Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > To all you Jennifer Jones bashers...
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Whether Jones improved her squad or not has yet to be o be determined. It's early days.

My point was that no one but the principal players know for certain what went down when Cathy O was let go.

It seems unfair to say that because Jones chose to keep her mouth shut regarding the matter, she's the one who was wrong.

I recall reading an interview with Cathy O shortly after she was hired to work with the young curlers in the Maritimes. The reporter did not ask her any questions about being let go, yet she brought it up. I thought at the time it was inappropriate and it sounded a lot like whining.

I repeat... it's possible that Jones' silence was classy and it may have saved Cathy O some negative publicity.

Nice to see some people actually put thought to things, as oppose to brainless reactions.

This belief that everyone has a right to know everything is pure BS......and "me thinks the lady douth complain too much" (or something like that) fits K.O.

Yea....a good P.R. person would have spun it differently....but then thanks to P.R. people we get the politicians we have....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-11 10:17AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOne
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

Nice to see some people actually put thought to things, as oppose to brainless reactions.

This belief that everyone has a right to know everything is pure BS......and "me thinks the lady douth complain too much" (or something like that) fits K.O.

Yea....a good P.R. person would have spun it differently....but then thanks to P.R. people we get the politicians we have....

I see the Jones Wagon jumped into the Stoughton article comments too...LOL

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-120064139.html

Old Post 04-19-11 10:41AM
TheOne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOne Click here to Send TheOne a Private Message Find more posts by TheOne Add TheOne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey
So the reason it doesn't sit well with me is Kathy had earned a spot in the next years Scotties (and probably a variety of other entries to Canada Cup, etc) and they were taken from her without compensation. There should be a rule that any team in this situation would have to give 1/4 of their winnings from the future events if they get rid of a player who was there to help in the earning of those entries.

You don't know that COC wasn't compensated, so you shouldn't be stating that like it's a fact. Also, Team JJ didn't qualify at the Canada Cup, so should they send COC a bill for 1/4 of their expenses? I don't mean to be flippant, obviously someone who wasn't at an event shouldn't be expected to pay any costs, but to my mind, that works both ways.

I have to say the media reporting of the whole team change was disgustingly one sided, but the fact is, they only had one side of the story. I thought the way the press vilified JJ was way over the top, and I think it wasn't so much that they felt sorry for COC as they resented Team JJ for not dishing any dirt (personally I admire them for that). They took A LOT of bullets over the past year but they still managed to have an amazingly successful season in spite of it all.

I'm sure Jen, Jill & Dawn didn't take the decision to replace COC lightly, but they recognized that a change was necessary in order to continue on.

And COC got her moment at the STOH, beating her former team mates with the crowd fully in her corner chanting her name. Hopefully now everyone can just let it go and move on.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.98.232.36

Old Post 04-19-11 01:47PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

With all this talk about how Kathy was so hard done by, do we remember what happened to Karen Purdy on Connie,s team and who replaced her ?????????????????????????????

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.5.117.162

Old Post 04-20-11 07:54AM
siouxchamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
With all this talk about how Kathy was so hard done by, do we remember what happened to Karen Purdy on Connie,s team and who replaced her ?????????????????????????????

I think that Karen Purdy would have had a very difficult time curling with a broken leg. That was why Cathy OC 'replaced' Karen. Give it up already, this is old news.

Old Post 04-20-11 09:48AM
siouxchamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for siouxchamp Click here to Send siouxchamp a Private Message Find more posts by siouxchamp Add siouxchamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Once Karen's ankle healed she was probably good to go!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.0.147.244

Old Post 04-20-11 11:03AM
Unregistered

Everyone, it's her team. She can choose what is done with it. s
She doesn't need the fans and medias permission to make a lineup change. One of the main goals for that team was to make it to Vancouver. They failed. If they wanted to make a run at Sochi then they needed a lineup change, especially if they weren't getting along and the chemistry wasn't there anymore. and at the scotties it was just unfair how the fans treated her. I was at the final in Charlottetown and the stuff people yelled at her during the game was a lot worse than what she did. Pretty ironic how it was being yelled by the same people who all say she has no class and all that. Plus they were also yelling comments to Kaitlyn and I can guarantee that any 22 year old curler would jump at the opportunity to play on one of the world's top teams. Just think, if you were Kaitlyn's age and someone was kicked off Kevin Martin's team and were offered the spot, would you just be like no I think Kennedy still deserves it. So in my opinion, people can just give it up with bashing her. Last time I checked it was her team and not yours. Its one thing to not cheer for her if you don't agree with what she did, but you don't have to go out and say how wrong it was what she did.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.167.27.75

Old Post 04-20-11 11:27AM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
So in my opinion, people can just give it up with bashing her. Last time I checked it was her team and not yours. Its one thing to not cheer for her if you don't agree with what she did, but you don't have to go out and say how wrong it was what she did.

LOL, are you trying to limit our right to free speech? If so I can get a constitutional lawyer on your case so fast your head will be spinning for years to come.

Have a nice day

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE

Old Post 04-20-11 12:11PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Well if you want to talk about rights, then she had every right to do what she did by getting rid of Cathy O.

Old Post 04-20-11 12:31PM
Unregistered

quote:

Good point! COC had been to a boatload of Scotties when she was replaced, but I can't help but wonder how many Scotties Karen Purdy has been to. COC sure didn't have a problem with someone losing their spot on Team Canada back then. Funny how ones perspective changes when one is on the other side of the fence. I guess the difference is Karen Purdy didn't cry to the media about it for 10 months. Perhaps creating animosity and hostility against her former skip wasn't as big a priority for Karen as it was for COC.

People can think what they want but I think some of the hateful things that have been directed at JJ were overboard and unjustified. She made a change to her curling team, she didn't kill anyone's puppy FFS!

Old Post 04-20-11 01:41PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

LOL, are you trying to limit our right to free speech? If so I can get a constitutional lawyer on your case so fast your head will be spinning for years to come.

Have a nice day

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE

LOL, really? OMG WTF

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.37.123

Old Post 04-20-11 01:42PM
Unregistered

quote:

Good point! COC had been to a boatload of Scotties when she was replaced, but I can't help but wonder how many Scotties Karen Purdy has been to. COC sure didn't have a problem with someone losing their spot on Team Canada back then. Funny how ones perspective changes when one is on the other side of the fence. I guess the difference is Karen Purdy didn't cry to the media about it for 10 months. Perhaps creating animosity and hostility against her former skip wasn't as big a priority for Karen as it was for COC.

People can think what they want but I think some of the hateful things that have been directed at JJ were overboard and unjustified. She made a change to her curling team, she didn't kill anyone's puppy FFS!

If Karen Purdy was a better player, she would have been to more by now.

Plus its no comparison to the situation with Jones. Anyone with half a brain can see the differences between the two. Guess the doc took a little more than that from you when he performed that pre-frontal labotomy...

However, you pro-Jonesers just keep right on trying to deflect the spotlight all you want. Curling fans aren't fooled.

As for the stuff she had to endure at Charletown. BOO-HOO, I'm crying big 'ole tears because she had to face the consequences of her actions. If she has the guts to cut a teammate then she has to show the same fortitude and live with the results of that decision.

I maintain that had she shown the intelligence to tell the truth about what happened she would have faced far less questioning and animosity. Instead she just appears cold, ruthless and calculating.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 165.130.136.206

Old Post 04-20-11 02:18PM
Unregistered

quote:
Well if you want to talk about rights, then she had every right to do what she did by getting rid of Cathy O.

And thus we have everyright to critisize her doing so.

I believe that's called; Hoisted on your own Petard.

Old Post 04-20-11 02:21PM
Unregistered

quote:
Guess the doc took a little more than that from you when he performed that pre-frontal labotomy...

I must have made a valid point since your only retort was to suggest I had a labotomy. Ha! As for the rest of your post, you just demonstrated some of that way overboard, unjustified hatefulness I was talkin' about. But whatever, to each their own. Have a nice summer.

Old Post 04-20-11 03:52PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

I love it when the toughest comments come from "guests"!

Sort of reminds me of my young brother who would do something then run behind my mother to protect him. One day he wasn't quit fast enough.

By the way….a frontal lobotomy removes your personality, not your ability to reason. Reduction in IQ is only about 30%....not noticable in most people.

Old Post 04-20-11 04:34PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

I must have made a valid point since your only retort was to suggest I had a labotomy. Ha! As for the rest of your post, you just demonstrated some of that way overboard, unjustified hatefulness I was talkin' about. But whatever, to each their own. Have a nice summer.

If you had a valid point I would have responded as such. Since you didn't I responded in kind.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 165.130.136.208

Old Post 04-20-11 04:35PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

It's a slow day at the Home Depot?

Old Post 04-20-11 05:41PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by siouxchamp

I think that Karen Purdy would have had a very difficult time curling with a broken leg. That was why Cathy OC 'replaced' Karen. Give it up already, this is old news.

JH

Old Post 04-20-11 08:38PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

you say that the strongest comments come from guests? well whats the difference in your name. you have a username that in no way states ur own name. good try though. and in winnipeg i talked to jill officers mother and there are two sides to the story. the only difference is jenn is being classless and coming out about why she got rid of Cathy. you all say how she has no class yet its cathy o that is going in the media and whining to get people to take her side. your falling right into the trap like she wants you to. in sports, people get kicked off teams. big deal. im sure she will live.

Old Post 04-20-11 11:54PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
you say that the strongest comments come from guests? well whats the difference in your name. you have a username that in no way states ur own name. good try though. and in winnipeg i talked to jill officers mother and there are two sides to the story. the only difference is jenn is being classless and coming out about why she got rid of Cathy. you all say how she has no class yet its cathy o that is going in the media and whining to get people to take her side. your falling right into the trap like she wants you to. in sports, people get kicked off teams. big deal. im sure she will live.

I totally agree with you. Jenn is being "classless". Oh and I bet Jill's mommy might be just a little biased.
Let's just assume that JJ just wanted a change to improve her team. In my opinion (which doesn't count) that would be the ONLY reason I can see to "cut" COC. In this case, Team Canada and everything that goes with it, WRONG MOVE!!! JJ is just smart enough to stay quiet and not dig the hole any deeper.

And that's the way I see it and I am not Henry Viney.

Old Post 04-21-11 02:17AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

and COC isnt biased towards her side of the story???

Old Post 04-21-11 11:06AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
By the way….a frontal lobotomy removes your personality, not your ability to reason. Reduction in IQ is only about 30%....not noticable in most people.

Interesting viewpoint. 30% dumber would likely be pretty noticeable in most people if you went from 100% down to, say 70%. Or as in the case of some posters on this thread from 50% down to 20%-lol

Old Post 04-21-11 11:30AM
la_canadienne
Knee-Slider

I completely agree that teams can make line-up changes.

I disagree that this should be acceptable, however, when the WHOLE foursome has qualified to return as Team Canada. The appropriate thing to do is discuss it and see if the team can agree to some kind of a shift (maybe bring in a different 5th who will join the foursome in the following year) or perhaps someone agrees that they should leave the team. HOWEVER, if no such agreement is reached then EACH of the four players have the RIGHT to return to play in the Scotties. And the business decision to change the team happens when all of the players' rights on the team have been exhausted (after Worlds, if the team makes it that far).

I strong disagree with any of you who think it's Jennifer's Jones' team - she is the skip, but only one of four team members. All decisions for the team should be made as a team.

I don't care if Jennifer Jones is nice, that she helps out beginners, that she might be kinda shy. I just care that she is a good sport. Kicking off a team-mate at the last minute in a season and when she has a right to come back to the Scotties is the LAST thing I would call good sportsmanship. I don't need to know Jennifer Jones - I know enough.

Oh and let's also stop pretending that she is some curling God...her Worlds record is abominable.

Old Post 04-21-11 12:05PM
la_canadienne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for la_canadienne Click here to Send la_canadienne a Private Message Find more posts by la_canadienne Add la_canadienne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by la_canadienne

I strong disagree with any of you who think it's Jennifer's Jones' team - she is the skip, but only one of four team members. All decisions for the team should be made as a team.

So what if 3 of 4 players want 1 player out? Buh-bye.

Old Post 04-21-11 12:15PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
la_canadienne
Knee-Slider

(Just noticed a grammar error in my previous post..."I strongly disagree...")

No it's not democracy on a curling team. Each player earns their OWN right to qualify for events and cash.

Buh-bye has to wait until those rights are exhausted...anyway this is getting repetitive.

One more thing - nobody hates JJ because she is "too good"...does anyone remember anyone ever hating Schmirler's team? They were the best Canada has ever produced and Schmirler left us wanting more. I want our teams to win everything, I am waiting for a team like Schmirler that is consistent and reliable and sportsmanlike. We're not there yet, but I haven't given up on Amber. She has fire.

Old Post 04-21-11 12:25PM
la_canadienne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for la_canadienne Click here to Send la_canadienne a Private Message Find more posts by la_canadienne Add la_canadienne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote