Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Building stabalizer out of copper
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Building stabalizer out of copper

So...the doctors say that the knee stabilization exercises might be enough, I might actually be able to regain enough range of motion in my knees to be able to attempt a slide delivery again...no guarantees (to be specific, the ortho said "Well...your knees should be able to handle it...the rest of you...well...give it a try and see what happens".

I will, however, need a stabilizer. I see the "do it yourself" plans all over the place using PVC piping.

I'm concerned...I weigh more than the average mixed doubles curling team (working on it...slowly...the knee issues came first, and the resulting lack of motion led to the weight gain... so don't bother with the "just lose the weight fatty" comments, mmkay?), and I have this fear of putting my weight on the PVC to press up after the delivery, or getting off balance during the learning process and putting all my weight on the stabilizer and shattering it.

Is it legal to either make a stabilizer (or strategic parts of it) out of copper or some other metal, or to surround a metal core with PVC pipe, or anything of the sort? Will the extra weight lead to ice damage? Am I overthinking the problem?

2 months until our ice is in...and it's my last year in 5 and under, so I wanna have a good season...good equipment will help

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-01-12 03:29PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

I don't foresee a problem with using metal for a stabilizer, as long as the metal itself is not exposed.

Metal piping will melt into the surface very easily if your stabilizer ever tips over or whatnot. So I'd be very careful to ensure it's fully covered.

Old Post 08-01-12 04:38PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Someone in our club made a few out of welded Aluminum sch 40 pipe with teflon sliding surfaces and they seem ok. I don't know how much the weight would effect people.

Old Post 08-02-12 09:58AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Asside from the fact that copper is expensive, it's very flexible, very reactive, and transfers heat very well. It will rust in no time, and probably mess up the ice. ABS is the black plastic, and it considerably thicker and more durable than the white pvc. you might even be able to reinforce the inside with wood if needed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.209.61.22

Old Post 08-02-12 10:46AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Try schedule 80 instead of the normal schedule 40.
Much thicker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 12.14.255.98

Old Post 08-02-12 11:01AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

slide with a broom, problem solved.

Old Post 08-02-12 03:42PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

use an edge

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.34.136.66

Old Post 08-02-12 03:51PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
slide with a broom, problem solved.

Which part of "My doctor says I have to have a stabilizer" wasn't clear?

I *might* get the range of motion to slide using the guaranteed stability of a stabilizer, according to the ortho, for this year and probably the remainder of my life, I will not have the stability to slide with a broom unless I ground the broom on multiple points and put a bigass handle on it...at which point it's...a stabilizer...

And even at that, it's a maybe. I may still only be able to use a stick. No huge deal, since at 41, I wasn't likely to contend for Worlds or the Olympics anyhow...I would like to take a crack at Club Nationals someday, however, hence the attempt to figure this thing out.

Old Post 08-02-12 04:03PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Asside from the fact that copper is expensive, it's very flexible, very reactive, and transfers heat very well. It will rust in no time, and probably mess up the ice. ABS is the black plastic, and it considerably thicker and more durable than the white pvc. you might even be able to reinforce the inside with wood if needed.

Copper does not rust. It is why they use it for water pipes.

ABS is indeed thicker but finding a pipe with a diameter that is not too large will be difficult. ABS is generally used as drain pipe - 1 1/2” and up. Good for a drain, a bit large to use as a handle.

White PVC is used as sliding crutches because it comes in smaller diameters. 3/4” and 1” make comfortable grips.

Old Post 08-02-12 08:18PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Actually, what I'm considering now is the white PVC with wooden dowels inside to provide some extra stiffness without a huge weight (or price) penalty.

And from talking a bit to the Master of the Crutch, Mr. Calebrese...I think I have a plan

Old Post 08-02-12 08:33PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

If you put your weight on the 90˚ elbow, close to the vertical, it’ll hold you without wood.
A bigger problem is the crutch sliding away from you, not collapsing.

http://www.curldc.org/about/stabili...how.to.make.pdf

Old Post 08-04-12 01:42AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

the edge glider will hold as much weight as you want and it is very difficult for it to flip out from under you.
Also much more portable because it comes apart and fits in any curling bag.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.108.101.84

Old Post 08-04-12 03:01PM
Unregistered

Here's your solution - The new Ice Dragon
http://icedragoncurling.com/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.159.126.149

Old Post 08-10-12 06:09PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Two comments:

A well constructed PVC stabilizer will carry an enormous amount of weight. One of our members makes them on request--his design is a 'U' with a 'T' at each end, yielding a 4-footed stabilizer. It can be screwed or glued for strength, or the 'T's can be friction fit to allow them to be collapsed for travel. If you are putting enough weight on these to break them, you will not have a balanced delivery.

We have found that tall, large folks often can adopt the Utica knee slide when the traditional slide is not possible due to weight or strength issues. It is especially adaptable or those with iffy backs or certain types of knee issues. Those with knee replacements may not be allowed to do this slide, though. Knee sliders may use a stabilizer or their broom laid flat on the ice for the non-delivery hand.

Cheers.

Old Post 08-12-12 04:14PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, I'm almost certainly going to be Utica style sliding...if at all...had a setback in knee strength last week (my own damn fault for not PT'ing rigorously enough and not pursuing the diet with sufficient rigor to lose the weight the doc said I'd need to lose)...and I might end up on the stick again after all this year...I just don't know right now.

Guess I'll see in about 7 weeks...geez...it's getting close...

Old Post 08-13-12 02:21PM
Brandon378
Harvey Hacksmasher

Overall, DeFi has the potential to democratize finance, making it more accessible, transparent, and efficient. However, it also faces challenges, including regulatory uncertainty, security risks, and scalability issues. Secure online poker rooms

Old Post 08-27-24 05:26PM
Brandon378 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon378 Find more posts by Brandon378 Add Brandon378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote