Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2023 Mens Worlds
Pages (11): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Why does any country need to just conform with WCF 100%? How is that better for anyone or the sport than modest variety based on what people in each country prefer?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-23 11:52AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Why does any country need to just conform with WCF 100%?

They don't. Honesty I think it's charming that Canada has their own rules. I like the fact that Team Canada sometimes forgets that they only have 1 timeout at Worlds, not 2.

But if Switzerland does conform 100% with WCF rules (I honestly don't know for sure, I'm just guessing at this point), then I think that's the right attitude to win, in my opinion.

It shouldn't be controversial to say that if you want to win Competition X at Worlds and Olympics, then your nationals/trials should also be Competition X, and not some slightly different version of it.

Old Post 04-08-23 11:59AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
It shouldn't be controversial to say that if you want to win Competition X at Worlds and Olympics, then your nationals/trials should also be Competition X, and not some slightly different version of it.

Except history tells us it doesn't matter much.

Old Post 04-08-23 01:41PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Except history tells us it doesn't matter much.

You don't think Canada is underperforming internationally? I know you've said the men's side is fine, but is it? We could field six teams who'd make the playoffs at this tournament. Only country who could. And yet we're lucky to medal.

I'm not for radical changes because I think the Brier and Scotties, and domestic Canadian curling scene, are important. But I do acknowledge it's a handicap internationally.

Old Post 04-08-23 02:39PM
naterock_11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naterock_11 Find more posts by naterock_11 Add naterock_11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Fun fact: if SUI wins 2023 World Men's, then SUI will have a 2023 World Men's & and a 2023 World Women's champions playing together as husband & wife at 2023 World Mixed Doubles.

I'm rooting for this to happen, and for them to win 2023 World Mixed Doubles too. That would be an epic accomplishment for SUI and their high performance elite curling program.

My heart wants Jones/Laing to finally win gold for Canada, though. That would bring me tears of joy.

Old Post 04-08-23 03:00PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Something we're seeing with Sweden is that while they are strong stating with hammer they are not good when forced to chase and they've been chasing this entire game. There's been zero pressure put on Canada by them

Old Post 04-08-23 03:18PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Fun fact: if SUI wins 2023 World Men's, then SUI will have a 2023 World Men's & and a 2023 World Women's champions playing together as husband & wife at 2023 World Mixed Doubles.

I'm rooting for this to happen, and for them to win 2023 World Mixed Doubles too. That would be an epic accomplishment for SUI and their high performance elite curling program.

My heart wants Jones/Laing to finally win gold for Canada, though. That would bring me tears of joy.

I wouldn't mind Switzerland winning . If skaslien and nedregotten were there for Norway I'd have pulled for them. Really like the Estonia rik too. Think they're due for a strong worlds

Old Post 04-08-23 03:20PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Really like the Estonia rik too.

Estonia is also one of those smaller curling nation that really takes curling super seriously as a sport. The facility where they train at has the wheelchair lines at all times.

Curling Talinn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AExLFFmCHug

I think most curling facilities in the world don't have wheelchair lines. Some facilities aren't even wheelchair accessible for spectators.

Mark Ideson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItUPvJovylA

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-08-23 at 03:33PM

Old Post 04-08-23 03:27PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Well, the reign is over. It's too bad both of these qualification games are subpar. Hope the semi's are of much better quality.

Old Post 04-08-23 03:59PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I don't know what the **** edin was thinking on his last in 7. It made no sense

Old Post 04-08-23 04:02PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I don't know what the **** edin was thinking on his last in 7. It made no sense
I know it seems irrational. Russ was kinda too nice about it. Made it sound too reasonable. It was a great call if you just wanted to go home.

You're looking great on your predictions Misty.

Old Post 04-08-23 04:08PM
naterock_11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naterock_11 Find more posts by naterock_11 Add naterock_11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Look everybody, Sweden went from beating everyone easily to can't beat anyone in about 20 minutes. Edin was laughing and smiling like a chestshire cat in the post game interview in the final round robin game. Wouldn't answer a single question honestly. Then they don't even bother showing up for the playoff game. Explain that?

I expect Canada to beat Scotland and then lose to Switzerland in the final.

The fact that Switzerland beat both Canada and Sweden fairly easily in the round robin was proof the fix was in.

They're playing Switzerland in the semis. Calm down.

Old Post 04-08-23 04:35PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by naterock_11
They're playing Switzerland in the semis. Calm down.

^ right, LOL

Old Post 04-08-23 04:38PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

You don't think Canada is underperforming internationally? I know you've said the men's side is fine, but is it? We could field six teams who'd make the playoffs at this tournament. Only country who could. And yet we're lucky to medal.

I'm not for radical changes because I think the Brier and Scotties, and domestic Canadian curling scene, are important. But I do acknowledge it's a handicap internationally.

Well, what rule difference is currently handicapping us? We've had almost identical rules for many many years now. Unless the number of time outs is the difference, which I don't agree.

I do not really think Canada is under-performing. If the top 5 or 6 teams at this event have parity then your chance of winning isn't going to be much better than 1/5 or 1/6. Maybe slightly higher but not much. And you have a couple bad games or a pick or whatever and you lose.

Canada is running on 3 of the last 4 silvers, and a gold before that. They won a bronze at the Olympics and a 4th before that. And literally the difference maker in every single one of those non-golds has been one team (Edin).

quote:
Look everybody, Sweden went from beating everyone easily to can't beat anyone in about 20 minutes. Edin was laughing and smiling like a chestshire cat in the post game interview in the final round robin game. Wouldn't answer a single question honestly. Then they don't even bother showing up for the playoff game. Explain that?

I expect Canada to beat Scotland and then lose to Switzerland in the final.

The fact that Switzerland beat both Canada and Sweden fairly easily in the round robin was proof the fix was in.

This is a brain damaged individual. They require mental health help.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 04-08-23 at 04:50PM

Old Post 04-08-23 04:41PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Canada will lose and Gushue will blame the building for bad ice.

If I'm right will you agree I'm on to something?

No because this is a super easy thing to predict. The odds of either team winning are probably 50/50 and Brad Gushue often talks about his issues with the ice after a loss. It's like predicting Switzerland, the #1 team, to win—so exceptionally plausible it takes zero prediction.

But that's the issue with conspiracy theories for absolute morons. They're not based on anything outside the normal realm of possibility. Like Sweden struggling a bit late in the week when Edin is working off an injury recovery. That is just something that happens in real life. The only thing that makes it sinister is whatever internal issues you have whereby you know your own irrelevance and unimportance in the world but instead of accepting it you blame a conspiracy. When the truth is you just do not matter and no one cares about you in the grand scheme of things. Like every normal person.

Old Post 04-08-23 04:47PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

2200 less people in attendance today compared to last night seems odd, no? In hindsight, they saved their money by watching online/on tv.
Tonight's semis is also a rematch of the draw 1 games, since SUI/CAN and ITA/SCO played each other on the opening afternoon. SUI/CAN also on sheet A again for the rematch, weird fact.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-08-23 at 05:12PM

Old Post 04-08-23 04:53PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Canada will lose and Gushue will blame the building for bad ice.

If I'm right will you agree I'm on to something?

I've never seen Gushue solely blame the ice, and the ice is pretty good so no. You should really take a step back and think about why you are so compelled toward conspiracy theories. It's not healthy.

Old Post 04-08-23 05:59PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
2200 less people in attendance today compared to last night seems odd, no? In hindsight, they saved their money by watching online/on tv.
Tonight's semis is also a rematch of the draw 1 games, since SUI/CAN and ITA/SCO played each other on the opening afternoon. SUI/CAN also on sheet A again for the rematch, weird fact.

Night vs. afternoon. Tonight should be full. The lower bowl seemed full today so likely just the uppers empty which makes sense.

Old Post 04-08-23 06:26PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Night vs. afternoon. Tonight should be full. The lower bowl seemed full today so likely just the uppers empty which makes sense.

You asked what rules handicap Canada? Obviously residency. The fact that we have a domestic curling culture that divides talent by province. You're talking about timeouts when the big whopping residency rules are there as an example. It's a failure of imagination if you can't picture Bottcher as Gushue's 3rd or vice versa. In Canada Oscar Erickson could easily skip his own team.

Old Post 04-08-23 06:34PM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
You asked what rules handicap Canada? Obviously residency. The fact that we have a domestic curling culture that divides talent by province. You're talking about timeouts when the big whopping residency rules are there as an example. It's a failure of imagination if you can't picture Bottcher as Gushue's 3rd or vice versa. In Canada Oscar Erickson could easily skip his own team.

I believe the US did that grand experiment of hand selecting national team reps. Then these super teams got beat by Shuster, who went on to Olympic Gold.

There's your failure, let's not do that.

Old Post 04-08-23 06:47PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

The context of the conversation you're responding to is the difference in countries that adhere to WCF rules or don't. Residency is a separate discussion.

Old Post 04-08-23 07:05PM
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

Eliminating the 4 time defending champion(I had to look that up) is kind of a big deal. Even should Canada lose to Switzerland eliminating Edin is still a big deal.

Old Post 04-08-23 07:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Give me Italy and Canada over Scotland and Switzerland tonight

Old Post 04-08-23 08:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Yeah, looking pretty likely that the suisse men play for bronze...again

Old Post 04-08-23 09:35PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Yep , Switzerland down. You gotta kind of feel for Schwarz. His record in the semis of events is so bad. Think he's only ever won 1 at th senior level.

Old Post 04-08-23 09:52PM