Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship
Pages (27): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sean
Administrator

An odd scenario for the Canadians, with a win they could get into the 1/2 game, with a loss they might have to play a tie-breaker. Cmon Canada, get it together and play a consistently good 10 ends and put up the W.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-12 07:48PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

So how are playoff positions decided, particularly if there are more than two teams tied for first place when the smoke clears on the last draw?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.17.238.252

Old Post 03-22-12 07:57PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
So how are playoff positions decided, particularly if there are more than two teams tied for first place when the smoke clears on the last draw?

Determined by dsc

apparently if all 4 teams finish 8-3 things would finish like this:

Sweden
Canada
Switzerland
Korea

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 03-22-12 08:07PM
Unregistered

quote:

Determined by dsc

Sweden
Canada
Switzerland
Korea

So what is "dsc"?

In any event, I guess Canada would be in the 1-2 game if they can defeat the Scots this evening?

Old Post 03-22-12 08:22PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

So what is "dsc"?

In any event, I guess Canada would be in the 1-2 game if they can defeat the Scots this evening?

why do you not go back a few pages in this forum and see what was explained previously. Great explanation there for all to see!

Old Post 03-22-12 09:04PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

So what is "dsc"?

dsc = draw shot challenge.... draw to the button...
Yes they should finish 1-2 if they win.

If they lose they'll end up 3rd or in a tie-breaker:

If CAN loses, SUI beats RUS, and USA beats DEN, SUI finishes 3rd and CAN plays USA in a tiebreaker.

If CAN loses, SUI loses to RUS, USA beats DEN, CAN finishes 3rd, SUI and USA in tiebreaker.

If CAN loses, SUI loses to RUS, USA loses to DEN, OR If CAN loses, SUI beats RUS, USA Loses to DEN,
CAN still finishes 3rd and faces SUI in the page 3-4 game.

Old Post 03-22-12 09:09PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

why do you not go back a few pages in this forum and see what was explained previously. Great explanation there for all to see!

Have been following this forum fairly closely but obviously I missed it. I much prefer the approach of not to use obscure and very specialized abbreviations for everything.

Old Post 03-22-12 09:38PM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow... Canada is asleep tonight.

Old Post 03-22-12 10:09PM
wakwak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakwak Click here to Send wakwak a Private Message Find more posts by wakwak Add wakwak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Heather hasn't had draw weight all day and it's costing them....

Old Post 03-22-12 10:11PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
Heather hasn't had draw weight all day and it's costing them....

The front end hasn't been really playing all that well either... this could be a very short evening if this continues.

Old Post 03-22-12 10:17PM
Unregistered

Red face

I hate to say it but its Nah Nah Nah Hey Hey Hey Goodbye Canada.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.46.207

Old Post 03-22-12 10:25PM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Heather chose a really bad time to puke up a typical mid-round JJ game - she's actually curling at 63%, lowest she's been all week. Funny thing, Princess is curling up the same rat sweat - 63%.....

Imagine if Eve actually made some of those shots we'd be in even greater trouble. Both skips' draw weights seem to be a little off tonight. There's been outs in each end for Team Canada.

Canada needed that 2 in the 5th. Nice double from Heather (Yes, you needed that!). But again, they were lucky that Eve flared it a little wide to leave that jam and double possibility.

Old Post 03-22-12 10:30PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Goodnight Irene, Scotland scores 3 in the 7th.

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-22-12 10:59PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Old Post 03-22-12 10:59PM
Hooper
Swing Artist

Counting Unhatched Chickens...

So if the US holds on and wins, how do they stand in terms of qualifying for the Olympics?

Old Post 03-22-12 11:05PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Determined by dsc

Sweden
Canada
Switzerland
Korea

Was this DSC order published before this game? Is this the DSC order? Or is this just the results of that four-way head-to-head win-loss compare? (Just not sure how'd they produce a DSC order before the last draw.)

Old Post 03-22-12 11:17PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

canada should take the stop watches and stick em were the sun dont shine.they are more worried about the time than making the shot.brutal

Old Post 03-22-12 11:32PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Re: Counting Unhatched Chickens...

quote:
Originally posted by Hooper
So if the US holds on and wins, how do they stand in terms of qualifying for the Olympics?

USA finished tied for 4th in the round robin. Scored decent Olympic Qualifying points....can earn more if they make the playoffs.

Amazing come back.

Old Post 03-22-12 11:54PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

....well....don't know about the rest of ya.....but I'm a little worried

It's not just a rock. It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, with a beveled underbelly and a handle a human being can hold. Okay, so in and of itself it looks like it has no practical purpose, but it's a repository of possibility. And, when it's handled just right, it exacts a kind of poetry - as close to poetry as I ever want to get. The way it moves.... Not once, in everything I've done, have I ever felt the same wonder and humanity as when I'm playing the game of curling.
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-22-12 11:55PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by wakwak

Imagine if Eve actually made some of those shots we'd be in even greater trouble. Both skips' draw weights seem to be a little off tonight. There's been outs in each end for Team Canada.

Canada needed that 2 in the 5th. Nice double from Heather (Yes, you needed that!). But again, they were lucky that Eve flared it a little wide to leave that jam and double possibility.

I can see why Scotland had a rough week. They are all around 21 years old. Eve's throwing bombs on fast ice. Sweeper's not always pinpoint on sweeping judgement.

I think they were better with a veteran presence like Jackie Lockhart on the team. Someone to suggest Eve throw a tap weight on some shots. Eve was 9th ranked in the skips this week.

Next few years will be interesting. Does this idea of all young teams ( eg Muirhead, Homan ) pan out in the long run ?

Old Post 03-23-12 12:10AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Counting Unhatched Chickens...

quote:
Originally posted by AK267

USA finished tied for 4th in the round robin. Scored decent Olympic Qualifying points....can earn more if they make the playoffs.

Amazing come back.

Thanks. I have absolutely no idea how Olympic qualifying works other than doing well in events like this helps. I really need to read up on it.

Old Post 03-23-12 12:13AM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I'm predicting the Americans will beat Canada unless Canada decides to show up.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.46.207

Old Post 03-23-12 12:27AM
wakwak
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think Canada finished just about where they should be... no more, no less. Maybe they'll be motivated and hit a hot streak like they did during playoffs at the Scotties.

Old Post 03-23-12 12:57AM
gameon
Hitting Paint

Yikes... not the outcome CDN wanted and having to play the tiebreaker is not something any team looks forward to. As some posters mentioned... the US are hot and playing at the top of their game right now... so CDN will have to put up or shutup.

Watching the US... their weak link is at 2nd... not sure why the percentage is so hi but I wasn't impressed. Jessica was the diff in the roundrobin game so if she can do it again... CDN has a good chance.

Who would have called China and Scotland not making the playoffs when this thing started???

Old Post 03-23-12 12:58AM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by gameon

Who would have called China and Scotland not making the playoffs when this thing started???

I'm pretty stunned with Scotland's performance. I really thought they'd put this kind of nonsense behind them.

I too overestimated China when I predicted a 4-7 record.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 141.35.40.141

Old Post 03-23-12 03:37AM