Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2023 Mens Worlds
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Can I also just say how hood it is to see this norway resurgence. Men and women doing well and the juniors both had strong results. Whatever they've been doing in Norway these last few years it's working

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-23 12:14PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Okay ive seen the edin shot and while it's good it's not even close to the best shot I've seen this year, even at this event.

Congrats to norway on a huge win. They've set themselves up really well to finish top 6 , even get the bye

There's a lot of talk about edin, mouat and schwaller . Think ramsfell is now truly ready to add his name to that group. He's quietly under rated but been build8ng to this point these last few years. Very organic progression

Old Post 04-05-23 12:22PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agree, good to see Norway’s resurgence. Has there been any tribute to Thomas Ulsrud as this is the first championship since his passing. He had the the record for the most wins at the worlds at some point.

Old Post 04-05-23 12:25PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

New Zealand won their first ever men's worlds game - with a steal of 3 in the 10th to win 11-8 over Germany.

And Norway have just beaten Sweden in the extra end 8-7.

Looks like the final 6 into the playoffs (ranking hard to call) will be

Sweden
Switzerland
Norway
Scotland
Canada

plus one out of Italy, Japan, Czechs or US.

But everyone still has five games to play.

Last edited by Martym on 04-05-23 at 01:28PM

Old Post 04-05-23 12:27PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
I was just about to come in here and say Edin's human (For completely missing an open draw against 3 counters in the 9th)

BUT THEN, he just went and made the best shot I've ever seen to take us to an extra

Yes - anyone who hasn't seen Edin's shot in the 10th absolutely needs to hunt down video of it - because it is a shot that will change the game of curling going forward.
It was amazing.

I am not at all a fan of all of the recent rule changes - this is just the various curling administrations trying to 'make their mark' on curling by creating these radical changes.

But the kind of change that this Edin shot will hopefully make in the game is something I am absolutely in favour of, as it shows that the impossible is possible, and is therefore a natural evolution of the game.
Wonderful to see...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 04-05-23 12:28PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Yes - anyone who hasn't seen Edin's shot in the 10th absolutely needs to hunt down video of it - because it is a shot that will change the game of curling going forward.
It was amazing.

I am not at all a fan of all of the recent rule changes - this is just the various curling administrations trying to 'make their mark' on curling by creating these radical changes.

But the kind of change that this Edin shot will hopefully make in the game is something I am absolutely in favour of, as it shows that the impossible is possible, and is therefore a natural evolution of the game.
Wonderful to see...

Its just been posted on the world curling tv youtube page.

The commentators said it was the best shot they had ever seen!

https://youtu.be/1iEnf3brmYs

Old Post 04-05-23 12:50PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Okay ive seen the edin shot and while it's good it's not even close to the best shot I've seen this year, even at this event.

Congrats to norway on a huge win. They've set themselves up really well to finish top 6 , even get the bye

There's a lot of talk about edin, mouat and schwaller . Think ramsfell is now truly ready to add his name to that group. He's quietly under rated but been build8ng to this point these last few years. Very organic progression

Show me any shots better than that Edin spinner? Absolutely nuts.

A lot of teams would have just shook hands and walked off or tried a Hail Mary runback

Old Post 04-05-23 01:15PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Martym

Its just been posted on the world curling tv youtube page.

The commentators said it was the best shot they had ever seen!

https://youtu.be/1iEnf3brmYs

Russ Howard also said that it's the best shot he'd ever seen. And he's seen a few shots in his life...

We've all seen many great shots over the years - the powerful 20 foot runback doubles, the delicate through the hole taps, etc.... some of the shots that Nichols and Gushue made yesterday vs. Japan without disturbing their own stones were great, as well...
But what makes the Edin shot so great is that it's so unusual and uncommon. And that it will likely change the game - we'll probably see these kinds of shots being tried more and more often now. Teams will definitely be practicing the shot in practice, and it will make its way into games.

I figure it will be to curling kind of what 'the Michigan' has been to hockey.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 04-05-23 01:25PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

That shot of Edin's makes a triple run back to take out 4 rocks out of the house with 5 second peel weight; to be just pretty good. Joking yes but over time shots like the Hackner shot and Schmirler's in off and Jones's in off to be kinda basic compared to that. Nick probably wishes he has made the draw in 9 however instead of having to make that one.

Old Post 04-05-23 01:43PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Yeah... he throws his draw to full 4 - a very routine shot at this level - through the house, then in the next end makes the impossible possible.

Old Post 04-05-23 01:48PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

Show me any shots better than that Edin spinner? Absolutely nuts.

A lot of teams would have just shook hands and walked off or tried a Hail Mary runback

From a technical skill standpoint yes, it probably is. But for me when I think of best shots ive ever seen i talk about shots I could watch over and over again.i can think of hundreds that I've seen before and can again and still enjoy it like the first time ive seen it .

The bingyu Wang tap against 3 in the 2008 worlds round Robin against jones.
The shot jones made to win her first scotties in 2005
The draw pat Simmons made to win his brier
The angled raise pick dilsat yildiz made to beat Korea at this year's women's worlds
The absolute perfect freeze mouat made against koe facing 3 with no guards out front at the canadian open a few years ago
These are a few examples

This isn't one of those shots. Ive seen it. Fine. If i can help it i never will again .

Last edited by misty1 on 04-05-23 at 02:56PM

Old Post 04-05-23 02:47PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

not the first spinner i have seen, but was wild for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbcli...eature=youtu.be

Old Post 04-05-23 03:30PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

I will give the WCF 1 yr to ban this shot. WCF doesn't like to be made fools of.

Old Post 04-05-23 03:58PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Shuster hit5 losses with a loss to italy. Back against the wall now and faces Canada tonight. Should be a good one

Old Post 04-05-23 04:34PM
JMan
Harvey Hacksmasher

No doubt in my mind that Edin's shot was one of (if not THE best) I've ever seen.
Most teams would have shook hands and not thrown the last rock.
I thought there was absolutely no shot for two there.
One of those jaw dropping moments I will never forget.

Old Post 04-05-23 04:43PM
JMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMan Find more posts by JMan Add JMan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade
I will give the WCF 1 yr to ban this shot. WCF doesn't like to be made fools of.

While it wouldn't surprise me if they try to ban it - in order to show how 'important' they are... I don't see any legitimate way that they could ban it.
Are they going to limit the number of rotations a rock can have? That would be ridiculous - plus the fact that they'd have to have someone counting the rotations - or invent yet another inefficient device to count the rotations. Hell, the 'Eye on the hog' (hog line violation device) fails at least twice every game, so their record with new technological inventions is rather poor.

I don't see how this shot is making fools of the WCF, though. It's a legitimate shot. Because of the success of Edin's shot today, it will be tried by other teams in games - but it will likely only be successful less than 10% of the time.

Old Post 04-05-23 04:50PM
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

While it wouldn't surprise me if they try to ban it - in order to show how 'important' they are... I don't see any legitimate way that they could ban it.
Are they going to limit the number of rotations a rock can have? That would be ridiculous - plus the fact that they'd have to have someone counting the rotations - or invent yet another inefficient device to count the rotations. Hell, the 'Eye on the hog' (hog line violation device) fails at least twice every game, so their record with new technological inventions is rather poor.

I don't see how this shot is making fools of the WCF, though. It's a legitimate shot. Because of the success of Edin's shot today, it will be tried by other teams in games - but it will likely only be successful less than 10% of the time.

Seems to me 10% is probably high. I really don't understand how they even thought that was possible. They must have tried something similar in practice. The spin and weight is one thing but to know how the struck rock would react is unbelievable. However they did lose the game.

Old Post 04-05-23 05:09PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by alex

Seems to me 10% is probably high. I really don't understand how they even thought that was possible. They must have tried something similar in practice. The spin and weight is one thing but to know how the struck rock would react is unbelievable. However they did lose the game.

they do practice it, and they have done it in at least one game this season, as per Cathy G.

Old Post 04-05-23 05:49PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Think at this point Switzerland, Norway, Canada and Sweden are safe to top 6.

The other 2 are tough to call. Race between Japan , Italy , US and Scotland.

Japan has a tough Close and they haven't beaten any of the other top teams so we will see if they can hol on

Italy have byfar the lightest close.switzerland, Canada, Scotland , Norway and the US already out of the way

Scotland been shaky but somehow 5-2. But till have Canada ,and Norway to come

US at 5 but never count Shuster out

Think 5 will be the cutoff, outside cnce of 4.

Think top 6 will be Canada , Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy and scotland

Old Post 04-05-23 07:14PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Think at this point Switzerland, Norway, Canada and Sweden are safe to top 6.

The other 2 are tough to call. Race between Japan , Italy , US and Scotland.

Japan has a tough Close and they haven't beaten any of the other top teams so we will see if they can hol on

Italy have byfar the lightest close.switzerland, Canada, Scotland , Norway and the US already out of the way

Scotland been shaky but somehow 5-2. But till have Canada ,and Norway to come

US at 5 but never count Shuster out

Think 5 will be the cutoff, outside cnce of 4.

Think top 6 will be Canada , Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy and scotland

Scotland should at worst be 7-5, and has already played Japan/US/Italy, beating all of them. They're in for sure unless they can't manage to beat 2 of these between Czech, Korea and NZ - Canada game could be a wash.

Italy still has Sweden and Japan left. I'm thinking the Japan/Italy game could decide the 6th spot..

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-05-23 at 07:33PM

Old Post 04-05-23 07:27PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Canada has already given up with the lame story of water creepage into the building ruining the ice for the rest of the tournament.

I risk my entire reputation on my thesis that Canada or USA cannot possibly win the Mens 2023 World Curling Championship.

The Oligrachs won't let them.

When are they going to let someone new win the Brier?! Or do these other teams have to pass some sort of test or get past a waiting period?

Old Post 04-05-23 07:39PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Scotland just got a big 5 against Korea. leading 5-1 going to the 4th.

Old Post 04-05-23 07:53PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I like how our guys look so clean cut compared with skip loudmouth and team tattoo...

Old Post 04-05-23 08:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Canada has already given up with the lame story of water creepage into the building ruining the ice for the rest of the tournament.

I risk my entire reputation on my thesis that Canada or USA cannot possibly win the Mens 2023 World Curling Championship.

The Oligrachs won't let them.
[/QUOT

Your best buddy Trump on line 2. Wants you to join him for his 34 counts and counting.

Can you count to 34?

Trump voice

Can't win curling....Best curlers ever...Conspiracy......Maybe the WCF paid everyone off....like I did

#getreal

Old Post 04-05-23 09:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911

they do practice it, and they have done it in at least one game this season, as per Cathy G.

Few observations.
I highly doubt you will see Edins spectacular spin shot a regular occurrence at this caliber of play.It has been and always will be (1) a desperation shot or (2) a trick let’s shake hands shot. It is very impressive to see perhaps the best player in the world pull it off though.
Can’t help but notice how well E J Harnden has fit in with Gushue team.Makes a ton of shots and appears to be excellent team player.
What’s with the USA Shuster team..seems listless and little or no compete level.
IMHO 5 to 6’ of curl is too much…but ice is consistent.

Two things can happen..one is bad

Last edited by Prawnpuller on 04-05-23 at 10:17PM

Old Post 04-05-23 10:10PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote