Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > Summer curling
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Summer curling

Does anyone know if there are bonspiels around in the summer? If so where. Do any clubs in manitoba have ice during the summer months?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-14 07:00AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

There are a fair number of summer bonspiels in BC...

http://www.curlbc.ca/competitions/b...piels-calendar/

And I think there are a couple more not on that list. I've been to the ones in the Okanagan over the years, they're a lot of fun. The Powell River one is pretty good too, but they didn't have the numbers to run it last year... and it's a bit of a pain to get there (2 ferry trips from Vancouver... it'll take you a full day's drive to get there). I've heard good things about the spiels on Vancouver Island too... and you can combine some good golfing to go with the curling...

There is the one in North Bay ON summer spiel in July (https://www.facebook.com/events/176825359106370/). I heard a lot of good things about that spiel last year.

There used to be a couple in Manitoba (Warren and Morden I think... I've never been, so I'm going by what I've heard). I'd check out the CurlManitoba website and see if they post any there.

Old Post 03-21-14 11:48AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sweat Towel
Harvey Hacksmasher

I remember the summer spiel that used to go on in Gimli at the arena. It was a blast. You had to bring your own fog horn though. Some draws you could hardly see the end of the ice.

I believe that Bismarck, ND still has their golf and curling event during the summer, don't they?

Old Post 03-21-14 01:29PM
Sweat Towel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sweat Towel Click here to Send Sweat Towel a Private Message Find more posts by Sweat Towel Add Sweat Towel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwenzek
Harvey Hacksmasher

There's actually a ton. Apparently theres a summer spiel every weekend somewhere in the US. I'm probably going to Seattle for one myself. As for Canada, BC has them in Parksville, Mill Bay, Powell River, and Osoyoos (I think there's more…). There is also one in Irma AB which is a blast. I've also heard there will be ice all summer in Vancouver as well as the Saville Centre starting in July.

Old Post 03-21-14 06:05PM
dwenzek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dwenzek Click here to Send dwenzek a Private Message Find more posts by dwenzek Add dwenzek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScotchOnTheRock
Knee-Slider

Not Manitoba, but Four Seasons Curling Club in Blaine, MN is having our "Blazing Brooms" Summer Spiel June 12-15. Last year it was a 64 team spiel, this year we're shotting for 96 teams. A couple of you friends north of the border would be more than welcome! You can register here..... http://assn.la/Reg/?R=4:73943

Hope you are able to consider it! I don't like to brag, but we do have a very good ice maker and even in the summer, our ice is top notch. Cheers!

Old Post 03-21-14 06:30PM
ScotchOnTheRock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ScotchOnTheRock Click here to Send ScotchOnTheRock a Private Message Find more posts by ScotchOnTheRock Add ScotchOnTheRock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

This new spiel at the Granite is almost summer: http://www.granitecurlingclub.ca/Bonspiel.htm

Old Post 03-21-14 10:02PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by TDR
This new spiel at the Granite is almost summer: http://www.granitecurlingclub.ca/Bonspiel.htm
S

Is this a mct event?

Old Post 03-21-14 10:28PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss
S

Is this a mct event?

Yes, & WCT.

Old Post 03-21-14 10:56PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dwenzek
There's actually a ton. Apparently theres a summer spiel every weekend somewhere in the US. I'm probably going to Seattle for one myself. As for Canada, BC has them in Parksville, Mill Bay, Powell River, and Osoyoos (I think there's more…). There is also one in Irma AB which is a blast. I've also heard there will be ice all summer in Vancouver as well as the Saville Centre starting in July.

Seattle's spiel is in June (13-15th).

Lots more than you listed in BC (there's a good one in Kelowna over the Canada Day weekend), most are posted on the Curl BC website.

Piles in the US... a couple I've heard good things about is the Golden Gate Spiel (San Francisco Bay Area Curling Club - Memorial Day weekend in the US - May 23rd to 25th) and the Hollywood Spiel (Hollywood Curling Club - July 4-6th). There are lots of others all across the states if you search for them.

As far as summer ice... Vancouver isn't going to have summer ice (at least not the Vancouver CC... their ice goes out mid-May, back in early Sept). North Shore Winter Club (North Vancouver) has ice in until the end of May, but I haven't heard if they're going to keep it all summer this year (they did a couple of seasons ago, but not last year). And they are the last two clubs with ice in the Lower Mainland usually.

I wouldn't be surprised about the Saville Centre... they usually have the ice in late July.

Carleton Heights CC in Ottawa also has ice in late July/early August (or if not them, another club in the Ottawa area from what I've been told)... but they don't usually host summer spiels, just a summer curling league.

Old Post 03-22-14 01:02AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlFlorida
Knee-Slider

Smile Curl in Summer!

This is a link to the homepage for the annual summer spiel, they accept entries for mixed, womens, and mens curling teams
It operates every summmer at the Cape Cod Curling club and they do a great job with the event and the facility
Try this link
http://www.capecodcurling.org/index...ummerspiel-2014

Old Post 03-24-14 02:30PM
CurlFlorida is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlFlorida Click here to Send CurlFlorida a Private Message Find more posts by CurlFlorida Add CurlFlorida to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote