Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Region 2 Trivia:
Of the 8 skips, how many have played in a Brier and who are they? Pez to the winners!

JH

The only obvious one is Corner but you mentioned plural skips? You must know something I dont.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-12 01:58PM
RyanRowe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RyanRowe Click here to Send RyanRowe a Private Message Find more posts by RyanRowe Add RyanRowe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

howard rajala was at a brier once was he not?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 12-10-12 02:01PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here's my early predictions for regions:
1 - Balsdon
- Cochrane/Gardner
2 - Epping
- Corner
3 - Rumfeldt
- Frans
4 - Tuck
- Higgs

That leaves alot of good teams out of the mix (Kean, Haggestad, Deruelle, Rajala, Hutchinson etc)

However there is usually 1 maybe 2 teams that do the unexpected and upset one of the favourites. I'll give the long odds to Pat Ferris in Region 4 and Bryce Rowe in Region 1 (homer pick!)

Old Post 12-10-12 02:14PM
RyanRowe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RyanRowe Click here to Send RyanRowe a Private Message Find more posts by RyanRowe Add RyanRowe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
howard rajala was at a brier once was he not?

He was with Rich Moffat in 99, but he's Region 1.

Old Post 12-10-12 02:17PM
keaner

Peter Corner & Malcolm Florence

They actually competed against each other in Hamilton at the 1991 Labatt Tankard.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.206.151.130

Old Post 12-10-12 02:37PM
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by keaner

They actually competed against each other in Hamilton at the 1991 Labatt Tankard.

Well done! YK/NWT curlers get hidden amongst the rest. I never would've known that.

Old Post 12-10-12 02:43PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:

JH

Old Post 12-10-12 03:04PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

That explains the way Malcolm played this weekend. He was channelling 1991, lol.
;-(

Old Post 12-11-12 09:05AM
CoachBrewer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CoachBrewer Click here to Send CoachBrewer a Private Message Find more posts by CoachBrewer Add CoachBrewer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CoachBrewer

That explains the way Malcolm played this weekend. He was channelling 1991, lol.
;-(

He certainly had very little go wrong for him! His team played really well also.

JH

Old Post 12-12-12 09:47PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Rumfeldt 1996

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.254.150.124

Old Post 12-13-12 07:42PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Rumfeldt 1996

Good catch, but the question was for skips in Region 2. He's in 3. Have some Pez anyway!

JH

Old Post 12-14-12 07:28PM
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:
Originally posted by CoachBrewer

I've stressed about this decline for years. I too remember the huge club playdowns which then generated more interest in the zone playdowns at the club level. Not sure I agree, but everyone tells me we can't get that back...
As you've pointed out, there are some real inequities in the entries by zone. Two teams have to survive a zone of 13, others a zone of only 4 teams.
Instead, what about a 3KO regional, held over two weekends? None of the regions have over 32 teams at this point. It's a simple matter to qualify 8 of 32 (or less) the first weekend. Very similar to now in that it still takes two weekends but much more equitable.
And I know someone is going to talk about additional travel, but it's equally ridiculous now. Zones 1 and 2 are already being played in the same place, and many teams are already parachuting into other regions (see zone 4 (Loonie), or do all you guys actually live in Elgin, lol?)

PS. Yes, I get the irony that I'm not playing in the region I live in, either... but it speaks to the point I'm making doesn't it?

What about having fewer zones in the regions? Two zones per region makes the entries more equitable on a per zone basis.

Old Post 12-20-12 03:32PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

What about having fewer zones in the regions? Two zones per region makes the entries more equitable on a per zone basis.

How about 9 zones in 3 regions, and run triples? That'll get you 9 teams at provincials, keep the challenge round as is, and defending champion makes it a 12 team provincial.

Old Post 12-20-12 03:56PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2012/13 Ontario Tankard Playdowns

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

How about 9 zones in 3 regions, and run triples? That'll get you 9 teams at provincials, keep the challenge round as is, and defending champion makes it a 12 team provincial.

Sounds interesting! I suppose you would need to secure two or more clubs to achieve this? Would you still want the event to start on the Friday evening/Saturday morning?

JH

Old Post 12-21-12 01:57PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

a twelve team provincial adds so many more games to the event.

Old Post 12-21-12 03:16PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Regionals are pretty much done

Region 1

A winner - Bryan Cochrane

B Winner -

final going on between Rajala and Rowe.

Region 2

A winner - John Epping

B winner -

final going on between Peter Corner and Darryl Prebble

kind of surprised Mark Kean isnt in the mix..actually i am really surprised

Region 3

A winner - Rob Rumfeldt

B winner -

final in progress between Cory Heggestad and Dayna Deruelle

Region 4

A winner - Wayne Tuck Jr.

B winner -

final in progress between pat ferris and jake higgs

Old Post 01-06-13 03:54PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by RyanRowe
Here's my early predictions for regions:
1 - Balsdon
- Cochrane/Gardner
2 - Epping
- Corner
3 - Rumfeldt
- Frans
4 - Tuck
- Higgs

That leaves alot of good teams out of the mix (Kean, Haggestad, Deruelle, Rajala, Hutchinson etc)

However there is usually 1 maybe 2 teams that do the unexpected and upset one of the favourites. I'll give the long odds to Pat Ferris in Region 4 and Bryce Rowe in Region 1 (homer pick!)

you were pretty damn close to nailing them dead on

Old Post 01-06-13 03:56PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Regionals are pretty much done

Region 1

A winner - Bryan Cochrane

B Winner -

final going on between Rajala and Rowe.

Region 2

A winner - John Epping

B winner -

final going on between Peter Corner and Darryl Prebble

kind of surprised Mark Kean isnt in the mix..actually i am really surprised

Region 3

A winner - Rob Rumfeldt

B winner -

final in progress between Cory Heggestad and Dayna Deruelle

Region 4

A winner - Wayne Tuck Jr.

B winner -

final in progress between pat ferris and jake higgs

Kean has had a great season but he lost to the wily veteran Corner who always seems to play his best come playoff time.

Old Post 01-06-13 04:38PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Kean has had a great season but he lost to the wily veteran Corner who always seems to play his best come playoff time.

Looking at the score, looks like Prebble is wilier.

Old Post 01-06-13 07:27PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Sherry middaugh just reeled off 6 games in a row in the B division to qualify for provincials. Massive escape for her though against nimik.

so really nothing unexpected out of the west with homan and middaugh getting through

Old Post 01-06-13 08:38PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Sherry middaugh just reeled off 6 games in a row in the B division to qualify for provincials. Massive escape for her though against nimik.

so really nothing unexpected out of the west with homan and middaugh getting through

If you can't be good, you may as well be lucky

Old Post 01-06-13 09:10PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

good for Sherry! she is so talented and a great person. ditto for rizzo. it would be great to see Rizzo get to a Scotties. however,the reality is that Homan is Ontario's future. would be good for her to get back to nationals - the experience will serve her well in preparation of being Canada's rep in Sochi!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.141.149.163

Old Post 01-06-13 09:20PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

If you can't be good, you may as well be lucky

Id say it was a combination of both to score 3 twice in 8 and 10

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.163.53.10

Old Post 01-07-13 11:20AM
RyanRowe
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

you were pretty damn close to nailing them dead on

Ya I was really close! I wish I was right on Region 1. I play on on the Rowe team and would have really loved another win. Rajala played well and deserved it. The only team that got through that I didnt predict was Prebble. Pretty happy for Darryl and the boys on their first tankard! What a difficult region to win in as well.

Old Post 01-09-13 11:00AM
Unregistered

Any chance of streaming the CR Gerry?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.63.181

Old Post 01-09-13 04:31PM