Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Ontario Scotties
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
decade
Super Rockchucker

Congrats to Lilly for being the giant slayer this week!
Time for Sherry to hang up the broom?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-10-14 10:23PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

New faces

Great for Canadian Women's curling that some bright young stars are starting to break through

Flaxey for ON
Van Osch- BC

any other names ??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.91.143.24

Old Post 01-10-14 11:08PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Koltun from Yukon will represent NWT/YT at the Scotties this year. Sweeting looking good in Alberta too.

Old Post 01-10-14 11:35PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Congrats to Lilly for being the giant slayer this week!
Time for Sherry to hang up the broom?

I wouldn't be surprised if sherry retires soon. she's looked tired to me

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 01-11-14 07:57AM
Unregistered

jeezus.... what an ignorant post. of course they're tired..they've been going hard since August!!! you're entitled to post your completely uninformed opinions on whether Sherry will retire or when,, but you'd embarrass yourself slightly less if you weren't being offensive at the same time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.141.147.58

Old Post 01-11-14 09:48AM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
jeezus.... what an ignorant post. of course they're tired..they've been going hard since August!!! you're entitled to post your completely uninformed opinions on whether Sherry will retire or when,, but you'd embarrass yourself slightly less if you weren't being offensive at the same time.

I don't think the post was meant as offensive and ignorant. I've quite often watched curling and thought, after a week of difficult challenges, she/he looks really beat. Its very very difficult to run a household, have a career, raise children, have a social life and work your buns off at a sport you love. Regards

Old Post 01-11-14 11:03AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

long season

quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if sherry retires soon. she's looked tired to me

That Team has worked their buns off..and I imagine not finally getting to the Olympics was just a bit hard on Sherry.. it's been her and Wayne's dream for many years now

changing of the guard in many provinces now and that is good for the game

Old Post 01-11-14 11:16AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: long season

quote:

That Team has worked their buns off..and I imagine not finally getting to the Olympics was just a bit hard on Sherry.. it's been her and Wayne's dream for many years now

changing of the guard in many provinces now and that is good for the game

It is good but at the same time its sad seeing teams you have watched and grown up with leave the game. Sherry may very well continue for a while, who knows.

Old Post 01-11-14 11:24AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

I don't think the post was meant as offensive and ignorant. I've quite often watched curling and thought, after a week of difficult challenges, she/he looks really beat. Its very very difficult to run a household, have a career, raise children, have a social life and work your buns off at a sport you love. Regards

i'd imagine it is difficult. i've never walked in the shoes of an elite curler. i never know what to make of the fact that people post on here as though they know these curlers personally and know what and how they are feeling.

Old Post 01-11-14 11:25AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

i'd imagine it is difficult. i've never walked in the shoes of an elite curler. i never know what to make of the fact that people post on here as though they know these curlers personally and know what and how they are feeling.

I don't know..i don't think its acting like they know them its making an observation of what they observe.Could be totally wrong, who knows

she does look tired and I mean in general not just this season. Like someone else said itsd hard maintaining everything some of these curlers have too

again though its just my opinion, maybe im wrong and sherry has another 10 years in her

Last edited by misty1 on 01-11-14 at 12:01PM

Old Post 01-11-14 11:54AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

so what?

quote:

The fsct that people are even interested enough is a plus.

I, for one, have followed the Ontario scene - at the clubs - for many many years now.. so , yes, I have seen Sherry in person and know that she is a wonderful, caring person who has put her Heart and Soul into curling only to never quite cross the finish line..

Another point is that there is social media now and many curlers do interact with fans that way so there is a closer connection than the old days when you were lucky if CBC telecast a final

the posters who knock down curlers they have never met just because they beat their fave Team are the ones I cannot stand .. everyone knows who that poster is...

Old Post 01-11-14 12:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I personally hope sherry does stay around for a while longer , I love watching her curl

I think its safe to say another Olympic run is out of the question

Old Post 01-11-14 12:05PM
Unregistered

Overreaction

A person makes a comment that Middaugh looks tired & someone jumps all over it.

Ya, she looks tired so what. She is a professional curler that you don't hear making excuses but low and behold a fan makes a comment & some guest overreacts.

Next stop for the Middaugh train is the mixed curling bonspiels, unless the Olympics make mixed curling a sport too.

What happened to Horgan?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.209.61.22

Old Post 01-11-14 12:05PM
Unregistered

opening old wounds

since we are on the topic of fans thinking they know curlers.. dont ever forget in 2009 when someone from Manitoba started venomous posts about Cathy O
Someone who had NEVER ste foot ina curling rink or seen Cathy in person or gave the slightest amount of credit to her contribution to the many wins of Team Jones
Curling Zone allowed this trashing of a world-famous curler and it added to the upheaval when Cathy O was so terribly fired by the Team.. to her humiliation and hurt

so..bottom line people expressing concern for Sherry Middaugh's tired look.. who, by the way is approaching 48 years of age.. is mild in comparison

I had heard that both Wayne and Sherry Middaugh might step back a bit from the intense competitive scene..so we shall see

Old Post 01-11-14 12:11PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I don't know if Sherry is all plum tired out or not. She certainly looked strong at the Trials - until JJ smothered her out in the sudden death final.

She's probably connected to strong sponsorship which enables her to curl the cash circuit, travel quite a bit and be a major player come playdown time. I'd put my money on her going at least another year. If I could give a quick Brian Burke critique - she's weak at third, too indecisive at skip and isn't getting the maximum out of her front end.

The team I'd be really concerned about is Horgan. She really dropped a deuce on Soo ice this week.

Auld is just another roadkill team that occasionally shows her wares - but not often enough to be a major player.

Surprised Nimik is doing so well but then again she IS from Manitoba....!!!

Her name is now Flaxey. Please have tbe courtesy to use it.

Old Post 01-11-14 12:20PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so who does everyone favor to win now? I cant really decide, its completely open for me

If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick one id go with Flaxey but I think Lilly might be one to watch out for.

Old Post 01-11-14 12:32PM
Unregistered

either will be strong

It will be decided right on the ice..but what is truly stunning 8is that Sportsnet ONTARIO ( and ONE ) show BC, MB and AB but not one flicker of the ONTARIO playdonw.. what the???

Old Post 01-11-14 12:44PM
Unregistered

more Bison BS

quote:
Surprised Nimik is doing so well but then again she IS from Manitoba....!!!

and she had the sense to leave...

Old Post 01-11-14 12:47PM
jojo88
Knee-Slider

I think its going to be a Flaxey Reddick final in Ontario
Reddick for the win!

Old Post 01-11-14 12:53PM
jojo88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jojo88 Click here to Send jojo88 a Private Message Find more posts by jojo88 Add jojo88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

more Bison BS

quote:
No worries mate. A brief vacation in the land without electricity and she'll be called back by Kaitlyn Lawes!!!

Like Dawn Askin... who was the foundation of the Jones era..

Flaxey wont be leaving her new husband ( 2013) any time soon

Just do ONE thing "mate" ... keep Jones

Old Post 01-11-14 01:03PM
Unregistered

Re: Overreaction

quote:
A person makes a comment that Middaugh looks tired & someone jumps all over it.

Ya, she looks tired so what. She is a professional curler that you don't hear making excuses but low and behold a fan makes a comment & some guest overreacts.

Next stop for the Middaugh train is the mixed curling bonspiels, unless the Olympics make mixed curling a sport too.

yep. there is a real possibility that i may have over reacted..it just gets me going a bit when people on here make posts that sound like they actually know these curlers and what they are talking about. tell me this.... is your comment meant to be a complement that Sherry's next stop is mixed bonspiels,, or do you know her personally so are therefore making a factual statement?

Old Post 01-11-14 02:58PM
Unregistered

Again!!!

Who are u? Do u have all this pent up curling rage that u need to analyze every single word on this forum from these posters or are u in fact some relative of Sherry. ie mom? Middaugh is/was/were a good curler but not a great curler. She failed when the games mattered the most. ie semi-finals

& yes Bison Bob, Horgan did deuce out on this event.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.209.61.22

Old Post 01-11-14 03:56PM
Unregistered

more Bison BS

quote:
as long as you keep Blob Ford

nice one...

Old Post 01-11-14 04:09PM
Unregistered

yes.. sorry,. me again! but it stops here. i do want to clarify first, that i am not a relative of sherry's. in fact, i agree with your comment about her semi-final wall. i come into this forum a few times a year,, mostly at this time to check playdown scores. great job to the CZ peeps! each time it does amaze me to find so many whose posts sound like they believe they are somehow a part of the same circle of people they post about. i can't decide if it's more creepy or sad. either way, i promise to refrain from venturing into this strange, forum world. just not for me, i guess. scores only! peace out.

Old Post 01-11-14 04:15PM
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm thinking since Horgan just got back from China a few days prior to the playdowns, the team may not have recovered completely from the change in time zones. Better luck next year for them in the Northern Ontarios!

Old Post 01-11-14 04:16PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote