Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > 2014 Safeway Championship
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

2014 Safeway Championship

Now that the regionals are done, I have noticed a few upsets & thanks to Resby @ www.thecurler.com he has gave us a list of teams that made it!

Teams that were already in
Stoughton
McEwen
Fowler
Ramsey
S. Sigurdson
B Sigurdson
Kuran
Grassie
Kraichy

Now for the reigional winners

WESTMAN
Graham Freeman-Virden (Allan Lawn, Kevin Barkley, Dwayne Barkley)
Steve Irwin-Brandon (Joey Witherspoon, Travis Taylor, Travis Saban)
Kelly Robertson-Neepawa (Doug Armour, Peter Prokopowitch, Bob Scales)

WINNIPEG
Justin Stanus-Fort Rouge (Nolan Bradshaw, Eric Laduc, Justin Twiss, Fifth Josh Drews)
Randy Neufeld-Pembina (Jim Coleman, A.J. Girardin, Shane Halliburton)
Randy Dutiaume-Thistle (Dave Tonnellier, Bryce McEwen, Sheldon Wettig)
William Lyburn-Fort Rouge (Alex Forrest, Connor Njegovan, Tyler Forrest, Coach Gerry Sande)
Dave Johnson-Pembina (Robin Nelson, Gary Shibata, Dave Priestley, Larry Lagace)

CENTRAL
Ryan Hyde-Portage (Farrol Asham, Kyle Einarson, Kenny Keeler)
Geoff Trimble-Gladstone (Jeff Stewart, Darren Pennell, Alan Christison)
David Hamblin-Morris (Doug Hamblin, Kevin Hamblin, Lorne Hamblin)

INTERLAKE
Jared Kolomaya-Stonewall (Neil Kitching, Kennedy Bird, Daniel Hunt)
Justin Richter-Gimli (Shawn Magnusson, Bryan Galbraith, Darcy Jacobs)

EASTMAN
Richard Muntain-Pinawa (Mike McCaughan, Curtis Atkins, Rodney Legault)
Wayne Ewasko- Beausejour (Randal Thomas, Dave Beaudoin, Gord Stelmack)

NORMAN
Grant Brown-Burntwood (Jonathon Sawatzky, Tuffy Seguin, David Schneider)

PARKLAND
Brent Scales-Swan River (Gord Hardy, Kelly Tibble, Todd Trevellyen)
Greg Todoruk-Dauphin (Dwight Bottrell, Darcy Todoruk, Barrett Procyshyn)

Some notable missing names that will be hungry for a spot in the Brandon Mens or Curl Manitoba Open.

Kirkness, Loreth, Daneualt, Graham, Wickman, Chudley, Woodward

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-13 01:06PM
ruralkid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruralkid Click here to Send ruralkid a Private Message Find more posts by ruralkid Add ruralkid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

Manitoba has to do something about their playdown system.
It's rediculous to have that many rinks left.

Old Post 12-16-13 01:14PM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so..were those rumours that McEwen and carruthers teaming up just a rumour then?

and no daley peters

Old Post 12-16-13 02:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Oly M. Pics
Manitoba has to do something about their playdown system.
It's rediculous to have that many rinks left.

I don't know about that. The older I get the more sense the MB playdown makes. I'm sure it could use some fine tuning. I know round robin provincials with 12 teams is beginning to seem ridiculous (ON)

Old Post 12-16-13 02:44PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

In my personal opinion I would be shocked if any teams change until the year is over. Then let the shuffle begin as there will be many changes.

The teams that didn't win the ROTR shouldn't change until the complete year is offer in my mind, this would be for the benefit of the team & its players. Remember these teams aren't done until April as there are 2 Grand Slam events left that will give their sponsors some awesome National TV Coverage.

If they choose to break up, I would hope they wouldnt approach the same sponsors next year again as I think it would be a waste of time!

Old Post 12-16-13 03:39PM
ruralkid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruralkid Click here to Send ruralkid a Private Message Find more posts by ruralkid Add ruralkid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

There are 11 teams in Ontario playdown's, not 12 and it mirrors the Canadian championships in format, which helps prepare the provincial winner for what they will face in the Brier.

Old Post 12-16-13 04:38PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

This one is going to depend on how motivated Stoughton and McEwen are, after not making it to the Olympics. I still think 1 of those 2 teams is going to be motivated enough to win it. For me, a darkhorse is Kraichy - I think he has a decent chance.

Old Post 12-16-13 07:08PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This is definitely the one I could see a random winner coming out of . That being said I do fully expect McEwen or Stoughton to win ..although if I had to put money on it id hedge more to McEwen

If Jeff does retire after this year I wonder what Reid does. Does he try and skip a team again or does he join up at second?

Old Post 12-16-13 09:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ForeignLawyer
Knee-Slider

Seeds for first 27 qualified teams?

1 Stoughton
2 McEwen
3 Fowler
4 Lyburn
5 Grassie
6 Irwin
7 Ramsay
8 S. Sigurdson
9 Kuran
10 B. Sigurdson
11 Kraichy
12 Dutiaume
13 Neufeld
14 Kolomaya
15 Richter
16 Freeman
17 Robertson
18 Scales
19 Muntain
20 Johnson
21 Hamblin
22 Todoruk
23 Stanus
24 Hyde
25 Trimble
26 Ewasko
27 Brown

Last edited by ForeignLawyer on 12-18-13 at 11:07AM

Old Post 12-17-13 08:28PM
ForeignLawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ForeignLawyer Click here to Send ForeignLawyer a Private Message Find more posts by ForeignLawyer Add ForeignLawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sorry, but the best longshot is Kolomaya.

Nice to see the Hamblins playing as a family. Cool.

I'm surprised to see that Young North's name is missing so far. I hope they get a MCA spot.

Has Randy Neufeld been playing much after last year's knee surgery? He's playing out of The Pembina??

Where are they playing it this year?

I really feel the need to cheer for McEwen. How many times can curling break their hearts before we call them Bernie Sparks?

Ben Tucker
North Dakota

Old Post 12-17-13 08:49PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

The same venue as the Olympic trials, MTS Iceplex. 29 Jan - 2Feb 2014

http://www.curlmanitoba.org/mens-ch...ip#.UrGH3493uos

Old Post 12-18-13 06:34AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

The Olympic Trials were held at the MTS Centre, where the Jets play. The Safeway Championship will be held at the MTS Iceplex, where the Jets practice. Capacity at the Iceplex is about 1,500, which is 1/10th the size of the MTS Centre.

Old Post 12-18-13 09:30AM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

BeerMaker,

It is not the same venue as the Olympic Trials as it was held in the MTS Center.
The Iceplex is a different facility, much smaller than the 15004 that the MTS Center holds. I don't know for sure but I am guessing the Iceplex holds around 4000 but that would be just a guess.

Old Post 12-18-13 09:31AM
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

27 seeds

Personal predictions

1 Stoughton - Proven winner
2 McEwen - Can this be the year
3 Fowler - Has won it before
4 Lyburn - New Team, new learning curves
5 Grassie - Played lots
6 Kraichy - Good Shooters had good cash year
7 Kuran - Great year for a new team, Bill a nice fit
8 Ramsey - See if they can get hot like they did begin the year.
9 S Sigurdson - Young guns
10 Irwin - Will they get the respect without Terry?
11 Kolomaya - Potential is there
12 Freeman - Experienced team
13 B Sigurdson - Always around & no one wants to play them
14 Dutaime - New team, will experience be a factor
15 Richter - Back in the game?
16 Muntain - Always gets to the show
17 Scales - Back for another run, could surprise some teams
18 Hamblin - Family affair
19 Neufeld - Hasn't played much since surgery but has the experience
20 Trimble - Gaining experience
21 Robertson - Do they still have it in them
22 Johnson - Another sleeper
23 Hyde - Great team on paper so far struggled this year
24 Ewasko - Back for another year
25 Todoruk - Enought experience??
26 Brown - The boys from the north you never know
27 Stanus - Upset Willy, first time

Old Post 12-18-13 09:51AM
Beermaker
Drawmaster

I am sorry, but I will stand corrected, lol. Thanks.

Old Post 12-18-13 10:14AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ForeignLawyer
Knee-Slider

Re: 27 seeds

quote:
Originally posted by ruralkid

6 Kraichy - Good Shooters had good cash year

Can't see Kraichy being inside the top 10 as none of them have ever made the final 8 in multiple appearances. Cash season wasn't good enough to get the #6 spot either

Old Post 12-18-13 10:49AM
ForeignLawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ForeignLawyer Click here to Send ForeignLawyer a Private Message Find more posts by ForeignLawyer Add ForeignLawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I like the young Steen Sigurdson team. Saw them fearless in Neepawa last year. And they're back. Young. Fit. Eager. Smart. A real team feel. Watch these fellows.

Old Post 12-18-13 03:08PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tookthetrip
Harvey Hacksmasher

Another opinion for what it's worth:

1 Stoughton
2 McEwen
3 Fowler
4 Grassie
5 Lyburn
6 Ramsay
7 Kraichy
8 Irwin
9 S. Sigurdson
10 Kuran
11 B. Sigurdson
12 Kolomaya
13 Dutiaume
14 Richter
15 Ewasko
16 Muntain
17 Robertson
18 Stanus
19 Scales
20 Trimble
21 Todoruk
22 Freeman
23 Neufeld
24 Hyde
25 Hamblin
26 Brown
27 Johnson

Old Post 12-18-13 06:59PM
tookthetrip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tookthetrip Click here to Send tookthetrip a Private Message Find more posts by tookthetrip Add tookthetrip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Like. Ya see. I was just checkin' last year's Safeway Championship scores (still on the website which isn't current for 2014 yet) and Steen Sigurdson defeated Willy (duh, not Alan) Lyburn twice, if I read that right. Kinda too bad to come up against the same team in a provincial championship, but SteenSig got more than a couple of games - and I think, it's two games and you're outta there. Check the scores.

So those of you seeding <for fun> - take a look at the Neepawa results... http://safewaychampionship.ca/live-results (results from the *2013* event in Neepawa)

Last edited by nelski on 12-18-13 at 10:29PM

Old Post 12-18-13 07:39PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ForeignLawyer
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I like the young Steen Sigurdson team. Saw them fearless in Neepawa last year. And they're back. Young. Fit. Eager. Smart. A real team feel. Watch these fellows.

I agree. They won close to $15,000 this year on the WCT/MCT, and they beat Willy twice to qualify in last years Safeway. Nice to see some youth doing well

Old Post 12-18-13 10:22PM
TDR
Hitting Paint

Top 5 seeds and draw is now out: http://www.curlmanitoba.org/editori...ay-Championship

No surprises among the top 5 seeds. Any way to find out who was seeded 6 - 10?

Old Post 01-24-14 01:47PM
TDR
Hitting Paint

Based on the draw brackets, my guess would be Ramsay at #6 (in Q2 bracket with Fowler); S. Sigurdson # 7 (in Q1 bracket with McEwen) and Kraichy # 8 (in Q4 bracket with Stoughton).

Old Post 01-24-14 01:54PM
Bully73
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by TDR
Based on the draw brackets, my guess would be Ramsay at #6 (in Q2 bracket with Fowler); S. Sigurdson # 7 (in Q1 bracket with McEwen) and Kraichy # 8 (in Q4 bracket with Stoughton).

Or possibly Irwin at #8 given his Brandon Bonspiel win with Lyburn and Fowler in the field - regardless, one of them is probably 8 and the other 9

Old Post 01-24-14 02:23PM
Bully73 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bully73 Click here to Send Bully73 a Private Message Find more posts by Bully73 Add Bully73 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote