Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Sexual harassment in curling...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Sexual harassment in curling...

STATEMENT REGARDING SEXUAL HARRASSMENT COMPLAINTS:
In October 2020, during the Stu Sells Toronto Tankard and KW Fall Classic events in Kitchener-Waterloo, multiple complaints of sexual harassment were made over the language used by spectators who were also competitors in the men's competitions.
These events were hosted by the KW Granite Club and managed by CurlingZone and the Ontario Curling Tour.
Complaints were made following a pattern of comments deemed locker room talk in the past, and with a male-only audience, this conversation escalated.
The setup of the event allowed for a bar area with proper distancing, and players would stay and watch. This also created the atmosphere where several spectators felt they could more freely express their thoughts on the players on the ice.
After an investigation took place with the support of the Ontario Curling Council (OCC), it was determined that three players had been overheard saying things that were inappropriate to the degree that they violated the OCC Code of Conduct under the Sexual Harassment Policies.
Two of the three players issued accepted apologies, while a third player failed to issue a formal apology accepted by the athletes. A formal letter of reprimand was issued to the third player.
As a first time offence for all three athletes, discipline included completion of the Safe Sport Training module from the Canadian Coach's Association website (https://safesport.coach.ca/) prior to returning to the ice at the KW Granite Club and any future CurlingZone managed events.
I have also completed the module to better my understanding of the process. It is highly recommended that anyone involved in this sport take this FREE course to understand policies and best practices currently in place.
On behalf of myself, CurlingZone and the Ontario Curling Tour, I apologize to the teams made to feel unsafe under that environment and look to our community to do better.
We take the safety of all participants seriously.
As a result, we will be working with our provincial curling partners (Ontario Curling Council, CurlON, NOCA) to develop policies to help inform and guide the OCT in the event of future incidents.
We all have a responsibility to stand up when things are being said, whether it's deemed a compliment or not. Everyone in that room is responsible to their peers to say that it's not ok.
Gerry Geurts
President,
CurlingZone
Executive Director,
Ontario Curling Tour

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-21 05:38PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

On a related note, has there been any update on Marcio Cerquinho?

https://www.si.com/curling/news/bra...ested-in-canada

Old Post 12-08-21 06:02PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Re: Sexual harassment in curling...

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
STATEMENT REGARDING SEXUAL HARRASSMENT COMPLAINTS:
In October 2020, during the Stu Sells Toronto Tankard and KW Fall Classic events in Kitchener-Waterloo, multiple complaints of sexual harassment were made over the language used by spectators who were also competitors in the men's competitions.
These events were hosted by the KW Granite Club and managed by CurlingZone and the Ontario Curling Tour.
Complaints were made following a pattern of comments deemed locker room talk in the past, and with a male-only audience, this conversation escalated.
The setup of the event allowed for a bar area with proper distancing, and players would stay and watch. This also created the atmosphere where several spectators felt they could more freely express their thoughts on the players on the ice.
After an investigation took place with the support of the Ontario Curling Council (OCC), it was determined that three players had been overheard saying things that were inappropriate to the degree that they violated the OCC Code of Conduct under the Sexual Harassment Policies.
Two of the three players issued accepted apologies, while a third player failed to issue a formal apology accepted by the athletes. A formal letter of reprimand was issued to the third player.
As a first time offence for all three athletes, discipline included completion of the Safe Sport Training module from the Canadian Coach's Association website (https://safesport.coach.ca/) prior to returning to the ice at the KW Granite Club and any future CurlingZone managed events.
I have also completed the module to better my understanding of the process. It is highly recommended that anyone involved in this sport take this FREE course to understand policies and best practices currently in place.
On behalf of myself, CurlingZone and the Ontario Curling Tour, I apologize to the teams made to feel unsafe under that environment and look to our community to do better.
We take the safety of all participants seriously.
As a result, we will be working with our provincial curling partners (Ontario Curling Council, CurlON, NOCA) to develop policies to help inform and guide the OCT in the event of future incidents.
We all have a responsibility to stand up when things are being said, whether it's deemed a compliment or not. Everyone in that room is responsible to their peers to say that it's not ok.
Gerry Geurts
President,
CurlingZone
Executive Director,
Ontario Curling Tour

Ok Gerry. Those are big words.

What are you, the owner of this website, going to do about the master of sexist and misogynistic posts: MANITOBA LEGEND?

And, for that matter, his racist pal Fresca who just posted disgusting anti-indigenous hate.

Words are wind without action Gerry.

Old Post 12-09-21 01:25AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Re: jamcan’s post.

Second.

Old Post 12-09-21 08:11AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
Re: jamcan’s post.

Second.

Second and third and fourth.

Old Post 12-09-21 08:34AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brinkofthefalls
Knee-Slider

Re: Sexual harassment in curling...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CURLER1
[B]STATEMENT REGARDING SEXUAL HARRASSMENT COMPLAINTS:

Am I reading this right that this incident happened two falls ago in 2020 and the investigation is just wrapping now? Were the players involved in this incident able play in the 2021 events?

Old Post 12-09-21 09:14AM
brinkofthefalls is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brinkofthefalls Find more posts by brinkofthefalls Add brinkofthefalls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Second and third and fourth.

Fifth

Old Post 12-09-21 10:19AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
usurper
Knee-Slider

Organizations hiding abusers should be wary.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/10/...-to-answer-for/

Some clips from the story, worth a read for one of these organizational cover-ups that just came to light here.

“We’re just so angry that the Thorns organization did not hold Paul Riley accountable,” said Thorns season ticketholder Emily Brew as she stood outside the stadium Oct. 2. “The two players he coerced and abused lost their jobs and he went on to get another job. It’s just unacceptable.”

“He’s a predator,” Shim said on the Oct. 5 edition of the Today show. “He sexually harassed me. He sexually coerced Sinead. And he took away our careers.”

Shim had reported her allegations to the Thorns’ human resources director on Sept. 16, 2015. Seven days later, the team announced it wouldn’t renew his contract.

In The Athletic story, Shim says she filed a complaint with the Thorns on Sept. 16, 2015. She emailed Thorns HR director Nancy Garcia Ford, Paulson, Wilkinson and Riley himself. Then she forwarded the report to then-NWSL Commissioner Jeff Plush. Whatever was in Shim’s email, they all had it.

Old Post 12-09-21 05:16PM
usurper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for usurper Find more posts by usurper Add usurper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Fifth

And sixth.

Old Post 12-09-21 10:31PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Ok folks, Fresca and Legend are gone. Gerry has done the right thing and bet his site on this. Let's not let him down. Time to talk curling, the issues that it faces and not the trash those two put out there the last 15 years.

Lets be real curlers.

Old Post 12-10-21 12:15AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Johnny_Richi
Knee-Slider

Thank you for the discussion! This topic is very important and widespread not only in sports.

Old Post 03-31-23 05:42AM
Johnny_Richi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny_Richi Find more posts by Johnny_Richi Add Johnny_Richi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by usurper
Organizations hiding abusers should be wary.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/10/...-to-answer-for/

Some clips from the story, worth a read for one of these organizational cover-ups that just came to light here.

“We’re just so angry that the Thorns organization did not hold Paul Riley accountable,” said Thorns season ticketholder Emily Brew as she stood outside the stadium Oct. 2. “The two players he coerced and abused lost their jobs and he went on to get another job. It’s just unacceptable.”

“He’s a predator,” Shim said on the Oct. 5 edition of the Today show. “He sexually harassed me. He sexually coerced Sinead. And he took away our careers.”

Shim had reported her allegations to the Thorns’ human resources director on Sept. 16, 2015. Seven days later, the team announced it wouldn’t renew his contract.

In The Athletic story, Shim says she filed a complaint with the Thorns on Sept. 16, 2015. She emailed Thorns HR director Nancy Garcia Ford, Paulson, Wilkinson and Riley himself. Then she forwarded the report to then-NWSL Commissioner Jeff Plush. Whatever was in Shim’s email, they all had it.

AND YET...Curling Canada buried the BIG story about sexual harassment. You know the one. The elephant in the room story during the Olympic Trials. CC has a LOT to answer for for that. A Canadian football player did jail time for the exact same offence. I understand protecting the victim, but keeping the perpetrator’s name out of their mouths is shameful!

Last edited by HerCurl on 03-31-23 at 08:18PM

Old Post 03-31-23 08:10PM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Seems that individual just up and disappeared. Couldn't take the heat?

Old Post 03-31-23 09:26PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes. But he shouldn’t have been allowed to just walk away and disappear. And Curling Canada was instrumental in keeping it hushed up. That is NOT OK.

Old Post 03-31-23 11:09PM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Why do we still not know what Braeden Moskowy did or was accused of doing? It was obviously very serious as he didn't play competitively this year. What about next year or future years?

Old Post 04-01-23 01:33PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Johnny_Richi
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Richi
Thank you for the discussion! This topic is very important and widespread not only in sports.
As someone who has been a college student for a few years now, I wanted to share my thoughts on the benefits and difficulties of studying in college.

One of the main benefits of college is the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills in your field of interest. College provides a structured environment for learning and offers access to resources such as experienced professors and well-equipped libraries. Additionally, college offers a range of extracurricular activities, such as clubs and societies, which can help you meet like-minded individuals and develop new skills.

However, studying in college can also be challenging. The workload can be heavy, and the pressure to succeed can be intense. Balancing academic commitments with social activities and personal responsibilities can be tough. Furthermore, the cost of college can be a significant burden, with many students having to take out loans or work part-time jobs to make ends meet.

One way to alleviate some of the difficulties of studying in college is by taking advantage of the many free papers and resources available online. For example, the link to "Criticism" (https://paperap.com/free-papers/criticism/) can be a great resource for students looking to deepen their understanding of literary analysis. Free papers and other resources can help supplement your learning, and can provide valuable insights and perspectives that you might not have encountered otherwise.

In conclusion, while studying in college can be challenging, it also provides many benefits and opportunities for personal and professional growth. By being proactive and taking advantage of free resources and opportunities, we can make the most of our college experience and achieve our goals.

College provides a structured environment for learning, and the curriculum often includes in-depth analysis of various topics. Additionally, college offers access to well-equipped libraries and other resources that can help students with their research and understanding.

Old Post 04-03-23 04:30AM
Johnny_Richi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny_Richi Find more posts by Johnny_Richi Add Johnny_Richi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I offered to be a moderator for this forum (Gerry approached me about the position, I accepted) but like how I was originally going to have involvement with the AB Tankard (that seemed to have also fallen through) guess he decided otherwise and let the place rot.

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 04-03-23 at 11:49AM

Old Post 04-03-23 11:46AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I offered to be a moderator for this forum (Gerry approached me about the position, I accepted) but like how I was originally going to have involvement with the AB Tankard (that seemed to have also fallen through) guess he decided otherwise and let the place rot.

and u cant even report posts.. guess our only option is just to continuously block alllll of the bots <eye roll>

Old Post 04-04-23 06:11AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wefehi16
Knee-Slider

Sun

Sun exposure is similar to partying; too much of it ages your skin papa's pizzeria, while too little of it may age your internal organs like your bones.

Old Post 11-23-23 04:40AM
wefehi16 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wefehi16 Find more posts by wefehi16 Add wefehi16 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wefehi16
Knee-Slider

It's very amazing

It's very amazing how well you wrote the story and shaped the characters. I was engrossed in the world you built the entire time, and it kept me interested papa's pizzeria. You have amazing narrative abilities, and I look forward to reading more of your writing in the future. Continue your outstanding work!

Old Post 11-23-23 04:48AM
wefehi16 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wefehi16 Find more posts by wefehi16 Add wefehi16 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote