Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022-23 GSOC Season
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

2022-23 GSOC Season

Since there aren't many threads about the Slams, I thought I would create one for the remainder of this GSOC season. This will also hopefully encourage actual users with actual curling knowledge to post. (Mainly, I don't want to have to join twitter to have some online curling banter lol)

As we head into the final major of the season - the Players', and the Champions Cup in May (which this will be the last year for that event - not sad about that btw), we have a few teams vying for the Pinty'$ Cup.
Edin will likely have a better tournament based off their World's disappointment, plus they are in 1st for the Cup, and will want that big cheque more than ever. Mouat could easily lose every game this week (he already has lost to Retornaz this am), the drop off would be natural after being on such a high.
Gushue/Schwaller/Retornaz/Ramsfjell could all be hit or miss.
I'm predicting one of Dunstone/Bottcher/Carruthers or Edin to win the prestigious Players'.

On the Women's side:
Hard to argue with going with Einarson. She has made the final of every major/slam this season, and the last six events going back to the 2022 post-World's slams. She will be hungry to continue this trend in Toronto. I think realistically, Homan is the only team that can surpass Einarson for the Pinty's Cup, but Rachel has never won the Players' before, and with Wilkes not there, I doubt we see this missing major be added to her resume this year.
I don't see Hasselborg or Tirinzoni making much noise this week. Though, if Anna didn't have two pregnant teammates, and one recent post-partum teammate, I would have been betting on them to win the Players' after a disappointing World's in Sweden.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-23 04:00PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: 2022-23 GSOC Season

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
the Champions Cup in May (which this will be the last year for that event - not sad about that btw)

Are you saying that there will be no more Champions Cup after 2023? Where can I read more about this?

Old Post 04-11-23 04:12PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Day 1 Results

Men's
Koe d. Bottcher
Retornaz d. Mouat
Dunstone d. Carruthers
Edin d. Dropkin
Whyte d. Schwaller
Gushue d. Ramsfjell

Women's
Gim d. Jones
Lawes d. Carey* (Team Scheidigger)
Grandy d. Hasselborg
Fujisawa d. Tirinzoni
Peterson d. Einarson
Wrana d. Homan

Old Post 04-11-23 09:50PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I was there tonight, Team Einarson looked very average playing Peterson who only had 3 players! Homan made silly mistakes and strategy decisions.

Old Post 04-11-23 10:03PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Chelsea Carey and Jamie Sinclair both playing together subbing for Team Scheidegger warms my heart.

Old Post 04-11-23 11:02PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

It's almost as if scheduling a grand slam 2 weeks after the womens worlds and 2 days after the men's is stupid. I'm glad to see the champions cup is going . It was pointless. Now the players can be pushed back to give worlds teams more time to recover

Last edited by misty1 on 04-12-23 at 09:07AM

Old Post 04-12-23 09:04AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I don't know of teams are under some kind of obligation to play here but if I was team mouat I'd have skipped this. They didnt even have 48 hours between winning worlds and playing their first match here . It wouldn't even have had time to set in before they had to pack and get to Toronto .

Old Post 04-12-23 09:13AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I don't know of teams are under some kind of obligation to play here but if I was team mouat I'd have skipped this. They didnt even have 48 hours between winning worlds and playing their first match here . It wouldn't even have had time to set in before they had to pack and get to Toronto .

They're already in Canada. Short train ride isn't much and they're deep in the hunt for the Pinty's Cup bottom prizes so some points could be worth 25k or something. Also Edin almost wn this event last year coming off his World's win.

The bigger issue is Mouat himself needs to be in Korea in two weeks.

Old Post 04-12-23 09:54AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I know it's not a long travel and I know what edin did. However I think it's a very different thing to come back from winning world titles number 6 to winning your first, accomplishing that life long dream.

You then have to do all that press, of course go out and celebrate . Then pack and get to play your next match all in not even 48 hours.

That's not even enough time to truly digest what you've done

Again, I would think it a good idea to just pull pit of this and take the time to take it all in.

But that's just my opinion
They are defending Champs do maybe there's that factor of wanting to give it a go.

Theyre tired though. They're 0-2 to start. And as you say Bruce has to get to Korea after this. Then lets add on the champions trophy which team mouat will compete in. Think for him in particular taking a break would have been smart

Last edited by misty1 on 04-12-23 at 11:23AM

Old Post 04-12-23 11:18AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The schedule is bonkers, no question about that. I just think they have less choice in these matters given the circumstances. Also when you plan your schedule you can't know you'll win worlds and by then you know you're set.

Old Post 04-12-23 12:39PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Grandy 13-0 Einarson. Wow.

Old Post 04-12-23 03:43PM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

I'm really failing on my Einarson pick lolol.

As to the schedule of the season, I think we can agree it is not ideal. Here's my thoughts: If they want to make a more accommodating curling schedule, then they need to have just the four majors, they’re already dropping champions cup, I’d also recommend dropping the tour challenge. AND end the season with World Championships.

GSOC/CurlCan/WCF timeline:

Sep 16-24: European Championships C
Sep 18-24: *Canadian Mixed 4-person*
Oct 10-15: GSOC National
Oct 23-29: Pan Continental Championships A+B
Nov 4-12: *World Mixed 4-person*
Nov 18-26: European Championships A+B
Dec 3-9: Canadian Seniors
Dec 5-10: GSOC Masters
Dec 12-17: **Canadian Mixed Doubles**
Jan 9-14: GSOC Canadian Open
Feb 9-18: Scotties
Feb 23-Mar 3: Brier
Mar 12-17: GSOC Players
Mar 23-31: World Women’s
Apr 6-14: World Men's
Apr 20-28: World Mixed doubles/World Seniors

*Right now the Canadian mixed 4-person event runs after the Worlds, thus the winner essentially has to wait a full year to compete in the worlds. Why not make the flip? You get a little over a month between Canadian champs moving onto the upcoming Worlds. Since 2021 they made the Canadian seniors precede the world seniors by a few months, instead of a full year (i.e when Colleen Jones won the 2016 Canadian Seniors in April 2016, she earned the right to rep Canada at the 2017 Worlds, in April 2017..)
**You have six days to run a Canadian Mixed Doubles Championships, that could fit in really anywhere. However, if they’re trying to make this a legitimate event and sport, they need to make sure the best will be there. And I’m not sure if the timing works for that to happen unless you run in between the Masters and the Canadian Open, since you’ll also need to factor in provincial/territory championships between mid December and end of January. You could also run it between the Brier and the Players, but see point made previously. Or just not have 32 teams enter. Less teams = less time needed.

I didn't include Wheelchair events or Junior events, mainly and simply because they are of no interest to me, but I'm sure Curling Canada could find a way to not have our Canadian Junior champs have to wait 10 months to represent Canada..

Old Post 04-12-23 04:30PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I was there tonight, Team Einarson looked very average playing Peterson who only had 3 players! Homan made silly mistakes and strategy decisions.

What was the attendance like? It's really a shame the slams don't put people in the seats given that it is typically the best curling teams in the world.

Old Post 04-12-23 07:22PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Day 2 results:
Men's
Carruthers d. Dunstone 7-6
Bottcher d. Dropkin 6-4
Gushue d. Koe 7-3
Schwaller d. Retornaz 6-4
Ramsfjell d. Dropkin 8-3
Whyte d. Carruthers 3-2
Schwaller d. Dunstone 6-2
Gushue d. Edin 7-2
After Day 2, Gushue, Whyte, and Schwaller are the top 3 with multiple teams at 1-1 behind them.

Women's
Hasselborg d. Jones 7-5
Lawes d. Tirinzoni 7-2
Wrana d. Fujisawa 5-4
Grandy d. Einarson 13-0
Homan d. Lawes 6-4
Jones d. Peterson 9-6
Wrana d. Carey 6-2
Einarson d. Gim 6-5
After Day 2, Wrana Grandy, and Lawes are top 3, with again, multiple teams at 1-1 behind them.

Sportsnet coverage will begin tomorrow, so hopefully we get to see some good curling! FYI, the Thurs/Fri morning draws will not be broadcast as per the GSOC website.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-12-23 at 11:18PM

Old Post 04-12-23 11:12PM
Soliso47
Knee-Slider

Every team tried their best. bitlife will help you have the most realistic life experiences.

Old Post 04-13-23 12:24AM
Soliso47 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Soliso47 Find more posts by Soliso47 Add Soliso47 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Is it the weather or something because it honestly looks like none of the teams even want to be playing at this event.

Old Post 04-13-23 01:15PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: 2022-23 GSOC Season

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Are you saying that there will be no more Champions Cup after 2023? Where can I read more about this?

Answering my own question: YES!

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/e...lam-of-curling/

Old Post 04-13-23 01:45PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1

Maybe they see gold and silver going vertical while the US $ goes to 0 and say to themselves:

"Whats the point of this?"

Can you explain what you mean by this I don't speak insane nutjob.

Old Post 04-13-23 03:09PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

good article on the slams..
https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ar...lam-of-curling/

Old Post 04-13-23 03:22PM
CURLER1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Hmm. Jen Jones bashing. I wonder if qurlingwatcher isn't a banned user of yesterday?

Old Post 04-13-23 06:39PM
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: 2022-23 GSOC Season

quote:

Entirely sensible - its crazy having a slam start within 48 hours of the men's worlds final - and the world champions were first on in an 11.30am slot on the Tuesday.

Several players will also be heading off to the mixed doubles worlds in Korea next week after it finishes . As is the case each year given timings.

The year ending champions cup in mid May is more than enough.

Old Post 04-13-23 07:41PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: 2022-23 GSOC Season

quote:

Sometimes it’s better to remain silent and thought to be a fool than to post more stupid and remove all doubt.

Two things can happen..one is bad

Old Post 04-13-23 07:57PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2022-23 GSOC Season

quote:
Originally posted by Prawnpuller
Sometimes it’s better to remain silent and thought to be a fool than to post more stupid and remove all doubt.

There's nothing wrong with answering your own questions. In fact, I'd say most people should try to do that.

Old Post 04-13-23 08:05PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Day 3 Results

Men's
Koe d. Ramsfjell 9-5
Retornaz d. Whyte 5-3
Edin d. Bottcher 8-3
Dusntone d. Mouat 5-1
Retornaz d. Carruthers 8-2
Koe d. Dropkin 8-2
Bottcher d. Gushue 5-4
Schwaller d. Mouat 7-5
Standings after Day 3:
Gushue, Schwaller, Koe, Retornaz all at 3-1. Whyte, Edin, and Dusntone right behind at 2-1.

Women's
Homan d. Fujisawa 7-4
Peterson d. Grandy 9-2
Tirinzoni d. Wrana 8-7
Gim d. Hasselborg
Grandy d. Jones 8-3
Fujisawa d. Lawes 5-4
Einarson d. Hasselborg 6-5
Tirinzoni d. Carey 6-5
Standings after Day 3:
Grandy and Wrana both at 3-1, with Homan, Gim, and Peterson following at 2-1.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-13-23 at 10:08PM

Old Post 04-13-23 10:05PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1

So Rob Corte is really excited about prize money NOT increasing and # of events DECREASING. Got it. Any more "good" news, Rob?

Total prize money will not change and remain at $2.1 million next season with the purse from the Champions Cup distributed across the other tournaments.

“We’re going to take a step back for one year, go to five events, re-evaluate the whole Grand Slam calendar, consider a lot of these new opportunities that have come that will allow us to invest and grow the Grand Slam of Curling,” Corte added. “We’re going to come back stronger in the 2024-25 season.”

Events decreasing and not losing the money allocated for the Champions Cup, is far from a bad thing. It is essentially an increase. How is this confusing for you?

Old Post 04-13-23 10:10PM