Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Manitoba Curling > 2013 Safeway Championship Seedings
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

2013 Safeway Championship Seedings

Well it is that time of year for the players to seed the teams that have qualified for the Safeway Championship, so I would like to see where every feels that teams should be seeded. Here are my predictions to begin with, with a slight explanation of why.

1 Stoughton - Canada Cup Champ, always plays well in Championshp
2 McEwen - Decent year, haven't peaked too early this year
3 Fowler - Defending Champ other than that poor year
4 Willy Lyburn - Got out played big events & did well
5 Grassie - Great year on MCT, small events though
6 McNamee - Hasn't played much but semis in Swan with strong field
7 Peters - Started strong, faded & then came back.
8 Taylor - Throw together team that can make a lot of big shots
9 Bohn - Always there, making the big shots
10 Ramsey - Never know what team is going to show up,
11 Sigurdson - Seasoned veterans, can still make the big shot
12 Loreth - Don't play much but when they do, look out
13 Kraichy - New team, players that can make the shots
14 Freeman - Experience, home ice helped to them here.
15 Kolomaya - Got their first taste last year, decent year
16 Graham - Missing Farrol but can win games by himself
17 Madams - Never goes away
18 Chudley - Always has draw weight,
19 Robertson - Hometown favorite, could be his last
20 Ewasko - Been here before
21 Kujanpaa - Experience, always close games
22 Jones - Got a taste a year or two ago
23 Goethals - The next Murray Warren?
24 Magnusson - Dont know much about them
25 Todoruk - Might win a game or two
26 Brown - Is Grant throwing the brick, whats going on Rae?
27 Trimble - Played some MCT events
28 Kolly - Been trying for a long time, got hot at the right time

Intersted to hear everyones opinion

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-13 02:42PM
ruralkid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruralkid Click here to Send ruralkid a Private Message Find more posts by ruralkid Add ruralkid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Am i the only one that thinks its a little unfair that rob wasnt given top seed as defending champion?

there's no one on this planet that would argue that fowler is a better team then stoughton or mcewen however it was my understanding that the defending champion here got top seed

Old Post 01-16-13 03:26PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

Misty1,

I do see your point as it is a valid reason, but in MB the seeds are set by the players. So all the teams that make it to the provincials do the seeding, when they first started doing it the top 8 got seeded and the rest was a randow draw but that was ditched about 5 or 6 years ago when the 31st seed ended up being Reid Carruthers (shouldve never been that low) played Stoughton in the final and was leading after 5 ends. Now all 32 are seeded so that 1 plays 32, 2 vs 31 etc.

Since then the players vote, and I would say they vote on how the teams have done during this year, and the previous year. Some may never play very good during the year but always do well at the Provincials. Hope that clarifies it a little bit.

Old Post 01-16-13 04:15PM
ruralkid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruralkid Click here to Send ruralkid a Private Message Find more posts by ruralkid Add ruralkid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Am i the only one that thinks its a little unfair that rob wasnt given top seed as defending champion?

there's no one on this planet that would argue that fowler is a better team then stoughton or mcewen however it was my understanding that the defending champion here got top seed

Stoughton/McEwen- ranked 2/3 on this years OOM. Fowler 28,
Good enough reason for me to agree with seeding.

Old Post 01-16-13 04:31PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tarks
Hitting Paint

quote:

The seeds haven't come out yet. having said that, there is no way Fowler will get the top seed.

Old Post 01-16-13 04:37PM
Tarks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tarks Click here to Send Tarks a Private Message Find more posts by Tarks Add Tarks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by ruralkid
Misty1,

I do see your point as it is a valid reason, but in MB the seeds are set by the players. So all the teams that make it to the provincials do the seeding, when they first started doing it the top 8 got seeded and the rest was a randow draw but that was ditched about 5 or 6 years ago when the 31st seed ended up being Reid Carruthers (shouldve never been that low) played Stoughton in the final and was leading after 5 ends. Now all 32 are seeded so that 1 plays 32, 2 vs 31 etc.

Since then the players vote, and I would say they vote on how the teams have done during this year, and the previous year. Some may never play very good during the year but always do well at the Provincials. Hope that clarifies it a little bit.

see, i did not know that thats how the seeds were decided

Old Post 01-16-13 04:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

McEwen? Isn't he that guy that used to play for Terry McNamee?

Could not resist trying to be funny.

Misty, Ruralkid started this thread by filling out his seeding ballot as if he had one. He did a dang good job. I'd move up Kolomaya a few spots and Kraichy quite a few spots. I'd also move up Willy Lyburn one spot.

As for showing Fowler proper respect for being the defending champ: The champ is the champ until you beat him. Some of these guys beat Rob this year and have worked hard to earn the higher seed.

Now Ruralkid needs to correct his ballot by adding Lukowich, Elias, Siguradson and Van Kommer into the mix. I imagine that he'll have Elias pretty high up there. It will be interesting to see what he does with Lukowich. They didn't play at all and it is the first trip to The Big Dance for some of them...but that is a dangerous team.

Your harmless North Dakotan,
Ben Tucker

PS I will be staying out of Toban threads because I will forever need to type out in total "Mike McEwen (that guy who used to play for McNamee)". I've met Terry and he is a great guy. I've never met Mike, but when I do I will be forced to say, "Didn't you used to play for McNamee?"

Old Post 01-22-13 08:30AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes Tuck you are correct, I did those seeding before I knew who got the spots through the MCA Spiel. All of the teams that got spots are well deserved, that is a tough spiel as it is pure luck of the draw.

As for McEwen comment - well done, unfortunately it looks bad for both Mike & Team McNamee when I don't believe that they were trying to break the rules.

For those that have read the article in the Winnipeg Sun yesterday the article "Ringers not allowed" this was a pretty bad article as the truth is not printed. If you had seen Team McNamee playing on the weekend Mike had actually been playing all weekend. He was playing the first 2 games because Steve was still in Florida, then on Friday Terry got called back to work for Saturday Night. The article tells you that they just picked up Mike for the Kolomaya game.

If this is a rule that CurlManitoba is going to put into effect then it should apply to everyone which will ruin the game of curling, how many teams in the MCA spiel enter as a 6 person team, or pick up a spare if needed? Some people have other priorities that they had to be at. I am guessing that if you asked all the curlers over 50% would not no that rule when the team is in eligible already.

It is too bad that you are not allowed to play in a bonspiel with a bunch of friends, this shouldnt matter if they are a rookie or competitive curler.

Old Post 01-22-13 09:19AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I am officially calling "B.S." on Ruralkid.

Terry's a great guy and fun is a good thing...BUT:

Rules are rules and Select spots are available. If it was all about fun, why did they drop out when offered the chance to play in the lower events? Resby and Shane made the right call. These are grown men that should know to register your fifth.

As for Mike "I used to play for McNamee" McEwen: He's played so much on area ice, I think his club ice skills have diminished a little. I could be wrong, but I'm not wrong. He'll win the Select this year, so nobody's feeling sorry for him and his shrinking club-ice prowess.

So back to work, Ruralkid. Fill out your seeds so we can all take shots at it.

Ben Tucker
Really enjoyed the MCA

Old Post 01-22-13 09:44AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

Rod Hunter was skipping and throwing lead rocks with a stick. His son-in-law was 2nd, a buddy from Alberta 3rd and Bob Jenion threw 4th stones.

Old Post 01-22-13 03:17PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
mca does a good job but kind of adverse to change ...

they reduced the 8 game guarantee to 6 a few years ago but pretty sure they could get back to 1056 entries with a 4 game guarantee ... only one side basically ... one main event that generates 4 select qualififers , that starts friday morning with rural teams in second draw .. (travel time)

they need to forget about non card players (china, usa, non club member fun teams , teams with spares ( allow unlimited spares ) beating someone and knocking them out of the select chances ... if you lose you lose .. if 4 15 year olds beat you, you probably arent going to win the select anyway ..

the 10 best teams are already qualified by zone anyway ... this format might encourage them to enter too .. also more out of province teams might come

pretty sure allowing women teams in next year is not a good idea ... if you happen to get beat by 3 womens teams id be retiring ( like i did 35 years ago cause i was tired after 20 years of competitive curling ) ... perhaps having their spiel at the same time would work ...

just my thoughts .... though i like to duke it out on here whenits 30 below

anyone know who was on rod hunters team ?

china was sure hot this year ..beating usa shuster in final

why would losing to a womens team be a bad thing? curling isnt like alot of other sports where the women are blown away by the men. womens teams can definately compete with and beat mens teams

Old Post 01-22-13 04:49PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Did the Legendary "ARROW" Rod Hunter actually play in this year's MCA Spiel? WOW!!

Kinda agree with this year's seedings as presented by OP.

Gotta find room for Lukowich in the Top 12, plus Elias always puts up a fight before disappearing.

No question the high octane guys are Stoughton, McEwen, Fowler, Lyburn with the hard-hearted McNamee being a potential spoiler/killer as he usually is.

A couple fawns might get hot (Grassie, Kolomaya) before getting eaten alive by the MONSTERS!

The final weekend in both ladies and mens are always interesting times in Manitoba curling. However, the Mens 32 team playdown has to face reality. Way too many teams for the modern day. Should roll back to 24 in 2014 and 16 thereafter.

Ladies (currently 16) should probably be rolled back to 12, perhaps even 10.

And I'd really like the Manitoba Tankard (Safeways) to return to a venue in Winnipeg. Been on the rural tour for seems like 19 or 20 years now.

yeah, id love to see the playdowns in winnipeg. That way i could actually go and watch some matches

Old Post 01-22-13 04:52PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

why would losing to a womens team be a bad thing? curling isnt like alot of other sports where the women are blown away by the men. womens teams can definately compete with and beat mens teams

Good one, made my day!

Old Post 01-22-13 07:30PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Easy now.

My trip to the MCA did give me one shocker: Manitobans are afraid of the state of curling in the provience that is the epicenter of the sport.

Afforded to us by Curlingzone is the opportunity to voice concerns and explore various options with civil debate and the exchange of ideas.

So I was thrilled to see Fresca begin the conversation about the MCA spiel and possible improvements. I was thrilled to read a surprisingly lucid Manitoba Legend broach the subject of The Select's format. Believe it or not: Influential decisionmakers will either read or learn about such conversations.

So in a polite tone, we can all frame the debate and contribute ideas. Let me begin:

The Select format is probably for its own thread, so let's talk about the MCA.

First of all, I think we can ignore any posts that only point to the Good Old Days. Those days are gone and impovements seem needed. That being said, it is not an unreasonable position to settle for 300 Mens teams. It would remain the largest and best in the world. I don't think that Manitoba should settle for that, but I don't pay dues up there.

Second, I don't think that we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need to list everything we really like about the MCA and keep those alive. For instance, I like that all entries start in the same field. I love that any team could draw a Manitoba, Canadian, World or Olympic champion. (I know Manitoba has yet to get Olympic gold, but it is only a matter of time. I will take bets on that one.) I also like moving from club to club.

Third, I think that the addition of the MLCA is wonderful. In fact, I think it doesn't yet go far enough. I think that the sheets should be intermingled, with men on some and ladies on someothers in the same club at the same time. I think this would cause the MLCA to boom. I also think it would add enough fun into the equation that Mens entries would stop its decline.

As for whom has won curling games recently: I don't care. Who loves the game? About that, I care. As for ML being lucid, I was trying to be funny.

Ben Tucker
Illegal alien

Old Post 01-22-13 09:02PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

You forgive me, ML?

Old Post 01-22-13 09:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
ahhh misty ... i figured it out ... you are a woman... that explains a lot of your other posts

so you dont think womens teams can beat mens teams and yet that has happened this year and previously.

and what is that even supposed to mean?

Old Post 01-22-13 09:15PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Good one, made my day!

Maybe I should elaborate. A top womens team has about a 1 in 10 chance of beating a top men's team.
A top club womens team has a less chance of beating a top club men's team .
So it made my day by giving me a laugh.

Old Post 01-22-13 11:12PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

According to Jim Bender's tweet, top 5 seeds are:

1 - Stoughton
2 - McEwen
3 - Fowler
4 - Lyburn
5 - McNamee

Old Post 01-29-13 12:47PM
TDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDR Click here to Send TDR a Private Message Find more posts by TDR Add TDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by TDR
According to Jim Bender's tweet, top 5 seeds are:

1 - Stoughton
2 - McEwen
3 - Fowler
4 - Lyburn
5 - McNamee

Thanks TDR. Pretty predictable I think. I wonder if this is the year when someone out of the top 5 wins this thing. Unlikely yes, but you never know.

Old Post 01-29-13 02:35PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shewster
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

yeah, id love to see the playdowns in winnipeg. That way i could actually go and watch some matches

So, just curious, what's stopping you from going to watch in some of the other venues?

Old Post 01-29-13 10:23PM
Shewster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shewster Click here to Send Shewster a Private Message Find more posts by Shewster Add Shewster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDR
Hitting Paint

A tweet from Derek Samagalski shows the draw: http://twitter.com/DSamagalski/stat...7452161/photo/1

Old Post 01-30-13 10:25AM