Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > Ontario Tankard
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
celtichound
Swing Artist

Does anyone know if there is online streaming of the Tankard?

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-12 08:25PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

no but as a previous poster mentioned Rogers has archives online if you are a subscriber.

Rough day for Howard today- 14 ends out of a possible 30. Surprised that even Corner could not give him a better game.
(only reason that game went 6 was because it wes being televised)

Old Post 02-08-12 10:36PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs down Go Glenn!

Could be only Mike Anderson giving Howard a tough time on his way to winning ON.
Liked the post-game comment that Glenn has a personal Trainer now ( 3 years ) and becuz of his better fitness he's finding this "marathon" a lot easier to take.

On the flip side could be fitness or lack thereof ( and old aches and pains) that slows down the Corner rink of retreads. Still some great curling but very grueling if you arent in good shape.

Bit of a cart before the horse but this could be one of the threesome to contend at the Brier.. with the big matchups between Middaugh,Morris and Mead ( 3M's hmm)

The Howard rink's looking good..staying consistent and not taking anyone for granted.

Old Post 02-09-12 06:40AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Go Glenn!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UpYerKilt
C

The Howard rink's looking good..staying consistent and not taking anyone for granted.

[/QUOTE

Agree completely- the interviewer said to Saville that this competition was only a speed bump to the Brier and to his credit he jumped all over that comment. He indicated that this was more than a speed bump and they take the Tankard very seriously!

Old Post 02-09-12 08:38AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackFlash
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
no but as a previous poster mentioned Rogers has archives online if you are a subscriber.

Rough day for Howard today- 14 ends out of a possible 30. Surprised that even Corner could not give him a better game.
(only reason that game went 6 was because it wes being televised)

Although I am 'watching' from a distance it sure seems like a group of amateurs are going up against a real pro! IMHO this team was re-tooled to do exactly what it is doing!
Is the ice slightly dished or are the rocks that aggressive? The line scores in a number of the games would suggest one of these scenarios!
As I said I am watching from a distance and so appreciating curlingzone blow by blow coverage! Thank you!

Old Post 02-09-12 11:34AM
JackFlash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JackFlash Find more posts by JackFlash Add JackFlash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Go Glenn!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UpYerKilt
C

[/QUOTE

Agree completely- the interviewer said to Saville that this competition was only a speed bump to the Brier and to his credit he jumped all over that comment. He indicated that this was more than a speed bump and they take the Tankard very seriously!

Agreed, Glen and the guys look to be in good shape. I also thought Corner would give him a better game, but they just missed too many shots. Nothing guaranteed of course, but they look well positioned to finish in 1st. Games left against Shane(2-4), Higgs(3-4)and Anderson(4-2). Anderson may be the toughest game of the 3 remaining. They're a young team and I don't know if any there is any history between them.
The interviewer was Leigh Armstrong who plays lead with Sherry Middaugh. She actually should've known it was a ridiculous question and that Craig would, as he correctly did, shoot it down. No need to say something that would upset or fire up your competition.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-09-12 11:52AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Growing Pains

well Leigh isn't a "trained" TV commentator so she and the other guys may not have all that diplomatic polish of ones we're used to.. but they love curling and not even sure if they are compensated for their work on Rogers.

One thing I'd like to add is that I loved Rich Hart on the mike.
His in depth analysis and pleasant fielding questions was a real education.
He really should look to do more on the Curling mike because he has current on-ice experience and a winning record that shows his thinking has cred.

Thanks to all the people who got this Dominion telecast..it really is much appreciated.. and here's hope it includes both genders next season.

Curling needs to keep growing!

Old Post 02-09-12 01:41PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

For the poor bastards that do not have Rogers, it leaves quite a bit to be desired, webcast would be much appreciated. We are a captive audience here in Kingston where your choices are either Cogeco or Bell Expressvu. I tried signing on with Rogers using my cell phone info but no luck.

Old Post 02-09-12 01:51PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
For the poor bastards that do not have Rogers, it leaves quite a bit to be desired, webcast would be much appreciated. We are a captive audience here in Kingston where your choices are either Cogeco or Bell Expressvu. I tried signing on with Rogers using my cell phone info but no luck.

It is being broadcast on COGECO as well, and if you were to turn it to the station now, you could watch curling in Kingston. COGECO and Rogers partner to broadcast the provincials each year, with the production being done by the group that has the cable rights in the host city.

I understand people being upset about no streaming, but for Rogers/Cogeco it's also a competitive advantage to only show it on television. If you want to watch the Tankard and other great curling, you should change to cable.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-09-12 03:34PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Re: Growing Pains

quote:
Originally posted by UpYerKilt
well Leigh isn't a "trained" TV commentator so she and the other guys may not have all that diplomatic polish of ones we're used to.. but they love curling and not even sure if they are compensated for their work on Rogers.

One thing I'd like to add is that I loved Rich Hart on the mike.
His in depth analysis and pleasant fielding questions was a real education.
He really should look to do more on the Curling mike because he has current on-ice experience and a winning record that shows his thinking has cred.

Thanks to all the people who got this Dominion telecast..it really is much appreciated.. and here's hope it includes both genders next season.

Curling needs to keep growing!

Granted, she may not be a trained commentator. I've seen her do a couple of other interviews that I thought were fine. I just thought that as a curler herself that she'd know better than to ask a question that would suggest that the Tankard was automatically Team Howards. Just sayin'.

I liked Richs' analysis as well.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-09-12 04:32PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up Great Point

for sure.. it does kinda sound like the other Teams are less than.. Maybe she will "get the pt" for any future comments like that..
cheers.

Old Post 02-09-12 04:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

sad part is she was right. This is basically the howard teams title for the taking.

randy ferbey said in his analysis of the laberta provincial that the other teams are going to need the 2 kevins to bring their B game to have any kind of shot and thats the same thing here

its not only boring but also kind of frustrating because we see these teams challenge glenn and kevin everywhere else and then they get here and their just not competitive.

when are the up and coming mens teams going to be able to step up like the ladies are and challenging the top guys?

Old Post 02-09-12 04:47PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

It is being broadcast on COGECO as well, and if you were to turn it to the station now, you could watch curling in Kingston. COGECO and Rogers partner to broadcast the provincials each year, with the production being done by the group that has the cable rights in the host city.

I understand people being upset about no streaming, but for Rogers/Cogeco it's also a competitive advantage to only show it on television. If you want to watch the Tankard and other great curling, you should change to cable.

Hmm fuzzy transmission and poor channel selection in exchange for watching Howard demolish the kneesliders in 4-5 ends. No thanks. Robbers indicated that "mobile" customers would be able to watch on line but that is not the case! A bit of false advertising. I will depend on the kindness of my frenemies to let me come and watch the finals at their house on Sunday.

Old Post 02-09-12 05:08PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
sad part is she was right. This is basically the howard teams title for the taking.

Maybe so,it's difficult to imagine him losing to this field. He's at this point guaranteed 1st place (only Corner can tie him and he lost to Glen). Howards team has played only 1 10 end game (Kean) and had a few really short ones. They've certainly pretty much have had their way. But....in a 1 game playoff.....

Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-09-12 05:16PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Deruelle, Anderson

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
when are the up and coming mens teams going to be able to step up like the ladies are and challenging the top guys?

when these up and coming Teams get more experience under their belts.. and besides..Howard, Corner, Middaugh, Cracks, etc..arent getting any younger

The real trouble is that these top 3-4 Teams in canada seem to be able to travel and compete whenever they want..

when do they get sponsors like P&G and WFG etc etc giving the young enough money so they can take their game up?
To me, the biggest problem is that everything in Canada is focused on these elite curlers...

Time to look at Youth and build them..not sit and wait until the kids either get sick of trying or step away from competitive events

Old Post 02-09-12 05:19PM
JackFlash
Swing Artist

Re: Deruelle, Anderson

quote:

when these up and coming Teams get more experience under their belts.. and besides..Howard, Corner, Middaugh, Cracks, etc..arent getting any younger

The real trouble is that these top 3-4 Teams in canada seem to be able to travel and compete whenever they want..

when do they get sponsors like P&G and WFG etc etc giving the young enough money so they can take their game up?
To me, the biggest problem is that everything in Canada is focused on these elite curlers...

Time to look at Youth and build them..not sit and wait until the kids either get sick of trying or step away from competitive events

I agree totally! There is going to come a time when Glenn and the gang hang it up and there is not much coming behind, especially in male curling in Ontario! What the heck are they doing differently in Northern Ontario? The future seems so much brighter up there!

Old Post 02-09-12 05:42PM
JackFlash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JackFlash Find more posts by JackFlash Add JackFlash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Deruelle, Anderson

quote:

Are sponsors business people who want to get their logo in peoples faces or are they altruistic do gooders who would throw sponsorship $ at a team that goes to a cashpiel and bombs out 3 games in a row. It is the old chicken and egg arguement. Do you get sponsorship $ because you are good or do
you become and elite curler because of being give $?

Old Post 02-09-12 10:20PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

good one!

Well M & M is putting money into Juniors..

Not sure what the sponsors answer is but I do wonder why P&G will put all that money into the Howard Team here in ON yet we hear that Team Homan had to take part-time jobs, go to school and also have time to keep their level of Curling at the Top.

Ask yourself why an American Financial Inst. like Capital One supports the elite curlers in the Canadian Slams..good but what about other curlers?

Sobeys ( Maritime Family company) is finally spreading out across Canada and put up their name on that fabulous Rec Center in Leduc which hosted the AB Scotties... yet we hear of the Maritime Teams who seem to really be struggling with enough money to travel to cash spiels and events which are required to get to a Top Level

It's all over the place..no rhyme or reason..no control ( except by some curling admins who say what cresting Teams can wear at certain events)

Its like The Cdn Curling scene is inventing itself as it goes along.

Last edited by UpYerKilt on 02-09-12 at 10:36PM

Old Post 02-09-12 10:33PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Deruelle, Anderson

quote:
Originally posted by JackFlash

I agree totally! There is going to come a time when Glenn and the gang hang it up and there is not much coming behind, especially in male curling in Ontario! What the heck are they doing differently in Northern Ontario? The future seems so much brighter up there!

Whats different up there is there's no Glenn Howard.

Team Howard may be one of the top 5 teams EVER in curling. How are you all forgetting that?

Look at how equal the rest of the field is in Ontario. It's the same in Northern Ontario, except that there's no runaway favourite like Glenn (don't say Jacobs - see how last year's final ended, and look at the standings this year).

There are a solid handful of teams at the Ont provs right now who would do very well at the Brier. We've already seen Corner do well there.

But I guess you wanna talk young teams. So OK, lets do that.

You've got great young teams right now in Deruelle and Anderson challenging for playoff spots. That seems pretty promising, and I'm sure not many outside avid followers or participants of OCT evens know those guys. And Mark Kean's rink is pretty solid as well, they've been to a few Grand Slam events.

Looking around the rest of the tournament - there's not that many "older" front ends out there. In fact, other than Team Cochrane, pretty much every team there has at least a few young players.

And finally although they crashed out in playdowns, Team Epping made a Grand Slam final this year (guess who he lost to - my first point exactly). He's what, 27 (?), and his front end have a combined age of like 40. How is that less promising for the future than whats happening anywhere else?

Give your heads a shake everyone. There's plenty of great, promising, young teams in Ontario. They just aren't quite there yet. You can't forget how good Glenn and their team are, and you have to realize that you don't breakthrough overnight.

These days you have to do it like McEwen - no young team has worked harder at it, and it took them quite a few years to get to the top. Oh and guess what - they've still never been to a Brier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.199.35.74

Old Post 02-10-12 09:36AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

It's a doubled edged sword as to why there is such a separation amongst the teams.
1. Putting the young teams on the ice against Howard is akin to playing the Masters vs Tiger. With such pristine conditions and greens that are difficult to navigate, the young curlers are challenged to both get comfortable in that environment and learn how to throw the rock on arena ice.
2. Funding - Howard's team has qualified for significant Sport Canada funding and that combined with their corporate funding allows them to travel to all the elite events and compete against the best week in and week out. This has put Canada in an extremely strong position internationally to compete for medals in the Olympics but what it has done has driven a wedge to further distance the top teams from the regular tour guys. Consequently, some of these teams are made to look like local club curlers against Howard.
The trickle down has been, IMO, that great events like the Ottawa spiel to fall away. Everyone has become to dam serious trying to catch up and the game is losing some spirit. Gone are the days of someone trying to be king of the parties and then king of the ice the next day.
The problem is coaches and trainers are trying to teach this wealth of knowledge to the up and comers and the bottom line is they have to find a way and go out and take their lumps and learn by competing week in and week out. It aint cheap, and it takes a lot of time, but no classroom discussion replaces the act of competing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.13.224.50

Old Post 02-10-12 10:11AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Thumbs up well said

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Whats different up there is there's no Glenn Howard.

Team Howard may be one of the top 5 teams EVER in curling. How are you all forgetting that?

Look at how equal the rest of the field is in Ontario. It's the same in Northern Ontario, except that there's no runaway favourite like Glenn (don't say Jacobs - see how last year's final ended, and look at the standings this year).

There are a solid handful of teams at the Ont provs right now who would do very well at the Brier. We've already seen Corner do well there.

But I guess you wanna talk young teams. So OK, lets do that.

You've got great young teams right now in Deruelle and Anderson challenging for playoff spots. That seems pretty promising, and I'm sure not many outside avid followers or participants of OCT evens know those guys. And Mark Kean's rink is pretty solid as well, they've been to a few Grand Slam events.

Looking around the rest of the tournament - there's not that many "older" front ends out there. In fact, other than Team Cochrane, pretty much every team there has at least a few young players.

And finally although they crashed out in playdowns, Team Epping made a Grand Slam final this year (guess who he lost to - my first point exactly). He's what, 27 (?), and his front end have a combined age of like 40. How is that less promising for the future than whats happening anywhere else?

Give your heads a shake everyone. There's plenty of great, promising, young teams in Ontario. They just aren't quite there yet. You can't forget how good Glenn and their team are, and you have to realize that you don't breakthrough overnight.

These days you have to do it like McEwen - no young team has worked harder at it, and it took them quite a few years to get to the top. Oh and guess what - they've still never been to a Brier.

I had pretty much the same observations. Normally I wouldn't have had the opportunity to watch as much of the Tankard as I have. But it's been a nice opportunity to see some good young teams.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-10-12 10:46AM
Unregistered

Good to see Balsdon at 3-5. Perhaps now he will do the correct thing and pick either men's or men's club and not both. Karma is a good thing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.222.15.178

Old Post 02-10-12 11:45AM
JackFlash
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
It's a doubled edged sword as to why there is such a separation amongst the teams.
1. Putting the young teams on the ice against Howard is akin to playing the Masters vs Tiger. With such pristine conditions and greens that are difficult to navigate, the young curlers are challenged to both get comfortable in that environment and learn how to throw the rock on arena ice.
2. Funding - Howard's team has qualified for significant Sport Canada funding and that combined with their corporate funding allows them to travel to all the elite events and compete against the best week in and week out. This has put Canada in an extremely strong position internationally to compete for medals in the Olympics but what it has done has driven a wedge to further distance the top teams from the regular tour guys. Consequently, some of these teams are made to look like local club curlers against Howard.
The trickle down has been, IMO, that great events like the Ottawa spiel to fall away. Everyone has become to dam serious trying to catch up and the game is losing some spirit. Gone are the days of someone trying to be king of the parties and then king of the ice the next day.
The problem is coaches and trainers are trying to teach this wealth of knowledge to the up and comers and the bottom line is they have to find a way and go out and take their lumps and learn by competing week in and week out. It aint cheap, and it takes a lot of time, but no classroom discussion replaces the act of competing.

Well put! May I also add that perhaps the common practice , in the past, of helicoptering players and teams into small clubs for no other reason than to get soft zone competition is starting to not pay dividends! I really believe teams need to be sponsored with adequate coaching and managing that they can practice together and play together, in top ranked bonspiels, on a weekly basis IF they are ever to compete with the Howard's, Stoughtons and Martins of this country! Maybe high performance camps in this province need to be extended to dissemination of year round expertise and support! Maybe it's time for the OCA to show some leadership!

Old Post 02-10-12 01:07PM
Unregistered

Curling conflicts resolved on channel 470

Over the weekend some Rogers TV stations will have conflicts with Ontario Hockey League and Toronto Marlies' broadcasts.. Typically hockey airs live while curling is tape delayed to immediately following the live hockey game.

In an effott to keep hockey and curling fans happy Rogers Digital Cable customers will be able to watch draws that are scheduled as tape delayed LIVE on channel 470.... you will need a digital box from Rogers but the service is free and does not require a subscription during the curling... For several markets this will be important tonight...

So tune to your community channel, if no curling is there but you know they are playing in Stratford then tune to channel 470...

This will help with conflicts over the weekend...

Thanks....

We are checking on where Cogeco will have the draws...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.236.189.233

Old Post 02-10-12 02:05PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Wink commentators

Maybe I was too easy on Leigh earlier.....did I just hear her say that the Corner team has won 12 Ontario titles together? Not the first cringe worthy comment I've heard this week.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 02-10-12 02:13PM