Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Brier 2022 - TSN’s Statisticus Autisticus
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Brier 2022 - TSN’s Statisticus Autisticus - Brier Record of the Day

As usual TSN (and the broadcasting team) do a poor job of showcasing the Brier record book and/or famous past games.

For example, yesterday (March 4) they could have mentioned or highlighted two unbeatable Brier records:

March 4,1957 Kingston

Sask (Campbell) beat NB (Everett) 30-3 - the record high score and the biggest margin of victory in Brier history. Note: Sask overcame an early 1-0 NB lead.

March 4,1965 Saskatoon

Alberta (Laschuk) 16 Quebec (Tracey) 12…Coming back from a 9-0 deficit after 5 ends, which was the greatest points comeback in Brier history.

I’ll try to supplement the TSN’s failure to do its homework, and will post other interesting or record-breaking stats and records during the upcoming week.

Last edited by Statman on 03-06-22 at 04:13PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-22 06:38PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Brier 2022 - TSN’s Statisticus Autisticus

quote:
Originally posted by Statman
As usual TSN (and the broadcasting team) do a poor job of showcasing the Brier record book and/or famous past games.

For example, yesterday (March 4) they could have mentioned or highlighted two unbeatable Brier records:

March 4,1957 Kingston

Sask (Campbell) beat NB (Everett) 30-3 - the record high score and the biggest margin of victory in Brier history. Note: Sask overcame an early 1-0 NB lead.

March 4,1965 Saskatoon

Alberta (Laschuk) 16 Quebec (Tracey) 12…Coming back from a 9-0 deficit after 5 ends, which was the greatest points comeback in Brier history.

I’ll try to supplement the TSN’s failure to do its homework, and will post other interesting or record-breaking stats and records during the upcoming week.

STATMAN long time no hear. Always enjoy your posts and stats.

Old Post 03-05-22 07:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Awesome. Thank you!

The degree to which TSN phones-in things it doesn't have to continues to surprise me. There is just so little detail. You never hear nuanced talk about team performance let alone past stats. And they're so easy to drop in, especially early on.

They also choose some weird ones. For example on Brad Thiessen they just put up that they he was the Americas Challenge champ...with no one providing any context of what that even means.

Old Post 03-05-22 08:43PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

I don't have the stats in front of me but it's a pretty good bet that Russ Howard(and his brother Glenn) have been to more Briers than just about anyone, going back 40 years or so.
His brain is a treasure-trove of historical facts and stats, and many of them he has personally experienced first hand.

Not asking him to go full "Ed Lukowich" with the old timey reminiscing, but Russ is definitely underutilized. I like him on the broadcasts but the show could use a bit of tinkering.

Think Monday Night Football with the Manning Bros, but with curling.

Old Post 03-05-22 09:23PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
I don't have the stats in front of me

https://stats.curling.io/brier/records

Brad Gushue and Glenn Howard share for most events played (18, +1 for 2022). Russ Howard is 14.

Old Post 03-05-22 09:48PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

https://stats.curling.io/brier/records

Brad Gushue and Glenn Howard share for most events played (18, +1 for 2022). Russ Howard is 14.

Clips. You’re in over your head. Statman is the man. Without links and clips. Step back and watch the master.

“Watch and learn Ricky”!

Old Post 03-05-22 10:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Clips. You’re in over your head.

The link is to the official Curling Canada statistics website. I share it so that no one would have to say "I don't have the stats in front of me", because they can just look up most things themselves.

That is not an attack on any other poster.

Old Post 03-05-22 10:49PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Clips. You’re in over your head. Statman is the man. Without links and clips. Step back and watch the master.

“Watch and learn Ricky”!

I'm begging you to stop derailing threads just to attack curlingclips. It's as obnoxious or more than anything curlingclips does, plus it's childish.

Old Post 03-05-22 10:54PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Aah maybe but stat man has more stats in his head than you have after days of googling. Seriously. AND he’s curled before, not just talked about it.

Old Post 03-05-22 10:57PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Today’s quirky look through the Brier Record Book

Coming into this year’s Brier, Brad Gushue had delivered the most rocks in a river history with 4,150. At 44.1 lbs per stone, he’s hoisted 91.5 tons of granite down the sheet in Brier competitions.

And if we use the 93-feet from hog line to t-line as a typical length of shot, he’s thrown up 73 miles worth of deliveries.

Skill testing question. Who is second in stones delivered in Brier history?

Old Post 03-06-22 04:48PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Glenn Howard?

Old Post 03-06-22 05:10PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Right on…and for a bonus point, who is third? Which is a hint, in itself.

Old Post 03-06-22 05:14PM
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Mark Nichols?

Old Post 03-06-22 05:19PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
Mark Nichols?

A good one, Maggie.

Old Post 03-06-22 05:23PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Nunavut is well on the way to setting several records for futility. They are 0-6 so far, after being outscored 65-13, which would be much worse if not for the fact all of its games ended in concessions. Worse still their hammer efficiency conversion rate is 0.00!

One wonders how Canadian curling and its crown jewel is being served by fielding teams that are patently over their heads.

Surely, it would be better if the Territories, the Yukon and Nunavut played off, with one team, perhaps dubbed “the North” going on to the Brier.

Old Post 03-09-22 08:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Statman
Nunavut is well on the way to setting several records for futility. They are 0-6 so far, after being outscored 65-13, which would be much worse if not for the fact all of its games ended in concessions. Worse still their hammer efficiency conversion rate is 0.00!

One wonders how Canadian curling and its crown jewel is being served by fielding teams that are patently over their heads.

Surely, it would be better if the Territories, the Yukon and Nunavut played off, with one team, perhaps dubbed “the North” going on to the Brier.

Unfortunately can’t do that. Curling Canada gets their federal funding based on ALL provinces and territories included. It’s all about the money...money...money. I’m ok including all. It’s about “Trying” to build the sport. It may take years to have the youth of the north to take up the game, and become competitive, but all I am saying, is give curling a chance. #Lennon

Old Post 03-09-22 08:55PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

A good point, but a ‘play in’ for the “Northern” spot in the Brier could or should at least technically fulfill the money mandate.

As to being ‘competitive,’ with a population off 38,000 and all of three curling clubs, I doubt Nunavut will ever be competitive. PEI with a 160,000 population and 7 active clubs has never been particularly competitive.

Anyway, “when it comes to money, we are all the same religion.”

Last edited by Statman on 03-09-22 at 09:25PM

Old Post 03-09-22 09:19PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I'm not in favor of any playdown for any territory, keep it as it is, each place is part of Canada. Talent can absolutely come from the North, see the accomplishments of the Koe siblings.

Old Post 03-09-22 11:49PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I'm not in favor of any playdown for any territory, keep it as it is, each place is part of Canada. Talent can absolutely come from the North, see the accomplishments of the Koe siblings.

Of the Koe siblings Kevin is the only one who has accomplished anything to speak of. He’s the one who doesn’t live in the North. He plays where there is competition which always makes you better.

I don’t know what the answer is but I really don’t think the current format of the Scotties and Brier is the way to go.

Old Post 03-10-22 12:13AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

7 spots from the west and north.
6 spots from the east
1 team canada

Old Post 03-10-22 12:51AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bevis0405
Knee-Slider

great

The way you framed the topic was unique coreball and made me see it in a new light.

Old Post 03-02-23 11:29PM
bevis0405 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bevis0405 Find more posts by bevis0405 Add bevis0405 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSanders
Harvey Hacksmasher

so Statman - good to hear from you as you are the guru of curling stats for all time. What do you think of comparisons of the style/stats of older decades compared to the style/stats of the games today? Having played competitively from the no rock rule to the five rock rule, I think I is like comparing apples to oranges because of the different styles, ice times (i.e. 12.5 second draw) and competitive teams of the times. I am interested to see what you think?

Pat

Old Post 03-03-23 11:07AM
PSanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSanders Find more posts by PSanders Add PSanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andree23
Harvey Hacksmasher

The shell shockers originality of this piece rests in its capacity to spark discussion and open up fresh lines of inquiry. A real delight for the mind.

Old Post 08-09-23 05:44AM
andree23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andree23 Find more posts by andree23 Add andree23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote