Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

Really good victory for Germany over Denmark

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-17-12 06:50PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

The German team could cause some surprises and headaches for some of the favorites. Denmark is one of the best young team out there. I think Andrea's ghost is around, she is not so easy to get rid of;-)

Congrats to Melanie and the entire team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 109.130.117.73

Old Post 03-17-12 07:00PM
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The German team could cause some surprises and headaches for some of the favorites. Denmark is one of the best young team out there. I think Andrea's ghost is around, she is not so easy to get rid of;-)

Congrats to Melanie and the entire team.

Was not impressed with GER... decent women's team that may or may not make the provincials in most provinces. If I was Mel, I would stay in Europe. Thought DEN played well and they are quite good for a young team... won't win the thing but should hang in most games.

Watched the Czech's, as they have really surprised me at all levels, men, women and juniors. Good back end but real weak front when they are forced to takeouts... third is prob best player on team, but the skip throws real good without too much pressure. Korea couldn't make the shots when they had to and seemed to struggle every end... they looked good enough to win some games though.

Scotland and Rus was great game... very defensive most of the way and each team took advantage of the rare offensive moves. Eve made the shots when she had to and she's throwing very good for the first game. Rus 2nd and 3rd struggled some in the late ends and they got behind and didn't have quite enough for a winning comeback.

Not sure what to say about Sweden, look a little out of shape and rusty but they had a good finish and won... really can't see how they won to get here... so maybe they will show more as the week goes on. Italy looked pretty hyper and like they were a team just happy to be here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-12 07:19PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pontchartrain
Swing Artist

If you haven't read the 1st issue of the competition's e-mag, the "Eye Opener" you should. Lots of good articles including their thoughts on which team will do what and the experience factors. Same format as for the Scotties and Brier.

Average age of the teams, and the skips is 28. Heather is a "veteran". Her words.

Average age of Scotland is just under 22, not including alternate Kelly Wood. She's 30. Counting Kelly, it's just under 24. Otherwise, Claire is the old timer at 23. Anna who turned 21 last month is the youngster.

Andrea crashed skiing. Not only broke her tibia, but suffered ligament damage to her knee. Might be back on the ice by November.

Interesting interview with Eve in which she said she loved Canada and wished she could move there.

Wonder how that will play back in Scotland.

The game against Russia looked to be her kind of game. Lots of pressure and need to make the big shot.

Czechs came through.

Old Post 03-17-12 08:17PM
pontchartrain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pontchartrain Click here to Send pontchartrain a Private Message Find more posts by pontchartrain Add pontchartrain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pontchartrain
Swing Artist

re: gameon

You are aware of the circumstances surrounding the German team I hope. Take any team in Canada, men's or women's, subtract the skip literally at the last minute (not even going to be available to attend, at least for the first few days, if at all), scramble to find a new skip that is acceptable to the rest of the team, and then immediately be thrust into the World Championship.

What fun.

Old Post 03-17-12 08:25PM
pontchartrain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pontchartrain Click here to Send pontchartrain a Private Message Find more posts by pontchartrain Add pontchartrain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by gameon

Was not impressed with GER... decent women's team that may or may not make the provincials in most provinces. If I was Mel, I would stay in Europe. Thought DEN played well and they are quite good for a young team... won't win the thing but should hang in most games.

Watched the Czech's, as they have really surprised me at all levels, men, women and juniors. Good back end but real weak front when they are forced to takeouts... third is prob best player on team, but the skip throws real good without too much pressure. Korea couldn't make the shots when they had to and seemed to struggle every end... they looked good enough to win some games though.

Scotland and Rus was great game... very defensive most of the way and each team took advantage of the rare offensive moves. Eve made the shots when she had to and she's throwing very good for the first game. Rus 2nd and 3rd struggled some in the late ends and they got behind and didn't have quite enough for a winning comeback.

Not sure what to say about Sweden, look a little out of shape and rusty but they had a good finish and won... really can't see how they won to get here... so maybe they will show more as the week goes on. Italy looked pretty hyper and like they were a team just happy to be here.

I think the German team did very well under the circumstances. They outplayed one of the best young teams around

Old Post 03-17-12 08:26PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Wow...

Not sure if anyone else noticed the Team photos but The Flowers have gone a major makeover...

Skip: Bingyu Wang
Vice: Yan Zhou
2nd: Jinli Liu
Lead: Yue Sun
5th: Qingshaung Yue

I along with many others in the Motherland are shocked with this change. Zhou played Vice a long time ago but never thought I would see her play the back end at a tourney let alone the WWCCs.

I wonder if Qingshaung is...

-injured
-a coach/(es) decision to move her to 5th
-has team chemistry issues with Bingyu

Well time will tell and their first match against the Swiss should determine if this team has some issues.

Old Post 03-17-12 08:48PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I was shocked myself. I do not think this type of move is the one you want to make this soon before a world championship. If this is the lineup that they had a couple weeks ago it does not inspire confidence.

Old Post 03-17-12 08:50PM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I was shocked myself. I do not think this type of move is the one you want to make this soon before a world championship. If this is the lineup that they had a couple weeks ago it does not inspire confidence.

According to curlcast, the Flowers scored 31 out of 32 points in the first end... Jury's still out regarding Susan's benching. They forced/rock stuck for 1 for Miriam...

BTW, I don't take stock about their results at the Prairie Showdown. I suspect the Hambleins saw something that precipated this sudden change when the Flowers were with them in Morris and at the Grand Prairie tourney.

Old Post 03-17-12 09:22PM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Canada getting out played at every position so far in this game

Old Post 03-17-12 10:05PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Any webcast us Americans can get?

Old Post 03-17-12 10:08PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Heather can't make her last rock to save her life right now...
She's really only made one and that was the 2nd end when they stole a point.

Old Post 03-17-12 10:40PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Saying that, Allison throws her draw against 3 through the eight-foot.
8-4 Canada

Old Post 03-17-12 11:13PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

That is a shame, this was a good game up until that point.

I am getting tired of Vick though. He is pretty annoying in his comments

Old Post 03-17-12 11:15PM
valkyrie svy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for valkyrie svy Click here to Send valkyrie svy a Private Message Find more posts by valkyrie svy Add valkyrie svy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dunno
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watching the game on tsn and noticed the CAN 3rd wearing a fashion watch not a sports watch.. Do curlers usually wear watches? I know they use stop watches to time rocks... Don't usually see athletes wearing watches. Weird just for looks I guess.

Old Post 03-17-12 11:43PM
Dunno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dunno Find more posts by Dunno Add Dunno to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Curl Cast and Curling.ca scores

Seems to be hung up...

Can anyone give an update for China v. Switzerland.

Last time I saw it was Switzerland 6 China 5...

Old Post 03-18-12 12:00AM
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

No idea by Korea scored 3 in the last end to beat Sweden 9-8

Old Post 03-18-12 12:04AM
Unregistered

anything at all about Switzerland v.s China and Italy v.s Czech republic?

Old Post 03-18-12 12:09AM
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Thanks TSN for signing off right when the Canada game was finished!! Would have loved to see how Korea/Sweden ended and what that massive cheer was for

Old Post 03-18-12 12:18AM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

you're not alone

I have 10 people in the Motherland asking me for an update about China v. Switzerland.

Wish I was there to at least give a social media update on this game...

Old Post 03-18-12 12:21AM
Unregistered

This is rediculous. What did they forget about the other two games?

Old Post 03-18-12 12:22AM
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Finally!

Czech Republic def. Italy 8-5
Switzerland def. China 7-5

Old Post 03-18-12 12:42AM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
valkyrie svy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Final scores:

Czech Republic 8 Italy 5

Switzerland 7 China 5

Old Post 03-18-12 12:42AM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Day 1

Czech Republic 2 and 0

South Korea 1 and 1

Based on my post they're 3 of the 4 wins between Italy, Korea and the Czech Rep.

Hate to say this but it's already must win for the Flowers.

Old Post 03-18-12 12:50AM
Unregistered

I was in the arena to watch the last shot played by Korea. It was an incredible shot for three and the crowd went nuts. It was nice to see the Korean team so excited. Too bad TSN didn`t show this great ending.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.65.145.17

Old Post 03-18-12 01:04AM