Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > Competitive Curling
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
countrycurler79
Harvey Hacksmasher

Competitive Curling

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help a girl out. For the last few years I have been wanting to curl competitive, but just have had bad luck trying to get a team together. I am living in Winkler but would travel to Winnipeg if need be.
Does anyone know if any competitive teams are looking for a player? And what do they usually look for in a player?
If someone can help me trying to fulfill my goal, that would be great!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-13 02:16PM
countrycurler79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for countrycurler79 Click here to Send countrycurler79 a Private Message Find more posts by countrycurler79 Add countrycurler79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
countrycurler79
Harvey Hacksmasher

Where are you living now? And as far as I know, the Winkler Curling Club allows women to curl in the men's league.

Thanks for the advice

Old Post 01-18-13 08:47PM
countrycurler79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for countrycurler79 Click here to Send countrycurler79 a Private Message Find more posts by countrycurler79 Add countrycurler79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Countrycurler79, I'm just a few miles south of you...but an international border between us makes me less of an expert. So take the following advice with a grain of salt:

All curling (and Womens in particular) can be difficult to break into. Step One would be to win a ton of Junior titles. If that ship has already sailed, the other way is longer...but tons of fun.

What you need to do is play as much as you can and in as many different clubs as possible. That is achieved by playing in bonspiels...all of them that you can. It will require you to ask 100 people to play in the spiel and accepting 97 "no"s...but that is what is neccessary. It sucks lining up a team. It really sucks. But once you get to the spiel, it rocks.

When at the spiel, you need to casually mention to every good team that you would gladly fill in whenever they are short. Not only the great teams, but all the good teams. Don't worry about leaving a business card or phone numbers. People can get ahold of people in these days of social networking and the internet.

Part of it sucks. Putting together spiel teams of questionable quality...getting beat...frustration that Chelsea Carey hasn't called you yet. Part of it is great. Spiels are great. Meeting people is great. Subbing on good teams until you get on one yourself is great. It's a long road, but the trip can be a blast.

For what it is worth,
Ben Tucker
Dumb American

Old Post 01-22-13 12:20PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
countrycurler79
Harvey Hacksmasher

ok, sounds great. are there any good competitive bonspiels in the southern Manitoba area coming up?

Old Post 01-22-13 01:16PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Don't misunderstand me. Don't worry about signing up for a "competitive" spiel in southern Manitoba...sign up for ANY spiel in the area. Winkler, Morris, Morden, Altona...check the spiel fliers at your club and the MCA website...pick out a fun one or two or three...ask a hundred people if they'd like to go.

Just get out there however you can...even Mixed. Meet people. Volunteer to play or fill in for their team. Been seen...be social. Wouldn't hurt if you threw some practice rocks so that you make shots.

Good luck. It sometimes takes some luck. Have fun along the way.

Ben Tucker

Old Post 01-22-13 02:54PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
countrycurler79
Harvey Hacksmasher

Okay. So any bonspiel in Morden, Winkler, Carmen. Anything in the Southern Manitoba area? So do a lot of people just fill in as a spare?

Old Post 01-22-13 07:07PM