Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Scotties 2023
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
If TSN/SN and other talking heads could refrain fron constantly scrutinizing Team Homan every draw, that'd be nice.

I honestly think that 4-person curling should do what mixed doubles does, and let players be anywhere on the ice if it's their turn, and also let teams shuffle their throwing order between ends.

The traditional team model is too outdated, and we've made some progress moving away from that, but we should just destroy that model entirely and let teams do whatever works for them.

Anyone can sweep. Anyone can hold the broom. Who cares who is calling the game. Do whatever works.

Just like mixed doubles.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-23 07:04PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Obviously Jones disagrees with you. She tends to see the potential in these young junior grads who won world junior titles ( like Lawes ). Their W/L record is quite strong this season for a new line up.

If we just judged players by their first appearance then Suzanne Birt would have been the best curler of this generation.

Yeah, you're right. Obviously she sees a chance of winning ith them or she wouldn't have called. It's not onna change my mind how I feel about them though , even I they do win this

Old Post 02-23-23 08:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

From what I can tell there is no scenario where the DSC will eliminate a team from contention in pool A. However, both Quebec and Wild Card 1 could be eliminated (not be eligible for the tiebreaker) with 5-3 records based on H2H.

Old Post 02-23-23 09:28PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I honestly believe that people lump their hatred for DSC as anything where a team is ranked/eliminated without playing tiebreaker games. There's a lot of examples that people cite to demonstrate their hatred for DSC, when technically it was all H2H.

I acknowledge that H2H or DSC probably doesn't matter if you will not accept anything other than a proper tiebreaker game.

Another source of misunderstanding is Canada's preference for cumulative instead of average. An inch behind in Canada is an inch you can make up on the ice with one stone, but an inch behind at Worlds/Olympics is an inch behind on every LSD stones you've thrown so far.

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-23-23 at 10:45PM

Old Post 02-23-23 10:09PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

I stand corrected. With a 4 way tie for second, they play 2 tie breakers as opposed to using h2 h to eliminate one team . A much better solution as it can be accommodated in the schedule.

Old Post 02-24-23 12:39AM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye
A much better solution as it can be accommodated in the schedule.

I agree that if they're going to have tiebreaker games, this is the way to go...

But Curling Canada did basically change the rule at the 11th hour. Some people think they basically did it in a (so far successful) attempt to keep Lawes alive.

Here's Félix Asselin on Twittter:

https://twitter.com/fasselin94/stat...981055884492806
"We all agree that's how it should be but it clearly says there will ONLY be a TB game for 3rd place. Now they changed it mid week"

Old Post 02-24-23 01:04AM
GregJP
Swing Artist

So with the rules as written Black would advance, St. Georges and Grandy would play a tiebreaker for 3rd and Lawes would be eliminated. How can the rules be changed during the competition?

It would be like MLB adding a wildcard in August.

Black has a definite beef in this case.

Old Post 02-24-23 01:39AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP
Black has a definite beef in this case.

On the plus side for Black, she will start with hammer by virtue of being ranked higher than Lawes without comparing LSDs.

That is... unless Curling Canada change the rule again and now say that Lawes will start with hammer because Lawes beat Black in pool play (which is what WCF would've done per WCF's rules).

Old Post 02-24-23 02:31AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Hey, the Yukon team (that apparently qualified by default due to no other team trying to do so) got a win! I can't imagine that that happens very often.

Old Post 02-24-23 03:09AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
Hey, the Yukon team (that apparently qualified by default due to no other team trying to do so) got a win! I can't imagine that that happens very often.

Yukon actually played well against a few teams this year. Maybe part of it is because those teams subbed in their alternates, but for example Yukon did start the game against Ontario with hammer, scored 3 in the first end, and was ahead by 1 point at half-time.

Old Post 02-24-23 04:14AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Yukon actually played well against a few teams this year. Maybe part of it is because those teams subbed in their alternates, but for example Yukon did start the game against Ontario with hammer, scored 3 in the first end, and was ahead by 1 point at half-time.

Nonetheless, that was the first win I could find for them in the Scotties since 2019.

Old Post 02-24-23 05:05AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just providing more insights about Yukon this year.

For example, here's another insight: skip of Team Yukon is an actress, among other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_ftg-tS3w

Old Post 02-24-23 05:45AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Hey look, the rules were changed at the dieing hour to try and help a top team. Shocker.

Old Post 02-24-23 07:44AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
If TSN/SN and other talking heads could refrain fron constantly scrutinizing Team Homan every draw, that'd be nice.

This hasn't bothered me. They're the most interesting team format in ages and it's worth discussing. I've also felt all the discussion has been very respectful.

Old Post 02-24-23 09:48AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Team Alberta really bottled the final end on Thursday night against BC. The two misses from their third followed by a panic attack and an overswept final stone of the end virtually handed the win to BC despite having a major positional advantage early in the 10th end. Even the Alberta skip was in disbelief saying after the shot, "I actually made it." Pressure makes for compelling viewing.

Old Post 02-24-23 11:37AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

The 10th end of the NS vs. WC tiebreaker was excellent. Both Lawes and Black rose to the occasion with excellent shots under pressure. It's abnormal to be able to do that.

Old Post 02-24-23 02:32PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Re: tiebreakers. Does the rule say there will be only 1 GAME for 3rd place or does it say there will only be 1 DRAW for tiebreakers? There is a difference. I think the 4 way tiebreaker is the best option but if the rules going in preclude it, you can't change on the fly.
I recall back in the 90s there was a 3 (maybe even 4) way tie for first place after the round robin at the Brier with Vic Peters and Russ H as 2 of the teams. The rules back then stated that H2H records would be used to break ties and Vic had best H2H but the others said no, and after lobbying/debate he was not given first. One would think that CC would have explicit rules laid out for every possible scenario since then but after all it's CC.

Great finish in the Lawes/Black tiebreaker, just clutch skipping all around.

Last edited by hogged again on 02-24-23 at 03:17PM

Old Post 02-24-23 03:07PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Re: tiebreakers. Does the rule say there will be only 1 GAME for 3rd place or does it say there will only be 1 DRAW for tiebreakers?

Go read the media guide.

https://www.curling.ca/media/

"Only one tiebreaker game will be played Friday morning for third place, if necessary. If there are more than two teams tied for third place, teams will be eliminated by head-to-head record or accumulated last stone draw distance until there are only two teams left to play one tiebreaker draw. Tiebreakers will only be played by teams with a record better than .500 (5-3)."

Now, we could argue whether a publicly published media guide is technically the same as the actual rules, but I think there's a legitimate issue regardless.

We can also argue that the published "rule" doesn't actually say "Tiebreaker game is only played for 3rd place". We can actually twist it a bit and claim that it says "If there are ties only for the 3rd place, then only 1 tiebreaker game will be played. If there are ties for both 2nd and 3rd places, then we'll do something else."

That does sound reasonable to me, but it also adds more evidence that Curling Canada has issues communicating their messages effectively.

Last edited by curlingclips on 02-24-23 at 04:02PM

Old Post 02-24-23 03:31PM
EPMD
Swing Artist

Team Homan played a poor extra end against NS and Homan couldn't bail them all out with a final double attempt. It looked like Homan had the advantage all game and still found a way to lose. In fairness, those two skip shots by Black in the 10th end were impressive.

But that extra end -- you could see the lack of clear Team Homan leadership with the indecision over which double peel to attempt on one of Emma's stones. Tracy wanted one shot, Emma wanted another, Rachel was siding with Emma, Tracy gave in, and then Emma relented and went back to Tracy's initial suggestion. Then on Rachel's first shot, Coach Fry wanted the peel, Rachel was strongly considering drawing the button, the rest of the team was equivocating, and then Rachel relented to throw the peel. That said, I still expect them to storm back next year and push Einarson (or whoever else wins this thing).

As impressed as I've been with Black's shooting, I am even more impressed by Nova Scotia's front end judgement. Baxter was getting them all right today.

I really like the drama of the elimination games. I just wish TSN could think outside the box and stagger the start times so we aren't left in the dark about one of them.

Old Post 02-24-23 07:29PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I predict Einarson will win 4th consecutive Scotties, but she'd be put through the wringer to do so. There'll be steals, big ends, dramatic misses, unnecessarily close games, maybe even a surprising loss or two.

I also predict one shining Coach Carruthers moment. Like maybe none of the players saw a shot for the win, but they called a timeout and Coach Carruthers came through with a shot that they'll then make.

Well, Jones just stole 4 against Einarson, so that's part of my prediction coming true.

Old Post 02-24-23 09:36PM
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Re: tiebreakers. Does the rule say there will be only 1 GAME for 3rd place or does it say there will only be 1 DRAW for tiebreakers? There is a difference. I think the 4 way tiebreaker is the best option but if the rules going in preclude it, you can't change on the fly.

I think you're spot on here. I recall reading something before the event that talked about the two tiebreakers if there was a four way tie but even three tied teams was considered a far fetched possibility in the discussion. I'm sure all the 'what-ifs' were considered a long long time ago.

Interesting conclusion to Jones' game tonight. Will she be able to hang on to her single point edge in the 10th? I sure hope so. She and her young team have been curling very very well.

Old Post 02-24-23 11:37PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Jones/McCarville 1/2
Einarson/Black?! 3/4

Jones - there’s something really admirable about how a later 40s person still loves to and competes at the highest level.

McCarville - this is a really good Scotties team. There is a benefit to having consistency in the entire team unit year after year.

Black - not a true contender but what they did today is something to be immensely proud of. 32 ends of competitive curling.

Einarson - fell asleep in end 2 and lost their first game of the week. They’ve gone through the 3/4 before and would fully expect they get at least into the semi.

Homan - 6 years ago you could have easily convinced many that she’d go down as the best Canadian woman ever. Now she regularly doesn’t perform in the biggest events.

Lawes - great third, not a top level skip. This will become more evident year over year if people aren’t convinced yet.

Old Post 02-25-23 12:11AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The timeout in page 3v4 game, 8th end, counts as a minor Coach Carruthers heroic moment in my opinion. Russ Howard made additional comment on the value of having these high quality coaches (Niklas Edin being the obvious big dog), so I think he agreed with me.

I still think there'll be another heroic moment still for Coach Carruthers.

Old Post 02-25-23 06:22PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Yesterday (Friday) was a wonderful day of curling. Great games all over the place.
As someone else mentioned, though, it's unfortunate that one great game is always hidden from us (TV viewers), and all we get to see is the last shot of each end.
I'm not sure that constantly going back & forth between two (or more) games is the solution, though, as it prevents the viewer from really getting into and understanding any of the games. The best solution would indeed be staggered starting times.

It's too bad that Quebec didn't take advantage of their two opportunities to make the playoffs, losing both games. They're a fun team to watch.

Nova Scotia has been very impressive. I'm pulling for them all the way against the 3 much more well known teams.
Today is a struggle for them vs. Einarson, though. The 4 cylinder team has only one functioning cylinder today - Skip Black. The other three are missing easy shots - often far too light. It's like a team of 4 vs. a team of 1 today.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 02-25-23 06:34PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

Way to go Jen and your team of youngsters. I was impressed with how well they all held themselves together after that fluky start. What a fairy tale trip this will be for all of them if they can pull off a win tomorrow although I'm sure Einarson will give them a battle.

Old Post 02-26-23 12:56AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote