Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pontchartrain
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
i actually thought she had retired from curling all together

No, she just curled on the 17th in a Battle of the Brooms skin game as the skip for the women's side.

She's been curling at the international level since she was a junior. She's only 30. Little young to retire from curling I would think.

Mark

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-25-12 09:11PM
pontchartrain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pontchartrain Click here to Send pontchartrain a Private Message Find more posts by pontchartrain Add pontchartrain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by pontchartrain

No, she just curled on the 17th in a Battle of the Brooms skin game as the skip for the women's side.

She's been curling at the international level since she was a junior. She's only 30. Little young to retire from curling I would think.

Mark

no , i know i just didnt see her pop up anywhere on tour and i only have this site to follow event scores so if this site isnt providing scoring im lost

Old Post 02-25-12 09:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Switzerland's Mirjam Ott

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i am not trying to say she's not a very good curler. In my mind she's easily one of the best to get to worlds that has never won
i was just thrown by your saying she almost always podiums because i thought we were speaking specifically about the world championships

no big deal.. I learn a TON from you and really enjoy your tenacity in making your points..
One thing is for sure.. she never really got close with Binia at third for her.. Carmen has been the difference..
I honestly think Mirjam's best days are behind her and it's just a matter of time until the next woman takes the Top spot.. I really thought it might be Jaeggi this year..

Old Post 02-25-12 10:09PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Scotland FTW.

Old Post 02-25-12 10:55PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pontchartrain
Swing Artist

quote:

no , i know i just didnt see her pop up anywhere on tour and i only have this site to follow event scores so if this site isnt providing scoring im lost

I don't think she played on the tour.

No idea what her long-range plans are, but going to Lethbridge as Eve's 5th is "interesting, very interesting". I wonder whose idea it was.

Very late edit. It is especially interesting considering the problems the Scottish women ran into last year when Eve was the 5th. She ended up playing Third once (IIRC) and Lead twice (IIRC). Playing Lead was probably the warmest she has been on the ice in years.

Mark

Last edited by pontchartrain on 02-26-12 at 02:09AM

Old Post 02-25-12 11:17PM
pontchartrain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pontchartrain Click here to Send pontchartrain a Private Message Find more posts by pontchartrain Add pontchartrain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

What a strong field. I am a little worried given the strength of the field but I still have confidence in Canada winning since they are sending their strongest team they have sent since 2007 when we sent Kelly Scott, maybe since 2004 when we sent Colleen Jones.

Old Post 02-26-12 07:38PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

my predicted final 4:

canada - been a long time since canada has failed to make the playoffs. Its possible heather misses out but i dont see it happening.

switzerland - i look for mirjam to snag her second medal here. i think she benefits from the fact that andrea isnt what she used to be, china seems to be struggling right now, and russia and denmark are inconsistent.I could see her winning actually but of the final 4 it would be the biggest surprise

sweden - strong team, had a great euros. should be there at the end

scotland - as has been said this is the strongest team eve has ever had. she's probably the strongest european team there.

just looking out:

united states - allison proved at nationals she has a great skipping mind. i just think she'll have 1 loss to many(probably to the 4 teams listed above and 1 more random loss)to make playoffs.

china - they seem to be very up and down. possible that the lineup changes are hurting them. They looked good at the continental cup but havent looked so great anywhere else. they could make a tiebreaker but i dont think they'll podium.

russia - got close to the playoffs last year and broke a string of 2 successive 4th place finishes by snagging bronze at the most recent euros. but they are still a level below teams like muirhead, sigfridsoon, nedohin and ott.

denmark - good strong team from denmark and will be close but have that 1 loss to many.

bottom feeders :

germany - might be able to knock off a few teams above them. Andrea had a bit of a nice revival in late 2009-2010 but without monika and melanie she's not a top team anymore. she will have the best record of the bottom teams and will beat the teams below her though

italy - diana gaspari makes a return to the world championship. she's always able to give teams a tight game but more often then not ends up losing to them. she wont have agreat record but she'll give alot of teams fits

korea - they are getting better but i still dont see them making to much noise

czech rpublic - dangerous team but still not experienced enough here to make to much noise.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-29-12 at 12:50PM

Old Post 02-29-12 12:41PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses
What a strong field. I am a little worried given the strength of the field but I still have confidence in Canada winning since they are sending their strongest team they have sent since 2007 when we sent Kelly Scott, maybe since 2004 when we sent Colleen Jones.

One of the most delusional posts you will ever see on this site.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.227.54.20

Old Post 02-29-12 03:13PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
my predicted final 4:

canada - been a long time since canada has failed to make the playoffs. Its possible heather misses out but i dont see it happening.

switzerland - i look for mirjam to snag her second medal here. i think she benefits from the fact that andrea isnt what she used to be, china seems to be struggling right now, and russia and denmark are inconsistent.I could see her winning actually but of the final 4 it would be the biggest surprise

sweden - strong team, had a great euros. should be there at the end

scotland - as has been said this is the strongest team eve has ever had. she's probably the strongest european team there.

just looking out:

united states - allison proved at nationals she has a great skipping mind. i just think she'll have 1 loss to many(probably to the 4 teams listed above and 1 more random loss)to make playoffs.

china - they seem to be very up and down. possible that the lineup changes are hurting them. They looked good at the continental cup but havent looked so great anywhere else. they could make a tiebreaker but i dont think they'll podium.

russia - got close to the playoffs last year and broke a string of 2 successive 4th place finishes by snagging bronze at the most recent euros. but they are still a level below teams like muirhead, sigfridsoon, nedohin and ott.

denmark - good strong team from denmark and will be close but have that 1 loss to many.

bottom feeders :

germany - might be able to knock off a few teams above them. Andrea had a bit of a nice revival in late 2009-2010 but without monika and melanie she's not a top team anymore. she will have the best record of the bottom teams and will beat the teams below her though

italy - diana gaspari makes a return to the world championship. she's always able to give teams a tight game but more often then not ends up losing to them. she wont have agreat record but she'll give alot of teams fits

korea - they are getting better but i still dont see them making to much noise

czech rpublic - dangerous team but still not experienced enough here to make to much noise.

I think Scotland is the favorite, it wouldn't surprise me if they dominated the RR. I like China to make the playoffs. If I'm right on these two points, Canada is going to have to take care of business against the field, especially against teams like US, Switzerland, Sweden, China. Those matches could decide a lot.

Nine Ender

Old Post 02-29-12 03:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I think Scotland is the favorite, it wouldn't surprise me if they dominated the RR. I like China to make the playoffs. If I'm right on these two points, Canada is going to have to take care of business against the field, especially against teams like US, Switzerland, Sweden, China. Those matches could decide a lot.

Nine Ender

yeah, i agree. I think first place in the round robin will be a toss up between scotland and canada

eve's only potential round robin losses i see are switzerland, sweden and canada..i really dont see any of the other teams having a chance to beat her unless she struggles or has a bad game

Old Post 02-29-12 03:57PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
I still have confidence in Canada winning since they are sending their strongest team they have sent since 2007 when we sent Kelly Scott, maybe since 2004 when we sent Colleen Jones.

What possible reasoning could you have for this assertion? At least your argument against Jones' all-time credentials makes sense (even if I think it's wrong) because you're comparing different eras. But here, Nedohin has been curling during the Jones era with significantly less success. Nedohin's team is great and they have a decent chance of winning, but your statement is rediculous.

Old Post 02-29-12 08:30PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

canada, scotland and switzerland have the best 3 thirds there if they are playing well. The match ups between sloan, schaffer and iskiw should be interesting and i look forward to seeing who comes out on top

carmen is probably the strongest of the 3 in terms of consistency

beth is strong but she definately was over peforming to her usual standards at the scotties

anna is solid but, like kelly wood her draw weight deserts her frequently.

Old Post 02-29-12 08:54PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I've seen all three. Based on Iskiw's performance at the Alberta playdowns and then at the Scotts I'd rate her ahead of both Shaefer and Sloan. I wouldn't be surprised if Beth finishes the round-robin 4 to 6 points higher than either Anna or Carmen.

I'm looking forward to see how far Pottinger's USA third has come.

well, yeah if she performs as well at the worlds as she did at the scottiesw sh's the best one there

however her performance at the scotties was above her usual. if she was that strong all the time then you can bet heather would have at least 1 more alberta title to her credit by now.

carmen is consistently a top performer , she is more or less hurt by the fact that mirjam is so up and down.

i think carmen and beth will finish the top 2 and anna will finish 3rd

Old Post 02-29-12 10:24PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

What possible reasoning could you have for this assertion? At least your argument against Jones' all-time credentials makes sense (even if I think it's wrong) because you're comparing different eras. But here, Nedohin has been curling during the Jones era with significantly less success. Nedohin's team is great and they have a decent chance of winning, but your statement is rediculous.

Well one major difference is Nedohin has to fight to get out of a super strong province every year. Jennifer Jones has been Team Canada a few times, but also is from a relatively weak province for women these days (other than her) which offers no real opposition to get out of. Just look at the teams they send to the Scotties of late when she is Team Canada for instance. In any case the curling Nedohin displayed to win the Scotties this year was superior to anything I have seen from Jones since 2005-2007 (06 and 07 she lost to queen Kelly Scott of course, but was still curling better than while winning mostly against weak choking opponents in 08-2010).

If Nedohin were to win Worlds it would fully validate my statement that much more. Needless to say Jones would have no hope of taking down someone like the scary Eve Muirhead, possibly even Kelly Scott wouldnt be able to, so if Nedohin manages the feat that already says enough.

Last edited by KittyHisses on 03-01-12 at 02:55AM

Old Post 03-01-12 02:50AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Well one major difference is Nedohin has to fight to get out of a super strong province every year. Jennifer Jones has been Team Canada a few times, but also is from a relatively weak province for women these days (other than her) which offers no real opposition to get out of.

Dear UpYerKilt:

Please stop insulting all the women's teams in Manitoba. We are not weak. Our first, second and third seeded teams are in the top 10 in the Order of Merit list on the World curling tour. Alberta only had two.
And please don't forget, Jennifer finished first overall in the Scotties, and the entire team was the all-star team. Where was Nedohin? Oh yeah, she never made the all-star team.

Respectfully,
Cathy Overton-Clapham, Chelsey Carey, Barb Spencer.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.38.247

Old Post 03-01-12 08:36AM
Unregistered

quote:

Well one major difference is Nedohin has to fight to get out of a super strong province every year. Jennifer Jones has been Team Canada a few times, but also is from a relatively weak province for women these days (other than her) which offers no real opposition to get out of. Just look at the teams they send to the Scotties of late when she is Team Canada for instance. In any case the curling Nedohin displayed to win the Scotties this year was superior to anything I have seen from Jones since 2005-2007 (06 and 07 she lost to queen Kelly Scott of course, but was still curling better than while winning mostly against weak choking opponents in 08-2010).

If Nedohin were to win Worlds it would fully validate my statement that much more. Needless to say Jones would have no hope of taking down someone like the scary Eve Muirhead, possibly even Kelly Scott wouldnt be able to, so if Nedohin manages the feat that already says enough.

You are extremely delusional. Your posts are scary level stupid.

Old Post 03-01-12 11:49AM
Unregistered

quote:

LOL! WTF is this nonsense??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.73.76.62

Old Post 03-01-12 12:42PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:

Dear UpYerKilt:

Please stop insulting all the women's teams in Manitoba. We are not weak. Our first, second and third seeded teams are in the top 10 in the Order of Merit list on the World curling tour. Alberta only had two.
And please don't forget, Jennifer finished first overall in the Scotties, and the entire team was the all-star team. Where was Nedohin? Oh yeah, she never made the all-star team.

Respectfully,

I am not UpYerKilt retard, and if there was a half decent moderator on this board all those coming up with the false accusation that I am which is easily disproven by our IP addresses would be banned already. Not to mention only someone incredibly stupid could even read my posts and UpYerKilt's posts and think they are similar in posting style or tone, but there are alot of incedibly stupid people on this forum unfortunately, such as the last 3 posters in this thread.

Yes the Manitoba curlers aside form Jones are weak, look at the records of their teams at the Scoties the 4 times Jones was Team Canada. Only one year did they post even a decent record (and still missed the playoffs). It is a cakewalk to make it out of Manitoba when Jones has to.

So finishing first overall in round robin is what really matters, not winning the overall event? In that case I guess Jones comes out looking even worse, she was 4th or 5th in the RR two of the years she won. Thanks for playing.

Old Post 03-01-12 01:51PM
Unregistered

quote:

I am not UpYerKilt retard, and if there was a half decent moderator on this board all those coming up with the false accusation that I am which is easily disproven by our IP addresses would be banned already. Not to mention only someone incredibly stupid could even read my posts and UpYerKilt's posts and think they are similar in posting style or tone, but there are alot of incedibly stupid people on this forum unfortunately, such as the last 3 posters in this thread.

Yes the Manitoba curlers aside form Jones are weak, look at the records of their teams at the Scoties the 4 times Jones was Team Canada. Only one year did they post even a decent record (and still missed the playoffs). It is a cakewalk to make it out of Manitoba when Jones has to.

So finishing first overall in round robin is what really matters, not winning the overall event? In that case I guess Jones comes out looking even worse, she was 4th or 5th in the RR two of the years she won. Thanks for playing.

The only thing that comes to mind when I read deluded garbage like this is - why do I bother reading deluded garbage like this?!

Old Post 03-01-12 02:17PM
Unregistered

quote:

You are a delusional idiot, regardless of what you want us to call you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.38.247

Old Post 03-01-12 02:58PM
Unregistered

quote:

Lol! You really are a peach! Cranky, delusional and WAY off base! But everyone has a good side.....we're just waiting for yours!

Old Post 03-01-12 03:05PM
Unregistered

quote:

Dear UpYerKilt:

Respectfully,

You're right, she wasn't on the all star team, but she was voted MVP for the entire event. Also, people don't forget that Team Nedohin has played in 3 of the last 4 Alberta provincial finals, so it's not like she was a surprise to win this year.

Go for gold ladies!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.191.251.155

Old Post 03-01-12 03:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

why is this turning into a debate about the qualit of teams in manitoba? take it to the appropriate thread

Old Post 03-01-12 03:56PM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:

Which is why I always end up being right, and virtually all my predictions (especialy the ones criticized by the less intelligent folk here) end up being right, while idiots like yourself are frequently wrong. Again thanks for playing.

Old Post 03-01-12 04:03PM
Unregistered

Talking

quote:

Which is why I always end up being right, and virtually all my predictions (especialy the ones criticized by the less intelligent folk here) end up being right, while idiots like yourself are frequently wrong. Again thanks for playing.

This post makes as much sense as your curling thoughts! Which, by the way, isn't very much. The fact that you consider yourself intelligent is the funniest thing I have read here today! Please keep trying to play!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.112.218.247

Old Post 03-01-12 05:31PM