Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > 2012 Ontario Scotties Tournament of Hearts
Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

No way

Nice thought..nice Team but NO way at this level

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-12 10:54AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think Middaugh vs McCarville in the final.
Krista should win....5 person team! Pregnant again.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.5.5.126

Old Post 01-18-12 11:17AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Could be

Maybe.. but what do you think of Defending champ Homan?

I keep hoping for Krista as I said.. but they arent a great rep cause they just run out of steam every single year..
Not sure if its nutrition, limited event hardening or what...
They are a very curling smart group..but..
I dont want Middaugh to win out .. great Team but just dont have that extra "spark" needed to win Canada.. same old "demons" from the past..

Old Post 01-18-12 11:39AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

There won't be any big surprises here.
The finals will have Team Homan, no matter how the rest of their season went they're always the toughest Women's team to play, period.
The other final spot will more than likely go to either McCarville or Middaugh, not to say one them won't finish first overall for a spot in the final but the grittyness of Team Homan will for sure get them to the final one way or another. As always, the final will be anyone's game to win.
Looking forward to Monday night's game between McCarville and Homan!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.115.162.19

Old Post 01-18-12 01:00PM
Unregistered

Questioning the "Northern" Ice

Some snarky comments out there regarding potential "Northern Ontario" ice conditions. Got me thinking.

You know, Kenora is practically Manitoba. Manitoba is a province likely more rich in curling heritage than any other in the land. How could one ever question the ice in such an ideal curling land?

Well, no one ever really does, not that I've heard anyway. I'm not sure why - certainly it can't be that much different than the rest of the country - but for some reason the reputation seems fitting.

I'll admit I myself am guilty of this pre-conception. In fact, I have this image in my mind of almost every sheet of ice in that curling crazy province to be pristine and perfect. Always fast with 4-5 feet of true, late curl. Not a single run or ridge, no peaks or valleys, not a soft spot to be found. Never goes flat, no matter how many blanked extra ends. Impermious to gripper marks, fingerprints, and broomslams. Every sheet is perfect, every time.

If I ever heard of a picked rock or a complaint about any sheet of ice in Manitoba, I'd question it to my death. I have a feeling many others feel the same way.

Now compare that to what you've heard about Northern Ontario ice.

Funny how that works!

I'm sure the ice in Kenora will be fantastic, as this club has hosted provincial events in the past and surely will have the expertise and ability to produce top notch conditions. Good luck to all!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.199.35.74

Old Post 01-18-12 01:32PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Good Post

I think the issue is more Club ice versus arena ice..
There has never been complaints about Thunder Bay when it hosted worlds and that is up north...

Maybe when the Provincial playdowns are played on Arena ice.. the complaints will fade

Old Post 01-18-12 02:20PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Middaugh has a new team since her last Canadian Scotties appearance - this just might be her year. However any one of those teams could come out on top.

But I look forward to the day when both Northern and Southern Ontario have their own entries into the Scotties.

Old Post 01-19-12 09:57AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Re: Questioning the "Northern" Ice

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Some snarky comments out there regarding potential "Northern Ontario" ice conditions. Got me thinking.

I'm sure the ice in Kenora will be fantastic, as this club has hosted provincial events in the past and surely will have the expertise and ability to produce top notch conditions. Good luck to all!

Good ice comes from good icemakers.

Old Post 01-19-12 10:30AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

The peculiarities of ice will always come into play at playdowns. The one pos thing about arena ice is that it has plenty of curl… more than needed sometimes and it can enable weaker teams to make one shot late in an end to save the end, but usually the best all-around team at the time will win. You tend to get a truer read on which team or teams are hot at the time, as they are most likely the best teams in the playdown.

Club ice is much different… the team that wins will be the one team that catches the ice (weight and curl) and the ice characteristics will suit their game strategy. This will not necessarily be the best team, but the team that matches their game to the club ice. It can be a surprise team who wins. Rarely is it the best all around team because that team has already changed their game to conform to arena ice conditions, which hardly ever is the best strategy for club ice.

For example… how many bonspiels played on club ice have you seen where the team or teams that are considered the best hardly ever win the spiel. As one poster stated… good ice comes from good icemakers, as they will be the one who determines ice conditions, particularly for the finesse shots. If the good teams can’t consistently make those tricky shots… then it opens the door to weaker teams, which often happens on club ice.

Old Post 01-19-12 11:24AM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tlkcurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know where I can find the standings for Ontario Scotties provincials? - playdowns.com doesn't seem to be updated at all.

Old Post 01-21-12 01:05PM
tlkcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tlkcurler Find more posts by tlkcurler Add tlkcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssrulle
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tlkcurler
Does anyone know where I can find the standings for Ontario Scotties provincials? - playdowns.com doesn't seem to be updated at all.

That's because the Provincials does not begin until Monday night.

Old Post 01-21-12 01:10PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I have a question for the posters questioning the "Northern" ice:
How was the ice at last years Ontario Scotties???
From what I hear the ice was questionable at best. I find it funny that people are questioning the ice in Kenora without even seeing it yet. I bet ya the ice won't be worse then last year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.5.13.60

Old Post 01-21-12 07:29PM
tlkcurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks - my bad, apparently a week ahead of myself

Old Post 01-21-12 11:02PM
tlkcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tlkcurler Find more posts by tlkcurler Add tlkcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackFlash
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Middaugh has a new team since her last Canadian Scotties appearance - this just might be her year. However any one of those teams could come out on top.

But I look forward to the day when both Northern and Southern Ontario have their own entries into the Scotties.

I agree on all accounts! "Looks" like one of the best Ontario STOH fields in many a year!

Old Post 01-22-12 02:02PM
JackFlash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JackFlash Find more posts by JackFlash Add JackFlash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearbells
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ont womens

Best site to follow the Ont. Scotties - NOCA. Just follow the threads to the Scotties. Website updates scores after each end, and throughout the entire week until winner is declared.

Old Post 01-22-12 02:14PM
bearbells is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearbells Click here to Send bearbells a Private Message Find more posts by bearbells Add bearbells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Cant wait for this one!

Here's the NOCA link

http://www.curlnoca.ca/

Old Post 01-22-12 02:24PM
ssrulle
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JackFlash

I agree on all accounts! "Looks" like one of the best Ontario STOH fields in many a year!

Absolutely! It's not going to be a breeze to the finals this year!

Old Post 01-22-12 02:44PM
ssrulle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssrulle Click here to Send ssrulle a Private Message Find more posts by ssrulle Add ssrulle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Question

OCA website indicates that only the playoffs will be broadcast on the weekend by Rogers. Is there a weekly broadcast of the STOH provincial anywhere in Ontario this week?

Old Post 01-23-12 07:19PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

shouldnt there be updates of some sort by now? matches should have started nearly an hour ago

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 01-23-12 07:55PM
kyoh
Hitting Paint

quote:
shouldnt there be updates of some sort by now? matches should have started nearly an hour ago

I thought so too, but then I remembered Kenora's in the same timezone as Winnipeg, so it should be just starting now lol

Old Post 01-23-12 08:05PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamielb77
Knee-Slider

quote:

Kenora is on Central time. They should be starting now.

Old Post 01-23-12 08:06PM
jamielb77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamielb77 Click here to Send jamielb77 a Private Message Find more posts by jamielb77 Add jamielb77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

sherry middaugh smacked laura pickering 10-2 to start the event

auld beats dahl 8-3

very strong starts for both of those teams

rachel is up 7-3 over krista after 8

Old Post 01-23-12 10:32PM
Unregistered

quote:
sherry middaugh smacked laura pickering 10-2 to start the event

auld beats dahl 8-3

very strong starts for both of those teams

rachel is up 7-3 over krista after 8

You do know that CZ does a really good job of reporting all scores etc under their scoreboard. Kind of redundant to repeat it all again in the forums.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.49.136

Old Post 01-23-12 10:52PM
ssrulle
Swing Artist

quote:

You do know that CZ does a really good job of reporting all scores etc under their scoreboard. Kind of redundant to repeat it all again in the forums.

The point of the forum is to discuss what's going on... who cares if it's redundant to post? Sometime people are posting the scores faster than CZ. It doesn't hut anyone.

Old Post 01-23-12 10:56PM
Unregistered

quote:

yes i do know that but i wasnt updating them every minute i ws giving my thoughts on the final result

Old Post 01-24-12 08:04AM