Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Who has qualified for the Ontario Tankard?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JB42
Drawmaster

Who has qualified for the Ontario Tankard?

I looked around the web and the OCA website and could not find anything that told me who has qualified for the Ontario Tankard.

They have a FB page for the event in Smith Falls starting Jan 27 but no listing that I can find of who will be there. As to the OCA site, lord, they could take a lesson or three from CZ.

Thanks to CZ I was at least able to see what is happening in the Challenge Round. Bit of a 'Holy Smokers' going on there.
Keen is out. Lost to Epping. Higgs is in went out A side.
The B side Final is Frans v Epping. So that means that Keen and either Epping, former WCT GS Players Champion, or Frans, last year's Ontario Finalist, and former Brier runner-up, will not be in the Ontario Provincials this year. Contrast that with Glenn who will be playing in somewhere around his 25th this year.

Which brings me back to my first question. If Epping, Keen, Frans and Higgs, arguably the four best teams after Team Howard, didn't qualify via the regionals......who the hell did???

At I guess I'd say Rumsfeldt, Balsdon and Cochrane, and obviously Team Howard, but who the heck are the other two that knocked off the Challenge Round guys?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-14 05:48PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Desifan
Hitting Paint

Yes, Kean is out unfortunately. Frans made it I think. I can't remember who all won regionals, but unfortunately Howard is probably going to win again. Sure, they're good, but I'm sick of them winning all the time. I want change. When will I get it. Who knows.

Old Post 01-12-14 06:19PM
Desifan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Desifan Click here to Send Desifan a Private Message Find more posts by Desifan Add Desifan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

unfortunately I cant give a complete list of who got through regionals..

I know names like howard, rumfeldt and balsdon are there and I think Cochrane

higgs got through the challenge round a side

frans, epping and Macaulay are battling it out in the challenge round and 1 of those 3 will complete the line up

Old Post 01-12-14 06:29PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

or you could go to the OCA site, look up Travelers Tankard and click on the winners link...and viola.....

http://www.ontcurl.com/competitions/winners.aspx?id=505

Old Post 01-12-14 06:33PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Desifan
Yes, Kean is out unfortunately. Frans made it I think. I can't remember who all won regionals, but unfortunately Howard is probably going to win again. Sure, they're good, but I'm sick of them winning all the time. I want change. When will I get it. Who knows.

Frans is playing Epping at 7 pm.

Old Post 01-12-14 06:46PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

1A Mark Homan Ottawa Curling Club
1B Bryan Cochrane City View Curling Club
2A Rob Lobel Thornhill Golf & Country Club
2B Shannon Beddows Cannington Curling Club
3A Jake Walker Chinguacousy Curling Club
3B Rob Rumfeldt Curling Club of Collingwood
4A Mark Bice Glendale Golf & Country Club
4B Craig Van Ymeren St. Thomas Curling Club

Old Post 01-12-14 07:31PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Change......

Well there's three brand new names at least. Homan, Beddows, and Van Ymeren. Lobel and Bice have been around for quite some time but don't always make it. Cochrane and Rumsfeldt have been there quite a lot but have never won. Getting past Glenn, and Before Wayne, and in there Morris, and Corner, and Harris, it's a tough go in Ontario. Perhaps not the toughest but definitely in the top two or three.

I'm watching the Epping v Frans final of the B side for the Challenge Round. Epping is up 5-4 in 9 with hammer. The stream unfortunately seems to only cover the even ends, so all you can see in 9 is their deliveries.

Old Post 01-12-14 09:08PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Epping just took out Frans in the b-side semi

so either Epping or Mcaulay will complete the field

Old Post 01-12-14 09:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Epping is in

Glenn will of course be heavily favoured but this is curling. McEwen lost to Fowler, Russ Howard lost to Bob Ingram, upsets happen in this ole game of ours. The eight in a row is a testament to how very good Team Howard is.

Old Post 01-12-14 09:18PM
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

Don't you think John should actually win tomorrow before you declare him in. Especially since there are upsets as you say.

Old Post 01-12-14 09:26PM
Unregistered

Cochrane won in 2003 and Rumfeldt won as second for Ingram in 1996

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.243.42.146

Old Post 01-12-14 09:54PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Epping....

...lol....yes upsets do happen. I mistakenly thought that was the B side Final. Don't know the MacAulay team.

Old Post 01-12-14 10:09PM
Unregistered

How did Howard qualify? Looking at the OCA website, it says 10 teams will qualify; 2 from each region and 2 from the challenge round.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.192.170.78

Old Post 01-12-14 10:11PM
tlkcurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Howard gets a automatic entry to provincials being last years winner

Old Post 01-12-14 10:18PM
tlkcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tlkcurler Find more posts by tlkcurler Add tlkcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Epping does qualify for provincials. Looks like he's moved Colin Mitchell down to lead and bumped David Mathers up to 2nd

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 01-13-14 11:00AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

Congrats to Epping!

Old Post 01-13-14 11:01AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to the Epping Rink, advancing to the Provincial Championships in Smith Falls. The best part was that the game was played in 2 hours, which shows that a game does not have to take 3.5 hours to play at this level.

Old Post 01-13-14 11:01AM
Unregistered

Re: Change......

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
it's a tough go in Ontario. Perhaps not the toughest but definitely in the top two or three.

It's probably the toughest provincial to get to in the first place. Everyone has to slog through it, only the defending champ returns. There's just so much depth in Ontario that the rest of the country doesn't see, which is why there are surprise omissions every year. And that's in addition to the difficult format, which punishes stronger Zones/Regions based on it's outdated, geographical only basis. Manitoba's system is pretty darn tough as well - but it's a much different format. I personally think Ontario's provincial is the most difficult to qualify for.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

Old Post 01-13-14 12:12PM
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Maybe the surprises to qualify are not so much a symptom of a broken system, but a sign of how deep the talent is in this province.

Old Post 01-13-14 01:07PM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by christhecurler
Maybe the surprises to qualify are not so much a symptom of a broken system, but a sign of how deep the talent is in this province.

In what ways do you feel the Ontario playdown system is broken?

Old Post 01-13-14 01:13PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm curious too to see how the Ontario system is broken?

Old Post 01-13-14 01:35PM
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I didn't say the system is broken. just making reference to the push to reform the process after a bunch of big names didn't get through regionals.

Old Post 01-13-14 01:57PM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

There is an extensive forum (look under Provincial Playdowns) on the broken system in Ontario. As for the OCA saying that no suggestions were received, well that is a fairy tale. Over the years, numerous teams have presented proposals to the OCA on how to improve the play down system. None were ever taken into consideration.

As for the clubs begging to host zones, most of them would rather not unless the OCA guarantees a full 6-8 sheets worth of games. Many would rather have a rental league or regular leagues play. For example, on Sundays, the OCA usually uses only 2 sheets, yet nobody else (i.e. a regular league) is allowed to play at the same time so as not to "disturb" the competition.

Change is good, it won't hurt to shake things up a bit.

Old Post 01-13-14 01:58PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

" For example, on Sundays, the OCA usually uses only 2 sheets, yet nobody else (i.e. a regular league) is allowed to play at the same time so as not to "disturb" the competition."

that is usually the host club's decision, I have had both rental leagues and junior leagues on at the same time, the only stipulation being that they start at the same time as the games start so as not to disturb games that would already be in progress.

Old Post 01-13-14 02:12PM
Unregistered

I believe that Trevor Wall is now playing lead for Epping and David Mathers has moved to second

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.114.172.1

Old Post 01-13-14 03:13PM