Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Goldline Norway or EQ brush head?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dks
Hitting Paint

Goldline Norway or EQ brush head?

Greetings all,

Has anyone tried both the new Goldline Norway Pad and the EQ pad and compared the two? I'm currently using the Norway pad and have been pleased with the performance. I don't know if the pad will last very long though. Does the EQ pad last any longer?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-16-12 10:13AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

the Olson OPTI pad is also very comparable!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.70.81.154

Old Post 10-16-12 05:08PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I have yet to use the goldline head, tho I plan to very soon
I have used many EQ heads. Two seasons ago when they first came out I found the quality great, the first few brushes you had to be careful not to burn the rock because they bit the ice and would steer your broom and they seemed last great. Since then I have found the quality has really suffered. Last year I used 20ish EQ heads and the quality of the first batch just isnt there. After one game(sometimes one rock) it feel like your doing nothing.
Still Balance Plus is my shoe of choice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.138.46.84

Old Post 10-17-12 03:25PM
tubby
Swing Artist

The Norway pad makes no sense to me. Only some of the pad makes contact with the ice.

Old Post 10-18-12 07:05AM
tubby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tubby Click here to Send tubby a Private Message Find more posts by tubby Add tubby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

When I saw the "grooved" pad design on the Norway pad I thought that it was an interesting concept. I haven't used an EQ pad, but, the Norway pad compared to a regular Goldline pad is noticeable. The Norway seems much better, but, the wear on the pad is quite drastic (after 3 games). I got another HE pad from Goldline and prefer the HE to a regular pad. I understand they are not going to make the HE anymore with the Norway replacing that brand. In a nutshell, the Norway pad is definitely better than a regular pad and the Goldline HE pad is only marginally better than a regular pad.

I checked out the Opti pad on their website and it stated that the pad will fit Olson brooms. I don't know if it will fit a Goldline broom.

Old Post 10-18-12 09:31AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

www.Hardlinecurling.com

The icePad brooms are the next big thing... waterproof heads, last longer, washable, and cheaper to replace.

Don't knock it til you try it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.163.183.239

Old Post 10-18-12 08:39PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

I recover my own heads and save a few $$$. The guts of these heads is the reflective layer under the fabric. I use the regular Cordura nylon fabric that go on traditional brush heads, and come is a variety of bright colors. A more waterproof fabric would probably increase sweeping efficiency, but I haven't found any in the popular bright colors.

Cheers.

Old Post 10-23-12 10:19PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Shot Rock Curling Supplies can also recover your old pads. They use a waterproof material that is great to sweep. Very hard to go back to the Cordura Nylon after getting used to this stuff. These feel just like the EQ pads but seem to be more durable. No foil in these but much cheaper than new EQ pads!

I agree that the Norway Pads seem like they would be less effective with the ridges. Maybe the concept is having a higher PSI on these ridges makes up for the loss in effective sweeping area. I think I'll stick to a normal pad for now. We need someone to setup an independent brush pad effectiveness testing laboratory!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.63.168.38

Old Post 10-24-12 08:01AM
Unregistered

Smile I've tried both

I've tried both the Norway and the EQ pad. I found that the EQ wears out quicker. this may be due to the waterproof material on the Norway. The first batch of Norway pads are different to the ones now being sold though; I haven't tried the new ones (they have deeper ridges and are made of a slightly different fabric).
I prefer the Norway pad. It feels like you are doing more with every stroke and you can feel it heat up quicker if you rub it with your hand. It is also more effective at dealing with frost. After I got over the slippery-ness of it I am full convert. Norway all the way!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 84.12.87.24

Old Post 11-25-12 12:39PM
dks
Hitting Paint

Thanks for your feedback on both the Norway and the EQ pad. It's always good to get real ice tested reviews. On an update for me, the Norway pad is holding up very nicely. Most of the wear appears to be the colour on the fabric as opposed to the actual fabric itself. The Norway doesn't pick up debris as much as a regular pad. I usually had to clean my pad after each end, but, with the Norway, I find the pad remains cleaner for a longer time.

Old Post 11-27-12 10:24AM
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Tried the Norway head last night switching from my third EQ head. While eight ends is no scientific study, I think I do prefer the Norway head. I agree with the posters above on the need to clean and handling new ice/frost. Both heads are an improvement from the regular heads. Time will tell on how it stands up vs. the EQ.

I will have to say, the cover of the Norway is the toughest piece of lefse I have seen in my life.

Old Post 11-27-12 12:19PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I've tried the original Norway pad, the new Norway pad (with ridges), the EQ pad and the Olson Opti. I find the new Norway pad to be very loud and I have a hard time hearing my skip call line while both myself and the other sweeper are using the new Norway pad. The original Norway pad seemed to last forever, as long as you used your little scrub brush to clean it after almost every rock. The EQ pad is okay, but I prefer the original Norway pad. The Olson Opti is probably the most similar to the original Norway pad.

I have an Asham broom and all of these pads fit on the broom head.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.118.89.114

Old Post 01-07-13 11:11AM
cilinon799
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
the Olson OPTI pad is also very comparable!

Some fans have even created their own rules and guidelines for Pokemon fusion, taking into account factors like size, type, and evolutionary stage.

Old Post 11-20-23 11:45AM
cilinon799 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cilinon799 Find more posts by cilinon799 Add cilinon799 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote