doing. Few and far between are the Manitoba curlers who don't have the spirit of curling at heart.

Ben Tucker
North Dakota

Old Post 12-20-13 08:50AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cameroon2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agreed Tuck. Have met many fine people in the sport over the years and very, very few have not had the best sportsmanship of any sport. One of the really enjoyable things about curling.

Shake hands before, shake hands after and share a few beverages and stories in the lounge.

Good stuff!

One comment on the length of a game in competition to qualify for a national championship, WHO CARES! Play all night if you wish.

Games with a bell and/or time restrictions are meant for events that have a limited amount of time such as leagues and bonspiels, and expensive TV coverage.

Old Post 12-20-13 06:11PM
cameroon2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cameroon2 Find more posts by cameroon2 Add cameroon2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

put teams on the clock at regionals, then there is no problem. They will be on it at provincials.

Old Post 12-21-13 02:43PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Regionals? You're not from Manitoba either, are you?

Ben Tucker
Close to Manitoba

Old Post 12-21-13 03:11PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cameroon2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Volunteers to run clocks probably an issue local events and competitions

Old Post 12-21-13 07:25PM
derekpap
Harvey Hacksmasher

There isn't enough clocks to run thinking time at all the regionals at the same time either.....

Old Post 12-21-13 11:38PM
derekpap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derekpap Click here to Send derekpap a Private Message Find more posts by derekpap Add derekpap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

a small investment by the associations. we have them available for events like regionals and finding club members to run them isn't really that difficult. There is no hanky panky this way and you would not believe how the pace of play picks up.

Old Post 12-22-13 05:30AM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Solution - make all games eight ends, everywhere on the planet.

Old Post 12-24-13 09:26AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I don't know that that would fix it completely. You still find teams who drag on the conversation forever in 8 end games and get in trouble with the time clock.

Old Post 12-24-13 09:29AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote