Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022-23 GSOC Season
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1

Maybe they see gold and silver going vertical while the US $ goes to 0 and say to themselves:

"Whats the point of this?"

1.Silver price was higher in 2020 and 2021 and 2022. It is a volatile, highly manipulated metal.
2.Gold was almost as high with the same exact trajectory in 2020 before it calmed down.
3.The US dollar was lower in Nov and Jan and is 10 cents higher than this time last year.
4.The idea that curlers are putting in less effort due to these prices is wacky ludicrous idiocy.
5.Why would these prices matter since you contend that the oligarchs fix curling?
6.How do you know the skips(rockstars) are getting all he money? For some teams maybe they do, for others I'm sure it's carved up 4 ways equally.
7.Where are you buying your weed? I definitely want to try some since it must be 10x more powerful than normal.

Last edited by hogged again on 04-13-23 at 10:39PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-23 10:36PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Are the Mouat team all hungover from the worlds or something? 0-4 and rooted bottom of the standings

Old Post 04-14-23 12:27AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ironhide
Knee-Slider

It's clear. When you have the information for 2023, let's me know. You can contact me in avatar game.

Old Post 04-14-23 12:28AM
Ironhide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ironhide Find more posts by Ironhide Add Ironhide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
Are the Mouat team all hungover from the worlds or something? 0-4 and rooted bottom of the standings

In short, yes.

But some additional info for you/anyone who cares.
Since 2006 the Players has been held AFTER the Worlds.
The world champion’s results at the Players goes as follows:

2006: Murdoch DNP
2007: G. Howard QF
2008: Martin RUP
2009: Murdoch DNP, as no foreign teams were invited.
2010: Koe SF
2011: Stoughton QF
2012: Howard RUP
2013: Edin, Lost in tiebreaker to reach QF
2014: Ulsrud DNP
2015: Edin DNQ 0-5 RR record
2016: Koe QF
2017: Gushue SF
2018: Edin RUP
2019: Edin QF
2021: Edin QF
2022: Edin RUP
2023: Mouat DNQ RR record tbd
Not one of them has won, and that trend will continue for at least another season.

ETA: the womens results
2006: Norberg DNP
2007: Scott RUP
2008: Jones DNQ for QF
2009: Bingu Wang DNP, no foreign teams
2010: Schopp DNP
2011: Norberg DNP
2012: Ott DNP
2013: Muirhead WON
2014: Feltscher DNP
2015: Patz QF
2016: Feltscher DNP
2017: Homan QF
2018: Jones RUP
2019: Tirinzoni DNQ for QF, 1-4 RR record
2021: Tirinzoni SF (Players was before the Worlds this year)
2022: Tirinzoni QF
2023: Tirinzoni TBD
Team Muirhead is so far, the only team to win the Worlds and Players in the same season since the slam has been held after the World's.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-14-23 at 03:33AM

Old Post 04-14-23 03:08AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anient1986
Knee-Slider

thanks for the list

Old Post 04-14-23 09:48AM
Anient1986 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Anient1986 Find more posts by Anient1986 Add Anient1986 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The real question for me is who gets the Pinty's Cup. There's a 23 point difference between winning and not qualifying, so that's the max gap someone could make up. But the gap between winning and the quaterfinalists is just 14 points. Semi-finalists and winner is 10. Finalist and winner is 6.

On the men's side, currently Edin (35) leads Gushue by 4 points (31) and next is Retornaz/Bottcher (24) and Dunstone (23). Mouat is next but won't qualify so those are the contenders. Gushue and Edin look safe to qualify, though, which reduces the max gain to 14 points. So if anyone other than Gushue is going to overtake Edin they need to win the event and hope Edin loses in the quarters. Edin has to tie the round with Gushue to win, whereas Gushue needs to place one round higher than Edin to overtake.

On the women's side Einarson (39) has a big lead over Homan (31), followed by Gim (26) and a whack of teams in the teens. Homan and Einarson but seem likely to qualify, though, which would eliminate everyone else except technically Gim. Homan will then need to place at least two spots better than Einarson or she gets it.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 04-14-23 at 10:01AM

Old Post 04-14-23 09:55AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1

What?

I actually buy Pinty chicken wings and am signing up in a new curling club this fall after the local one burned down in a roofing accident 2 years ago.

That means I'm allowed to critique the "Connor McDavid" superstar skip model the Toronto media has pushed on curling fans.

Where did the notion that you have to be a curler (past or present) to have an opinion on curling/curlers?

I am a huge CFL fan but because I’ve never played football and won’t in the near future I can’t have an opinion?

Old Post 04-14-23 10:44AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
There's a 23 point difference between winning and not qualifying

It's actually 25 points difference if the team that didn't qualify is winless.

Old Post 04-14-23 11:10AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

It's actually 25 points difference if the team that didn't qualify is winless.

Edin has already won one game (now up to 3), so the max anyone can gain on him is 23 points. But he's qualified so it doesn't matter.

Old Post 04-14-23 11:41AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Pinty's Cup gives money to top 4, so generally speaking every point matters.

Old Post 04-14-23 11:45AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Pinty's Cup gives money to top 4, so generally speaking every point matters.

We were talking about who would WIN the cup and you turned it into "who will place fourth" just so your point wouldn't be irrelevant. Why?!

Old Post 04-14-23 12:36PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
" just so your point wouldn't be irrelevant. Why?!

It's not about my point being relevant or not. It's a fact that generally speaking the gap between winner and a team that didn't qualify can be as many as 25 points.

Old Post 04-14-23 01:44PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

It's not about my point being relevant or not. It's a fact that generally speaking the gap between winner and a team that didn't qualify can be as many as 25 points.

Do you ever reflect on why it is so many people get so angry at you all the time? If I went through life being that much trouble I'd be looking long and hard at why.

Old Post 04-14-23 02:17PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Do you ever reflect on why it is so many people get so angry at you all the time?

I acknowledge that I sometimes post opinions instead of facts, but this time is 100% facts. If you choose to be angry for being factually corrected, then that's on you.

You said "There's a 23 point difference between winning and not qualifying". That's factually incorrect. If a team is winless, that gap is 25 points. This year at 2023 Players women's tournament, there will be a team that didn't qualify after winning 2 games, so that gap is only 21 points.

Old Post 04-14-23 02:40PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

I acknowledge that I sometimes post opinions instead of facts, but this time is 100% facts. If you choose to be angry for being factually corrected, then that's on you.

You said "There's a 23 point difference between winning and not qualifying". That's factually incorrect. If a team is winless, that gap is 25 points. This year at 2023 Players women's tournament, there will be a team that didn't qualify after winning 2 games, so that gap is only 21 points.

There's 25 points if a team is winless. Is Nik Edin winless?

But that's not even the point, I already responded and then you doubled down by talking about fourth place. Picking a fight over something that wasn't even discussed.

Old Post 04-14-23 03:29PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Have never been a huge Koe fan but now with the addition of Tardi - a recent All-Star Third - and in anticipation of the upcoming addition of Gauthier, I like Koe's chances of multible wins in 2023/2024.

And Koe's prospects for winning gold in the current Players' don't seem to be too shabby either.

Old Post 04-14-23 08:16PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

I too was not a Koe fan..with his old team there was far too much input from everyone…now the young bucks seem to buy in to his shot calling more and a lot less time is wasted.
Being from BC I am pleased that Tyler has fit in so well at the third spot…kinda sorry to see the newcomer(next year) Gauthier leave his BC team.They likely had a bright future but hey his future with Koe won’t be too shabby either…Go Koe lol
Nice win over Edin.
two things can happen..one is bad.

Old Post 04-14-23 08:59PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Is it just me or do the announcers/commentators on both channels constantly make up excuses for missed shots? Instead of the old different path, sharp pebble, dished ice, fast rock slow rock sharp rock.....tell the truth. They dumped it a foot inside and were 10 feet light. No it didn't pick.
Even the best miss shots. It's like they're afraid to hurt some feelings. Commentate. Don't make excuses.

Like a shank or pull hook in golf. They don't blame it on the ball or the club. They say he just pull hooked that one into the water.
These players know when they've scr@wed the pooch. Tell the viewers they did just that.

Old Post 04-14-23 09:01PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Round robin play wraps up on Day 4:
Men's results
Edin d. Ramsfjell 7-5
Dunstone d. Whyte 7-5
Gushue d. Dropkin 9-3
Schwaller d. Carruthers 7-5
Retornaz d. Dunstone 5-3
Koe d. Edin 6-5
Whyte d. Mouat 6-5
Ramsfjell d. Bottcher 4-3
Playoffs almost set. SF#1 Retornaz gets the winner of Edin/Schwaller. Dunstone/Whyte in the tiebreaker and the winner plays Koe, with that winner playing Gushue in the other SF.

Women's results
Gim d. Peterson 5-2
Wrana d. Lawes 10-4
Carey d. Homan 6-5
Einarson d. Jones 5-4
Gim d. Grandy 7-4
Peterson d. Hasselborg 7-6
Tirinzoni d. Homan 7-1
Fujisawa d. Carey 9-4
Playoffs almost set: Gim vs the winner of Einarson/Fujisawa in one SF. Tiebreaker between Grandy/Tirinzoni. That winner gets Peterson, with the winner of that QF getting Wrana in the other SF.

Both tiebreakers happening at 11:30am e.t

Old Post 04-14-23 10:40PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
SF#1 Retornaz gets the winner of Edin/Schwaller. Dunstone/Whyte in the tiebreaker and the winner plays Koe, with that winner playing Gushue in the other SF.

Gim vs the winner of Einarson/Fujisawa in one SF. Tiebreaker between Grandy/Tirinzoni. That winner gets Peterson, with the winner of that QF getting Wrana in the other SF.

Both tiebreakers happening at 11:30am e.t

I think teams reseed for semifinal round based on Sportsnet and Grand Slams graphics (Retornaz & Gim get lower winning seed of QF).

Old Post 04-14-23 11:48PM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by FleuryFan

I think teams reseed for semifinal round based on Sportsnet and Grand Slams graphics (Retornaz & Gim get lower winning seed of QF).

Oh yes, I think you're right. I always just quickly look at the layout and assume the brackets flow naturally to the right haha.

Old Post 04-15-23 03:07AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Rough outing for mouat as the word champs, going 0-5. Think that's the first time they've gone winless at a slam

Not sure I though they'd go winless but I'm not surprised to see them miss playoffs. As I said before I'm not sure how smart it was to play here. Chasing that pintys cup was the motivator but not sure how realistic it was

Perhaps somewhat significantly is team Whyte now as 2 wins in a row over mouat. Should give the good confidence going into next season
Bruce has mixed doubles worlds now ten he will come back for Champions trophy. Not sure what to expect of mouat there but wouldn't be surprised at a similar result

Old Post 04-15-23 07:10AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The team should be better at Champions. Mouat might be burned out personally, though.

Old Post 04-15-23 10:40AM
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Rough outing for mouat as the word champs, going 0-5. Think that's the first time they've gone winless at a slam

Not sure I though they'd go winless but I'm not surprised to see them miss playoffs. As I said before I'm not sure how smart it was to play here. Chasing that pintys cup was the motivator but not sure how realistic it was

Perhaps somewhat significantly is team Whyte now as 2 wins in a row over mouat. Should give the good confidence going into next season
Bruce has mixed doubles worlds now ten he will come back for Champions trophy. Not sure what to expect of mouat there but wouldn't be surprised at a similar result

Bruce as you say is now off to Korea to link up with Jen Dodds - so perhaps the change of environment/discipline will do him some good. Yannick Schwaller is also competing in Korea as its Sebastian Arman.

It must be odd to being top of the world last Sunday to losing 5-0 and on the basis of last night even top team in Scotland.

Bruce had quite a few tight games at the Scottish championships - and only won the final against Team Craik 7-6.

I assume they will by the GB Olympics squad in 2026 - but what happens if Team Whyte or another Scottish rink start surpassing them as the Scottish champs or on the tour?!

Last edited by Martym on 04-15-23 at 12:02PM

Old Post 04-15-23 11:23AM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Is it just me or do the announcers/commentators on both channels constantly make up excuses for missed shots? Instead of the old different path, sharp pebble, dished ice, fast rock slow rock sharp rock.....tell the truth. They dumped it a foot inside and were 10 feet light. No it didn't pick.
Even the best miss shots. It's like they're afraid to hurt some feelings. Commentate. Don't make excuses.

Like a shank or pull hook in golf. They don't blame it on the ball or the club. They say he just pull hooked that one into the water.
These players know when they've scr@wed the pooch. Tell the viewers they did just that.

I don’t find Sportsnet broadcasts to be like this. Especially watching the Einarson Fujisawa game right now. Joan and Mike aren’t sugarcoating.

Old Post 04-15-23 05:48PM