Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Ontario Scotties
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Shawno8079
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ontario Scotties

Well let's get some predictions for Ontario Scotties now that all of the teams are set.

I predict the following teams to make the playoffs:

Sherry Middaugh
Allison Flaxey
Cathy Auld
Tracey Horgan

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-28-13 05:25PM
Shawno8079 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shawno8079 Click here to Send Shawno8079 a Private Message Find more posts by Shawno8079 Add Shawno8079 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Ontario Scotties

quote:
Originally posted by Shawno8079
Well let's get some predictions for Ontario Scotties now that all of the teams are set.

I predict the following teams to make the playoffs:

Sherry Middaugh
Allison Flaxey
Cathy Auld
Tracey Horgan

Sounds about right.

Old Post 12-28-13 06:45PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Team Hastings may sneak in there too. My money though is on Horgan - the experience in China will serve them well. It will be interesting to see how Middaugh does...

Old Post 12-30-13 11:09AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Here's a link to the draw and list of 10 teams participating

STOH teams

Anyone know if there will be television coverage?

Old Post 12-30-13 12:51PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Horgan is going to take the Ontario Scotties. The team is on a roll.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.144.197.6

Old Post 01-01-14 10:00PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Horgan is coming off a win in China, but there sure isn't a lot of recovery time between getting back and going to Provincials. Two long events back to back, with around the world travel between....could pay off, could backfire.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.113.252.94

Old Post 01-01-14 10:15PM
Unregistered

Ontario is wide open this year. There are about 7 teams with a legitimate chance to win.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.146.107.33

Old Post 01-02-14 09:03AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

How is Sherry Middaugh NOT the favourite after reaching the Canadian Olympic Trials final?

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 01-02-14 11:30AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Lucky

I think Middaugh got lucky to reach the trials final. There are better teams in Ontario. Her team got on a roll at the trials and won 4 or 5 games in a row at the end of the trials. obviously they lost their last game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.16.225.198

Old Post 01-02-14 01:35PM
Unregistered

I think Team Flaxey is going to surprise some people. Their past 4 results have been impressive.

Stu Sells Toronto Tankard - 5-0 (won the spiel)
OVCA Ladies Spiel - 3-3 (lost A, B and C qualifiers)
Saskatoon Ladies Grand Slam - 6-2 (lost in the semi final, defeated Jones in a B qualifier and only loses were to Jones and Jaggi)
Regions - 4-0 (Defeated Middaugh in A-final)

That puts them at 18-5 in their last 4 events.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.38.159.22

Old Post 01-02-14 05:11PM
Unregistered

Re: Lucky

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think Middaugh got lucky to reach the trials final. There are better teams in Ontario. Her team got on a roll at the trials and won 4 or 5 games in a row at the end of the trials. obviously they lost their last game.

they played great in all of those games. maybe there was some element of luck but don't put it all down to that and diminish what they did

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 01-02-14 05:22PM
Unregistered

quote:
I think Team Flaxey is going to surprise some people. Their past 4 results have been impressive.

Stu Sells Toronto Tankard - 5-0 (won the spiel)
OVCA Ladies Spiel - 3-3 (lost A, B and C qualifiers)
Saskatoon Ladies Grand Slam - 6-2 (lost in the semi final, defeated Jones in a B qualifier and only loses were to Jones and Jaggi)
Regions - 4-0 (Defeated Middaugh in A-final)

That puts them at 18-5 in their last 4 events.

I rank them as 4th favorites behind middaugh, auld and horgan really any of those 4 could win though.

Old Post 01-02-14 05:23PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

So far, I see Horgan as a one hit wonder. (thanks to some youthful inexperience by Ms Homan). Check the order of merit this year and see her 12 pts- all from the Road. Hasn't made one playoff round yet.
Ok the win in China- good for her but it does not make her a dragon slayer yet.

Old Post 01-02-14 05:40PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Tracy Horgan was not a one year wonder, she will certainly be seen at Scotties in the future I'm sure. Yes, they had a rough start to the season. They have been around for several years and we will see them again. They had a good showing at the Pre-Trials, making it to the 'B' semi-final before forcing Sonnenberg to make a tough to win, and also in the 'C' final, forcing Sweeting to a tough draw for the win. Horgan is a great young team who will be seen for a number of years.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.167.246.77

Old Post 01-02-14 06:47PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Tracy Horgan was not a one year wonder, she will certainly be seen at Scotties in the future I'm sure. Yes, they had a rough start to the season. They have been around for several years and we will see them again. They had a good showing at the Pre-Trials, making it to the 'B' semi-final before forcing Sonnenberg to make a tough to win, and also in the 'C' final, forcing Sweeting to a tough draw for the win. Horgan is a great young team who will be seen for a number of years.

We will see more of her in the future because starting next year, she basically will get a free pass to the big show. Wasn't there only 5 teams in her playdowns this yeat?

Old Post 01-02-14 08:16PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Yes. And with McCarville out of the picture for a few years, Horgan should have several chances to get out to the big show.

Old Post 01-02-14 09:04PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

We will see more of her in the future because starting next year, she basically will get a free pass to the big show. Wasn't there only 5 teams in her playdowns this yeat?

Boy do I tire of this NONT "free pass" mentality. What do they need to do to shed this reputation?

On the women's side, if McCarville were to return next year, A Horgan/McCarville final would be one of the better women's finals in the country (outside of MAN/AB/ON, where would you find a stronger final? Maybe SK?). In addition to solid, consistent WCT results, McCarville has made a STOH semi, and Horgan took out Homan to make her STOH appearance. I have a problem calling a province a "free pass" when numerous, very legitimate teams emerge, even when up against regular ONT.

And, on the men's side, have a look at Jacobs' so called "free pass" in recent history:
- In 2009, Jacobs lost the 1v2 game.
- In 2010, Jacobs needed a miracle steal of 3 to win the final.
- In 2012, Jacobs again lost the 1v2 game.
Yes, they eventually got through, and have made 4 straight appearances. But make no mistake - those playdowns were no cake-walks.

Finally, as for a province where one team dominates being a "free pass" - is regular ONT therefore a free pass because of Glenn Howard? Is Manitoba a free pass because of Jennifer Jones? No one seems to make those arguments.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.113.252.94

Old Post 01-02-14 09:30PM
Unregistered

So with Horgan and Middaugh being the favourites and Flaxey, Hastings, Auld being "dark horses", how do you guys think they would fare if they made it to the Scotties?
My picks:
Middaugh: 8-3 or 7-4
Horgan: 7-4
Auld: 6-5, maybe 5-6
Flaxey: 5-6
Hastings: 5-6, maybe 4-7
Based on what I've seen from these teams in the past, that's what I think they'd do if they went on to the STOH. What do others think?

Old Post 01-02-14 09:48PM
Unregistered

Your records would be tough to achieve ... they only play 9 games.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.146.107.33

Old Post 01-02-14 10:15PM
ott-am

The Ontario Scotties have 10 teams - 6 from the south and 4 from the north, so the RR portion is 9 games and if you come in the top 4, there is a page playoff format, so there could be more games. When Ontario decided to invite the defending champ to provs for mens, they did not do that for the women.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.246.123.238

Old Post 01-02-14 10:41PM
Unregistered

Oops, I mean that would be their records at the 12-team national STOH (my thoughts anyways). Sorry!

Old Post 01-02-14 10:49PM
Unregistered

quote:
Your records would be tough to achieve ... they only play 9 games.

^I wasn't clear with how I phrased that, I wanted to (see how those teams would fare?) if they were to appear at the national Scotties, not the Ontario playdowns.

Old Post 01-02-14 10:58PM
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yep, I can see Horgan or Middaugh going 8-3 at a Scotties. I know this isn't the proper thread for this, but is Marie-France Larouche competing this year?

Old Post 01-03-14 12:20AM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by nickelcity
Yep, I can see Horgan or Middaugh going 8-3 at a Scotties. I know this isn't the proper thread for this, but is Marie-France Larouche competing this year?

no she's not

Old Post 01-03-14 12:14PM
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

no she's not

That's disappointing, with the Scotties in Montreal this year you would think she'd compete to make it there?

Old Post 01-03-14 01:22PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote