Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Some interesting comments made by the Korean skip after her loss. She said she thought Heather had a good team but that Jenniffer Jones was better and that if they played again she could beat them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-12 02:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Some interesting comments made by the Korean skip after her loss. She said she thought Heather had a good team but that Jenniffer Jones was better and that if they played again she could beat them.

There's something very flat and tiring about this Team Canada. Heather's been playing pretty well though. But toss in a few more rocks they seem to get flustered and give up big ends. If playing to potential, JJ's team is definitely stronger.

I think this Team Canada needs a bit more time to build up some experience on the international stage.. something that many of these fresh female Canadian reps seem to lack. But that's harder said than done especially with so many decent teams fighting it out, particularly in the women's field.

Old Post 03-21-12 02:54PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

It is harder in Canada for the top teams to get more international experience. They are fighting to just get out of their Province half the time. Many of these world teams are hand picked and then get to curl full time (at Canadian events too). Our Canadian women often don't have that luxury. So kudos to Hyper Heather and her team. And I hope they beat Korea again.

Remember little Miss Korea, curling karma always comes back at you!

Old Post 03-21-12 03:17PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think the Korean skip was just trying to stir stuff up on curlingzone.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.70.34.230

Old Post 03-21-12 03:17PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Like many Canadian thirds do in international competition, Beth Iskiw made the wrong sweep call on Heather's attempted raise back and the result was a three for Sweden (great shots by the flame-thrower Pyrtz to do it)

I can't totally blame Iskiw as I've seen other canadian thirds like Kaitlynn Lawes, Cathy O and Jeanna Schraeder goof up badly on the tee. Its a hard job, to be sure!

You really should open up a Curling Museum complete with some big font quotes of wisdom from yourself and some nice exhibits. For example, "Legend dissects Jennifer Jones' strategy part 54".

Beth Iskiw could be one of your first Legend's Hall of Fame inductees, for her long award winning career at the top of the women's game.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-21-12 at 03:56PM

Old Post 03-21-12 03:41PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

This is getting awful. The united states is battling yeah but theire opponents are also gifitng them alot of shots all of a sudden

Italy wrecked on a guard on a shot for 3 and fell apart

Czech Republic wrecked on a shot for 2

Russia flashed a blank then wrecked on a guard on a chance for 3

They sure do seem to be getting an awful lot of help these days

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-21-12 05:19PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:

Yes, Nedohin is riding the thin edge of the wedge but they are winning and thats important (even with tiny margins. Nedohin is a dogged and determined skip who makes a ton of shots, right from basic to semi-high degree of difficulty. She doesn't gas too many - nothing near Kelly Scott, Shannon Kleibrink, Cheryl Bernard levels!)

Iskiw might not be performing at Jeanna Schraeder 'Shredder' levels but she's poised, confident and delivery solid performance after performance. Can the front end hold their end of the bargain?

I think the only threat buried in the morass of 4 loss teams might be the Americans - they could stone some of the current Top4 if they somehow run the table and one of the current 6-2 teams falters and the americans catch a tie-breaker. American third Nicole Jorentstad is evolving into a monster - making high 90s in a couple games as the americans desperatly battle from the sewer.

Nice to see them prevail against Korea and leading Germany now.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-21-12 06:15PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

So i guess Switzerland will be that team that all the four loss teams lookt at to try and get in. I knew denmark would be dangerous for them and now they have to deal with Korea and Russia tommorrow

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-21-12 06:52PM
Sean
Administrator

After people had written the Americans off, suddenly they win 5 straight and they're a part of the mix. Tough thing is that they need to win both games tomorrow to get in.
Big game tonight for Scotland as they play 6-2 Sweden, lose and you're probably out.

I have to at you guys complaining about Team Canada when they are sitting in 1st place at 7-2. Team Canada is always put down because we expect perfection, when they don't acheive that in our eyes, we put them down.
Results speak for themselves people.

Old Post 03-21-12 07:30PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
If I'm Heather (which I'm not) I'd be a prayin' tonite that Lady Mirjam holds up and doesn't descend into tie-break country, allowing either or both USA or Scotland back into the fray.

Both Scotland and USA started poorly but one can't even begin to imagine the devestation these two teams could make if they go on a run and are allowed into the playoffs.

USA is starting to burn it up.

And we all know that despite Princess Eve's morose play thus far, she is very capable of taking down anyone in women's curling!!!

The question is really Korea. How will Mirjam hold up against their relentless offense? I say the bigger threat is korea and if she gets past them she will finish 8-3

I dont think Russia will be able to defeat Switzerland because they really have struggled with offense this week and Mirjam knows how to handle them even on a good day. If Switzerland defeats Korea tommorrow morning they should be good.

Old Post 03-21-12 07:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Remember the playoff game between Jennifer Jones and Muirhead about 3 years ago (at worlds). JJ thought she had an end locked up (for a steal of 1 or 2) and Muirhead hit her up with a couple of absolutely stunning shots to take a deuce. It was early in the game but Jones was shell-shocked and was very shaky the rest of the game - which Princess easily won!

I do remember that. Switzerland isn't the biggest concern in my opinion. Like i said I think they will be okay. The biggest threat is Korea and whether or not they can counter their relentless style of play. The Koreans play very similar to Sweden so there might be reason for concern there. I am not con concerned about Russia.

Sweden is the team i would be looking at to hit four losses. They have Denmark and United states up tommorrow so it is perfectly reasonable to assume they lose both games. The match against Scotland tonight will be huge for them

Korea is interesting. If they lose to Germany tonight I am curious what happens tommorrow

Old Post 03-21-12 07:55PM
Unregistered

Anywhere online to watch the evening draw?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.53.226.166

Old Post 03-21-12 10:12PM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm interested in watching the 'action' unfold between Scotland and Sweden... 6 blank ends... tied 1-1... playing the 8th. Everyone must be playing super defensive in that one.

Old Post 03-21-12 10:50PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

Ouch... Eve came up short on her last rock and SWE gets one to win... I said before the game that it would be a slugfest and boy was I wrong... the most defensive game of the week and neither team had anything going. The most rocks in play was in the 10th... Eve nosed a peel with her first... SWE tried draw behind but it stayed out and landed back four, pretty wide open... then EVE came up short on a draw to full four. Can't say this one was a classic.

Korea controlled GER pretty well the whole way and it took till the 8th before GER stopped the defensive style and took some chances... and they actually scored 2. The Korean skipper was very hot and she was too good for GER tonight. KOR had some misses on peels at 3rd but other than that, they are solid.

DEN was making everything and had ITA in trouble every end but somehow ITA made that one saving shot each end to go the entire 10 ends... one of those games that shouldn't have been close but was.

RUS controlled their game but again CZE made enough shots to go 10.

Old Post 03-22-12 12:42AM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tie-break?

Can someone explain how the tie-breaker would work for a three-way tie?

Specifically, in this case, if Canada, Korea and Sweden all finish at 9-2. (Since Canada defeated Korea, Korea defeated Sweden, and Sweden beat Canada. It is head-to-head matches that are used as tie-breakers, if I understand correctly...)

Old Post 03-22-12 08:45AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
The hottest team in the event right now is The American Dreamers - and they can help themselves by rocking Sweden Thursday am.

They still need help but can at least create a tie-break deadlock if the Koreans subdue Miri Ott.

Thats the ticket for the americans to continue pursuit of what many considered a broken dream just a couple days ago.

check this out: Five losses still might be okay and its possible that 5 teams end up with that:

Switzerland loses to Korea and Russia and finishes 6-5

Russia beats Korea and Switzerland and finishes 6-5

Scotland beats Italy and Canada and finishes 6-5

Denmark beats United states and Sweden and finishes 6-5

United states beats Sweden and loses to Denmark and finishes 6-5

now wouldn't that make for a fun final day?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-22-12 09:13AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

It's crunch time folks. Hard to see any of the top three losing any more than 1 game each (not that it cann't happen). Canada has Italy and Scotland, Korea has Switzerland and Russia, Sweden has the U.S.A and Denmark, slightly tougher road for Sweden as Denmark has been up and down and the USA is on a hot roll. As has been already pointed out, The Yanks chances (and Denmarks for that matter) really hinge a lot on how the game between Korea and Switzerland ends up. Switzerland finishes up with Russia. Denmark and the USA finish against each other, might be the game to determine who's in and who's not. It'll be fun!!
Go Team Canada!!

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 03-22-12 at 09:29AM

Old Post 03-22-12 09:17AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hasbin
Harvey Hacksmasher

In the above described scenario where 3 teams are tied for first after rr....and all have beaten each other, I believe it will go to whatever skill based ranking system they have used....but would involve all players having thrown a rock to the button at some point. In some spiels they "total" all draws for hammer ....in others, all 4 team members throw one rock each in succession after their practice prior to the event getting officially started. Not sure which system they uzse at the Worlds.

Old Post 03-22-12 09:36AM
hasbin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hasbin Click here to Send hasbin a Private Message Find more posts by hasbin Add hasbin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Three teams tied and all have beaten each other then it goes to DSC (draw shot challenge). DSC is the draw to the button for hammer, an average is taken of all the DSC with the worst DSC thrown out (so the 10 best). Team with the best DSC will be placed first.

Google is your friend, spelled out quite clearly in the WCF rules (page 31).

Editted to add - Canada has started with the hammer in 7 of 9 so guessing they have a pretty good DSC.

Last edited by jhcurl on 03-22-12 at 10:16AM

Old Post 03-22-12 10:11AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Before each game in the round robin, hammer is determined by a draw to the button. They also record all the results and keep them just in case...

...if, at the end of the round robin portion, three or more teams have the same record and head-to-head results cannot determine a ranking, they take the average of all their round robin pre-game draws-to-button (excluding their worst one).

If teams are still tied using this average, the next tie breaker is to compare the two teams' best draw-to-button, then their next best draws-to-button, and so on.

In the utterly astonishing case that two teams both had identical sets of draw-to-button measures, the last tie breaker would be to use their WCF World Rankings.

(I suppose this could happen if two teams managed to cover the pin with all of their round robin draws-to-button, in which case their average would be 0 and each of the draws would also be 0, resulting in a perfect tie all the way along.)

This ranking is used to determine the playoff/tiebreak game match-ups.

Last edited by ngm on 03-22-12 at 10:23AM

Old Post 03-22-12 10:18AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Excellent clarification -- thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Google is your friend, spelled out quite clearly in the WCF rules (page 31).

Agreed. But while The Googles might have led this horse to the water that is a 60-page rule book, I'll drink to your pointing out where specifically to find these details.

quote:
WCF Rules of Curling C9. (c) (iv)
[T]he Draw Shot Challenge (DSC) [...] is the average distance of the Last Stone Draws (LSD) which were played by a team during the round robin portion of a competition. The single least favourable LSD result is automatically eliminated before calculating this average distance. The team with the lesser DSC receives the higher ranking. If the DSCs are equal, then the team with the best non-equal LSD receives the higher ranking. In case all LSDs are equal, the team ranked higher in the WCF World Rankings is ranked higher.

Try Googling "best non-equal LSD" (without quotes).

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
If teams are still tied using this average, the next tie breaker is to compare the two teams' best draw-to-button, then their next best draws-to-button, and so on.

In the utterly astonishing case that two teams both had identical sets of draw-to-button measures, the last tie breaker would be to use their WCF World Rankings.

(I suppose this could happen if two teams managed to cover the pin with all of their round robin draws-to-button, in which case their average would be 0 and each of the draws would also be 0, resulting in a perfect tie all the way along.)

(And thank you -- 'cuz this "best non-equal" phrase had me seriously puzzled.)

Based on the rules citing measurements of 0.0 cm and 185.4 cm, I'm guessing the precision is to the tenth of a centimeter, and unless there was nothing but 0.0s to compare, the world-rank tie-breaker would never come into play.

Follow up noob questions:

1. They don't happen to make these measurements public do they? (They're not in the stat reports.)

2. Is that same awkward device -- the "micrometer" (thanks Vic!) or competition measure or dial reader or whatever -- is that used to make this last-stone drawn measurement? Or is there another device?

At any rate, I'm hopeful was have three 9-2 teams at the end of this and I get to hear Linda, Vic and Russ having to explain this to a befuddled curling public using these acronyms.

Old Post 03-22-12 11:35AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Looks like Italy (so far) is in a giving mood this morning.

Found this interesting tidbit in the TSN website article:
"Nedohin has a circulatory condition called Raynaud's and she's susceptible to losing feeling in her fingers when she gets cold. The Canadian skip rarely takes off her gloves during a game.
"When we play in bonspiels in the barns, I call them, I freeze," she said. "I have to do a lot of different things to counteract it. I've had it as early as the third or fourth end where I'm losing my sensation."
"I find I lose my sense of draw because I'm a touch player. I have no problems here. It's a warm environment."

Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 03-22-12 at 11:50AM

Old Post 03-22-12 11:47AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Team Canada is reminding me of that Molly Hatchet song "Flirtin' With Disaster" today. Better turn it around.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-22-12 01:14PM
Unregistered

Look at Italy giving Canada everything they can handle

Old Post 03-22-12 01:24PM
Unregistered

If Italy actually held on and won here would this be the country's first every victory over Canada?

Old Post 03-22-12 01:29PM