Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > 2012 Safeway Select Manitoba
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Mcewen in trouble

has just given up a steal of 1 in 3 and 2 in 4 to go down 4-2

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-12-12 03:41PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

ties it up at 4 after 5

Old Post 02-12-12 03:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Fifth end break then....CBC family Sunday? What the Hell!!

Shaw really has trouble with the people flicking the switch.

Old Post 02-12-12 04:03PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

McEwen's team must be thinking "What just happened?"
We all thought that the title was Mike's, but they lose another provincial final.. Does some major re-thinking of their schedule have to be done so that they peak for the provincials?

Congrats to Team Fowler! Especially to Rob after moving up from 2nd to Skip and then within 5 years becoming the Manitoba champ

Old Post 02-12-12 05:40PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

congrats to rob fowler

really got to sting for mike though

Old Post 02-12-12 05:41PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Another missed Brier for McEwen. Fowler & gang curled well.

Old Post 02-12-12 05:42PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Darn, I was really hoping for McEwen to finally book his trip to the Brier. Fowler had the better team today and they are full credit for their victory. A nice group of guys, they will be really easy to cheer for in Saskatoon - and if they play as well as they did this week, they'll be definite playoff contenders!

Old Post 02-12-12 05:51PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Location: down the street from psychotic right next to oblivious

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
McEwen's team must be thinking "What just happened?"
We all thought that the title was Mike's, but they lose another provincial final.. Does some major re-thinking of their schedule have to be done so that they peak for the provincials?

Congrats to Team Fowler! Especially to Rob after moving up from 2nd to Skip and then within 5 years becoming the Manitoba champ

Well he was an established skip before playing with Stoughton

Old Post 02-12-12 06:02PM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

I am absolutely gutted for McEwen and the boys. I can't imagine how hard it would be to stand there and watch as the other guys receive their hardware for three years in a row. My wife felt so bad for them she was in tears. A team that good will have their day....probably days in the Brier. Keep battling Mike, that purple heart is going to look mighty good on you when it comes.

Old Post 02-12-12 06:48PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Good job Rob and team. Twenty-five years to the day your dad won it.

Instead of inducting a team into the Sports Hall of Fame in Manitoba, they may have to induct Brian, Lois, Rhonda and Rob as the first family of curling!

Old Post 02-12-12 07:37PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Good job Rob and team. Twenty-five years to the day your dad won it. Instead of inducting a team into the Sports Hall of Fame in Manitoba, they may have to induct Brian, Lois, Rhonda and Rob as the first family of curling!

Drove over to watch the semi and the final. Fowler had supporters in the sparsely populated stands after the wpg exodus. Fowler team dodged a bullet in the 3rd with a game saver and held firm thereafter, stealing and putting McEwen's back to the wall. Lots of smiles for Fowler and team for a well deserved win. As I watched, I felt - I don't want Mike to lose, but I'd like to see Rob win. We can't have it all. A strong rep for MB. Nice to see Willie sitting with Lois and Brian cheering his brother on, after going down to him in the semi.

Old Post 02-12-12 07:51PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

not really a fan of team mcewen but still gutted to see them lose yet another close final as soon as rob layed his final shot i knew it was over, i dont think what they tried to do was really there

they will regroup but now there is still the question of when is there time going to come?

Old Post 02-12-12 08:03PM
magicstew
Swing Artist

Congrats to Robbie, Allan, Rich, & Derek - You beat them all.
Best of luck in the brier, I know you will represent us well.

Old Post 02-12-12 08:29PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Rob had no fifth or coach listed on the player personnel site this weekend.

Who will he pick for a 5th and a coach?

I see Blake McDonald will be Koe's fifth.

Old Post 02-12-12 09:02PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Maybe they'll pick Willie Lyburn as their 5th. He's Alan's brother and skipped the team that was in the semifinal. Brian Fowler could coach them - pretty sure he's done it before. All completely speculative. We'll soon see, I guess.

... after thought. I wonder if Willie can sweep. Probably.

Last edited by nelski on 02-12-12 at 09:44PM

Old Post 02-12-12 09:33PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Reid Carruthers.

Old Post 02-12-12 10:22PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Does anyone know how much time McEwen had on his clock?

Old Post 02-12-12 10:42PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Location: down the street from psychotic right next to oblivious

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Maybe they'll pick Willie Lyburn as their 5th. He's Alan's brother and skipped the team that was in the semifinal. Brian Fowler could coach them - pretty sure he's done it before. All completely speculative. We'll soon see, I guess.

... after thought. I wonder if Willie can sweep. Probably.

Can't see how it wouldn't be William. He played with Rob when he first moved here. Alan's brother. Fellow ex-Branonite. Time off from work would be the only reason he couldn't. Brian would be the coach for sure. Sentimental choice for sure. And the one of the more laid back, fun old partiers from brandon.

I would wager fairly high Jeff, Mike or Jon will not be asked. Reid is a maybe if William couldn't make it.

Old Post 02-12-12 11:04PM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
Does anyone know how much time McEwen had on his clock?

I believe it was 40-some seconds left when he started to throw.

Old Post 02-13-12 07:35AM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Cosss
I believe it was 40-some seconds left when he started to throw.

Yes. just under 40 when he crossed the T-line, but it was scary, because there were only seconds fewer (41) when the time-out kicked in so to many of the folks in the stands, it looked like they might forfeit the shot. The clock showed 6 seconds when he got to the hack and you could feel the murmurs. The clock hit zero, and whew! Their remaining 41 secs showed up. Looked like an impossible shot though.

Old Post 02-13-12 09:24AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Now that Koe has checked in with Blake McDonald wonder if Glenn Howard will fight fire with fire and bring his old third aboard?

I believe for the last couple of years, it has been Glenn's son.

Old Post 02-13-12 11:11AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its most likely william lyburn

if not him i could see reid carruthers. I dont think anyone from the mcewen team would even accept on the outside chance that they were approached and i dont think jeff or jon would either

Old Post 02-13-12 12:41PM
alex
Swing Artist

I wonder if McEwen was actually hurt by Stoughton not getting to the final. They had been keying for that game for a long time, probably since the last final. They did start out well but after the first 2 ends just didn`t seem to have it which is unusual for them. Fowler`s team was very impressive.

Old Post 02-13-12 02:12PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I wonder if McEwen was actually hurt by Stoughton not getting to the final. They did start out well but after the first 2 ends just didn`t seem to have it which is unusual for them. Fowler`s team was very impressive.

Fowler's game saver in the 3rd was the turning point for sure. It was only a single, but it was a very difficult shot. They gauged it. He went down and threw it. Took the wind out of McEwan's sails. Many ends followed, but Fowler stole twice right after that shot. It was deflation - a dreadful condition in curling.

Old Post 02-13-12 02:55PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Steven. But I think Glenn might be in tough this year so an athletic third with all-star credential could cover a front end injury and also get inserted as vice or skip, if need be. Also depends if Glen's old third did much curling this season, if any!

glenn's son is scott, steven is russ's son.

why would he be in tough? he seems to do just fine with his son as alternate. Scott is a great young shot maker and he has loads of strength

i kind of expect to see scott move up to 3rd for john epping..possibly next season because i agree that scott bailey is not top level 3rd material.

Old Post 02-13-12 04:32PM