Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2023 Mens Worlds
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Poor effort from Mouat against Edin. They had a chance to take the lead in 8 and blew it on an open hit and stick.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-23 05:57PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Mich_curler
Would anyone know how folks in USA can watch the World Men's Curling?

If you're rooting for the USA, I would strongly suggest that you NOT look for outlets to watch the Worlds.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 04-02-23 10:30PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Prior to the World's starting I had Sweden, Scotland, Switzerland, Canada, USA, and Norway as my playoff predictions (hopeful's is more accurate tbh) - so come on Shuster, get it together!
In all seriousness though, while Canada has not looked great so far, I expected them to finish somewhere between 8-4 and 11-1, and making it to the qualification game at worst. I still don't see them missing out on that game, but if they don't pull up their socks, 8-4 would be a pipe dream with teams like Japan/USA left as well as the top two: SWE/SCO at the end of the round robin.

Old Post 04-03-23 05:20AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

The good news for Canada is their loss to Norway is entirely Brad Gushue's individual fault. The bad news is I'm not sure I've ever seen him personally so off. It was the opposite at the Brier.

Old Post 04-03-23 09:24AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drg
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
The good news for Canada is their loss to Norway is entirely Brad Gushue's individual fault. The bad news is I'm not sure I've ever seen him personally so off. It was the opposite at the Brier.

Yeah, when a skip can't make a guard or a draw to the four foot in the 10th end, you are not going to win many games at the World Curling Championships, or even at your local club for that matter.

They better pick up their socks! The 1-2 game is probably out of reach already. They can't afford any more upsets or even the playoffs may be out of reach. .

Old Post 04-03-23 10:30AM
drg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drg Click here to Send drg a Private Message Find more posts by drg Add drg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by drg

Yeah, when a skip can't make a guard or a draw to the four foot in the 10th end, you are not going to win many games at the World Curling Championships, or even at your local club for that matter.

They better pick up their socks! The 1-2 game is probably out of reach already. They can't afford any more upsets or even the playoffs may be out of reach. .

The 1-2 is alive if they run the table. Scotland and Sweden have given their opponents openings so it's not unrealistic. But that requires Canada finding their edge again. And I think the team was there yesterday, just not Brad. So...doable, but I'm not sure it's very likely. But if they can beat Japan today and end up with 4 losses at worse they'll be fine.

But, hey, the Swiss just had a pretty bad game against Italy so anything can happen still.

Old Post 04-03-23 12:07PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

I think their strategy got way too defensive in the middle ends which didn't help but yeah, Ramsfjell just outshot Brad down the stretch. The first shot in 10 was a bad miss, 3 feet more and Norway has no shot. Gushue doesn't miss game rock too often and that one wasn't close.

Old Post 04-03-23 01:37PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Tough schedule for Canada, just 1 game today and tomorrow then 3 straight long days where they play early and late draws.

Old Post 04-03-23 02:06PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Quite the questions for quick qwitted qrulers, qurlingwatcher!

Old Post 04-03-23 06:13PM
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Mich_curler
Would anyone know how folks in USA can watch the World Men's Curling?

You can watch it on the recast curling channel - as there is no broadcaster with the US rights I believe. In Europe the recast broadcasts cost 50 cent in euros or 50 GB pence in the UK per game - I would assume its also 50c in the US.

You can also watch lots of boring repetitive 30 second ads to earn free credits - to avoid paying. You need to watch about 12 ads needed for the credits for one game.

Used to all be free on you tube - but the WCF decided to move it to this obscure channel!

https://worldcurling.org/2023/03/wmcc-broadcast/

https://watch.recast.tv/user/5pYk0

Old Post 04-03-23 06:52PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1

Does it even matter? Gushue has issued several disclaimers at the beginning of the worlds in an interview with Bob Weeks and lately in post game media scrums.

He said with Bob Weeks that even though the event is held in Canada, international people run the event which means control over ice conditions.

Then in the post game interview of the Norway game, Gushue said he was guessing weight with his final rock in the 10th end.

The question is who is responsible for the changing ice conditions? And is this insider knowledge to the advantage of everyone except Canada (and USA?)?

Gushue speaks in terms of pathways not general ice conditions (eg frost buildup), kind of implying that whoever is at the computers of the ice plant can preprogram ice conditions of individual pathways.

Its kind of remarkable that both the men and women have not won at the international level in the past 4 years. And really not much since 2013. Ask yourself why that is?

I realize you are the Qanon curler but please explain one thing: who would benefit from the fixing of a sport that almost no one outside of Canada cares about? Is it for money? Power? To destabilize the election? Just for the hell of it?

And as for not winning in 4 years in mens and womens the answer is four letter words: Edin and Patz.

Old Post 04-03-23 08:39PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Canada has been relegated to the B side at the world junior level

Junior relegation is no big deal. Canada just has to qualify along with everyone else, instead of getting one of the automatic spots for next year.

Compare that with Scotties/Brier. Only Gushue and Einarson get the automatic spots next year. Everyone else has to qualify again.

You wouldn't say that Bottcher, Koe, Dunstone, Homan, Jones, Lawes, etc. are all relegated.

Old Post 04-04-23 04:32AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Martym

You can watch it on the recast curling channel - as there is no broadcaster with the US rights I believe. In Europe the recast broadcasts cost 50 cent in euros or 50 GB pence in the UK per game - I would assume its also 50c in the US.

You can also watch lots of boring repetitive 30 second ads to earn free credits - to avoid paying. You need to watch about 12 ads needed for the credits for one game.

Used to all be free on you tube - but the WCF decided to move it to this obscure channel!

https://worldcurling.org/2023/03/wmcc-broadcast/

https://watch.recast.tv/user/5pYk0

You get 100 credits for signing up as well. What I did, was invite multiple email accounts and register them, so then i also got additional credits to my main account that way, as well as 100 credits to the invited accounts. Havent had to watch any ads for over a year (albeit, i only ever watch world curling - mixed dubs/4 team events on there, so lol)
Also, not all of the games are 100 credits, the USA/Turkey game is only 50 credits.

Last edited by myhouse911 on 04-04-23 at 07:02PM

Old Post 04-04-23 05:53AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
I'm not making this stuff up. Go watch Brad Gushue's post game interview after the Japan game.

Gushue: "I think our team felt a lot more comfortable out there...the speed stayed the same out there throughout the game...you know last night there was almost 2 seconds difference...tonight from what we threw in practice to what I threw on the last rock was almost the exact same"

All I'm doing is repeating what Gushue is *constantly* complaining about....changing ice conditions that should not be changing.

What fascinates me about qurlingwatcher is they both 1) care about curling enough to have invented a George Soros conspiracy theory about it, and 2) know so little about curling they've never encountered difficult evening draw ice on opening weekend before. Which is wild since this exact thing happened at the Scotties earlier this year.

Imagine having such a pathetic existence you're left developing rationale for why the WEF is screwing over athletes in a sport you don't even compete in. Truly sad.

Old Post 04-04-23 06:16AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Not sure why John Shuster chose to draw against 2 counters rather than play a pretty straightforward run back double in the last end. Scotland get out of jail in that game.

Old Post 04-04-23 12:28PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Gold and Silver are going crazy while our banks are on the brink of collapse.

I'm not even sure there will be a 2024 curling season. Tim Hortons left for a good reason and we are about to find out what it was.

Instead of talking like an alien why don't you just speak like a human being? What are you saying and what do you think will happen?

Old Post 04-04-23 01:59PM
alex
Swing Artist

Kind of disappointing to only have one TV game on Monday and Tuesday. Hard to really get into watching the competition.

Old Post 04-04-23 02:06PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Kind of disappointing to only have one TV game on Monday and Tuesday.

On the contrary, those of us watching on Recast are overwhelmed by the amount of games. It's literally 4 times the amount of real time (3 times or less if some sheets are not used). A 3 hour session on the ice produces 12 watchable hours of broadcast. It's impossible to keep up unless you "watch" multiple live streams simultaneously.

Old Post 04-04-23 02:17PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Scotland really not looking sharp so far this week. Is anyone going to dethrone Edin this year..?

Old Post 04-04-23 09:47PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911
Scotland really not looking sharp so far this week. Is anyone going to dethrone Edin this year..?

Sweden sure do look good, though they've yet to play any of the top teams except the Scots (I guess Japan?). Beating the Norwegians tomorrow would sure make them clear front runners,

This is not, however, the women's worlds again where there was 1 world class team and then a bunch of strugglers. Shooting percentage wise the top team is actually Canada at 87.7 followed by Sweden at 87.4. But the Swiss and italians are both >85 with Scotland, Japan, Norway and even the USA above 81. There was one skip above 81% at the women's, there are 7 here. So this seems like a tournament where the playoffs will be intense.

Old Post 04-04-23 11:45PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

Will this affect play one wonders?
https://www.tsn.ca/curling/spring-s...downs-1.1941019

Old Post 04-05-23 04:47AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Scotland was the team many were sayng would knock off Sweden . Very , very fortunate to be 4-2 though. They should, at the very least be 3-3 . Shuster missed a draw to beat them yesterday he makes most of the time. And if retornaz had ade his last draw properly Scotland very likely loses that one too. They could have been 2-4 at this point. They just don't look sharp and they still have norway , Japan and Canada to come.

The ice conditions could also be about to get tricky which, won't help them.

This team reminds me of Muirhead. Dominate at euros but up and down at worlds. This seems like one of the down years. I could see them missing playoffs. Even if they get there I don't see them winning or even medaling based off what I've seen

Canada,Switzerland , sweden and Norway been the best of the field so far but things can change

Old Post 04-05-23 08:09AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Scotland was the team many were sayng would knock off Sweden . Very , very fortunate to be 4-2 though. They should, at the very least be 3-3 . Shuster missed a draw to beat them yesterday he makes most of the time. And if retornaz had ade his last draw properly Scotland very likely loses that one too. They could have been 2-4 at this point. They just don't look sharp and they still have norway , Japan and Canada to come.

The ice conditions could also be about to get tricky which, won't help them.

This team reminds me of Muirhead. Dominate at euros but up and down at worlds. This seems like one of the down years. I could see them missing playoffs. Even if they get there I don't see them winning or even medaling based off what I've seen

Canada,Switzerland , sweden and Norway been the best of the field so far but things can change

I think Scotland read this post and gained motivation because they absolutely hammered Japan.

After being forced to take 1 with hammer in the first, Scotland then stole single points in the next three ends, Japan hit back with a skip's deuce to go into the half time break losing 4-2.

Scotland then took a whopping five points in the 6th end to go up 9-2 and that was enough for Japan to throw in the towel.

Old Post 04-05-23 10:51AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

I was just about to come in here and say Edin's human (For completely missing an open draw against 3 counters in the 9th)

BUT THEN, he just went and made the best shot I've ever seen to take us to an extra

Old Post 04-05-23 12:00PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

I think Scotland read this post and gained motivation because they absolutely hammered Japan.

After being forced to take 1 with hammer in the first, Scotland then stole single points in the next three ends, Japan hit back with a skip's deuce to go into the half time break losing 4-2.

Scotland then took a whopping five points in the 6th end to go up 9-2 and that was enough for Japan to throw in the towel.

yeah, They played well there. Think that first end save Bruce made is what woke them up though, lol.

It's been a while with this format so let me correct something i said before. I said I could see them missibg playoffs. I was thinking as in the traditional final 4. It's hard not yo see them top 6 but I could see them losing in the playoff like they did in their 2nd appearance.

Theu still seem up and down here. Not like 2018 or 2 years ago.

The difference with them and Muirhead is that their b level is still enough to fight fir a playoff. Hers wasn't

Old Post 04-05-23 12:12PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote