Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > OCA Intermediates
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

OCA Intermediates

In the OCA Tankards thread, I proposed replacing the existing zone structure with a 32 Team Regional TKO Bonspiel Playdown, split over two clubs the first weekend and then a single club to generate the teams for provincials, seeding the teams regionally according to the OCT Money List. Anyway, the details are all on that thread.
One of the primary purposes would be to eliminate the crazy zone disparities where some zones have four teams for two spots and others 13 teams for two spots.
To their credit, the OCA is trying a new system to address the disparities in Intermediates. Unfortunately, I think this is worse:
In one zone three teams will play for one spot, and in another zone four teams will play for three spots...
The Regional TKO Bonspiel format would work even better for Intermediates than Tankards...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-12 09:49AM
CoachBrewer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CoachBrewer Click here to Send CoachBrewer a Private Message Find more posts by CoachBrewer Add CoachBrewer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Re: OCA Intermediates

quote:
Originally posted by CoachBrewer
In the OCA Tankards thread, I proposed replacing the existing zone structure with a 32 Team Regional TKO Bonspiel Playdown, split over two clubs the first weekend and then a single club to generate the teams for provincials, seeding the teams regionally according to the OCT Money List. Anyway, the details are all on that thread.
One of the primary purposes would be to eliminate the crazy zone disparities where some zones have four teams for two spots and others 13 teams for two spots.
To their credit, the OCA is trying a new system to address the disparities in Intermediates. Unfortunately, I think this is worse:
In one zone three teams will play for one spot, and in another zone four teams will play for three spots...
The Regional TKO Bonspiel format would work even better for Intermediates than Tankards...

I missed that Coach! I thought the new paramaters around the weighted zone system addressed stuff like that. Apparently not!

The 32 TKO format seems like a good compromise to me. (I read it on the other thread). If numbers ever increase, we could always go back to the zone playdowns.

JH

Old Post 12-19-12 11:41AM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Canada Curler
Knee-Slider

I would agree with that idea as well. Looking at Zone 15, Armstrong (reigning champ) and Rizzo (always a tough team) are playing for 1 spot.

I'm sure the timing of this year's zone for most zones impacted a lot of the entries (I know a couple of teams who didn't want to play the weekend before x-mas and I'm sure there are more)

Old Post 12-20-12 09:43AM
Canada Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Canada Curler Click here to Send Canada Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Canada Curler Add Canada Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Canada Curler
Knee-Slider

They should also look at playing Men's and Women's on different weekends. My wife and I would both like to go in to events like Intermediates, but we need someone to stay home with the kids.

I understand why they can't do that with the current model (they would need clubs for 2 different weekends rather than just 1). Perhaps if they look at going the region triple KO idea, that might happen.

Old Post 12-20-12 09:53AM
Canada Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Canada Curler Click here to Send Canada Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Canada Curler Add Canada Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Re: OCA Intermediates

quote:
In the OCA Tankards thread, I proposed replacing the existing zone structure with a 32 Team Regional TKO Bonspiel Playdown, split over two clubs the first weekend and then a single club to generate the teams for provincials, seeding the teams regionally according to the OCT Money List.

So if you don't play on the OCT you are at the bottom of the list. That does not seem fair. I'd rather see a random draw over seeding in this case.

Is there much disparity in total playdown entries by region now?

Old Post 12-20-12 12:31PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

the way the weighted zones are figured out is in the rule suppliment. This allows zones with a higher percentage of total entries in the region more teams into the regional playdowns. Why should a zone with only two entries get the same number of advancing teams as a zone with nine teams? As an Example, Region 4 has 17 teams entered with over half, nine of the entries, in zone 13. The logic is to give half of the regional spaces to the zone with over half of the total teams.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 12-20-12 at 04:33PM

Old Post 12-20-12 04:29PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
the way the weighted zones are figured out is in the rule suppliment. This allows zones with a higher percentage of total entries in the region more teams into the regional playdowns. Why should a zone with only two entries get the same number of advancing teams as a zone with nine teams? As an Example, Region 4 has 17 teams entered with over half, nine of the entries, in zone 13. The logic is to give half of the regional spaces to the zone with over half of the total teams.

I understand the weighting system as outlined and, as I mentioned in the original post, applaud the OCA for their efforts in this regard. However, in zone 4 (four entries)- one will qualify; in zone 16 (four entries) - two will qualify; in zone 12 (four entries) - THREE Qualifiers!. I'm not sure this system really makes the system as equitable as a Regional 3KO format would.
And, again, the benefits of a 3KO format would include: 'a bonspiel feel' for the host club and the participating teams, 3 game guarantee, more teams, more revenue for the hosts, etc...

As for the question of why a zone of only 2 teams should get two entries to regionals, the better question might be "why are we running a zone competition that only gets two entries rather than an open regional bonspiel?"

Old Post 12-20-12 07:24PM
CoachBrewer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CoachBrewer Click here to Send CoachBrewer a Private Message Find more posts by CoachBrewer Add CoachBrewer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

I understand the weighting system as outlined and, as I mentioned in the original post, applaud the OCA for their efforts in this regard. However, in zone 4 (four entries)- one will qualify; in zone 16 (four entries) - two will qualify; in zone 12 (four entries) - THREE Qualifiers!. I'm not sure this system really makes the system as equitable as a Regional 3KO format would.
And, again, the benefits of a 3KO format would include: 'a bonspiel feel' for the host club and the participating teams, 3 game guarantee, more teams, more revenue for the hosts, etc...

As for the question of why a zone of only 2 teams should get two entries to regionals, the better question might be "why are we running a zone competition that only gets two entries rather than an open regional bonspiel?"

The Three Zones you have given are in three different Regions. You could end up with the same arguement for the open regional concept, ie one region with 16 entries, another with 8 playing for the same number of spots.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.54.106.21

Old Post 12-21-12 10:13AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoachBrewer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

The Three Zones you have given are in three different Regions. You could end up with the same arguement for the open regional concept, ie one region with 16 entries, another with 8 playing for the same number of spots.

It's a great point. But the regional disparities are far less than the zone disparities.

A couple of years ago, I suggested that the OCA accept all of the entries into a competition as a whole and then apportion the teams into groups of 16 at various locations across the province.

Old Post 12-21-12 11:31AM
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

A couple of years ago, I suggested that the OCA accept all of the entries into a competition as a whole and then apportion the teams into groups of 16 at various locations across the province.

That's the fairest way to do it.

Old Post 12-21-12 11:40AM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
simon
Harvey Hacksmasher

Zone 13 Intermediate Zones Results:

Women:

A - Candace Coe
B - Nancy Harrison

Men:

A- Rick Thurston
B- Mike Mann
C- Simon Ouellet
D- Chris Hughes

Old Post 12-24-12 08:05AM
simon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for simon Click here to Send simon a Private Message Find more posts by simon Add simon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote