Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022-23 GSOC Season
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Is it just me or do the announcers/commentators on both channels constantly make up excuses for missed shots?

Some people believe it's against etiquette to cheer for missed shots. Maybe some commentators take that to the next level and believe it's against etiquette to talk about players missing shots due to human errors, so they try to find other excuses to blame the misses on.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-15-23 06:10PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Einarson won Pinty's Cup. The rest of the top 4 for men's and women's are still up for grabs.

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/e...hip-semifinals/

Old Post 04-15-23 06:50PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

By my calculation the men's side is now as follows:

Edin - 46 (done)
Gushue - 46 minimum (making the final would lock it up)
Retornaz - 39 minimum (can only win if he wins the event and Gushue loses the semi)
Dunestone - 34 points (done, guaranteed 4th)

Everyone else is out.

If Gushue and Edin tie then Gushue wins as he placed higher at this event already.

Old Post 04-15-23 06:55PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Dunestone - 34 points (done, guaranteed 4th)

I don't think Dunstone is guaranteed 4th. Schwaller can still surpass Dunstone with a semifinal win.

.... and he just won. So did Tirinzoni. So now both Swiss men's and women's national champions are in the grand slam finals. Exciting times!

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-15-23 at 09:53PM

Old Post 04-15-23 09:21PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Koe d. Gushue and Schwaller d. Retornaz, booking their spots in the finals tomorrow. Koe will be looking for his second Players' title while Schwaller his first slam ever.

Tirinzoni d. Gim and Wrana d. Einarson to face off tomorrow for the championship. Both will be looking for their first Player's win. Wrana's would be first slam ever.

Old Post 04-15-23 10:11PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Gushue now officially declared as 2023 Pinty's Cup winner.

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/k...er-beater-shot/

I'll try to do the math. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Men's
#1 Gushue 31+15=46
#2 Edin 35+11=46
Schwaller 16+19=35 (+6=41 if wins)
Koe 14+19=33 (+6=39 if wins)
#4 Retornaz 24+15=39

Women's
#1 Einarson 39+15=54
#3 Gim 26+15=41
Tirinzoni 18+19=37 (+6=43 if wins)
Wranå 17+19=36 (+6=42 if wins)

Old Post 04-15-23 11:42PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Gushue will increase his world #1 ranking with the next ranking release. Followed by Mouat/Edin at 2, 3 or 4, depending on the outcome. I'm not sure what the exact value will be for the Players' rankings (since the Players' is a stronger field than the other slams), but Retornaz will be firmly in the top 5. He will be #4 if Koe wins, and #5 if Schwaller wins. Dunstone will be stagnant at #6. I think Schwaller will either be as low as #5 or as high as #2!
Based off last year's points, I think it'll be something like:
Gushue (407), Mouat (366), Edin (363), Schwaller (344 w/ a Loss or 369 w/ a Win), Retornaz (360), and Dunstone (339)

The battle for #1 between Einarson and Tirinzoni will be tight. I think Wrana gets up to #7 regardless of the result, thus surpassing fellow Swede, Hasselborg.
My guess for points after the finale is:
Einarson (436), Tirinzoni (426 w/ a Loss or 450 w/ a Win), Wrana (258 w/ a Loss or 282 w/ a Win), so yeah, she will be #7 either way.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-16-23 at 03:33AM

Old Post 04-16-23 03:13AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Gushue now officially declared as 2023 Pinty's Cup winner.

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/k...er-beater-shot/

I'll try to do the math. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Men's
#1 Gushue 31+15=46
#2 Edin 35+11=46
Schwaller 16+19=35 (+6=41 if wins)
Koe 14+19=33 (+6=39 if wins)
#4 Retornaz 24+15=39

Women's
#1 Einarson 39+15=54
#3 Gim 26+15=41
Tirinzoni 18+19=37 (+6=43 if wins)
Wranå 17+19=36 (+6=42 if wins)

Looks right to me! Impressive for teams like Wrana.

Old Post 04-16-23 10:44AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
Gushue will increase his world #1 ranking with the next ranking release. Followed by Mouat/Edin at 2, 3 or 4, depending on the outcome. I'm not sure what the exact value will be for the Players' rankings (since the Players' is a stronger field than the other slams), but Retornaz will be firmly in the top 5. He will be #4 if Koe wins, and #5 if Schwaller wins. Dunstone will be stagnant at #6. I think Schwaller will either be as low as #5 or as high as #2!
Based off last year's points, I think it'll be something like:
Gushue (407), Mouat (366), Edin (363), Schwaller (344 w/ a Loss or 369 w/ a Win), Retornaz (360), and Dunstone (339)

The battle for #1 between Einarson and Tirinzoni will be tight. I think Wrana gets up to #7 regardless of the result, thus surpassing fellow Swede, Hasselborg.
My guess for points after the finale is:
Einarson (436), Tirinzoni (426 w/ a Loss or 450 w/ a Win), Wrana (258 w/ a Loss or 282 w/ a Win), so yeah, she will be #7 either way.

I wonder if the Wrana team might get picked for Europeans and Worlds next year if they continue to outperform Hasselborg.

Old Post 04-16-23 12:29PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
I wonder if the Wrana team might get picked for Europeans and Worlds next year if they continue to outperform Hasselborg.

Wranå and Hasselborg had a best-of-7 World Women's trial to determine who gets to be Team Sweden. If you look at Team Hasselborg's season schedule, apparently there was also a best-of-7 Europeans trial.

https://www.teamhasselborg.com/schedule

I know that the World trial did get to game 7, because it was livestreamed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0OHFt7X4E

In other words, I don't think Wranå had to get picked. She just has to win the trials next season.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-16-23 at 01:46PM

Old Post 04-16-23 12:53PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Kevin Koe

No argument one of the most purest shooters ever. 2 great wins on the last shot for 2 straight wins. The Theissen leap at the end was priceless.

Old Post 04-16-23 07:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I don't understand people who says that the season needs to end with Worlds. I think the 2023 Players have been much better TV than World Men's and Women's.

I also like the fact that the Players have both men's and women's competing together in the same event. Watching both Swiss teams congratulating each other after their semifinal wins were awesome, and obviously something that can never happen at World Men's & Women's.

I also don't mind the fact that they're playing for money. I don't think that cheapens the wins compared to medals.

On the down side, I do agree that it's hard to distinguish all the slams in one season and it can be very hard to keep track which is which. I think I understand what makes Players and Champions Cup different from the rest, but I have no idea how the Masters is different from the Nationals.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-16-23 at 08:44PM

Old Post 04-16-23 08:38PM
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Kevin Koe

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
No argument one of the most purest shooters ever. 2 great wins on the last shot for 2 straight wins. The Theissen leap at the end was priceless.

I agree..Actually this game was a struggle all nite long as Tyler Tardi was not at his best most of the game.Was nice to see Thiesen’s reaction at the end of the game.Kudos to Koe for pulling off this unlikely win.So how much $$ did they win in total.

Old Post 04-16-23 11:46PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Kevin Koe

quote:
Originally posted by Prawnpuller
So how much $$ did they win in total.

Winner gets $40,000, runner-up gets $25,000.

Winner also climbs to 3rd place on Pinty's Cup, which is $25,000.

So by my math, Koe won $65,000. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Post 04-17-23 12:10AM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Speaking of prize money. The event had a purse of 350K, so 175K for each of the men's and women's events. However, based off my calculations, only 153K was paid out to the men's teams. 159K was paid out to the women's teams. So what happens with the 38k that wasn't required to be paid...? Anyone with any knowledge of this?

Old Post 04-17-23 03:19AM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
On the down side, I do agree that it's hard to distinguish all the slams in one season and it can be very hard to keep track which is which. I think I understand what makes Players and Champions Cup different from the rest, but I have no idea how the Masters is different from the Nationals.

The slams have a varied entry requirement, and all of them have 16 teams except the Players' and the upcoming Champions Cup - 12 teams, which the Champions Cup as you already know, will go on hiatus after this season (a permanent hiatus if the curlers get their way). Most slams will have a round robin format, but the Canadian open did a triple knockout this year. And the final two slams have just two pools and they play their own pool, unlike the first three slams of the season where there were four pools, and you played a different pool altogether.
They previously had the Elite 10, which was a match-play format. Until it was removed from the schedule after the 2018-19 season.

Golf majors are all played in the same format, the location is just different for the most part - so, it is essentially the same as the current GSOC events. Tennis is the same format as well, except the locations stay the same and the surface is different depending on which slam is happening.
I have never seen anyone question how to distinguish the events more/better, so please, spare us, and do not go on for days about the "changes" you'll want to propose.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-17-23 at 03:48AM

Old Post 04-17-23 03:40AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I have never seen anyone question how to distinguish the events more/better, so please, spare us, and do not go on for days about the "changes" you'll want to propose.

Well, Game of Stones podcast got that proposals thing covered when they talked about their ideas on how to improve the slams last year.

https://www.gameofstonespod.com/epi...prove-the-slams

Personally I prefer my own proposals for the slams, but of course I'm biased.

Old Post 04-17-23 05:10AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
16 teams/12 teams/round robin/triple knockout/crossover pools

None of those things really define a particular slam series in my eyes. Format can change while still preserving the essence of what an event is (i.e. Scotties/Brier).

Elite 10 with match play format is unique, I give you that, but the other slams aren't really well defined, except:

* Players invites highest ranked teams only, and seems to have find a permanent home in Toronto. Double points for Pinty's Cup.
* Champions Cup only invites champions from predetermined events, plus whatever random events have the strongest strength-of-field multipliers.
* Tour Challenge has concurrent Tier 1 and Tier 2. Winner of Tier 2 gets invited to next slam.

So I think I understand those 3, but I have no idea what the essence of the Masters/Nationals/Open is.

Old Post 04-17-23 05:27AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Then you are out of the loop. Clips is fully within the mainstream on this. The same-ness of the slams is something that often comes up. And it should--whatever minor differences exist are pointless. Everyone keeps saying the Players is the "best" but it's the same damn people as every other event. Oooo there are a couple less teams. Big deal.

I've always wanted to see the slams embrace simple things like the variety of curling ice. Why can't one slam be played on straighter ice (4' curl) and one on super swingy (6') and the rest can be a more normal 5'. Wouldn't it make for a bit more fun? Tennis does this already with court type and it is a significant difference in their slams.

Old Post 04-17-23 12:32PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

Then you are out of the loop. Clips is fully within the mainstream on this. The same-ness of the slams is something that often comes up. And it should--whatever minor differences exist are pointless. Everyone keeps saying the Players is the "best" but it's the same damn people as every other event. Oooo there are a couple less teams. Big deal.

I've always wanted to see the slams embrace simple things like the variety of curling ice. Why can't one slam be played on straighter ice (4' curl) and one on super swingy (6') and the rest can be a more normal 5'. Wouldn't it make for a bit more fun? Tennis does this already with court type and it is a significant difference in their slams.

Well the slams are the best teams at the time of cutoff to play so of course it will be the same teams. Isn’t that what you want, to have the best teams participate? Also, yes tennis does have different playing surfaces, but it has become increasingly similar with the court homogenization that has taken place. The swingy ice could be a comparison here I suppose.
I liked the match play when the elite 10 was a thing. I don’t see why you can’t have different events with different formats, whether it is match play, skins, and regular scoring Curling with varied round Robin, triple knockout setups.
I guess I’m not mainstream enough but that happens when you don’t follow Curling podcasts or Twitter in general.

Old Post 04-17-23 02:11PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

To be clear, I love the slams, and I watch as much of them as I can. It's just that after a while, they all get kind of muddled in my head and I can't keep track which is which.

I'm probably going to have the same problem next year with the expanded MD Super Series. I love mixed doubles, so I'm glad that it's expanding, but for sure I wouldn't be able to keep track of which event is which. I already forgot who won which event this year, even though I watched most of them.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-17-23 at 05:55PM

Old Post 04-17-23 05:52PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

'Actually this game was a struggle all nite long as Tyler Tardi was not at his best most of the game.' Prawnpuller

I guess we were not watching the same final. While Tardi did have an abysmal percentage after the first four ends, he turned that completely around during the last half of the game starting with a triple raise takeout in the 5th.

I scored him at an exemplary 90% over the last 4.

Old Post 04-17-23 09:46PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Koe scoring 3 in back to back 8th ends to win is quite something

Congrats to wrana on her first. Great to see her break though. I'm hoping she gets on the worlds or euros next season

Old Post 04-18-23 09:11AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Koe scoring 3 in back to back 8th ends to win is quite something

Congrats to wrana on her first. Great to see her break though. I'm hoping she gets on the worlds or euros next season

I'm not sure how the Swedes/Suiss/Scots decide who goes to Euro's but Anna and Agnes are both pregnant, and i cant imagine they'll be curling at the Euro's in the fall, so Wrana will likely get her shot there.

Old Post 04-18-23 07:55PM
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
'Actually this game was a struggle all nite long as Tyler Tardi was not at his best most of the game.' Prawnpuller

I guess we were not watching the same final. While Tardi did have an abysmal percentage after the first four ends, he turned that completely around during the last half of the game starting with a triple raise takeout in the 5th.

I scored him at an exemplary 90% over the last 4.

Hey look I am a big Tyler Tardi fan..good B C boy..but I am quite sure I saw him struggle miserably the first half of the game and almost cost them..Believe his stats were about 76% for the entire game..He did pick it up in 2nd half and alls well that ends well. Was just telling it like it is.

Old Post 04-18-23 09:55PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote