Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Ontario Tankard
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
decade
Super Rockchucker

Ontario Tankard

No surprises in the first draw unless you count Howard letting Dereulle take 4 in the second end.
I realize that without sponsors we would not be able to have
tv coverage but those rings are something else!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-06-12 06:49PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think the rings look great. Curling needs more colour.

Old Post 02-07-12 08:28AM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

I noticed the rings too. Cool design. I couldn't tell if it was on all the rings or just the centre sheet.

Old Post 02-07-12 08:54AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

Dominion is an amazing sponsor.

I've seen the rings in person and they look great.

On TV though they have the look of frost creeping up a window. I don't think the design is TV friendly.

Old Post 02-07-12 01:00PM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Balsdon must be worn out from all that club curling...already at 2 losses. Mike Anderson might be the dark horse here. Might be nice to see Howard challenged.

Old Post 02-07-12 04:19PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i thought we might see one of the young guns like kean or epping break through this year

now epping cant and i know its still early but kean is not looking good and in a position to go down to 2 losses already

its looking like ontario will go to form and howard will pull it out again

yawn

Old Post 02-07-12 04:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Really enjoyed Richard Hart's contribution to this afternoon's telecast. Hope they have him back soon!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.52.230.172

Old Post 02-07-12 05:06PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

i thought we might see one of the young guns like kean or epping break through this year

Isn't Mike Anderson a young team???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.26.173.244

Old Post 02-07-12 06:27PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Really enjoyed Richard Hart's contribution to this afternoon's telecast. Hope they have him back soon!

Absolutely agree with your comment. Not afraid to point out errors in sweeping etc and he knows exactly what will happen to the rocks, what the calls are etc Perhaps Al from Rogers learned a few things from working with Rich today.

Also too bad that the OCA still has not ditched its ridiculous rule about only having 4 sponsor logos on uniforms. If teams work hard to get sponsors, you wonder why the oca continues to block the cresting.

Old Post 02-07-12 09:58PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

I totally agree. Sponsorship is vital to these teams and any exposure should be encouraged. As for Richard Hart's commentary, it's great to hear him talk about calls or deliveries.

Old Post 02-07-12 10:48PM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

I agree with the two of you about the sponsorship rules. Now, only one more person can comment on this because that will be four!

JH

Old Post 02-07-12 11:44PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Yes the OCA needs to get current and realize that team sponsors can and do benefit their events, i.e. The Dominion. As the title sponsor of this year's Tankard I am sure they find it frustrating to see their logo potentially covered up on Howard's jerseys. The CCA is also guilty of this insanity. They take the sponsor/cresting rule to the extreme where the Dominion logo was not allowed on brooms even though Dominion is a Season of Champion sponsor. Never bite the hand that feeds you...
At Ont Scotties this year, because it was held in the North, there were no sanctions on cresting, so liberating.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.117.60.117

Old Post 02-08-12 09:10AM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by BMalc
I totally agree. Sponsorship is vital to these teams and any exposure should be encouraged. As for Richard Hart's commentary, it's great to hear him talk about calls or deliveries.

Wish there was a "like" button.

Old Post 02-08-12 09:27AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I noticed that Mark Kean's team is not listed on the OCA site (udner "scores) but is on Stratford's site...

Old Post 02-08-12 11:50AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:

I agree, really enjoyed his analaysis of the shots and strategy. Looks like Glen and his crew are rollin' right along.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-08-12 03:17PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Pretty good day so far for Howard, handshakes after 4 in both games. Eight ends and two wins, they should be really fresh for match against Corner.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.112.101.165

Old Post 02-08-12 03:51PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Pretty good day so far for Howard, handshakes after 4 in both games. Eight ends and two wins, they should be really fresh for match against Corner.

That is the best way to handle 3 games in one day! Although the late arrivals for the 9 am draw missed most of the game.

Old Post 02-08-12 03:58PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

That is the best way to handle 3 games in one day! Although the late arrivals for the 9 am draw missed most of the game.

Who was late and why? Too much fun in the hospitality suite? I guess some people just treat this like curling camp.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:04PM
Unregistered

why did gardner shake after 4 with glenn? he was only down 5-0

i get that thats not great against a team like him but its not like it was 10-0

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 02-08-12 04:09PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

I am sure that explains why Tuck and Gardner shook hands so early. No sense killing yourself for another 4 ends when likelihood of making a comeback is remote.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:12PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

I was just over at the Rogers TV website checking out the playoff broadcast times and noticed they have a few draws (draws 1-4) up on their site for viewing online.

http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?l...739&ref=tankard

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.52.230.172

Old Post 02-08-12 04:24PM
Unregistered

Anybody have an thoughts on why there have been so many bog ends.

Up to the end of the 5th draw there have been approx 20 three enders and eight 4 or 5 enders.

That being said, in the sixth draw there is only one 3 ender so far.

Old Post 02-08-12 04:26PM
Unregistered

quote:
Anybody have an thoughts on why there have been so many bog ends.

Up to the end of the 5th draw there have been approx 20 three enders and eight 4 or 5 enders.

That being said, in the sixth draw there is only one 3 ender so far.

It's not all because of Howard, he has 5 3enders and 3 4or 5enders

Old Post 02-08-12 04:33PM
Sean
Administrator

quote:
I was just over at the Rogers TV website checking out the playoff broadcast times and noticed they have a few draws (draws 1-4) up on their site for viewing online.

http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?l...739&ref=tankard

For Rogers customers only

Old Post 02-08-12 06:02PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

I am sure that explains why Tuck and Gardner shook hands so early. No sense killing yourself for another 4 ends when likelihood of making a comeback is remote.

Agreed. Sure, you're only down 4 or 5, and its only the 5th end. But that still means you need to make up 5 points in 6 ends.

First off, that's nearly impossible, especially against Glenn.

Secondly, you have to play really aggressive and work your team really hard for the rest of the game. That takes a lot of energy out of a team.

So at that point you throw everything at them hoping for a quick 3, and if you don't get it, you shake and conserve energy for a better chance at a W in your next game.

It's not unlikely they had a tough shot for 1 at best (or no shot at worst) and shook rather than throw it (and therefore no scores posted).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.199.35.74

Old Post 02-08-12 06:18PM