Event Management System @ CurlingZone.com

Click to return to the CCR Home Page

LOGIN:          PASS:

forget your password?

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.6 CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > US Mixed Doubles Nationals
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

US Mixed Doubles Nationals

Can teams switch the player that thorws 1st rock during a mixed doubles game? And why has it evolved that nearly all teams have women throw 1st/last rocks?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-18 12:30AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Ooh, ooh, a question I can guarantee the answer to...well...half at least.

Per the rules (WCF R15.D, paralleled in the CCA and USCA rules), "...The player delivering the first stone can change from end to end".

I can't definitively speak as to why the current strategic vogue is F-M-M-M-F, but I suspect it's because of a potential perceived value in having the stronger takeout player in the middle shots, where that may be advantageous. A lot of mixed ends have last stones as touch draws, where there isn't as much inherent strength variance between the genders as there is in high hits.

Old Post 01-19-18 08:06AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

I saw some of the mixed doubles teams at the Continental Cup last weekend did try switching it around a few times.

Old Post 01-19-18 11:15AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:

I can't definitively speak as to why the current strategic vogue is F-M-M-M-F, but I suspect it's because of a potential perceived value in having the stronger takeout player in the middle shots, where that may be advantageous. A lot of mixed ends have last stones as touch draws, where there isn't as much inherent strength variance between the genders as there is in high hits.

Having played quite a bit of mixed doubles the last two years, that't pretty much it. It's the middle rocks where you are more likely to play runbacks or double peels. Not that many women can't play these shots, too, though! We have on occasion flipped it around when were weren't clicking in the usual order. The advantage of having the female player in the middle position is that the male sweepers are usually stronger, which can make a significant difference dragging draws so the right spot, or getting around that guard.

FYI, I do think there is a demonstrable advantage to spot curling, allowing the sweeper to get on rocks right away if needed. If you chase your rocks down the ice, you never catch up to it until at least half-way down. That's losing a lot of potential shot management. It also allows very natural and effective sweeping of takeouts.

Last edited by RockDoc on 01-19-18 at 05:57PM

Old Post 01-19-18 05:54PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote