Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > To all you Jennifer Jones bashers...
Pages (4): « 1 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am

Sorry, you will have to be more specific, that does not narrow it down.

If he starts talking about rum, sodomy and the lash RUN!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.165.97.48

Old Post 04-21-11 10:12PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Sure its unclassy and its just plain dumb. When a pro team cuts a player they release them and buy them out. They also release a statement to that effect. They don't detail how much, just that it was done.

As for if its anyone's business. If curling wants to be in the big time then its the fans who pay for that. So the fan has a certain right to know whats going on. Plus its not about the income, its about putting the right PR spin on the issue. And lets face it, on this Jones gets a D minus.

Pretty stupid move for a corporate lawyer to make.

If these competitive teams are going to continue to make these moves they better wise up. Fans and media want explanations. Not providing them only makes people think the worst. The animosity against Jones has nothing to do with cutting Overton. It's her silence on the matter that causes it. It makes her-and her teammates-look arrogant, cold and classless.

I have never commented on JJ but her reasons for non-disclosure of the dirty details may be to protect COC...has that possibility been brought up? There obviously(at least to me) is an compatabilty issue that could not be resolved moving forward....hence the separation. JJ does not owe any fan a detailed explanation as that is their business as to the details. I don't agree with the timing but there is no good time to split. This whole issue is getting very old. Move on to summer folks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-22-11 12:04AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Would an arrogant, classless, cold, selfish person spend their time promoting their sport and raising money for charities...

like this...
http://www.thecurlingnews.com/blog/68083-for-sick-kids/

and this...
http://www.nyghhumanrace.com/teamstandings.shtml

and this...
http://www.wellwestcurl.com/

Having an opinion is one thing. Calling someone such disparaging things when you don't even know them or the situation, is quite another.

Now it's way past time to move on.

To all the wonderful curlers: thank you for another exciting year, enjoy your curling break & see you next season!

Old Post 04-22-11 02:30AM
Marvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin Find more posts by Marvin Add Marvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
If he starts talking about rum, sodomy and the lash RUN!!

I never ever talk about rum and sodomy together.
But when I pull out my scimitar from my scabbard, then you should run.

Old Post 04-22-11 08:41AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin

Would an arrogant, classless, cold, selfish person spend their time promoting their sport and raising money for charities...

Does Bernie Madoff count?

Old Post 04-22-11 12:15PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

So in just 4 pages we've equated a fairly harmless Canadian curler with Bernie Madoff. Place your bets here on how many pages it'll take for Godwin's Law to come into effect...

Old Post 04-22-11 02:31PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

OMG is this still going on??

To all the Jones Bashers- Bashers.

Jennifer Jones had a fabulous Season this year and has a great new third that she wanted and got to make her run to Sochi 2014.

What will not change is people's opinions of what happened with Cathy OC. Even the worst employees get some sort of "notice" that they are going to be terminated.

This was Team Canada... so people all across Canada feel like "their " Team was broken up...not just any old Curling Team.

What will never put a positive spin on this edgey story is Jennifer fans who bash everything and everyone who express a negative opinion. You are only making it worse.

It was this trashing for a few seasons now every Scotties and the Olympics..where Jones opponents like Mallett, Cathy OC, O'Rourke, Bernard.. etc.. were put down and basically "bashed" the way you accuse others of bashing Jones.

That nastiness has fueled the fire against Jones beyond what it might have been had there been some respect shown for these mentioned Teams.

It's really time to let the 2010 season "go" now.. this event did happen at the end of the 2009/10 season.

The more people bring up this subject and particularlty putting others into a defensive mode.. the more it will just drag on.

You cannot change what people believe.. and probably this will never change.
The deep damage has been done and Jones will have this follow her now probably until she retires.

For me, I look forward to next season and believe the Teams will just Curl on and put this behind them..
maybe everyone else should as well..

Old Post 04-22-11 05:03PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
So in just 4 pages we've equated a fairly harmless Canadian curler with Bernie Madoff. Place your bets here on how many pages it'll take for Godwin's Law to come into effect ...

"fairly harmless Canadian curler" ... that's the biggest bash yet dude!

Old Post 04-22-11 10:03PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
izeus
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

If curling wants to be in the big time then its the fans who pay for that. So the fan has a certain right to know whats going on. Plus its not about the income, its about putting the right PR spin on the issue. And lets face it, on this Jones gets a D minus.

The fans have no right to personal info. The players play, we watch. That's it. TeamJJ still has major sponsorship so I'd personally give her an A.

If these competitive teams are going to continue to make these moves they better wise up. Fans and media want explanations. Not providing them only makes people think the worst. The animosity against Jones has nothing to do with cutting Overton. It's her silence on the matter that causes it. It makes her-and her teammates-look arrogant, cold and classless.

Better wise up? LOL. OH NO a couple dozen people may not be happy that were making changes to OUR team. I'm sure the Curlers are going to lose sleep over this.

Mr/Mrs unregisterd, I know you think you're owed something and you feel that you're very important but TeamJJ business is none of yours.

Old Post 04-23-11 06:40AM
izeus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for izeus Click here to Send izeus a Private Message Find more posts by izeus Add izeus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Canadian curling Fans Pay????

Heck, curlers and Curlng fans are the cheapest sports people I've ever met!

Curling is one of the cheapest sports one can play and they complain about the cost.

Curling events are about the cheapest tickets for a sporting event of comparable level....and they complain.

Bar prices at most curling clubs a dead low....and they complain.

Game comes from Scotland.....that makes sense now!

Why any team breaks up is no ones business. If/when the real reason for the break up comes out...I wonder how many of the nay sayers and vicious attackers will submit appologies?

There are just too many nosy people with little in their own lives so they need to know everybody else’s business in hopes of finding some dirt to make their existence look better. They have no trouble developing some fictionally opinion base on their own uniformed personal bias and their reading of body language which of course they have no training to do in the first place.

It’s easier to go this route than actually think and develop an opinion based of facts which may require having no opinion until the facts come out.

I have no problem with different opinions if they are based on fact…....not assumption and rumours.

Old Post 04-24-11 12:51PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackFlash
Swing Artist

quote:

Sure its unclassy and its just plain dumb. When a pro team cuts a player they release them and buy them out. They also release a statement to that effect. They don't detail how much, just that it was done.

As for if its anyone's business. If curling wants to be in the big time then its the fans who pay for that. So the fan has a certain right to know whats going on. Plus its not about the income, its about putting the right PR spin on the issue. And lets face it, on this Jones gets a D minus.

Pretty stupid move for a corporate lawyer to make.

You know, I too have kind of had my fill of this topic and am looking forward to other things for a few months, and time to 'give curling a rest!' That said, after reading reams of postings re:JJ and what really happened almost a year ago, I really believe you have FINALLY stated the argument in a way I can totally agree with!! Now that that's done, on with the Spring/Summer!

Old Post 04-24-11 03:07PM
JackFlash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JackFlash Find more posts by JackFlash Add JackFlash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

I never ever talk about rum and sodomy together.
But when I pull out my scimitar from my scabbard, then you should run.

You guys are funny. See you tonight at the Perry. I am on the 6:00 draw.

Old Post 04-25-11 08:40AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Canadian curling Fans Pay????

Heck, curlers and Curlng fans are the cheapest sports people I've ever met!

Curling is one of the cheapest sports one can play and they complain about the cost.

Curling events are about the cheapest tickets for a sporting event of comparable level....and they complain.

Bar prices at most curling clubs a dead low....and they complain.

Game comes from Scotland.....that makes sense now!

Why any team breaks up is no ones business. If/when the real reason for the break up comes out...I wonder how many of the nay sayers and vicious attackers will submit appologies?

There are just too many nosy people with little in their own lives so they need to know everybody else’s business in hopes of finding some dirt to make their existence look better. They have no trouble developing some fictionally opinion base on their own uniformed personal bias and their reading of body language which of course they have no training to do in the first place.

It’s easier to go this route than actually think and develop an opinion based of facts which may require having no opinion until the facts come out.

I have no problem with different opinions if they are based on fact…....not assumption and rumours.

LMAO. Quick someone give Lolar a hug he's off on his, everybody else is stupid rant again

Old Post 04-25-11 06:46PM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by la_canadienne
(Just noticed a grammar error in my previous post..."I strongly disagree...")

No it's not democracy on a curling team. Each player earns their OWN right to qualify for events and cash.

Buh-bye has to wait until those rights are exhausted...anyway this is getting repetitive.

One more thing - nobody hates JJ because she is "too good"...does anyone remember anyone ever hating Schmirler's team? They were the best Canada has ever produced and Schmirler left us wanting more. I want our teams to win everything, I am waiting for a team like Schmirler that is consistent and reliable and sportsmanlike. We're not there yet, but I haven't given up on Amber. She has fire.

To be fair, a curling team is a democracy. People get cut from curling teams all the time because the other three thinks there will be a better fit somewhere else.

The problem with the JJ/COC dilemma is that they had already qualified for major funding, and had a guaranteed entry into the scotties.

I would say that COC should be entitled to 1/4 of the funding she earned curling with Jones, that had not yet been paid out by the time she was booted. I'm sure there would be a potential legal route to getting this money as well.

As for curling at the scotties together, technically she has the right to go, but I don't know if it's in anyones interest if she went with Jones this year. Besides, there's nothing preventing Jones from naming Kaitlyn as the 5th, having her throw vice all week, and keeping Cathy on the bench.

Either way, If I was Cathy, i'd be going after the money I had earned. Apart from that, she is better off going with her own team and working to beat Jones in the Manitoba Provincials next year.

Old Post 04-26-11 03:44AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan

good post Duct Tape.

You touch on what is at the heart of the matter here. Not that a team can't make a change-all teams do in sports and for all reasons.

What's different from all those changes teams make is the money and the earned opportunities that were denied Overton. It's why professional athletes have contracts, to ensure that they get compensated should an owner decide that they want to get rid of that player.

Another poster made the allegory to a business partnership. It was correct, you cannot oust a partner without paying them.

A curling team is an unique mix of a sports team-without multiple substitution-and a business partnership, as teammates equally share the costs and the proceeds of their efforts.

Jones isn't the only culprit making changes and denying players earned opportunities. (Keith Ryan from the Gushue team is an excellent example) However, her move with Overton was extremely high-profile and, IMO, very poorly handled by her an her teammates from a PR view. Probably the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back, so to speak.

The only real disapointment is the CCA's continued stance to ignore this growing issue. Here as well the WCT has to share blame. Both these organizations have to come up with a plan to see that both sides-the remaining team and the player in question-are protected.

Otherwise this sort of thing is going to happen again and worse.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.92.95.75

Old Post 04-26-11 12:15PM
Unregistered

The above rant is just speculation.
How do you know that COC wasn't paid any monies?
How do you know that COC did not care about money and was just pissed off she would not be curling for one of the best women's skips/teams in the country?
Why do you think teams would welcome more involvement by the CCA into their own affairs?
It's no one's business. Not even the CCA's!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.37.123

Old Post 04-26-11 02:00PM
Unregistered

Forgive me for treading in this oozing cesspool but...

"Because of the sensitivity of the negotiations, we will not be discussing terms in public, or in the media. Thank you."

Two sentences that every lawyer in the world knows. And I am sure that if they had been uttered by either side then most people complaining in this thread would be satisfied. They weren't. So the speculation will continue.

Dino again. Need to drug test tomorrow, so I have been drinking lots of water to flush out the residue. From 1982!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.165.109.90

Old Post 04-26-11 03:30PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
How do you know that COC did not care about money and was just pissed off she would not be curling for one of the best women's skips/teams in the country?
Why do you think teams would welcome more involvement by the CCA into their own affairs?

Dude if you sign up for a CCA event then you have to follow the CCA rules.

Old Post 04-26-11 03:58PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
The only real disapointment is the CCA's continued stance to ignore this growing issue. Here as well the WCT has to share blame. Both these organizations have to come up with a plan to see that both sides-the remaining team and the player in question-are protected.

This is not a WCT issue. It is a team issue between the four individuals involved. Teams are allowed to handle it however they chose and any influence by the organizations would not be beneficial. Rules are clear that you need three of four to continue in events, and if that's not maintained they don't play. If damages are applicable, then monetary compensation can be discussed through other avenues.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 04-26-11 04:02PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Dude if you sign up for a CCA event then you have to follow the CCA rules.

Dude, read what Gerry posted.
Jones team did. It's the Jones haters, pronounced "whiners", that have a problem.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.144.37.123

Old Post 04-26-11 04:08PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

This is not a WCT issue. It is a team issue between the four individuals involved. Teams are allowed to handle it however they chose and any influence by the organizations would not be beneficial. Rules are clear that you need three of four to continue in events, and if that's not maintained they don't play. If damages are applicable, then monetary compensation can be discussed through other avenues.

I would have to disagree with you on that point. The WCT was formed to further (ie professionalize) the game for the benefit of the players. The WCPA was a direct offshoot of that. Therefore the WCT, WCPA and CCA all share a vested interest in showing leadership in this issue-which will continue to grow in magnitude if not addressed (as it now has over the past 4 years).

It's also fair to add that players provide dues to these organizations who's job is to act on their behalf.

How would their input not be beneficial? You would have a governing body(s) providing leadership and guidance to the players to get them through a difficult situation?

Saying this is a non-issue for the WCT/WCPA is like the NHLPA stating that the CBA is up to the players to handle and not them.

I would venture the real reason for non-involvement stems from how precedent setting the situation will be. Better they do it though, than to one day have the courts make a ruling when some player turns around and sues them, the CCA and the sponsor of a major event.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 165.130.136.210

Old Post 04-26-11 07:54PM
Unregistered

quote:

The post you refer to was hardly a rant. Yours on the other hand, is.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 165.130.136.210

Old Post 04-26-11 07:56PM
Unregistered

LOL-yeah that's some logic you employ.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 165.130.136.206

Old Post 04-26-11 10:05PM
Unregistered

burberry sale

is an excellent student, a varsity athlete and a member of the National Honor Society, but her greatest joy comes from volunteering and helping others in need, said Sally Terrell, CASA volunteer and member of the Friends of CASA board. Doudoune Moncler Homme Five years ago less than half that were available. as today. Nike air max The bill would also increase penalties for retailers who evade tobacco taxes or sell tobacco without a license. Nike Blazer Toledo says that when Michelle Obama wore her bright lemongrasscolored inaugural ensemble, it made her a household name, even though she had been in business for 25 years. nike air max 11. The lasting legacy of Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu is a government administration building in Bucharest called the Casa Poporului, which is the second biggest building in the world, after the Pentagon. There are 1,000 rooms but the tour guide tells you, 'We will not visit all the rooms on this tour.' Thankfully. Nike Air Max Announcements Food Drink For Fun Contests Horoscopes Sudoku Home Life Families Health Home Garden Pets Primetime Religion Travel Whatcom Magazine Whatcom Weddings Opinion http://www.technacuir.fr/nike+air+max.php Bringing a satisfying salad to work doesn't need to be a choppingandmixing morning chore and it doesn't have to be soggy by noon. Bring a few small containers and you can make this surprisingly easy Greek salad that's as packed with flavor as the ones you buy for $12 or

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 201.210.20.47

Old Post 02-10-14 11:36AM
LeBaton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Many people still treat psychic readings as something fraudulent, although in my opinion these are the same psychologists, they just use slightly different methods in their work. The main thing is to find a reliable platform, and above all I recommend learning more about nebula and also reading reviews of this psychic center. There you can find the services of various specialists who will help you.

Old Post 10-25-23 09:44AM
LeBaton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LeBaton Find more posts by LeBaton Add LeBaton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote