Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Ontario Mixed Doubles Left to Random Chance Qualifying??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Ontario Mixed Doubles Left to Random Chance Qualifying??

Question...

I just read that for the new Mixed Doubles event, the OCA is having a provincial where the first 32 entries that simply sign up qualify. Why did the OCA choose to do this? Just curious more than anything what the thought process is behind it.

A concern: Entry #33

A bigger concern: Entry #33 being a top draw name.

An even bigger concern: Entry #32 being dropped quietly to allow Big Name Entry #33 to participate.

Any answers to my query would be most appreciated!

JH

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-12 05:01PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Good points J-Ho. So old boy and I enter as team #32, then Glen Howard and Sherri Middaugh enter as #33 - will the OCA try and boot out the club curlers or alienate the elites?

Just my opinion but this looks hastily thrown together. Why not have regional competitions first with the top 4 in each region moving on to a Provincial?

Old Post 11-29-12 09:32AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

Better get your entry in soon - 27 have signed up.

Old Post 11-29-12 12:13PM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

Mixed Doubles is a gimmick kind of curling and it sounds like this fits right in

Old Post 11-29-12 12:40PM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Bernard
Better get your entry in soon - 27 have signed up.

Hmm as cannon fodder - perhaps. It will be interesting to see who has entered once the list is posted!

Old Post 11-29-12 12:58PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Need a lady to step forward to give this a shot...Maybe I'll blog about it!

JH

Old Post 11-29-12 06:19PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Need a lady to step forward to give this a shot...Maybe I'll blog about it!

JH

Are you still looking/ A handsome man such as yourself should have all the lady curlers fighting for the opportunity!

Old Post 11-30-12 11:50AM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Are you still looking/ A handsome man such as yourself should have all the lady curlers fighting for the opportunity!

You made me blush CB. A gift of Pez pour vous

JH

Old Post 12-01-12 09:16AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Just what else would you expect from the OCA? Outside of the best at budget hiding money...there's not much they do that is smart. They are masters of the one car funeral backing up a one way street...the wrong way.

And why should they change...they still get the dues from every club and they still get the millions in grants from government ....

Just keep those cheques and cards coming!!!!! OH and if you want any help...that's extra!

Old Post 12-03-12 07:44PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

It would have be interesting to see how many teams each zone could have gotten if the went the traditional zone-region-provincial format. My zone has been a hotbed for traditional mixed the past few years and I don't think it would have been difficult for it to field at least 16 teams.

JH

Old Post 12-04-12 09:32AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Mixed is one of the few healthy events there is. Most zones have a healthy number of entries. I would have liked to see perhaps 4 regions with the top two or four in each heading to a provincial.

Old Post 12-04-12 10:23AM
Unregistered

From what I heard, the CCA didn't leave much time for each province to figure out a playdown structure, hence the one weekend playoff with 32 teams. I believe it will be done differently in the future.
Also, if you have a team like Sherry Middaugh/Glenn Howard signing up, they would get the bye to nationals based on their combined CTRS points.
Other provinces are having a hard time filling, probably due to lack of monetary support. But I imagine as soon as mixed doubles becomes an Olympic sport there will be huge interest.
I also heard that Balsdon isn't planning on accepting his entry to nationals.
It will be interesting to see what plays out!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.240.12.136

Old Post 12-04-12 10:54AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Does anyone know who is even entered in this event for ontario? The OCA has a wait list so they must know the teams that have recieved the first 32 spots.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.124.212.202

Old Post 12-04-12 02:19PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Most elite teams will enter via points, depending on who has an interest fitting this extra event in around the Scotties and Brier. Member Associations were given a date for the event and an entry deadline AFTER calendars for the year were finalized, Ontario runs more competitions than other associations and as such have no room for zones, regionals and then a provincial. Therefore you end up with a single playdown. Don't worry about the elite teams, the CCA has given them ample opportunity to enter.

Old Post 12-10-12 07:11AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Don't worry about the elite teams, the CCA has given them ample opportunity to enter. [/B][/QUOTE]

But me and my wife haven't heard anything!

JH

Old Post 12-10-12 01:27PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Don't worry about the elite teams, the CCA has given them ample opportunity to enter.

But me and my wife haven't heard anything!

JH [/B][/QUOTE]

The CCA hasn't contacted me or old boy with our start times either

Old Post 12-10-12 03:54PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I believe both of your entries are in the support event.

Old Post 12-10-12 04:35PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
I believe both of your entries are in the support event.

Can't wait!

JH

Old Post 12-10-12 10:35PM
mattpaul

quote:
Most elite teams will enter via points, depending on who has an interest fitting this extra event in around the Scotties and Brier. Member Associations were given a date for the event and an entry deadline AFTER calendars for the year were finalized, Ontario runs more competitions than other associations and as such have no room for zones, regionals and then a provincial. Therefore you end up with a single playdown. Don't worry about the elite teams, the CCA has given them ample opportunity to enter.

quote:

The "elite" teams better not get an automatic spot or this will be my one and only year playing. You must compare apples to apples. There are many front end players out there on the elite teams that are great overall players...but throwing last rock and calling a game are specific skills that require specific training. I am not saying that the front end spots do not require an amazing amount of skill that I do not and will never possess, I'm just saying that the skill set is different. This event, without getting into how ridiculous the two placed stones with the 1-3-1 rock throwing format is, could be a great avenue for players who have trouble finding 4 dedicated players. I agree with McEwen in that I don't like the game without a full team, but conversely there are many great players that cannot get 3 other players who are willing to put in the massive commitment required. If one player on a team isn't committed, you just cannot compete at the top level. I'd rather see the regular mixed be a part of the Olympics, but if it has to be this, do not GIVE spots for CTRS. Many of these players have not been tested on their abilities to call a game or throw last rock. There's a huge difference between knowing strategy and calling a game and although pressure exists at all positions throwing last brick is an entirely different animal as well. I am a big fan for CTRS spots for provincial berths in the Brier/Scotties playdowns. They have been earned....even more so than the playdown route in my estimation. But taking a player who possibly hasn't called a game or thrown last rock at any level and give them a bye to a national???? Not a chance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.245.252.230

Old Post 01-13-13 04:19PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I'm pretty sure that almost every player, no matter which position they play at the elite level ( such as Saville, Lange, kennedy , Hebert) all have experience skipping and throwing last rock.

Old Post 01-13-13 09:07PM
Prescott_Ian
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mattpaul

The "elite" teams better not get an automatic spot or this will be my one and only year playing. You must compare apples to apples. There are many front end players out there on the elite teams that are great overall players...but throwing last rock and calling a game are specific skills that require specific training. I am not saying that the front end spots do not require an amazing amount of skill that I do not and will never possess, I'm just saying that the skill set is different. This event, without getting into how ridiculous the two placed stones with the 1-3-1 rock throwing format is, could be a great avenue for players who have trouble finding 4 dedicated players. I agree with McEwen in that I don't like the game without a full team, but conversely there are many great players that cannot get 3 other players who are willing to put in the massive commitment required. If one player on a team isn't committed, you just cannot compete at the top level. I'd rather see the regular mixed be a part of the Olympics, but if it has to be this, do not GIVE spots for CTRS. Many of these players have not been tested on their abilities to call a game or throw last rock. There's a huge difference between knowing strategy and calling a game and although pressure exists at all positions throwing last brick is an entirely different animal as well. I am a big fan for CTRS spots for provincial berths in the Brier/Scotties playdowns. They have been earned....even more so than the playdown route in my estimation. But taking a player who possibly hasn't called a game or thrown last rock at any level and give them a bye to a national???? Not a chance.

I agree with Matt but not for the same reasons 1: this is a silly format curling is a game of 4 players I love mixed curling ( probably because my wife is better then me ) but this is not mixed curling
2: I'm of the believe that no national curling event should have teams given auto entries dont think its right in the hearts and hope it never happens at the brier but def should not happen at a new event
bring back national 4 person mixed !!!!!

Old Post 01-14-13 02:15PM
Prescott_Ian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prescott_Ian Click here to Send Prescott_Ian a Private Message Find more posts by Prescott_Ian Add Prescott_Ian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

By 2014 or 2015, there will be a Team Canada at the Brier, as well as Yukon, N.W.T. and Nunavut and relegation round playdowns. As for the mixed doubles vs the mixed, apparently mixed doubles is more popular outside of North America and favoured by the WCF. We will also soon see a Northrn Ontario entry at the Scotties.

Old Post 01-14-13 02:29PM
Prescott_Ian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ya i realize our friends over seas like this event but Curling is canada's game and I for one would hope what they do over there doesn't have to influence how we play the game here

Old Post 01-14-13 02:46PM
Prescott_Ian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prescott_Ian Click here to Send Prescott_Ian a Private Message Find more posts by Prescott_Ian Add Prescott_Ian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

it's all about gold medals and world championships and when it becomes an olympic sport you don't want to be behind.

Old Post 01-14-13 04:37PM
Prescott_Ian
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would hope that no mixed event ever becomes an olympic sport
the olympics are water down enough!

Old Post 01-14-13 04:58PM